New to MTB, Manchester

Comments

• toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    Robbie, where do you live? specaileyes I have not heard of it but I just googled it, interesting reading.
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    toastedone wrote:
    Robbie, where do you live? specaileyes I have not heard of it but I just googled it, interesting reading.

It's really small but it has a dual slalom course with some gnarly ( for me ) jumps in there. Good for practicing jumps and for a bit of downhill racing! :wink:

That's how I got the figure 8 shaped wheel in my avatar! :oops: :D
  • try hulmes woods in droylsden. plenty of hidden paths to explore and some pretty good runs. I tend to come in at the sunn inn on the audenshaw/dukinfield junction. Been out there today and had a good run. Also ties in with a lot of canalways and sustrans cycle paths. Just watch out for horses (and horses poop).

Personally, i'd steer clear of Lee Quarry until you've got a bit of experience under your belt. It has a lot of body sized rocks that can do some serious damage if you come off. not good for someone on a low end bike with low end brakes.

What I would suggest tho is get a few friends together and head out to Coed Llandegla. The start hill is a bitch but once up it its fun all the way!

Also, if you want to get to know local routes, have a look at goskyride.com, sponsored by a well known digital tv company but they have rides every sunday morning. Nothing major just a pootle round with some light off road but its a good way to build fitness.
    2011 Rockhopper Comp
    24/Seven Deviant.
    Orange Diva (for the bint)
  • toastedone
    What would you class as a low end bike with low end breaks?
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    try hulmes woods in droylsden. plenty of hidden paths to explore and some pretty good runs. I tend to come in at the sunn inn on the audenshaw/dukinfield junction. Been out there today and had a good run. Also ties in with a lot of canalways and sustrans cycle paths. Just watch out for horses (and horses poop).

Personally, i'd steer clear of Lee Quarry until you've got a bit of experience under your belt. It has a lot of body sized rocks that can do some serious damage if you come off. not good for someone on a low end bike with low end brakes.

What I would suggest tho is get a few friends together and head out to Coed Llandegla. The start hill is a ***** but once up it its fun all the way!

Also, if you want to get to know local routes, have a look at goskyride.com, sponsored by a well known digital tv company but they have rides every sunday morning. Nothing major just a pootle round with some light off road but its a good way to build fitness.

Have to disagree with you on lee quarry. It's not as bad as your making out, as long as you stay away from the black route its pretty tame, just like a big helter skelter!

It's a breeze on my hardrock sport with its bb5's. I'm pretty ham fisted too :D
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    there seems to be a lot of local people near to reddish/denton we could all meet up and do a local ride for the beginners.
    i know a nice ride that has got some good climbs and 2miles of down hill gravel track.

start at morrisons in reddish. in to reddish vale out in to denton woods (tame valley) up to woodly then a road climb up to werneth low.
    http://www.tameside.gov.uk/wernethlow/guide
    could stop for a cheeky beer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dWKN_Lw5TE at the top before we start the return back we will be coming back a diff way total ride is about 17ish miles 20 very max.

so any body want to ride next sunday ?????
    post times you would like to ride.
    for me about 11ish.

thanks
    chris
  • toastedone
    Sounds good to me bellys, I am ment to be meeting up with Liam this weekend coming so maybe we could all sort something out, my only issue is my fitness levels and I wouldn't want to hold others up, I am a novice and need to get out as much as possible.

My question about low end bikes and brakes was a general question to see how far I could push my bike without risk of causing major damage to it, as in what type of riding would be acceptable for my bike.
  • bellys
    toastedone every body has to start some were i will not leave any body behind....the hill up to the pub can be hard going but im sure you will get there.

what bike do you have post a link up for it or spec.
  • toastedone
    dsc05476w.jpg

Frame:
    Specialized M4SL fully manipulated alloy frame, fully butted, integrated Head Tube, forged dropouts with replaceable derailleur hanger, disc only
    Fork:
    SR Suntour SF11-XCR-DS-26-LO-SP, 80mm, 1 piece alloy lower, 30mm steel stanchions, hydraulic damping with mic-tuned spike valve and lockout
    Front Derailleur:
    Shimano Alivio, 34.9mm clamp, top swing, dual pull
    Rear Derailleur:
    Shimano Deore 9 speed Shadow Long cage
    Number of Gears:
    Shifters:
    Shimano SL-M590 Deore trigger
    Chainset:
    Shimano FC-M430-8, Octalink spline
    Chainrings:
    44 x 32 x 22
    Bottom Bracket:
    Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, cartridge bearing, 68mm x 118mm
    Cassette:
    Shimano HG50, 9-speed, 11-34
    Chain:
    KMC X9, 9-speed, with reusable Missing Link
    Pedals:
    Alloy 1 piece body and cage, reflector kit, 9/16"
    Front Brake:
    Shimano BR-M505 hydraulic disc brake, dual piston, 160mm rotor
    Rear Brake:
    Brake Levers:
    Shimano BR-M505 hydraulic
    Handlebars:
    Butted alloy riserbar, 25mm rise, 8 degree back sweep, 6 degree up
    Stem:
    3D forged alloy, 7 degree rise, 31.8mm clamp
    Headset:
    Integrated 1 1/8" threadless, Campy type full cartridge bearings
    Grips:
    Specialized Enduro, dual compound Kraton, no flange, 131mm
    Rims:
    Alex RHD 26", alloy double wall, pinned with eyelets
    Front Hub:
    Forged alloy, hi/low flange, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount and flange, Quick Release, 28 hole
    Rear Hub:
    Forged alloy, mid flange, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount and flanges, cassette, Quick Release, 32 hole
    Spokes:
    2mm (14g) stainless
    Front Tyre:
    Specialized The Captain Sport, 26x2.0", 60TPI, wire bead
    Rear Tyre:
    Tubes:
    Presta valve
    Saddle:
    Specialized Rockhopper XC, Body Geometry, 143mm width, front and rear bumpers
    Seatpost:
    Alloy two bolt, 12.5mm offset, micro adjust, 30.9mm
    Seat Binder:
    Forged alloy Quick Release, brass washer
    Extra Features:
    Chain stay protector, reflectors, clear coat
  • bellys
    tommyjames wrote:
    Bellys, reckon that rack will fit onto the back of a new shape Civic Type R? Got a bit of a spoiler on there you see but my mate has just bought a bike and doesn't have a car, so I'm going to need to source some kind of rack! :)

Cheers

sorry not been on here for a cpl of days the iv have sold the rack on ebay but they have not turned up to collect it yet.
  • bellys
    you should be fine there is no big tecnical decents
  • What would you class as a low end bike with low end breaks?

decathlon rockrider is in my eyes a low end bike. Tektro discs arent the best on the planet. yeah ok they stop eventually but nowhere near enough for lee quarry
    2011 Rockhopper Comp
    24/Seven Deviant.
  • toastedone
    I have a GF/Kids free weekend this weekend as they are all off to Blackpool, so I can not see any real reason why not. I did kinda say that I would go for a ride with Liam at some point over the weekend so if he is up for it as well then that would be cool.
  • bellys
    What would you class as a low end bike with low end breaks?

decathlon rockrider is in my eyes a low end bike.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/8-1-2011- ... NFO-DETAIL

how do you work that out ???? there better spec than most big name brands and better priced.
    technical information
    Frame - double thickness 6061 T6 aluminium; racing frame geometry; 1.9kg in size L. Hardwearing and lightweight. Its frame geometry provides the best compromise for climbing and downhill riding.
    Suspension/Shock absorbers - New Rock Shox RECON Silver TK 100mm fork. Remote Lock out at the handlebar. Effective rebound adjustment and lockout with a half turn of the lever.
    Drivetrain - Shimano Deore M590 22x32x44 crankset; SRAM X - 7 front derailleur; SRAM X - 7 rear derailleur; SRAM PG950 11x32 9-speed cassette.
    Braking - Avid ELIXIR 3 hydraulic disc brakes, 160 mm rotors. Powerful and progressive whatever the conditions
    Handlebar/stem/saddle - Rockrider Comp 600/400mm raised handlebar; Rockrider Comp stem; b'Twin MTB comp saddle. Oversize handlebar and stem, more durable and lighter. A raised riding position for added control and comfort without compromising on performance.
    Wheels - Rockrider Comp 32 hole rims by Rigida JT D041/D142 hubs, 2mm stainless steel spokes Watertight bearings.
    Tyres - New Rockrider Sport.
    Pedals - Wellgo 823 WPD clipless pedals. Safer and more effecient.
    Size - S, M, L and XL.
    Weight - 12,85 Kg

show me a better spec bike for £500
  • bellys
    toastedone wrote:
    I have a GF/Kids free weekend this weekend as they are all off to Blackpool, so I can not see any real reason why not. I did kinda say that I would go for a ride with Liam at some point over the weekend so if he is up for it as well then that would be cool.

PM me if you fancy it.

thanks chris
  • Belly, thats not the bike the OP said he had, he has the 5.1 not the 8.1. a £130 bike not the £500 jobbie. the 5.1 comes with tektro v's.

this one

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/rockrider-5-1-c2-2011-172068506/
    2011 Rockhopper Comp
    24/Seven Deviant.
  • bellys
    toastedone wrote:
    dsc05476w.jpg

Frame:
    Specialized M4SL fully manipulated alloy frame, fully butted, integrated Head Tube, forged dropouts with replaceable derailleur hanger, disc only
    Fork:
    SR Suntour SF11-XCR-DS-26-LO-SP, 80mm, 1 piece alloy lower, 30mm steel stanchions, hydraulic damping with mic-tuned spike valve and lockout
    Front Derailleur:
    Shimano Alivio, 34.9mm clamp, top swing, dual pull
    Rear Derailleur:
    Shimano Deore 9 speed Shadow Long cage
    Number of Gears:
    Shifters:
    Shimano SL-M590 Deore trigger
    Chainset:
    Shimano FC-M430-8, Octalink spline
    Chainrings:
    44 x 32 x 22
    Bottom Bracket:
    Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, cartridge bearing, 68mm x 118mm
    Cassette:
    Shimano HG50, 9-speed, 11-34
    Chain:
    KMC X9, 9-speed, with reusable Missing Link
    Pedals:
    Alloy 1 piece body and cage, reflector kit, 9/16"
    Front Brake:
    Rear Brake:
    Brake Levers:
    Shimano BR-M505 hydraulic
    Handlebars:
    Butted alloy riserbar, 25mm rise, 8 degree back sweep, 6 degree up
    Stem:
    3D forged alloy, 7 degree rise, 31.8mm clamp
    Headset:
    Integrated 1 1/8" threadless, Campy type full cartridge bearings
    Grips:
    Specialized Enduro, dual compound Kraton, no flange, 131mm
    Rims:
    Alex RHD 26", alloy double wall, pinned with eyelets
    Front Hub:
    Forged alloy, hi/low flange, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount and flange, Quick Release, 28 hole
    Rear Hub:
    Forged alloy, mid flange, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount and flanges, cassette, Quick Release, 32 hole
    Spokes:
    2mm (14g) stainless
    Front Tyre:
    Rear Tyre:
    Tubes:
    Presta valve
    Saddle:
    Specialized Rockhopper XC, Body Geometry, 143mm width, front and rear bumpers
    Seatpost:
    Alloy two bolt, 12.5mm offset, micro adjust, 30.9mm
    Seat Binder:
    Forged alloy Quick Release, brass washer
    Extra Features:
    Chain stay protector, reflectors, clear coat

lol swift i was taking about this one not the bike OP had put
  • ahh! i must have got confused, not hard recently.

The specialized will easily take most of what you throw at it, theyre made from giants bones held together by fairy dust. Just ordered the rockhopper comp via cycle to work scheme. Only problem was when I popped into North West MTB to order it I had to throw £800 (after mates rates discount) at them for a Orange Diva for the mrs. She's rode it once and scratched it after an epic front wheel slide out at Llandegla. :)
    2011 Rockhopper Comp
    24/Seven Deviant.
  • bellys
    Orange Diva very nice shame about the scratch hope she was ok.
    And the Mrs as well. :lol:
  • yeah, few cuts and bruises (she bruised her ladybits!! had great pleasure kissing it better) but she'll live.
    2011 Rockhopper Comp
    24/Seven Deviant.
  • Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    Hey guys.

I work weekends but if anyone fancys a mid week ride round roman lakes (marple) /Lyme park sort of area drop me a PM. I can promise not too much climbing as I will be on my single speed.

Stuy
  • Liam1611
    Liam1611 Posts: 191
    Count me in for the ride you are going to organise Bellys, prob end up meeting you at Reddish Vale visitor centre, so that I can go down Ross Lave Lane, will also get in touch with Visceralspyker and get him to come along as well. If we can all organise a time and place according to where you are coming from in the local area and we can all meet for a bit of trekking. Saturday and Sunday are both good for me and I'm pretty sure I can count Visceralspyker in as well for either day. Will keep an eye on this thread and will see you all there and then.

Regards

Liam
  • toastedone
    edited May 2011
    ahh! i must have got confused, not hard recently.

The specialized will easily take most of what you throw at it, theyre made from giants bones held together by fairy dust. Just ordered the rockhopper comp via cycle to work scheme. Only problem was when I popped into North West MTB to order it I had to throw £800 (after mates rates discount) at them for a Orange Diva for the mrs. She's rode it once and scratched it after an epic front wheel slide out at Llandegla. :)

Everything except 4 inch nails, I encounter one yesterday, well my rear tyre did, thankfully I had the sense to carry a spare inertube and pump.

I got mine from NWMTB as well funnily enough.
  • toastedone
    Sounds good liam, me and bellys both live in Reddish. I got your text, I think it would be better for me to leave it as just Sunday as I have been told I need to get some painting done while she is away. In fact scrap the ride on Sunday you can all come round and help me paint my living room :wink:

If we can all organise things via this thread that would be excellent, any time on Sunday is good for me.

Stuy-b weekdays are no good for me as I work Monday-Friday, I don't finish work until 6/7 pm.
  • bellys
    right watch this space i will post later on in the week with meet points was thinking
    http://www.morrisons.co.uk/store-finder ... n=-2.15928

and http://www.reddishvale.moonfruit.com/#/ ... 4528220242

can every body that is riding please state were you want to meet from the above.
    will sort times out later on before friday
    i was thinking about 11:30 ish.
    thanks
    chris
  • tommyjames wrote:
    Bellys, reckon that rack will fit onto the back of a new shape Civic Type R? Got a bit of a spoiler on there you see but my mate has just bought a bike and doesn't have a car, so I'm going to need to source some kind of rack! :)

Cheers

I may be wrong but Im fairly certain im not, you cant put a cycle rack on the boot of a new shape Honda Civic, as the boot and spoiler area is plastic and cant take the weight.

As far as im aware, the only cycle rack you can use on a New Shape Honda Civic is a roof cycle rack, and if you have a glass roof like me, you are limited to 100kg on the roof.

Sorry for being off topic. :oops:
  • toastedone
    11.30 @ Morrisons sounds good to me, how about at the recycle bins? no pun intended.

On another note...

I road my bike to work for the first time today, I went through Reddish vale this morning at it was nice and dry, on the way home after the rain we had the bike got a good covering of the mud, I really enjoyed the ride, when I got home i gave it a quick wash but I have noticed a noise coming from the front wheel like metal on metal, i presume it is the brake, it is not a really loud noise and it is not constant but i thought I had better ask, am i just being a paranoid novice or does something need a slight adjustment on the brake?

If I am not to confident on doing the adjustment until someone shows me how will i do damage to the brake if I continue to ride it.

Thanks

Jay
  • sounds as if the disc has got some muck in it. Clean it out and may have to refettle the pads. Plenty of youtube vids showing how. its a 5 min fix, 10 for the first time.
    2011 Rockhopper Comp
    24/Seven Deviant.
  • toastedone
    Thanks for the response swift, I don't want to sound dumb or lazy, I google and searched you tube for "refettle the pads" with no results. :?
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt3XRYiF ... re=related

plus check out those sideburns!!!!
    2011 Rockhopper Comp
    24/Seven Deviant.