Contador June 6

12346»

Comments

• disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    One or two doesn' convince you?

There aren't that many teams at the top of cycling. o surely if you're losing one or two a year due to lack of sponsorship it IS an issue.

CA folded after 20+ years in the peloton as they coudn't replace the sponsor.

Kelme could never attract another sponsor after they were revealed to be running a team doping programme

Contadors former team lost their sponsor because of doping.

Feretti couldn't replace Fassa Bortolo when they quit because big companies don't want to associate their image with a sport with massive problems.

So if the sport cannot attract large sponsors willing to pony up the amounts that the likes of Riis, Bruyneel, Gallopin etc need to run these massive teams, they are going to have to cut back on salaries and on support staff, aren't they?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • disgruntledgoat
    Oh and Mapei too. Who must have put more into cycling than nearly any other sponsor. Quit because of doping (although god knows how Squinzi couldn't figure out what was going on in his own team)
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,173
    andyp wrote:
    I see it differently, how many genuine blue chip sponsors are involved in cycling? Not many, most sponsors are medium sized businesses whose involvement stems from the passion of the boss (Quick Step, Omega-Pharma, Liquigas et al).

Some major teams have struggled to replace title sponsors in recent seasons (Riis being one until Saxo Bank agreed to stay on longer, Movistar only came in to save that team at the last possible minute, possibly after political pressure was applied in Spain).

There is news just today that Radioshack are considering their options for next year too, and that's clearly due to doping allegations.

Having a sport that is perceived as 'dirty' does not help when it comes to attracting larger sponsors. Whether that matters in a sport where sponsorship is mainly aimed at local markets, is a another matter.

Good post.
    Sometimes you have to take a look 'from the outside' - it's just another cycling doping story. Makes the sport look a circus.
    I can't believe that Bertie will be on the start line come July - after what happened in last year's race. Still the issue hasn't been dealt with - no excuses!!
    He was found with a banned substance in his system - (so it was minute) that's no defence - and the cock and bull story, or is it just a bull - is something out of jackanory.

I'm sad to say, and apologise for the generalisation, but I don't trust any Spanish sporting team/ person....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    The issue of the sport being a laughing stock is summed up by one of my colleagues, when I was talking about the Giro a few weeks ago he said "Contador? That's the one that cheated isn't he? Why is he not banned?"

And as for sponsors pulling out because of doping, look on further than Germany. Every single Pro Tour level team and the broadcasters, too.
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    But he was suspended from racing whilst his case was heard. He was found innocent and ge returned to work.
    This is an appeal by third parties who want to punish him. Why should he not make a living?
    There are lots of double standards here and let's not forget who the people racing for second were.
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    andyp wrote:
    I see it differently, how many genuine blue chip sponsors are involved in cycling? Not many, most sponsors are medium sized businesses whose involvement stems from the passion of the boss (Quick Step, Omega-Pharma, Liquigas et al).

Some major teams have struggled to replace title sponsors in recent seasons (Riis being one until Saxo Bank agreed to stay on longer, Movistar only came in to save that team at the last possible minute, possibly after political pressure was applied in Spain).

There is news just today that Radioshack are considering their options for next year too, and that's clearly due to doping allegations.

Having a sport that is perceived as 'dirty' does not help when it comes to attracting larger sponsors. Whether that matters in a sport where sponsorship is mainly aimed at local markets, is a another matter.
    I think Riis has a track record of retaining and winning new corporate sponsors, Csc, Saxo and now sunguard . Sunguard is a massive company.

Sponsors come and go, it's what they do and large corporate marketing budgets have to be used effectively. Cycling is comparatively low cost and followed all over the world, even a non cycling Britain is waking up.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    Obviously I refer to being off work with no pay etc.

Who is losing jobs? Who is struggling for a sponsor?

According to reports in Denmark today, Riis is struggling to find a sponsor for next season.

If you live by the sword, be prepared to die by the sword...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    andyp wrote:

According to reports in Denmark today, Riis is struggling to find a sponsor for next season.

Riis is a bloody good DS. Cycling would lose out if he's no longer in the car.

He's won the two biggest races of the year so far.

The Giro and the Flanders.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wada-to ... erol-rules

Wonder how it would affect the CAS hearing if the experts recommend a threshold for Clen...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • disgruntledgoat
    andyp wrote:

Riis is a bloody good DS. Cycling would lose out if he's no longer in the car.

A good DS in sporting terms. A bad egg in moral ones. He's admitted to cheating to win his own Tour, has been at the helm of a team with a distinct niff around it for years (Basso, Schleck F, Hamilton) and ran that sham anti doping programme a while back.

I would not lose any sleep if Bjaarne Riis left cycling.

@gietvangent
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    He's won the two biggest races of the year so far.

The Giro and the Flanders.
    Didn't Nick Nuyens and Alberto Contador win those :wink:
    More seriously, neither of them (or their teams) did anything tactically remarkable on the way to their victories.
    His performance at last year's TDF was weird as well. Did he really tell Andy to attack early on the climb to Avoriaz (if so, I'd join you in mourning his potential loss - there isn't enough of that attack minded GT riding) or was he signed up to the mind boggling "we'll see what happens on the Tourmalet" plan all along?