How old are the newbies to road cycling?

Comments

4 weeks ago I was asked to go offroad biking with a couple of mates so borrowed my son's mtb. Hadn't ridden a bike since a bit of roadbiking about 16 years ago, but absolutely had a ball so immediately went out and got my own mtb. Enjoyed riding the roads to/from our offroad site so went out and bought a Specialized Allez Comp which I took delivery of last Friday. Am having a great time and kicking myself for not doing this years ago.
    Numerous cartilege ops and general aches/pains mean that my squash & footie days are behind me and the gym can be a dull place. Hoping to shift a few pounds, but just taking in the scenery on a bike and the freedom it brings, along with the sense of achievement it gives as you rack up the miles, is priceless.
    Fingers crossed for a decent Summer :)
  • titch124
    titch124 Posts: 39

been a biker most of my life , but just discovered the road bike, and loving it. always had an mtb before. did used to do kickboxing, but the fees were getting a little silly. so got myself a via nirone 7 and have not looked back(apart from to check for cars :))

seems strange looking at the agaes of people in this thread, because normally when i go out i am by far the youngest person i see out

must be the area im from :)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    titch124 wrote:
    seems strange looking at the agaes of people in this thread, because normally when i go out i am by far the youngest person i see out

I don't think an internet forum is going to have a respresentative spread of cyclists ages. Older folk are less likely to use forums than younger people in my experience.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Legshaver
    Legshaver Posts: 75
    That may be true but there are a lot of us oldies lurking here.

I came back to road cycling at the age of 47 and did two end2ends, one with my son. I decided, when I got to 60, that replacing my trusty road bike would not be worthwhile due to my age. I thought that I could not do a new carbon framed machine justice. But one day at my local LBS I fell in love with a Cannondale Synapse and it has totally rejuvinated me.

I'll be at this years Dragon Ride again this year for a third time and at 67 I'm definitely in the top 20 oldies age group. I'm hoping for a bronze this year, and I'm out training most days to achieve it. The guys that I cycle with are younger, fitter and faster, but they always look after me, and I try not to keep them waiting! Trying to stay with them is good hard training.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,017
    47. Fitness/weight has never been a problem (I'm lucky), but I hate not having exercise, and want to remain fit for as long as I can. I also like eating, and cycling provides a good excuse for eating copious amounts.

I've always cycled, but hadn't done more than 30 miles, and that was in my teens. for a bit of adventure I cycled across Dartmoor last August to some friends. That just about killed my commuting bike, so I treated my self to the CAAD9, and discovered that I was actually passably good. Since I'd retired from playing badminton because of knee trouble, cycling has been a more than decent substitute, and I'm now slightly addicted to it, through a combination of wanting to improve my speeds/distances, and having the joy of living in one of the most beautiful parts of the country: the bike is the perfect excuse to explore some of the 8000 miles of roads in Devon.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Always had a bike of somesort but pedalling a hard tail around our country lanes was getting tiresome so at the age of 45 I bought my first proper Alu framed road bike.

Just changed to Carbon and passed my Alu down to my son. Bought my wife a road bike last year and now we are all on the road.

I face my first Sportive next Saturday (Kinross - red).
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    Excellent replies and detail guys.

Just goes to show how diverse, inclusive, and addictive, this sport is.

Really enjoying the replies and really useful.

I am not sure if it has always been like this in the cycling community but from what I can tell cycling has really taken off in this country in the last decade and I think it is definitely here to stay.

I am not sure if is because of the fact that it seems to be one of the only sports that Britain excels in or the widespread use of the Internet, and forums like this.
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    Started cycling again at the tender age of 42, first road bike at 45. Although I really wish I'd started cycling again years ago, I intend to keep going until me knees fall off :lol:
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • Avezius
    Avezius Posts: 132
    Age 34

Usual background of bikes (BMX, racer, etc) but none since mtb was pinched on first day of uni in 95. Background in football (colts & busa) punctuated by snapped ACL in left knee, medials & torn cartilage, full recon & general damage to right. Gradually moved to smaller pitch formats until eventually "retiring" 8 years ago. Surfer during the whole period short & longboards. Gradual descent into overweight, unfit-ness (I do an IT desk job) with occasional bouts of being strong from Gym but poor CV due to knees.

New job 18months ago & Boss is a cycle nut (18+ bikes) & fit / cyclist colleagues on team. Started getting fit on my mtb then picked up an ebay special cyclocross bike with 105 that spends most of time on road. Perfect for me as no knee impact.

Cycle 300miles per month so far this year (ahead of 2011miles in 2011 target), consisting of 7-10mile commute 4 times a week & 12 mile lunchtime rides over the fens with 8.5mile TT (maximum effort) in the middle. No real weekend rides (max ive done is about 30) but hope to start a few. Lost well over a stone but better than that Ive completely changed shape as well as massive increased fitness.

Best TT is 22.5mph (in a group of 4) with most non-windy fen rides 21-22mph (can be >18mph ave if windy).

Just got my cyclescheme voucher & intend to redeem it for a Ribble Gran Fondo with Sram Rival. Intending to sell cyclocross & mtb to help fund it although probably won't - I can justify cost based purely on car park savings.

Hope to continue fitness & lose another 3/4 stone. Looking forward to better Surfing due to fitness & possible the odd 5-a-side again.

Dan
  • Thebigbee
    titch124 wrote:

I don't think an internet forum is going to have a respresentative spread of cyclists ages. Older folk are less likely to use forums than younger people in my experience.

I just don't think that is true. The majority of people have the internet nowadays and probably wondered how they got on before it - I know I do.

And I think if you go by the responses so far the age ranges from 18 - to people in their 50s.
  • Thebigbee
    Zoomer37 wrote:

Been riding fixed and single speed road bikes for years, but fancied something with gears as I live in hilly Bristol so got my first racer in Oct last year.

Now completely addicted to riding again and think about it far to often. Went out for a lovely romantic dinner with my missus the other night and whilst she was chatting to me from across the candle lit table I was looking at her, but all I was thinking about was the new rims im getting soon. This kind of mind drifting was once just used for coronation street time, but its becoming far more frequent now.

lol - you know you're addcited when you aren't listening to her, not anticipating what you are eating or she is saying or what you will be getting up to later on - and dreaming about wheels!
  • Crispybug
    Crispybug Posts: 58
    Age 46

Took up cycling again about six months ago after a 20 odd year break with the occasional ride on a £45 bike that was as awful as it sounds.

Played rugby for thirty years but I dislocated my shoulder very badly ten years ago and in the the subsequent year break I went from 14 1/2 stone to 19 1/2 stone, or in rugby terms I went from inside centre to loose head prop!! I have been dislocating the shoulder ever since and three times this season which is just too many times to consider carrying on.

Bought myself a second hand Orbea road bike, sorry don't what model, on e-bay to get fit and so far I'm down to 16 stone 10 pounds and I'm eating like a horse which is quite a revalation to me.

Done two sportives so far and I'm signed up to two more and I'm doing a ride in France at the end of May..........it's been great so far, I'm genuinely surprised by how much I'm enjoying it.
    Mad as a box of badgers
  • christurbo
    christurbo Posts: 432
    31, mountain biker.

Fairly fit, weight train 3 times a week, bike 2-3 times a week.

Took up road biking to look sexy in lycra. :twisted:
  • 31, started nearly 3 years ago as a cheap means to ferry my butt back and forth from Uni and work, and quickly became a habit, then obsession.

from a crappy mtb that did me proud for nearly a year, I now have a Road bike and all the trimmings.

Health wise, never felt better, and looking to do more and more each year until my heart finally explodes from trying to cycle up a wall or something!!
    exercise.png
  • Age 49.

Apart from cycling as a kid, bought a cheap MTB 4 years or so ago & really enjoyed it. However, I got out of the habit of riding, & also got fat & unfit.

Bought an Orbea Aqua a while back, but only recently built up the confidence to ride it....but I'm absolutely hooked now :)

Weight is slowly starting to come off, but I feel fitter & more flexible than I have for years.
  • Age 32.... for a few more months.

No history of sports or exercise but always trim and in good health. Hadn't been on a bike since I was 17 and then it was just commuting a few miles to a summer job.

Got into cycling last April, had a voucher for €250 for Halfords and spotted a GT Aggressor XC2 marked down to €450. Some of the guys in work were raving about mountain biking, so I said for €200 plus the voucher, I could give it a try and no great lost if I didn't take to it... would always be handy to have a bike. Nearly sick after 2 laps of a 2km circuit in the local woods but addicted.

One of the Guys I was mountain biking with got a road bike and after convincing myself for months that I didn't have the space (Live in an apartment) or time for two bikes, A quick spin on my friends roadie and Tour De France fever on Eurosport had sealed my faith. Bought a Kuota Kharma in August and haven't looked back.

I even added a winter road bike to my collection and recently upgraded my MTB to a Full Suspension Trek Fuel EX 8. So I'm a total addict at this stage.

This week I completed my first 100mile distance on the roadie, solo in just under 6hrs. My overall goal is fitness really, I want to get my resting heart rate down into the 40's. Not real speed targets and racing ambitions, started too late for that.
    MTB HardTail: GT Aggressor XC2 '09
    Road Summer(s): Kuota Kharma '10
    Road Winter(w): Carrera Virtuoso '10
    Full Suspension: Trek Fuel Ex 8 '11

http://app.strava.com/athletes/130161
  • steve36
    steve36 Posts: 93
    53, started up again last year after a thirty year break. :D
  • Robbo150
    Robbo150 Posts: 1
    14, nearly 15.

Came home from school one day and started watching the Tour de France, and marvelled at the phenemonal levels of fitness the pros had. I then got home from school as quickly as possible every day to watch the stages, and was inspired to have a go myself.

It all happened pretty quickly from there on in, I researched all the bikes in my budget and decided to buy a Carrera Virtuoso. I then recently cycled 150 miles in three days (not that impressive for most of you guys i imagine), and have fallen in love with the sport.

Can't wait to sign up for some races and get out on my trusty steed more often!
  • Hierotochan
    Hierotochan Posts: 108
    26 (Male)

Borrowed a friends bike a few times & started cycling up the Wicklow Mountains from Dublin.
    Moved back home to London & want to cut my carbon footprint/save on the Travelcard/get fit for my/our (read "her") impending wedding!

BMX for last few years, skated all through my teens. Now snowboard (last 5 years) & played Capoiera on/off for last 3ish years

Buying road bike in June, doing my research now.
    Shortlist is Cube, Bianchi, Wilier so far but am open to suggestions.

Looking for beginners group in E17/Walthamstow area (unfortunately just about to leave East Dulwich & the lovely Herne Hill track just as I start the sport).
    Welcome to Hoogerland, Population: Heroes.

Danny Hart; How does he sit down with balls that big?
  • Duffer65 wrote:
    Started cycling again at the tender age of 42, first road bike at 45. Although I really wish I'd started cycling again years ago, I intend to keep going until me knees fall off :lol:

<OT> Ha, another jamis user... I thought i was the only one here, but since Evans were selling them like hot cakes there had to be someone else :)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Thebigbee
    I am 32 as well. Lazy unfit git, but find cycling so addictive.

Have already done over 120 miles since last Sunday. Have been pi55ing about on the beach and started off at 380 miles..

It was something like 3.7 miles to the beach, but didn't just want to do a round trip - so went the "long" way home and am now on 393.9 miles.

Am annoyed that I didn't round it up - think I will have to just to hit the 400 mile mark.

Obbsessive and sad - I know - I don't care. I can probably do that 6 miles in 20 minutes!!
  • Thebigbee
    Robbo150 wrote:
    14, nearly 15.

Came home from school one day and started watching the Tour de France, and marvelled at the phenemonal levels of fitness the pros had. I then got home from school as quickly as possible every day to watch the stages, and was inspired to have a go myself.

It all happened pretty quickly from there on in, I researched all the bikes in my budget and decided to buy a Carrera Virtuoso. I then recently cycled 150 miles in three days (not that impressive for most of you guys i imagine), and have fallen in love with the sport.

Can't wait to sign up for some races and get out on my trusty steed more often!

No - it is impressive as hell - if you are genuine - and if not - who cares.

I think it just proves how inclusive this sport is. The replies have been from 14 - 50+ year olds.

I can't think of another sport that is so inclusive, accomodating and non snobby - can you?

We alll enjoy smashing the tarmac and getting the miles and I think it goes to show that we all have hugely differing ages, abilities yet we all belong to the cycling community.

Well done guys... I really appreciate the responses and detail of them.

It is just interesting to me.

Keep up the good work.
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    After a few years of riding as a schololboy and subsequent occasional social rides on borrowed bikes a week of mornings only social rides in the Dordogne persuaded me that I should give it a go. I needed the exercise to replace tennis (rather dull mostly) and hillwalking (cartilage not up to it). So aged 66 yrs and 6 months;

Sept 08 I bought a Marin hybrid - now sold to my Dordogne host
    Nov 08 a beatup Bianchi - now sold in px for a VN
    May 09 new Pearson Pave, c/f, stealth machine with Campag Centuar compact
    March 10 new Van Nic Yukon, ti,with Centuar triple and mudguards
    March 11 new Genesis Day 1, steel, s/s flipflop

I have reached the end of the purchase phase and 3 bikes will suffice.

Results: significantly lowered choresterol and 5kg weight loss but broken ulna and thumb in peloton pileup last autumn. I have never exceeded 130k in a single ride but I regard up to 120k as a normal day's work in the Surrey Hills.
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • gbs
    @Victor; I suggest ti frame - it is allround more forgiving than c/f or al and and can be put on a train without fear of damage - with relaxed geometry.
  • nicked
    nicked Posts: 20
    Aged 42
    Took the sport up after to many rugby injuries,after 3 months cycling i can honestly say its been a long time since i've felt this fit.
    Bianchi Via Narone 7
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    49 took to wheels again after having to give up playing rugby due to injuries been riding around 3 years now still find time to play cricket first game easter sunday.
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • Thebigbee
    gbs wrote:
    After a few years of riding as a schololboy and subsequent occasional social rides on borrowed bikes a week of mornings only social rides in the Dordogne persuaded me that I should give it a go. I needed the exercise to replace tennis (rather dull mostly) and hillwalking (cartilage not up to it). So aged 66 yrs and 6 months;

Sept 08 I bought a Marin hybrid - now sold to my Dordogne host
    Nov 08 a beatup Bianchi - now sold in px for a VN
    May 09 new Pearson Pave, c/f, stealth machine with Campag Centuar compact
    March 10 new Van Nic Yukon, ti,with Centuar triple and mudguards
    March 11 new Genesis Day 1, steel, s/s flipflop

I have reached the end of the purchase phase and 3 bikes will suffice.

Results: significantly lowered choresterol and 5kg weight loss but broken ulna and thumb in peloton pileup last autumn. I have never exceeded 130k in a single ride but I regard up to 120k as a normal day's work in the Surrey Hills.

Wow gbs - I don't work in KM but that is 120 Km - miles is 75. That is impressive. From what I have roughly scanned you are the oldest at 66.

Just goes to show how inclusive and what can be achieved.

From what I can tell on this post the ages range from 14 - 66.

What other sport is so inclusive? I doubt you could find one that has such an inclusive age - and ability range.

I would struggle to to 75 miles - and a 66 yr old is saying that is standard!!

Excellent.
  • griffsters
    griffsters Posts: 490
    Aged 40

I took up MTB'ing to help with fitness and losing weight a couple of years ago. I was also running at the time and managed to haul my fat carcass around numerous 10ks and a couple of Half Marathons whilst losing weight. Niggling injuries took their toll whilst running and an annoying and stubborn hip injury made me want to do more cycling...it doesnt seem to give my joints as hard a time.

Hence shiny new road bike to go with the muddy MTB! Just finding my way at the moment, the position on a road bike has brought its own aches and pains mainly forearm and wrist area so hoping my body will adapt over the coming weeks and months.
  • jimmnm
    jimmnm Posts: 1
    hello all, i have been into road bikes for many years, I use mine every day hail, rain or shine...I commute to work, go to the gym 3 times a week. Just love biking, I have had some narrow escapes due to un observant drivers, even when I've been wearing hi viz clothing. I do have car, but it's just a shopping trolley. It's a cliosport 172 at the moment I ride a Claud Butler san remo it's ok, not the best but does the job for me.
    What are your thoughts about using wd40 on your chain and gears, or do you recommend something else?
  • gbs
    edited April 2011
    Thebigbee wrote:
    [

Wow gbs - I don't work in KM but that is 120 Km - miles is 75. That is impressive. From what I have roughly scanned you are the oldest at 66.

Just goes to show how inclusive and what can be achieved.

Not really impressive. I have two VG bikes, I weigh only 85kg and so I can perform relatively well going uphill but downhill I am usually among the slowest. FWIW in our CTC group we have a 75+ yr old who will pass me easily up Box Hill and down hill generally on a fixed gear. Mark you he is v experienced and tiny.