The Oxo Tower

Comments

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    So in your opinion not a very hygenic place then?

Scores on the doors(yes that is a real website) and Southark Council rate this as a 4star experience :shock:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    For views of London at sunset/night the Vertigo bar at the top of the NatWest tower (Tower 42) near Liverpool Street Station is hard to beat. You only have to pay for drinks & snacks, so it's not too dear if you only have one drink.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited April 2011
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Social standing has very litle to do with matters carnal. A friend of mine loved being a 'bit of ruff' to 'posh totty' and his favourite saying was "You can't be a snob with a knob in your gob"
    :lol::lol::lol:

See here is the thing. I've got a fair few friends who either went to private school or pride themselves on being middle class/posh.

In discussions carnal, which often extends to their equally if not more posh girlfriends it seems the reserved demeanor extends to the bedroom... It always sounds a bit boring to me.

Croydon/Essex bird. That's where its at. :lol:

Where is LiT's from again... It's just a well taught accent I'm sure of it! :lol::lol::lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • JonEdwards
    JonEdwards Posts: 452
    I've not taken the missus up there, but I have done some work up it. The entrance is pretty restricted - was a bit of a wriggle to get in. It was also very dark, quite smelly and a bit damp, so full PPE was necessary along with a headtorch for navigation purposes. I enjoyed the experience, but it's not something I'd want to do every day.

:wink:
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Social standing has very litle to do with matters carnal. A friend of mine loved being a 'bit of ruff' to 'posh totty' and his favourite saying was "You can't be a snob with a knob in your gob"

See here is the thing. I've got a fair few friends who either went to private school or pride themselves on being middle class/posh.

In discussions carnal, which often extends to their equally if not more posh girlfriends it seems the reserved demeanor extends to the bedroom... It always sounds a bit boring to me.

Where is LiT's from again... It's just a well taught accent I'm sure of it! :lol::lol::lol:

I'm from Cornwall originally. I left there aged 5 and went to a ladies' seminary in Chichester, where I had elocution lessons to get rid of the 'troublesome' west country accent, so yes it is taught to an extent.

I've lived for over 20 years in the very northernmost part of essex, a couple of miles from the suffolk border, although technically I'm from Cornwall, I'm from essex, if you see what I mean.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I'm too fat to get through the turnstile.
  • DonDaddyD
    although technically I'm from Cornwall, I'm from essex, if you see what I mean.

Framed.

I'm going to assume that that, by extension, is an answer to the Oxo Tower question.

Edit: Every man on this website has a little bit of a crush on you right now....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I don't. I'm gay.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,391
    edited April 2011
    Does Mrs Clarkey Cat know? EDIT: Or is that how you refer to him... oh you've just answered that.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • clarkey cat
    yes he does
  • DonDaddyD
    You know I just realised something.

This type of thread is right up the Greg's (66 and T) street. There is a serious lack of participation from them on this one. It can only mean one thing.
    Food Chain number = 4

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Thats incredibly naive. The most debauched venues in London are probably also the most middle class. If there was any correlation to be found between class and sexuality at all its probably has more to do with discretion rather than how reserved people are.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    The chips were good, but the wine rather duff.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,391
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Thats incredibly naive. The most debauched venues in London are probably also the most middle class. If there was any correlation to be found between class and sexuality at all its probably has more to do with discretion rather than how reserved people are.

Indeed. Less talking doesn't mean less doing.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I'm from Cornwall originally. I left there aged 5 and went to a ladies' seminary in Chichester, where I had elocution lessons to get rid of the 'troublesome' west country accent, so yes it is taught to an extent.

I've lived for over 20 years in the very northernmost part of essex, a couple of miles from the suffolk border, although technically I'm from Cornwall, I'm from essex, if you see what I mean.
    Didn't you also live in Cambridge?

Pfft.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    thelawnet wrote:
    prj45 wrote:
    I took my girlfriend up there a few weeks ago. The view's nice, but it was an overrated experience all-in-all.

Eh? You must've been doing something wrong I reckon!

Maybe it's because it felt a little tight in there for my tastes. Perhaps it is better suited to the smaller gentleman.

A true gentleman would have gone in the front door, and would categorically never use the tradesman's entrance.

Suppose the front door was out of action because the painters were in and the lady in question requested that the back door be used?
    Would a gentleman deny the lady's request?

As discussed a gentleman never goes in the tradesman's entrance.

As for accessing the other entrance when the painters are in, a true gentleman should politely decline, stains caused by pushing a wet front door bell end only in tears.
  • DonDaddyD
    edited April 2011
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Thats incredibly naive. The most debauched venues in London are probably also the most middle class.

Are they or aren't they. You can't say that I'm being naive and then include the word 'probably'. What probably implies is that you are not sure yourself so how, if this is my singular experience and when talking in the context of my friends, am I being naive. I'm not saying all middle class people are lame in bed. I'm saying of my friends those dating working class girls tend to see more wide and diverse action.

If there was any correlation to be found between class and sexuality at all its probably has more to do with discretion rather than how reserved people are.
    [/quote]

"If there was" So again you are not sure. So how are you so sure that I'm being naive? Especially when I'm talking within the context of my social ciricle.

Furthermore I don't think it has anything to do with discretion, middle class people are no more discrete than any other classes. What I think it has to do with is social taboos, education and aspirations etc.

But there are too many variables to account for me to discuss this on a population level. So I'll again make a sweeping generalisation within the context of my friends. I find the working class bunch more dirty and less affected by social taboos/inhibitions (less to lose, who knows...).

Of course, there are some "middle class" girls I know with little time on their hands to focus on relationships, human needs, money to explore and very few self-limiting inhibitions. Those are freaks.

But in truth I don't think this is something you boil down to right and wrong. Just personal experience.
    Food Chain number = 4

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I'm a man, but I ain't always gentle!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    thelawnet wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    thelawnet wrote:
    prj45 wrote:
    I took my girlfriend up there a few weeks ago. The view's nice, but it was an overrated experience all-in-all.

Eh? You must've been doing something wrong I reckon!

Maybe it's because it felt a little tight in there for my tastes. Perhaps it is better suited to the smaller gentleman.

A true gentleman would have gone in the front door, and would categorically never use the tradesman's entrance.

Suppose the front door was out of action because the painters were in and the lady in question requested that the back door be used?
    Would a gentleman deny the lady's request?

As discussed a gentleman never goes in the tradesman's entrance.

As for accessing the other entrance when the painters are in, a true gentleman should politely decline, stains caused by pushing a wet front door bell end only in tears.

Not for me that one. Wow, I beginning to look like a restaurant prude. Won't go if they're redecorating and won't take the alternate option either....
    Food Chain number = 4

• jonny_trousers
    Hang on a second! You lot are talking about anal sex aren't you :shock:
  • clarkey cat
    well I certainly wasnt but re-reading some of these posts I'm wondering if other people were...
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Not for me that one. Wow, I beginning to look like a restaurant prude. Won't go if they're redecorating and won't take the alternate option either....

It shouldn't be a problem if you are diplomatic about it. 'No darling, I am not going down there today, it's just too messy at the moment, however I will make it up to you by taking you twice on another day when things are back to normal.'
  • notsoblue
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Thats incredibly naive. The most debauched venues in London are probably also the most middle class.

Are they or aren't they. You can't say that I'm being naive and then include the word 'probably'. What probably implies is that you are not sure yourself so how, if this is my singular experience and when talking in the context of my friends, am I being naive. I'm not saying all middle class people are lame in bed. I'm saying of my friends those dating working class girls tend to see more wide and diverse action.

You appeared (to me) to be saying that working class people are more sexually adventurous. In fact you almost confirm that by saying that "of my friends those dating working class girls tend to see more wide and diverse action". I was just countering that by suggesting that you perhaps aren't seeing the full picture. :P
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    If there was any correlation to be found between class and sexuality at all its probably has more to do with discretion rather than how reserved people are.

"If there was" So again you are not sure. So how are you so sure that I'm being naive? Especially when I'm talking within the context of my social ciricle.

Well my point was that I don't think there is any significant correlation between class and sexuality. And that any perception of one is probably more likely due to discretion.
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Furthermore I don't think it has anything to do with discretion, middle class people are no more discrete than any other classes. What I think it has to do with is social taboos, education and aspirations etc.

Well you're kinda making my point for me there. Theres more aspirational value to being discrete in a society which considers liberal sexual expression as something undesirable in its "upper echelons". If you equate class with education and aspiration, then surely you can see why the middle class would be more discrete than the working class. It would be impossible to quantify 'width' and 'diversity' of "action", but if it was, I reckon there wouldn't be much difference between classes.
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    But there are too many variables to account for me to discuss this on a population level. So I'll again make a sweeping generalisation within the context of my friends. I find the working class bunch more dirty and less affected by social taboos/inhibitions (less to lose, who knows...).

Yeah, cool, again, I'm just offering another opinion.
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Of course, there are some "middle class" girls I know with little time on their hands to focus on relationships, human needs, money to explore and very few self-limiting inhibitions. Those are freaks.

Whoa.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    notsoblue wrote:
    Well my point was that I don't think there is any significant correlation between class and sexuality. And that any perception of one is probably more likely due to discretion.

Have to quite strongly disagree with you there sir and having talked at length with a number of people from various class levels its not discretion. I'm not saying that upper class don't have orgies or massively sleep around - but my money would be on a "significant" difference in proclivities between lower and upper class at very least. Would a very brief look at the number of working class mothers who have different baby husbands v the number in upper class not suggest a difference in their attitude to sexual liasons?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue wrote:

Have to quite strongly disagree with you there sir and having talked at length with a number of people from various class levels its not discretion. I'm not saying that upper class don't have orgies or massively sleep around - but my money would be on a "significant" difference in proclivities between lower and upper class at very least. Would a very brief look at the number of working class mothers who have different baby husbands v the number in upper class not suggest a difference in their attitude to sexual liasons?

Hmmm, yeah, you've got a point. But I suggest that the multiple baby-daddy pattern being more prevalent in the working class has more to do with their attitude to relationships in general rather than specifically their sexual liaisons.

This is an odd discussion though, you can't really say that one class is more sexually adventurous than another. Because the definition is so fuzzy and subjective, and its impossible to back it up with anything meaningful.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    One of the best forms of contraception is education.
    If a woman is well educated (and I think its fair to assume that Felicity from Oxfordshire is better educated than Tracy from the council estate) she is more likely to make sure she doesn't get pregnant accidentally. Felicity may shag around just as much or more than Tracy, but the middle class/upper class woman is less likely to have the multiple baby fathers as evidence.

This may not always be true though:
    charlesharry.jpg

I've also heard that in times gone by, taking the wife/girlfriend up the wrong'un was considered a form of contraception but kept very hush hush.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • clarkey cat
    I'm as posh as a lord and I love a good orgy.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Jeremy Paxman in "The English" claims that in the aristocracy, infidelity used to be considered fair game, once a son had been produced.

He quoted a telegram to give this statement colour.
    Darling, you will be pleased to know I have borne you a son and heir.

PS. This is not a circular
  • jonny_trousers
    notsoblue wrote:
    This is an odd discussion though, you can't really say that one class is more sexually adventurous than another. Because the definition is so fuzzy and subjective, and its impossible to back it up with anything meaningful.

Ha! I love the way this topic has shifted direction. The above is obviously the truth.
  • DonDaddyD
    notsoblue wrote:
    You appeared (to me) to be saying that working class people are more sexually adventurous. In fact you almost confirm that by saying that "of my friends those dating working class girls tend to see more wide and diverse action". I was just countering that by suggesting that you perhaps aren't seeing the full picture.

You're contradicting yourself.

I'm either talking specifically about a section of my social circle and the social classes they may be categorised in.

Or

I'm talking about the population grouped by social classes.

Given that I clearly said in my post, which you quoted but I'll re-quote for clarity sake:
    Me wrote:
    I've got a fair few friends who either went to private school or pride themselves on being middle class/posh.

It is quite clear that I'm talking, anecdotally, within the context and singular experience of my small social circle i.e. friends. I said friends, you acknowledge that I said friends. There are always going to be exceptions, my circle of friends may, in fact, could be an exception. If I was talking about the whole general populous I would have referenced something far broader than my social circle.
    I think there is a correlation. Education, schooling, aspiration, religion, socially defined taboos will differ between social classes and within that you may begin to identify correlation between class and sexuality. The most obvious being teenage pregnancy or women with children from different Dad's. These are things, there are others, that you may find more apparent in some social classes than others. These are aspects of sexuality.
    Well you're kinda making my point for me there. Theres more aspirational value to being discrete in a society which considers liberal sexual expression as something undesirable in its "upper echelons". If you equate class with education and aspiration, then surely you can see why the middle class would be more discrete than the working class. It would be impossible to quantify 'width' and 'diversity' of "action", but if it was, I reckon there wouldn't be much difference between classes.
    To be honest I think this is a well written response that actually means nothing.

People, individuals are discrete about their sex lives because we are taught as a whole that sex is something personal. This is why when you read that I like having my nipples licked and I do I actually do, the average reaction is to rather negative in nature.

A group of guys, close friends talking about their sex lives however is another matter.

Going back to my point above what I was saying is that a lot of the "posh" girls I know tend to be quite reserved and that extends to the bedroom. That hasn't got anything to do with discretion, because their boyfriends are telling me.

Any correlation of how the general population approaches sex, personalities notwithstanding, as defined by social class will likely be determined by factors within their social class.

However, what you are doing is taking one little reference I made about my small group of friends and assuming that I'm talking about the general population. I'm not. So I don't see how I'm being naive.
    Food Chain number = 4