Are Orange Fives over hyped?

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,684
    supersonic wrote:
    and I shall ask about getting the AM in for review.
    Yes please Sonic....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    and I shall ask about getting the AM in for review.
    Yes please Sonic....
    +1
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    evo3ben wrote:
    Canyon bikes are a good price with out a doubt, but reliability over long term? My 5 has been all over Wales, Glentress, CRC marathons, Chicksands on the jumps (small ones lol) and clocking up over 80km a week and still not a single problem. Can a Canyon put up with the same abuse?

Are you having a laugh? Any quality bike would cope with that "abuse".

(this seems to be another particular Five owner trait- assuming that their bike is doing something that others couldn't. Remember the mighty Grantway? "My Five has done 4 foot drops and the last bit of Climachx!!!1!")
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Northwind, nail, hit head.
  • Northwind
    That seems like it would hurt. Do I really have to?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • getonyourbike
    :lol:
  • Anonymous
    :lol:
  • dubmodder
    dubmodder Posts: 100
    Canyons do seem a bargain, but then you are dealing with an internet only brand with no dealer support.

Northwind is right, all quality bikes should cope with that "abuse" but there are a few brands that come to mind that fail pretty easily.
  • getonyourbike
    dubmodder wrote:
    Canyons do seem a bargain, but then you are dealing with an internet only brand with no dealer support.

Northwind is right, all quality bikes should cope with that "abuse" but there are a few brands that come to mind that wouldn't.
    Canyon recently opened a UK service centre which from reports on this forum, is very good.
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    Northwind wrote:
    evo3ben wrote:
    Canyon bikes are a good price with out a doubt, but reliability over long term? My 5 has been all over Wales, Glentress, CRC marathons, Chicksands on the jumps (small ones lol) and clocking up over 80km a week and still not a single problem. Can a Canyon put up with the same abuse?

Are you having a laugh? Any quality bike would cope with that "abuse".

(this seems to be another particular Five owner trait- assuming that their bike is doing something that others couldn't. Remember the mighty Grantway? "My Five has done 4 foot drops and the last bit of Climachx!!!1!")

Your getting me all wrong here. Im not saying that 5's are the bike to have and as for being named a typical 5 owner, maybe you are a typical bike owner that likes to label other bike owners as typical types of owners because they say they like what they have :lol: . What bike do you have? does it suit you? does it do what you want it too? if yes then you are the same as me, very happy with what i have. If i hated it, it didnt suit me or was shite then i wouldnt have it lol so of course im going to say i like it, same as anyone else :roll:
    What im trying to say is why just the Orange 5's that get this treatment. The Lapierre range is rant and raved about and owners saying how good they are and the best since sliced bread and now more recently the Canyon range. Lapierre's have been up the top for a few years so why not a thread about them being over hyped?? And as for the Canyon, all im getting at is that i think they need a bit of time to be proved as good as people are saying they are.
    And the magazines, i think they are all great and give there readers good information about products and bikes of which doesnt mean they are the best just because they say so as its up to the consumer to test for themselves and find the right bike for them. The mags give us ideas not decisions.
  • Anonymous
    Nope, you definitely are the "typical" orange 5 owner.
    Terribly sorry, there's nothing much you can do about it.
  • Northwind
    evo3ben wrote:
    Your getting me all wrong here.

Not being funny but am I really? This post you just made, makes perfect sense. The one earlier where you described pretty standard, low-stress use for a mountain bike as "abuse" and questioned whether another bike could handle it, didn't.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    I don't care whether other people like my Orange 5.

I am particularly pleased with the fact that it's design and built in the uk - that means a lot to me. I find it sad that people are so disparaging of a successful British company when so many of the bikes people seem to favour are mass produced in the far east.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    people seem to favour are mass produced in the far east

It's because they are generally beautifully made and good value.
  • YIMan
    And meanwhile our money goes out of the country instead of supporting our own industry.
  • supersonic
    I bet all the stuff you own isn't British!

And I bet given the alternatives, you sometimes still buy foreign. I think a lot of people do - you just draw your line elsewhere from some others.

In some ways it is a bit of a catch 22 - many people will not buy British as it costs more, but until people do the prices will not come down. Add to that the fact that far eastern building facilities are in excess of what we have and it is not surpising a lot of parts are imported here.
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    Plus we all know frames hand made in Canada by men with beards are the best you can buy....

Right?
  • Anonymous
    I've always thought Orange 5s have that box section rear end just to make Hope Pro 2s even louder.

No one can argue that Pro2s aren't a bit noisy, but following a Orange 5 with a Pro2 rear hub is bloody Armageddon.

It may be a bit of a conspiracy theory to think that the two companies have colluded in some way, but it dose add up.

[edit] Better add a ;) before someone thinks I'm actually serious. [/edit]
  • Having just bought one myself and being a welder by trade, It is well worth the extra money just for the hand made frame itself instead of a `jig` made far east frame, but this is my own opinion ofcourse......
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i was at cwmcarn last thursday night and i saw 5 orange 5's (including one of our lads riding one) in about 10 mins :lol:

they must read mbr :lol:
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Having just bought one myself and being a welder by trade, It is well worth the extra money just for the hand made frame itself instead of a `jig` made far east frame, but this is my own opinion ofcourse......

So who in the industry do you work for with 19 posts...

I have several friends who weld, welding and fabricators and all sorts, and not one has said the orange is well welded in fact normally the oposite :s messy sloppy welds are normally the point of the day.
  • YIMan
    welshkev wrote:
    i was at cwmcarn last thursday night and i saw 5 orange 5's (including one of our lads riding one) in about 10 mins :lol:

they must read mbr :lol:

Good for them. British riders riding frames designed and built in Britain on British trails.
  • mountain2000 wrote:
    Having just bought one myself and being a welder by trade, It is well worth the extra money just for the hand made frame itself instead of a `jig` made far east frame, but this is my own opinion ofcourse......

So who in the industry do you work for with 19 posts...

I have several friends who weld, welding and fabricators and all sorts, and not one has said the orange is well welded in fact normally the oposite :s messy sloppy welds are normally the point of the day.

There is 19 posts for a reason, To keep away from people who strongly like or dislike something, why? because there is no reasoning to people with strong views. Its all down to personal preference. And for where i work, is my business.. and no its not a bike company
  • MattJWL
    MattJWL Posts: 147
    supersonic wrote:
    But depends what bit of the Alps you ride, I know people who take XC race bikes there!

Like SS says, just cos something's called XC doesn't mean it can't be ridden in the Alps. I ride in the Alps quite a bit; having an XC bike with 100mm travel means that I just take it a bit easy on the really rough stuff.
    Intense Carbine SL
    "Chinarello"
    Taylor Made
    Off to pastures new:
    CELL Team Pro
    Intense Spider FRO
    Giant XTC Composite Clone
    1992 Fisher Al-1
    1990 Raleigh Mirage
    1988 Cloria Italian MTB
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    D-Cyph3r wrote:
    Plus we all know frames hand made in Canada by men with beards are the best you can buy....

Right?

no%20smiley.gif

It is quite clearly zie Germans, Jurgen and Wolfgang can throw a rig together - and not a Yak in sight..

I've got no interest in trying a 5, there is apparently such a thing as bad publicity; just ask Giggsy..
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • supersonic
    The robot welded frames are usually higher quality than a hand welded frame - robot welding can repeat the same weld time and time again to an incredible accuracy.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    supersonic wrote:
    The robot welded frames are usually higher quality than a hand welded frame - robot welding can repeat the same weld time and time again to an incredible accuracy.

<3 this.. mass production has real advantages at points, unless your having a custom frame built to your angles and spec, I think the quality control and testin froma large manufacturing process is preferable on an item that you may give a fair bit of stick too
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    RichardSwt wrote:
    I've always thought Orange 5s have that box section rear end just to make Hope Pro 2s even louder.

No one can argue that Pro2s aren't a bit noisy, but following a Orange 5 with a Pro2 rear hub is bloody Armageddon.

It may be a bit of a conspiracy theory to think that the two companies have colluded in some way, but it dose add up.

[edit] Better add a ;) before someone thinks I'm actually serious. [/edit]
    :D
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • YIMan
    supersonic wrote:

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but am interested in where you got the information to back this up. What do you mean by higher quality? Stronger, less prone to failure welds on average? Percentage of welds passing NDT examination?
  • supersonic
    Look up Merida:

http://www.merida-bikes.com/en_gb/cms/6 ... ed-systems

These are are one of the (if not the) largest frame builders in the world.

While that link might not provide the exact numbers you are looking for, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts against this approach. If you have figures, please provide them.

If not, then I guess we will have to go on heresay. But I dare say I can find many more credible people that agree that robot welding in this trade provides the best results.
This discussion has been closed.