New to MTB, Manchester

jooper
jooper Posts: 2
edited August 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi there,

Could anyone point me in the right direction with regards to finding clubs in my area please?

I've had my bike a few months (Decathlon rockrider 5.1) and just literally tootle round on with the odd trip to Dovestones, anyway I'd like it to become an real hobby to get fit and ride with other people, where do I start, I live in North Manchester, close to Oldham & Tameside.

Also, the bike cost £129, I appreciate that's real bottom end so is it even suitable to allow me to take it more seriously or am I limited to just cycling round the block on it!?

Finally, I'm mid thirties, is age a factor at this stage or not?

Many thanks in anticipation of any replies.

Comments

• toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    Hi, Jooper, I am also in the same boat, new to MTB not really knowing where to go ect ect, I am in Stockport myself.
  • bwfc4eva868
    bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
    I'm about a year into Mountain biking. Not really had chance to ride the past couple of months. Never to old to ride. I'm 25 and a smoker so i am useless at going up hill.

Get yourself to Lee Quarry in Bacup which isn't far, Rivington in Bolton and also Gisburn Forest near Clitheroe.. Plus many more.
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    try these http://www.meetup.com/Manchester-Mountain-Bikers/ there manchester based
    there a good bunch of mixed levels.

you never know i might see you out and about as i ride round stockport and tameside.
  • toastedone
    Where abouts in stockport is there to ride? I am new to the area being a southern sofftie
  • tommyjames
    tommyjames Posts: 10
    Hello!

I'm based in Ancoats in Manchester and just got a new bike last week. I used to ride MTB off road and a bit of downhill when I was younger and I'm starting to get my biking legs back.

I've just spent the weekend thrashing around Delamere Forest. Turns out the bike skills center there is just a mile from my parents house, but it is only 40-50 minutes in the car, completely free and goes on for MILES! You can ride the made trails in the skills center, or go out alone and find your way through some pretty awesome natural trails in the forest. I'm going to be headed that way most Sunday mornings so if anyone wants to join me let me know - I was there by myself all this weekend and it does get a little lonely!

Cheers
    Tom
  • toastedone
    Delamere Forest is only about 45 mins from me, my problem is I do not drive, my Gf does but we have no bike rack yet as w will be buying a new car very soon.
  • tommyjames
    Oh cool okay - I manage to get my bike into the boot with the seats down, have been considering a rack though. Let me know if you get that new car and maybe we can meet up over there! :)

Cheers
    Tom
  • toastedone
    edited May 2011
    Yeah that would be cool, We are getting a zafira at the end of may so there will be plenty of room in the back for the bike, its just convincing the OH that she needs to take me there. I need to get my fitness levels up as well first.

I just noticed i can easily get a train there as well
  • bellys
    edited May 2011
    im in stockport and got a rack for sale http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/835947/ :lol:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :MESELX:IT

there is some good riding in reddish vale you can go for miles...
    but roman lakes in marple is very good.
  • toastedone
    I actually live in reddish., I think I am going to wait till we get the new car before buying a rack. Thanks for the offer.
  • bellys
    toastedone wrote:
    I actually live in reddish., I think I am going to wait till we get the new car before buying a rack. Thanks for the offer.

snap im near the bulls head pub.
  • toastedone
    I am near Lancashire and Williams garage, Near the fir tree, small world
  • John Moore
    John Moore Posts: 580
    OK, it's a bit West for you but we have a couple of Manchester riders in our gang

http://www.thewoollybacks.co.uk/content.php
  • tommyjames
    Bellys, reckon that rack will fit onto the back of a new shape Civic Type R? Got a bit of a spoiler on there you see but my mate has just bought a bike and doesn't have a car, so I'm going to need to source some kind of rack! :)

Cheers
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    + 1 on going to lee quarry/cragg quarry. It's got a bit of everything there. Also try hobson Moore. I'm based in Ashton.

As for your bike, you can have fun on pretty much anything. I guess at that price point they will be heavy and easier to break. I throw my hardrock down fed and black routes and I'm 16.5 stone! :shock: :lol:

Last time I went to gisburn we had a good giggle at a work colleague who brought his Apollo creed, until he proceeded to skin us all around gisburn on it! :D
  • jamienorton
    jamienorton Posts: 182
    Theres a few nice bridleways behind hollingworth Lake, and you can get onto the mary townley loop, from close to smithy bridge
  • Liam1611
    Liam1611 Posts: 191
    I live in Denton and have been roadriding on my Mountain bike (commuting) for a few years but never really started riding up and down hills until quite recently, (decided to get fitter and now my calves are regretting it) I know the area reasonably well and have started riding with another member of this forum. If anyone wishes to go out for a ride for a few hours any weekend then you are more than welcome, send me a PM and we can arrange things from there, also if anyone has any suggestions as to where to go around here that has some decent trails (apart from Hobson Moor, Roman Lakes) it would be appreciated as Denton Woods/Reddish Vale just isn't that exciting.

Regards

Liam
  • toastedone
    Liam1611 wrote:
    I live in Denton and have been roadriding on my Mountain bike (commuting) for a few years but never really started riding up and down hills until quite recently, (decided to get fitter and now my calves are regretting it) I know the area reasonably well and have started riding with another member of this forum. If anyone wishes to go out for a ride for a few hours any weekend then you are more than welcome, send me a PM and we can arrange things from there, also if anyone has any suggestions as to where to go around here that has some decent trails (apart from Hobson Moor, Roman Lakes) it would be appreciated as Denton Woods/Reddish Vale just isn't that exciting.

Regards

Liam

Hi Liam I would love to meet up some time for a ride, but to let you know i am not the fittest and am very new to MTB so wouldn't want to hold you up
  • Liam1611
    Liam1611 Posts: 191
    That's not a problem, I'm not Super human and still can't find the motivation/energy to climb hills so if you want to go out for a ride this weekend let me know and we can have a mooch around the local woodland for a couple of hours and get some miles under your belt. It's pretty easy riding and should get you into the swing of things. I'll send you a PM when I get home from work and we can arrange something for this weekend, as Visceralspyker (another Southerner) has gone down South and I have no-one to ride with this weekend. If anyone else wishes to join up then you are more than welcome.

Regards

Liam
  • Mr OCD
    Mr OCD Posts: 382
    I'm based in Bolton so not far from you guys ... tend to ride Gisburn and Lee Quarry ... Gisburn being my favourite but an hours drive... certainly worth it though!

Also planning to hit Rivington shortly...

Only been back on the MTB nearly six months now so my fitness is still improving :lol:
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • specialeyes
    Mr OCD wrote:
    I'm based in Bolton so not far from you guys ... tend to ride Gisburn and Lee Quarry ... Gisburn being my favourite but an hours drive... certainly worth it though!

Only been back on the MTB nearly six months now so my fitness is still improving :lol:

Have you tried cragg quarry OCD? There is a link up trail from lee quarry now.
  • specialeyes
    Mr OCD wrote:

Have you tried cragg quarry OCD? There is a link up trail from lee quarry now.
  • toastedone
    Hi Liam, This weekend is no good for me, Next weekend would be much better.
  • streetvw
    streetvw Posts: 164
    toastdone you could always try Macc forest some great rides round there
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC7 viewtopic.php?t=12765275
  • adiggers
    adiggers Posts: 67
    jooper wrote:
    Hi there,

Could anyone point me in the right direction with regards to finding clubs in my area please?

I've had my bike a few months (Decathlon rockrider 5.1) and just literally tootle round on with the odd trip to Dovestones, anyway I'd like it to become an real hobby to get fit and ride with other people, where do I start, I live in North Manchester, close to Oldham & Tameside.

theres only one club i know of in oldham its http://www.northwestriders.org/

http://www.cyclegm.org/maps_guides/maps_online.aspx# theres some nice routes on there can do,can even print maps off if need or they well post aswell
    theres loads of place can go surrounding oldham though marsden,diggle ,uppermill,goggle diggle jiggle if fancy somthing a bit more :wink:

dovestones is nice though aslong get there before the masses,i do see big groups gather in shaw where bus turns round also at hollingworht lake
  • adiggers
    oh and same here myself midthirtes/oldham ,had a rockrider 5.3 for last 2 years great bike.
    just upgraded too a cube acid though :D
  • specialeyes
    adiggers wrote:
    dovestones is nice though aslong get there before the masses,i do see big groups gather in shaw where bus turns round also at hollingworht lake

And once your @ dovestones you can have a nice leisurely climb up chew road! :D:wink: :shock:
  • adiggers
    adiggers wrote:

And once your @ dovestones you can have a nice leisurely climb up chew road! :D:wink: :shock:

like i tell my mate every time we go out,every hill we go down we have to come back up on way back :cry:
  • robbie87
    robbie87 Posts: 26
    Once I get my new bike sorted out, I'll certainly be up for some local rides if the offers are still open. It does get a bit dull on the lonesome and tend to lose motivation!

On the subject of local rides the previously mentioned Mellor Moor has a good selection of varying routes, Lee & Crag Quarry are quality with the variety on offer.
  • specialeyes
    Any of you Manchester guys heard of fairbottom bobs?