Contador June 6

Comments

• wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    roadiesean wrote:
    I just can't understand why the UCI don't do something about any of this. It is bizarre, they make a huge song and dance about wanting a clean sport, they name names and then they allow this sort of farce go on.

Its not that I hate Contador or any of these riders and FF before you describe my "rantings" as ignorant and ill informed, let me just say I have been closely involved with cycling my entire life on two continents and I have probably watched more bike races than you have had hot dinners. What really gets on my t1ts is the fact that he's been caught, he's been found to have drugs in his system and because (like Lance) he has better lawyers than the rest of them, he gets away with it for an age (just like your other mate Valverde FF) until it all finally catches up with them, the finally ban them and take their titles away. This is a double disgrace because :-
    1. It taints the sport endlessly, makes them all look like idiots
    2. It turns people off watching great races because the donut winning will have his title taken away
    3. And most disturbingly of all, people like Wouter Waylandts lose their life away (not always literally) in the cause of a race which is meaningless because the guy who "wins" it is a cheat and will probably lose it at some point in the future. Ask Oscar Pereira whether he REALLY feels like a TdF winner, he didn't get the glory on the day, Landis the cheating, drug taking maggot took that and then spent the next 5 years trying to pretend (like Contador, Hamilton, Ricco et al) that it wasn't me Guv, its not fair, I was robbed. In short IT SUCKS !

It really isn't about whether or not they are all at it, it is the fact that he has finally been busted, he was named in Puerto and "oh surprise another Spanish rider named that gets off" and finally he gets caught, spins some load of old pony and pulls the wool over the UCI's eyes and gets to race and win for another bunch of time. It makes me sick.

I'm with yer man above, its time to give up watching and get out and ride my bike.

:roll: :roll:

+1
    Well said sir. If AC rides in the tour I for one will not be watching. Not doubt we will have some buffoon coming out with pearls of wisdom such as he is popular with other riders so he should be allowed to race. WTF.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    roadiesean wrote:
    I just can't understand why the UCI don't do something about any of this. It is bizarre, they make a huge song and dance about wanting a clean sport, they name names and then they allow this sort of farce go on.

There really isn't much they can do now, is there? When you actually look at it, short of appealing to Contador on a personal level not to race, they have no recourse.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    Roadiesean - amen to all of that, every single word.
  • iainf72
    It's been moved to 1'st / 2nd of August.

Bert's off training in the Alps to find the best place to dump on the 2nd Grand Tour of the year from.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    ASO decline the presence of Saxo if Bert rides?
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Maybe this is crazy logic...

If he is clean now (Im assuming he was tested every day he was in pink at the Giro) and was a class above everyone else, why would he have doped in the past? Maybe he did unwittingly eat the contaminated beef.

But back on topic this delay helps no one or the sport itself. If he is genuinely innocent then I can see why he is fighting tooth and nail (I know I would be) but it is going to cast a massive shadow over the tour. Interesting to see if Saxo get banned by ASO or if Riis puts pressure on Bertie to sit it out.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    dougzz wrote:
    I really hope so. I stopped watching the Giro because I couldn't bear to watch such an 'extraterrestrial' performance from a cyclist who shouldn't have been there in the first place.
    I look forward to the Tour, but won't be watching if Contador rides.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Contador's been on a higher level but his rivals were Scarponi, fodder in the Tour If he tried. So we might see a better contest.

As for the delay, don't forget the UCI sat on this for months. Then the Spanish played 'manana' for a long time. The delay isn't normal or fair.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Contador's been on a higher level but his rivals were Scarponi, fodder in the Tour If he tried. So we might see a better contest.

As for the delay, don't forget the UCI sat on this for months. Then the Spanish played 'manana' for a long time. The delay isn't normal or fair.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    dougzz wrote:

Here's what they should do.

1. Ban Contador from the Tour

(Contador will then appeal the decision to the CAS, like Boonen did).

2. Then point out to him that his lawyers seem to like to take their time and have no sense of urgency and get the hearing pushed to September.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Chung Mee
    Chung Mee Posts: 48
    Nickwill wrote:
    dougzz wrote:
    I really hope so. I stopped watching the Giro because I couldn't bear to watch such an 'extraterrestrial' performance from a cyclist who shouldn't have been there in the first place.
    I look forward to the Tour, but won't be watching if Contador rides.

Some of the remarks in this thread are extraordinarily offensive towards Contador and anyone who says that they like him as a rider.

You stopped watching the Giro and won't watch the Tour? Will anyone else on earth even begin to notice or care? So What that you're not watching, millions of others will.

Is there a Diss LA thread anywhere? He is a far greater cheat, and a far greater bullying litigious grudge-bearing holier-than-thou cheat than AC - IF Contador did, which is still unproven. The more I read about Armstrong the worse it gets, and the sicker all those TdF "victories" are. IMO.

I've also noted that this part of the forum is completely unmoderated, which accounts for so many posts which would be erased as libellous, elsewhere on other messageboards.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    To anyone who wont watch the tour because Contador is in it - wouldnt it be better to not watch the vuelta if you blame the Spanish - or the world champs if you blame the UCI? Admittedly some people might not watch them in the first place, maybe we will have a decision by the time they are on. Besides in the tour Contador should be tired from the Giro and a lot of journalists will be keeping a very close eye on him. Should make things difficult for him, wouldnt you like to watch it and see him get beaten?

As for other riders ganging up on him, ie not allowing him any space in the peloton, i have no idea if this would happen or not.
  • Cumulonimbus
    RichN95 wrote:
    dougzz wrote:

Here's what they should do.

1. Ban Contador from the Tour

(Contador will then appeal the decision to the CAS, like Boonen did).

2. Then point out to him that his lawyers seem to like to take their time and have no sense of urgency and get the hearing pushed to September.

I like it :D
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    I'm not happy that AC will now be at Le Tour.
    It makes a mockery of the system and brings yet more shame on the governing bodies.

Plus the fact it'll be a closer race without him.
  • iainf72
    Cogidubnus wrote:

If he is clean now (Im assuming he was tested every day he was in pink at the Giro) and was a class above everyone else, why would he have doped in the past? Maybe he did unwittingly eat the contaminated beef.

Passing anti-doping tests only proves you've passed an anti-doping test.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    To anyone who wont watch the tour because Contador is in it - wouldnt it be better to not watch the vuelta if you blame the Spanish - or the world champs if you blame the UCI? Admittedly some people might not watch them in the first place, maybe we will have a decision by the time they are on. Besides in the tour Contador should be tired from the Giro and a lot of journalists will be keeping a very close eye on him. Should make things difficult for him, wouldnt you like to watch it and see him get beaten?

As for other riders ganging up on him, ie not allowing him any space in the peloton, i have no idea if this would happen or not.

His very presence in the TdF risks ruining the actual racing. The Giro looked very much like a lot of riders that rode for 2nd and hoped CAS ruled in their favour. Attacking Contador to go for the win was too dangerous. If the TdF is reduced to that as well it will be a travesty.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957

When was the last time anybody had the gumption to try this? I think I said it earlier in the Giro, if they all do that, one of them will lose! And then what would the sponsors think?

I have no clue how ten or so Italian teams didn't manage to set something up between them.

Also, when was the last time we saw a podium favourite, Evans aside, have a bad day?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850

His very presence in the TdF risks ruining the actual racing. The Giro looked very much like a lot of riders that rode for 2nd and hoped CAS ruled in their favour. Attacking Contador to go for the win was too dangerous. If the TdF is reduced to that as well it will be a travesty.

+1. Had completely lost interest in the Giro by the end because of this - even the close fight for podium places felt utterly stupid.

However, if he turns up and cuddles whips his @rse in the mountains I shall be awfully glad he came :D

Strava is not Zen.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Chung Mee wrote:

You stopped watching the Giro and won't watch the Tour? Will anyone else on earth even begin to notice or care? So What that you're not watching, millions of others will.

Sports can and will fall out of favour, some do merely due to the potentional audience losing interest, it falls out of fashion, but others do when they ignore their problems. One of the main reasons people watch sport is to see someone delcared a winner, a geniune moment of triumph..if they know they may not be seeing that then they really will reconsider turning up at all.

I suspect you are a fishing with your comment by I've given you the benefit of doubt and responded.
  • bramstoker
    bramstoker Posts: 250
    Chung Mee wrote:

Sports can and will fall out of favour, some do merely due to the potentional audience losing interest, it falls out of fashion, but others do when they ignore their problems. One of the main reasons people watch sport is to see someone delcared a winner, a geniune moment of triumph..if they know they may not be seeing that then they really will reconsider turning up at all.

I suspect you are a fishing with your comment by I've given you the benefit of doubt and responded.

Well, as in my "cycling mixed messages, will they get to see someone delcared a winner, a geniune moment of triumph, or will it be as part of a "deal".
    A feather is kinky, a whole chicken is just perverse.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Remember wot Jens said- he may still be eaten by bears in the mountains.
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Looks like one hurdle to his appearance at this year's TdF has been successfully removed

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8615/Prudhomme-says-ASO-wont-block-Contador-from-Tour-de-France.aspx

:cry:
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    What a bag of turd...
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Wouldn't condone it, but I wonder if it isn't a distinct possibility that if he rides TDF this year, one or more of the more fervent cycling fans takes an opportunity to delay Contador on an Alp i.e. grabbing him.

I can't believe the UCI and ASO can be about to let him wreck the TDF again after testing positive in last year's edition.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    The bookies have started taking bets on Contador to win the Tour. He's currently 4/6
  • Cumulonimbus
    The bookies have started taking bets on Contador to win the Tour. He's currently 4/6

Yeah saw some odds last week. Not sure i think he should be odds on given how close it was last year and he has just done the Giro. Then again maybe Riis is better than his previous DS. HMmm
  • Cumulonimbus
    Wouldn't condone it, but I wonder if it isn't a distinct possibility that if he rides TDF this year, one or more of the more fervent cycling fans takes an opportunity to delay Contador on an Alp i.e. grabbing him.

Yeah i had wondered if he might have more to fear from the fans than from the other riders. Out of all the spectators on Alpe d'Huez it would only take one. Can certainly see there being plenty of booing/mooing.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    hommelbier wrote:
    Looks like one hurdle to his appearance at this year's TdF has been successfully removed

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8615/Prudhomme-says-ASO-wont-block-Contador-from-Tour-de-France.aspx

:cry:
    "The delay is not only frustrating for Prudhomme, but also for fans of the sport. Contador was tested on the second rest day of last year’s Tour, was found positive for Clenbuterol in August, and the news was officially announced in September. On November 8th the UCI requested the Spanish federation RFEC open a disciplinary proceeding; under the UCI’s own rules, a decision should have been made within one month.

The governing body however relaxed its own deadlines for the RFEC, citing the complexity of the case, but itself caused a further delay when it didn’t respond in time to a request by the RFEC for additional feedback. A verdict was eventually given on February 15th, when the RFEC then decided to clear him outright. That was over two months later than the usual timeframe for doping cases.

The UCI then took the maximum permitted amount of time to lodge an appeal to CAS, confirming on March 14th that it would fight the decision."

Couldn't resist posting the above for those that say what can the UCI do?

Not wait until November 8th for an August +ive to be passed to the national federation. They've knowingly or stupidly, depending how you view it, assisted Bertie's delaying game every step of the way. Maximum delay before they appealed to CAS too.
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    Chung Mee wrote:

Is there a Diss LA thread anywhere? He is a far greater cheat, and a far greater bullying litigious grudge-bearing holier-than-thou cheat than AC - IF Contador did, which is still unproven. The more I read about Armstrong the worse it gets, and the sicker all those TdF "victories" are. IMO.

I've also noted that this part of the forum is completely unmoderated, which accounts for so many posts which would be erased as libellous, elsewhere on other messageboards.

No, you won't find any anti Armstrong threads on here :shock: :lol: