How did you meet your other half?

124»

Comments

• NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    matthew h wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    Met in December 2009, started going out with him in March 2010. Met when I joined a local section of the RN cycle club. Joined him and his merry band and went cycling in the Dartmouth area on my days off. He had not long been divorced, so a relationship wasn't planned to be on the cards but we got on well even with the mutual mickey taking. Been living with him since January this year. As for kids...he needs to get a shuffle on in that department :lol:

Don't you mean stop shuffling on his own!

:lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • NGale
    itboffin wrote:
    Is nothing private anymore ...?

In the world of DDD nothing is private anymore. He's actually a spy, collecting information on cyclists with the aim of undermining the cycling world on his way to world domination :lol:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    NGale wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

In the world of DDD nothing is private anymore. He's actually a spy, collecting information on cyclists with the aim of undermining the cycling world on his way to world domination :lol:

Through the use of his perpetual motion machinery.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    Married 7 years, together since 1996. Met at art college, and were persuaded to stop staring at each other and do something about it by mutual friends. Littl'un no. 1 is nearly 2, and littl'un no. 2 is due in October.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Flyingbogey
    Flyingbogey Posts: 352
    Met Mrs B at a 999 do at Hammersmith Palais in 1995, i wonder if they still do those.. On and off more times than i can remember until married in 2006. 1 yr old monster and our 2nd also due in October, it must get easier with two, doesn't it?
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    rjsterry wrote:
    ..., and littl'un no. 2 is due in October.
    ...and our 2nd also due in Octobe

Are you guys sure you aren't sharing a wife?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    ..., and littl'un no. 2 is due in October.
    ...and our 2nd also due in Octobe

Are you guys sure you aren't sharing a wife?

Given that we both met our better halves in the mid '90s, that would be a colossal amount of effort being put into living a double life, not to mention a couple of medical miracles.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Met/married/bought house with/had a child with a girl I knew from school, all within a year.

Had another baby 2 years later, split 1 year after that.

Spent 5 years single (a couple of 6 month relationships in between), then met my wife almost 10 years ago through mutual friends. Married 5 years this August and have 16-month old twins.

Oldest children now 17 & 15. They are great, well-adjusted young ladies.
  • andyjr
    andyjr Posts: 635
    Married 8months, met in june 2003 in bangkok (and the answer is no before anyone asks) we were both travelling independantly and it went from there
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    edited May 2011
    Met while both on the same TEFL course in London (we'd both come to the end of our professional tethers at that point and were going for a career break/change, it was pure coincidence we chose that school to do the course, especially as she's American and was only in the UK for a short time).

I had nothing to lose and basically made a desperate proposition to her on the last day.

12 years later, married for 10, 2 bikes (both mine, she hates cycling) and 2 monkeys.
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    In a nightclub 25 years a go and we are still going strong.
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    and our 2nd also due in October, it must get easier with two, doesn't it?
    Not really, you're just more relaxed about things so it seems that way.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    - Met at work
    - Married 9 years (wedding anniversary today!)
    - Known each other/dating 13 years I think...or is it 14...
    - 2 kids, 5 year old twins (boy & girl), nearly 6, as they'd point out :D
    - Loads of bikes, but I'm the only "cyclist" - although have just taught son to ride without stabilisers. I've still got mine

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Not met her yet..... that I know of....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Zachariah wrote:
    Met while both on the same TEFL course in London (we'd both come to the end of our professional tethers at that point and were going for a career break/change...

Who was it who said "Teaching English as a foreign language is what respectable people do when their lives fall apart"?

I used to believe that until a good friend of mine turned to it after being kicked out of her regular teaching job for shagging a 6th former. You may have seen her in last week's Daily Mail/Mirror/Metro/Telegraph.

Anyway, in a r'ship for 3 1/2 years, met through a mutual friend, not currently engaged or married, no kids but a cute puppy called Lewis.
    Rules are for fools.
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    Met at a UK Subs gig at the 100 Club 10 years ago, been married for 7
    Got one boy together and 3 others (1 hers and 2 mine) from previous partners
    As far as I`m aware neither of us have ever been dogging
  • NGale
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Ahhh yes I forgot about his attempts to break the laws of Thermodynamics :lol:
  • Mr Sharky
    Mr Sharky Posts: 172
    Met when I got a job at the place she worked at (and still does!!) when I finished Uni. We got together about 3 months after I started there.

I moved back in with my folks down in Derby when I got a new job down there about 6 months later, and then I moved back up to Manchester after 2 years for another new job.

Lived with her at her folks' house (bless, still at home at 26) for 6 months before we struck out on our own closer to where we both worked in Manchester.

We got married after nearly 8 years together, and have now been married for just over 9 years.

2 beautiful Daughters, no pets, 8 or so bikes although I'm the only person who really rides anywhere (my eldest has the most bikes as we've saved them for the youngest for when she's ready). Happy days!

:D
    Hairy-legged roadie ( FCN 4 )
    Occasional fixed ( FCN 6 )
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited May 2011
    NGale wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Ahhh yes I forgot about his attempts to break the laws of Thermodynamics :lol:

Right!

I did not actually mention perpetual motion - no where in my post did I say perpetual motion. If you interpreted what I said as perpetual motion my post/s were either misunderstood or could have been written better.

Perpetual motion would be reliant on a cycle of energy with no diminishing by product like heat for example.

What I said (maybe not as clearly) was a self sustaining machine capable of producing a reaction that would i.e sustain itself (so that more of the same reactions would happen) and the energy byproduct (which would be cleaner than the ones we use) used to power the car.

The Sun is a self sustaining fussion/fission reactor it is not akin to perpetual motion.

The energy source I couldn't determine because you mere mortals can't see past the computer saying "no hydrogen can't work" and zero point energy is beyond all of you.
    Don't kill me

And to bring things back on track. Tthere is a grey area as to when Ms DDD and I started dating (as in our anniversary).

She says Valentines Day, when we first met. I reckon it was either when we first did the deed or when I asked her, quite sweetly, to be my GF - this was a few hours before. Either way (alcohol) she couldn't remember me asking... :x so Valentines Day won out.

And ITB, somethings are personal, in my case its just that I choose not to say, publicly, what is and what isn't.[/quote]
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    She was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar.....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Met the Mrs when we were both doing a summer job in M&S (she's tried taking me back, but they wouldn't have me) slow start as I knew she had a BF at the time (and I don't do THAT) but she wanted out, once that was obvious we hooked up, been together 23 years this summer, married for 19, 2 girls nearly 18 and nearly 15.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    On the Judo mat some 22 years ago.

Love at first armlock I always say.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The Sun is a self sustaining fussion/fission reactor it is not akin to perpetual motion.

Its about as "self sustaining" as a struck match.

/pedant.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Its about as "self sustaining" as a struck match.

/pedant.

Moving on from the acceptance of that I would have gone on to say....

Hybrid - small energy generating unit - that charges a battery - which in turn produces the electricity to power the car. Like some vehicles (trains I think) use a small diesel engine to charge a battery that in turn powers the train. Change diesel to something else and fill the battery with hydrogen - which won't and will never work according to the progression deniers.

But that is for a seperate DDD thread.

How did you meet yours, have you met her yet?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    How did you meet yours, have you met her yet?

Alas, the procession of exes hasn't so far been punctuated with a current.

Perhaps I should start wearing a helmet and being less pedantic? :)