How did you meet your other half?

Comments

• FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Met at Uni.

Married ten years in August with two kids; three year old girl and a five month old boy.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • janm399
    janm399 Posts: 132
    Got dragged out to a pub to meet a couple of friends & their friends. Had two of them competing to get me--the winner ended up talking about foreign languages, then chemistry and physics. We both proceeded to got far too drunk, went back to mine, but ended up falling asleep on the sofa. 7 years later, we're still together and the number of bikes is still s - 1 (for monotonously increasing s :))
    Computer geek, Manchester Wheelers' member since 2006
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    i'm all alone in the world :cry:
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    Met my girlfriend in my office, she's in finance, i'm in IT.

Split up a couple weeks ago due to lack of affection on her part :-(

As Sheldon Cooper would say 'She's a girl and she's my friend, but she's not my girlfriend'...
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Met Mrs Graham, oh about 20 years ago at the diving club (sub aqua) I used to go to.
    We just seemed to spend a lot of time together and one day decided to get married.
    I did actually propose, but I was so pissed I had to get UP on one knee!
    Been married 15 (ish) years, no kids, hence expesive bike/cameras/lenses.
    We have a dog called Boots!
    Graham.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Via this site (or it's previous incarnation). She replied to a comment I had made on a thread and then got in touch via the internet. A series of coincidences prompted me to meet her on a couple of social rides and pretty quickly I knew this was it. I was 47 and had a chance to change my life and so I did. We now have a daughter (8 months).My partner is a great cyclist, ferocious on the flat or track and really strong which she just demonstrated on a trip to Riccione where she demoralised a number of German and British male riders. She is also a great cook and v.funny.
    M.Rushton
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Met Mrs JW on a double date - mate had a date with her mate so I tagged along - they broke up long ago - we've been married 8 years and have two dogs and an increasing number of bikes.
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    got home from work and she was sitting on my sofa.

Best friend did a uni term in Canada, made friends, few years later a lads holiday to Canada and met said canuks. A girlfriend of one of these started working with the wife and they decided to go to UK on holiday, they stayed at my place for a week.

Couldn't stand her at first.
    FCN 12
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    Hmmm... so Uni or Brixton seem to be the common themes so far...

I went to Uni and go through Brixton daily and still haven't met my other half...

Not sure you'd call being single a lifestyle choice; more just haven't found the right person yet.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    If it helps I didn't meet Mrs JW at Uni and I've never been to Brixton

Just saying
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Another met in Brixton here. 10 years and 2 children ago.

Not married, never got round to it. And if two people stay together or not it has nothing to do with a bit of paper.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Met my wife on the same course at Manchester Poly in September 1988, got together by Christmas & moved in togethet by the summer, eldest born 18 months later. We got married & had him christened in one long weekend splurge. We'll have been married for 20 years later this month, we have 3 kids & 3 dogs.

Eldest has passed his driving test today & is not long to moving down south to live with his g/f. Middle one has survived a malign tumour in his head & youngest is a gift from fate - my appointment for the snip didn't arrive & she did before my rearranged date with disconnection.

All in all not done bad for meself on the family front.
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Met at school, first kiss down big pit mine in Wales on an A Level trip, other stuff soon followed, survived Uni living together, been together 10 years, house, no kids, married come august.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Met about a decade ago at a rights of way meeting through a common aquiantance, been 'involved' for four and half years.

No kids, no plans of marriage. She's in London, I'm not. The distance is both blessing and curse in equal measure.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Surveyed her house lol. Must have been the worst Homebuyer Report I have ever written, spent the whole time chatting to this lady who could spot when I was joking :shock: As she was about to move house I wooed her with wooden crates for shifting stuff! We married about two years later and are due our fifteeth anniversary this November.

Both had been married before, my divorce was grinding along when we met, and have three daughters between us; plus two grandchildren :D The present Mrs SG and the previous incumbent are polar opposites and I am a very happy (and lucky) man.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    At my local's beer festival. Explains a lot... :lol:
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    Met the wife on a drunken weekend in London, actually Waxy O'Conors, 14 years ago. Married 13years later this year - I gave her 8 kids and she has given me a Enigma Extensor(due in 2 weeks)
  • flipp
    flipp Posts: 52
    met the better half at work around 19 years ago,left there shortly after and she finally talked me into marrage two years ago.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    Actually met my missus whilst dogging in Wisley car park, she and her mate where filthy and decided to give it a go and afterwards we pretty much spent everyday together.

Have never been back to Wisley (other than for a ride) since, we both agreed that we didn't want to live that sort of life and we were young and stupid to have gone their in the first place. But we would never have met if it wasn't for UKdogginghotspots.com

Firstly, 'website not found'.

Secondly, which car park is that? The one just opposite the gardens, or one off the A3 or what?
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    I searched for a japanese language teacher.

Got many young japanese ladies who wanted a western boyfriend. I pissed off as I was not looking for a girlfriend, but for a teacher. Then a woman rang me up and all she could say was "I teach you japanese". So, she became my teacher 10+ yr ago.

I did learn a little, still studying now occasionally.

Married for 5+ yr, one daughter.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Met in Japan, weird story, I had put an ad in a free paper, basically saying "British boy needs a shag" and got in contact through that, but in the meantime we also met through friends..... Anyway that was in 1997 and we're still together...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I'm happily single.

My brother and I are identical twins and are very close. Girlfriends have rarely come into the equation for either of us. Neither of us is bothered about children and we can happily spend 24 hours a day hanging out together without ever getting bored of each other or falling out (and watching cycling/cricket/football all weekend is never a problem!). I don't see either of us ending up with someone long-term.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    squired wrote:
    I'm happily single.

My brother and I are identical twins and are very close. Girlfriends have rarely come into the equation for either of us. Neither of us is bothered about children and we can happily spend 24 hours a day hanging out together without ever getting bored of each other or falling out (and watching cycling/cricket/football all weekend is never a problem!). I don't see either of us ending up with someone long-term.

Hmmmmmm

Do you wear Dungarees?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Actually met my missus whilst dogging in Wisley car park

thats brilliant!

kudos to you!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    squired wrote:
    I'm happily single.

Brings the term bromance to a whole new level.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited May 2011
    Greg T wrote:
    squired wrote:
    I'm happily single.

Hmmmmmm

Do you wear Dungarees?

Hahahahaha!!!!

bbm-logo.jpg

Only the sequel: Brokeback Mountain 2, "Now sh!t gets real!"

Squired, how old are?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Greg T wrote:
    squired wrote:
    I'm happily single.

Hmmmmmm

Do you wear Dungarees?

I'm hoping they have a tandem.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    squired wrote:
    I'm happily single.

Have you ever thought of going dogging together?
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    squired wrote:
    I'm happily single.

Hmmmmmm

Do you wear Dungarees?

Hahahahaha!!!!

bbm-logo.jpg

Only the sequel: Brokeback Mountain 2, "Now sh!t gets real!"

Squired, how old are?

AKA "Brokeback Mountain 2: The Munroe Transfer"....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game