The beginners guide to chinese carbon wheels

Comments

• bails1310 wrote:
    Wheels all buit and very pleased with them, visually.

Probably wont get much use for a bit but no complaints from the bike shop who built them, can only admire them from the garage at the moment!

Anyone thinking of the Hope Hubs then they look and sound great.

Have stuck the on the Kharma and looks good, really suits it - I think anyway. Will post the full finished article when I can get chance to get some decent photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92376672@N ... hotostream
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/92376672@N ... hotostream

Can someone PLEASE help me with photos, Ive tried adding the & tags previously and it doesnt work.
    Should I add the URL bits either side? Im usually OK with tecky stuff but this is a bridge too far, sorry - FAIL!!! :roll:

Nice, it proves the point that you don't need CX ray spokes to have deep carbon wheels... you can invest the money in decent hubs instead...
    Maybe they deserve a punchier set of tyres? Did anyone say Vittoria CX? :D
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks Ugo, they were the only tyres I had to hand [commuting stock] to see how they looked for now.

I was going to search the many threads for tyre recomendations, I take it these are you rubber of choice?
    Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
    Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]
  • bails1310 wrote:
    Thanks Ugo, they were the only tyres I had to hand [commuting stock] to see how they looked for now.

I was going to search the many threads for tyre recomendations, I take it these are you rubber of choice?

... Well, I use the tubular version, but yes, the clincher ones are ace too...

Paolo
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    that's a very nice pair of wheels. look good with ss spokes
    regards,
    dbb
  • left the forum March 2023
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331

That website looks like it's from 1983, what gives? Good price on the corsas though
  • PeteMadoc wrote:

That website looks like it's from 1983, what gives? Good price on the corsas though

I know John and Steve very well, IT is not their strength, good prices are... It is a great place to buy...
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Fair play, can't get any better than a recommendation

Back to the old Chinese wheel subject. I recently picked up some 50mm spin my wheels wheels http://www.spincycleworks.com/servlet/StoreFront

I'm guessing these are a Chinese 50mm rim built up in the UK. Any reason why these would be better/worse than expensive Mavics or cheaper planet x s?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    bails1310 wrote:
    Works as far as I can 'Copy shortcut' but not 'Copy' as is not highlighted/avalibale, so can only past the same links as I did above and not a .jpg which I think I need from your post/quote?

Copy shortcut yes
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Snapped another spoke nipple on my pair a few weeks ago. Annoyingly on the way to a race too! That's 3 snapped nipples now, all on the front.

Dropped it off at the bike shop where they'll sort it out, like last time. Essentially it looks like teh spokes are too short and therefore pulls on the alloy spoke nipples too much, causing them to snap it you hit a big bump! (which I did) Replace them with SS ones and they are fine.

Tempted to price up a re-build with different spokes and SS nipples...
  • This was my concern, happy enough with the rims but not the build on some and the components they used.

I purchsed the HopePro hub and got my LBS to build these with stainless spokes and red breas nipples.

Maybe I'm sufferening from 'Shallow Hall' syndrome, but Ive seen some full builds from the FE and much prefer the look of mine, and have more confidence in their ability when I get to ride them.

Shoved them on the bike today and that hub sounds blooming great [if you like that sort of thing]
  • smidsy
    bails1310 wrote:
    This was my concern, happy enough with the rims but not the build on some and the components they used.

I purchsed the HopePro hub and got my LBS to build these with stainless spokes and red breas nipples.

Maybe I'm sufferening from 'Shallow Hall' syndrome, but Ive seen some full builds from the FE and much prefer the look of mine, and have more confidence in their ability when I get to ride them.

Shoved them on the bike today and that hub sounds blooming great [if you like that sort of thing]

Pics required (on the bike) please...and if you do as I said and copy shortcut it will work (I did it on the earlier post from you flickr so it has to).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    bails1310 wrote:

Red brass? Is there such a thing?
  • These?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEWSONSPORTEC ... 27cedffde8

Was very specific that I wanted red brass in the build, the LBS assured me they had these readily to hand.
  • fluff.
    I hadn't realised people sold painted brass ones, live and learn.
  • smidsy wrote:
    bails1310 wrote:
    This was my concern, happy enough with the rims but not the build on some and the components they used.

Pics required (on the bike) please...and if you do as I said and copy shortcut it will work (I did it on the earlier post from you flickr so it has to).

Cracked it & managed to sort origina post. I'll get some on this week.

Thanks for your help.
  • dbb
    no need to go for cheap Chinese wheels when you can get a nice set of branded ones for a little more...
    does anyone have any experience with these?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=68422
    regards,
    dbb
  • They look good, but are tubs & I know tubs from FE come in a lot cheaper than £600.

I personally wanted clinchers with a good hub and got them for £400 plus build cost.
  • dbb
    shimano version are £510! - for a pair of wheels that weigh 1300grams.

i am thinking for race wheels - so i think tubs for this. plus i have been reading through the posts and ugo has convinced me. :)
    regards,
    dbb
  • fluff.
    The Planet X 50mm tubs are £400, or less depending on sales, they are 100g heavier though. Assuming that the rims are going to pretty similar open mould jobbies, that 100g will probably come off the hub, which may be a bad thing?
  • smidsy
    And if the 100g difference is in the hub it will not greatly affect the feel as it is central mass.

I would sooner have lighter rims on heavier hubs than the other way round.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • a17ju8.jpg

Chinese 88mm clinchers, 16 spoke front on a Tune Mig 70, 20h rear on a powertap SL+ (G3 wasn't out when I built them - pity), CX-Rays OBV. Decals made by my mate who owns a printing firm. Marvellous.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Nice those, almost tempted to get some decals made up for mine. I'll pm Ezy Rider.
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Nice those, almost tempted to get some decals made up for mine. I'll pm Ezy Rider.

I've got one spare, I'll let you have it for a fiver
  • smidsy wrote:
    bails1310 wrote:

Here - viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12905904
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    I thought these tyres were 320tpi, is this NOS?
  • smidsy
    I have just fitted Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX and the new ones are indeed 320tpi.

£46 for the pair from Ribble.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Should be good for 2000 miles.
  • nathancom wrote:
    I thought these tyres were 320tpi, is this NOS?

Ah, I had not noticed that... probably, possibly maybe... best to ask them
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    smidsy wrote:
    I have just fitted Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX and the new ones are indeed 320tpi.

£46 for the pair from Ribble.

Good price that - they're over £30 each now.
    More problems but still living....