How old are the newbies to road cycling?

Comments

• jpcee
    jpcee Posts: 2
    Hi I am 31

I started cycling earlier this year after a break of 15 years. I've not been keeping myself fit until then. Now I thought I'll try to. My ride is a ribble from the late nineties which my brother in law has lent me because he no longer uses it because he has another 5 bikes.
  • Hi I'm 34.

Started back after quite a few years break and a couple of knee ops.

Am riding a Specialized Secteur 2011 and loving it. Proper training starts soon for my first sportive (the Dartmoor Classic) and am really looking forward to it.

Any one else doing the Dartmoor Classic next year?

Rob
  • 64, need another hobby when it's not windy enough for windsurfing.
    and don't always feel like a 100 mile drive to the coast.
    like it almost as much , but not quite.
  • Aged 42, bought a bike, managed about 6 miles and nearly gave up with that saddle. Wish I had started a lot earlier but never really had the time.

Aged 44 bought another bike, but no more of the Mrs will start to ask questions.

Did have a bike when young until about aged 22 but it rusted away in a cellar at university.
  • 39, bought a FeltF95 to do a triathlon. 40, I enjoyed it so much I've just upgraded to a CAAD10.
  • 45 in two weeks.

Bunch of mates ride, do one or two big rides a year (this year it's Ventoux!).

Loved bikes as a kid, rode forever and had a track bike as I rode Cycle Speedway.

Tried running, the odd injury and was to be frank not great at it.

Want to in the main lose weight and to have a chance to do some landmark events - using them as a focus for training and riding (hoping that the becomes the fun as well).

Looked about, fancied a Specialized Secteur and have found a 2011 £170 less than this year's model (plus I love the blue and white and didn't fancy red and white!) I know the limitations of what I have coming re components etc but feel if I get hooked I'd get a new bike at some point.

Now I have to work out what else I need and get over my fear of looking like a plum in Lycra!
  • 32 i bouht sports bike and noe im 34 and still cycling with it :)
  • Hi all

I'm 51. Never owned a road bike before. Retired from motorcycle endurance racing in 2008 and have been looking for new hobbies ever since. Been toying with the idea of cycling for a while now and finally taken the plunge under the cycle to work scheme. Just bought a secteur elite and looking forward to getting out and doing a bit. The ride to work is 10 miles each way; I'm also hoping to get out and put bigger miles under my belt at weekends.

I currently stay fit at the gym and MT kickboxing. It'll be nice to have a hobby that doesn't involve bruising my shins, elbows and knuckles ..... errr, unless I fall off this bike as often as I used to on my motorbikes lol
  • Thebigbee wrote:
    And what are your reasons for picking the sport up?

Also what cylcling / exercise / fitness history do you have?

Finally what bike have you bought / now use?

Interested to know your thoughts - answer as many as you want and give as much history as you want.

Cheers

Bigbee

Road cycling Newbie 4 months ago at 54 years
    I started commuting the 9 mile one way trip to work out of necessity, but it grew a life of its own from there. I am a diabetic and have had a quadruple bypass in 2004 and since then have had 16 stent placements in various heart arteries. Because I really enjoyed the cycling itself I started doing research on its health benefits and found there are many, at that time I was riding a under 400.00 bike that I purchased from target, thinking not too much money lost when I was able to afford another car. however during those short four months I lost about 18 lbs, my doctor reduced or stopped many of my medications, I felt much better over all, mind body and spirit. So when I got my end of year bonus from my job instead of buying a car I purchased a canondale supersix 5 105 shimano gruppo after what seemed like an accumilation of 100"s of hours of research...I love love love the new bike, the sport, the health benefits are of course the icing on the cake. I now am looking forward to doing my first small race hopefully within the 2012 year. I am riding about 100 miles plus each week.
    I have no previous cycling experience, my exersize experience is weight lifting and jogging which seems like decades ago...My goal is to do a few races a century ride or two relaxing weekend rides and loose another 35 pounds in the process....I guess I got a little long winded...but what started out out of necessity turned into my passion.
  • 29...30 in March...had a hybrid for ages but it got nicked last yr. My bf and my bro are road bike boys and I got a Cube 2011 Axial WLS Comp (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=57284) for Christmas...

I'm training for this:
    http://www.bikemap.net/route/953186#lat ... m=7&type=2
  • 29 turn 30 in June - been riding a road bike for just over 12 months after years as a MTB'er. They call this the dark side but i feel like i have stepped into the light!
    I Dont Ride Hills, I Climb Mountains!

2010 Scott S40
    2011 Wilier Izoard XP
  • 17 :) 18 in Febuary. Riding a Specialized Allez Sport 27 2011

I was hooked ever since July 21st when Andy Schleck produced a sensational performance up the Galibier. Mind Blowing.
  • 16 :D
    bianchi via nirone 7 reparto corse 2008 alu/carbon 105

http://app.strava.com/athletes/1248390
  • I'm 50 yrs old..22 stone...was quite slim & fit 5 yrs ago but have since retired and spread on the sofa watching Hollyoaks and Jeremy Kyle. I last road a bike, a Raleigh Europa, in 1980. Then, a couple of years ago, I started watching the Tour De France ( because there was nothing else better to watch on TV ) and instantly fell for the sporting side of cycling. I've now bought a Cube Attention, replaced the tyres with roadies, bought some lights and a hi - viz jacket and have been out riding 3 times this past week, making a fool of myself with the locals. It's cold, dangerous, often torturous and I'd like to meet the slob who invented hills !!...But cycling gives me purpose and somehow makes me feel good. It also makes me sad because I know my best years are behind me and it's something I should have done 35 years ago. But I'm making progress...I'm learning new things...and there's a Trek Madone 3.5 with my name on it come summer...Can anyone tell me how to ride in cleats ?? FBGB (Fatbelly Gutbucket)
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    Swaller wrote:
    I'm 50 yrs old..22 stone...was quite slim & fit 5 yrs ago but have since retired and spread on the sofa watching Hollyoaks and Jeremy Kyle. I last road a bike, a Raleigh Europa, in 1980. Then, a couple of years ago, I started watching the Tour De France ( because there was nothing else better to watch on TV ) and instantly fell for the sporting side of cycling. I've now bought a Cube Attention, replaced the tyres with roadies, bought some lights and a hi - viz jacket and have been out riding 3 times this past week, making a fool of myself with the locals. It's cold, dangerous, often torturous and I'd like to meet the slob who invented hills !!...But cycling gives me purpose and somehow makes me feel good. It also makes me sad because I know my best years are behind me and it's something I should have done 35 years ago. But I'm making progress...I'm learning new things...and there's a Trek Madone 3.5 with my name on it come summer...Can anyone tell me how to ride in cleats ?? FBGB (Fatbelly Gutbucket)

Really good informative post - what I started the thread for in the first place. My question is - how the hell did you retire at 45 and WTF are you doing watching JK and Hollyoaks? I am considerably younger than you and that has never floated my boat?!

I presume you know about the 39 stone cyclist who was my inspiration? http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/

Cleats are just a case of intuition and one of the best investments you can make to your riding experience. You don't need to spend a fortune - I think I spent about £60 all in with shoes and pedals - both mountain bike designed but better for me as I like to walk around a bit on part of my rides.

And IMO you walk and look like a bit of a Knob in full on cycling shoes - but your choice.

Anyway - if you are genuine road beginner, best of luck.

Unfortunately there seem to be more than a few people with a bit of an unhelpful attitude.

Cheers
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Thebigbee wrote:
    Unfortunately there seem to be more than a few people with a bit of an unhelpful attitude.

Very few to be honest, 99% of people on here are very helpful, but people will have a bit of fun if you act like a complete numpty :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Thebigbee wrote:

Cheers

There is certainly a lot of people with all the gear that look at the "new guy" like he is an idiot. Only sport I never experienced this with is boxing, I went once, felt like a total idiot and said "no thanks, won't be back, I'm years away"... all the fit, fast, skipping, press-up destroying boxers there all said "we started somewhere mate, keep it up"... I lost 20lb and have never been fitter. Sadly, that was 6 years ago and now I need something else - hence the bike!

I've ridden out twice now, the other cyclists in Richmond park bothered me FAR more than the cars did!
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Thebigbee wrote:

Cheers

There is certainly a lot of people with all the gear that look at the "new guy" like he is an idiot.

I'm afraid in this case its more a case of "look at the trolling idiot" to be honest - have a look at the thread of the year contender at "New Bike - Online Retailer, Broken Chain, Advice Please" as its hilarious. To complain about an "unhelpful attitude" after calling someone an "idiot" and then insulting pretty much every poster on the thread is asking to be given a load of stick and zero sympathy.

Anyway - have a read and enjoy :lol::lol:
  • MattC59
    Thebigbee wrote:

Cheers

There is certainly a lot of people with all the gear that look at the "new guy" like he is an idiot.

I'm afraid in this case its more a case of "look at the trolling idiot" to be honest - have a look at the thread of the year contender at "New Bike - Online Retailer, Broken Chain, Advice Please" as its hilarious. To complain about an "unhelpful attitude" after calling someone an "idiot" and then insulting pretty much every poster on the thread is asking to be given a load of stick and zero sympathy.

This one:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12831510

followed by this one:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12831568
  • 32, I've started as jogging was getting to my knees :)
  • I'm 45, I last rode when I was about 11, used to have a Peugeout racer, anyway up untill my early 30's I was quite fit, used to play football which I really enjoyed but since I stopped playing the only sporting activity I participate in is golf which I really love, it's probably my true sporting passion, problem with that is that it doesn't exactly help with getting fit. I was going to join a gym but it didn't really appeal to me so rather than spend £600 a year on gym membership I have bought myself a Giant Roam 1. I picked it up on Friday and since then I have been out on it 3 times. I have been doing a 10 mile round trip, don't know if that is good or bad but it has been bloody hard work. I suppose like most other people my goal is to lose some weight and get fit.
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee wrote:

Cheers

Not entirely sure how your hijacking of this thread helps or has anything to do with it - but cheers!
  • Thebigbee
    MattC59 wrote:
    Thebigbee wrote:

Cheers

This one:

followed by this one:

Not entirely sure how your hijacking of this thread helps or has anything to do with it - but cheers!

You obviously aren't in anyway obessed with me are ya?

What does your post have to do with the OP and the responses to it?

Oddball, weirdo - for sure!
  • MattC59
    Thebigbee wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    Thebigbee wrote:

Cheers

This one:

followed by this one:

Do you know, I might be, I can't believe nor can wait for your next outburst.

My apologies, I thought I was posting in the other thread of identical title, silly me. I guess if you will post two threads with the same title, one of which being purely abusive, you have to expect the simpletons on here to get confused.

Legendary, truely legendary !! (and not in a good way !)
  • bigbee - I am sorry but you asked for this. For goodness sake if you don't like it and don't find it fun the lay low for a while, leave the chain snap thread alone and it will lose any fun and energy. I thought it has stopped but you went back and started it up again.
  • I started riding when I was 3 and have ridden bikes ever since, I absolutely love cycling in almost any form. I've competed at a high level in Trials competitions in the early days when Chris Akrigg rode for Pace, and failed miserably at Cyclo-cross races in my later years. As for road cycling, I did a bit when I was in my early twenties but I'm just about to start crit racing so this year could be eventful!!

And seeing as it's topical, I could fix a broken chain when I was 7... unfortunately I didn't have the internet so just had to get on back out and enjoy being on my bike, instead of throwing an online paddy!
  • TommyB61
    TommyB61 Posts: 103
    Having not cycled since I was a kid, I started riding an MTB 3 years or so to keep fit. Got my first road bike last year at the age of 49....wish I'd done it sooner!
  • jogon
    jogon Posts: 13
    Fifty

And what are your reasons for picking the sport up?
    Need exercise. Hate Gyms and a good bike should be viewed as not the purchase price but "cost-per-use". Always enjoyed cycling and the freedom it gives, mixed road, path, cycleway and towpaths etc. Cycling into nearest city and going 'right in', parking free is a joy.

The endorphin kick after a mixed 28 miler is a joy.

Also what cycling / exercise / fitness history do you have?
    Cycled as a kid age circa 8-13 but crap bike without gears (trendy now!).
    Borrowed mates 10spd tourer at college and smitten. Bought own and used for 20+years. Started using Mtb Hardtail more. Got rid of tourer.

Finally what bike have you bought / now use?
    Giant Yukon Hardtail Mtb 2007.
    Now would like (in addition, keep both) Giant Defy 4 2011 model as it's cheaper.

Interested to know your thoughts - answer as many as you want and give as much history as you want.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Thebigbee wrote:

BigBee - you really are extremely dim aren't you!! You hijacked your own thread to kick it all off on here too (this being one of two identically titled ones with two apparently different motives) to start on about all those who gave you some stick back by claiming everyone is childish (near the bottom of page 16 - "Unfortunately there seem to be more than a few people with a bit of an unhelpful attitude.").

Do you really think people believe forum members on here are not reading all your childish rants? All posts are dated and timed so everyone can see your insults are timed before anyone gives you stick back, so making you look even more dim when you complain about it in other threads!!

Carry on anyway - everyone can see in the broken chain thread that you made an ar$e of yourself and have taken on a good dozen or so people!! If you think anyone will believe a word you say over dozen or more who say you're a grade A knob then keep going - we're all enjoying the good laugh!! :lol::lol:
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    The big 40 in 6 weeks. Not ridden a bike for 20 years.

Used to be into it in my teens and had a Raliegh Record Sprint (all my paper round could afford).

Getting back into it to get fit and see if the bug re-takes.

Just bought a Cannondale CAAD5 with ultegra and R20 wheels (off here actually) so we will see how it goes.
    Yellow is the new Black.