The Oxo Tower

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Sausage platter @ the Morpeth :roll:

:lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    itboffin wrote:

I'd give her a sausage platter at the morpeth.
  • prj45 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I'd give her a sausage platter at the morpeth.

We appear to have segued into the realm of the single entendre...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Oxo Tower would be good for people who are not really poncy about food and will enjoy the 'experience', also the staff are not patronising which is nice. However my favorite really special place to eat that I have found so far is clos maggiore near covent garden. I had a really great evening there with Mrs Welkman eating and drinking our way through the tasting menu. Yum.
  • Greg66 wrote:
    We appear to have segued into the realm of the single entendre...

You should have said that you wanted a double entendre.....

..... I'm sure someone would have given you one.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    rhodes 24?
    Get the view and nice food.

http://www.rhodes24.co.uk/
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Oh, & if you were to do the oxo tower, think you'd prefer the restaurant over the brasserie
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Ah great. When he said he was thinking of taking his g/f up the oxo tower on the other thread I was going to ask if that was a euphemism. I thought better of it cos that could have seemed disrespectful and like I had a dirty mind. Now I find out it is a euphemism which makes me feel a lot less cheap and seedy,
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    jds_1981 wrote:
    rhodes 24?

There's another restaurant hgher up (or is that a champagne bar?). 42nd floor I think.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Kurako wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:
    rhodes 24?

There's another restaurant hgher up (or is that a champagne bar?). 42nd floor I think.

Had my first commercial job interview (Natwest bank) there way way way back in the early 80s needless to say I got the job :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    JZed wrote:

Thanks for reminding me of that, have just snorked water all over my keyboard and earned several disapproving stares.

My pleasure :lol::lol::lol:
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I took my girlfriend up there a few weeks ago. The view's nice, but it was an overrated experience all-in-all. At least I got to tell my mates I'd finally been there.
  • prj45
    I took my girlfriend up there a few weeks ago. The view's nice, but it was an overrated experience all-in-all.

Eh? You must've been doing something wrong I reckon!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'm going to have to explain to the office why I'm laughing to myself v.soon.

I'll just have to ask if they have ever taken their gfs up the OXO tower.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I answered the poll before reading the thread; now I'm not sure if my vote was correct. What a dilemma!
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • itboffin wrote:
    Kurako wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:
    rhodes 24?

Had my first commercial job interview (Natwest bank) there way way way back in the early 80s needless to say I got the job :wink:

The things some people do to further their careers.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Some people seem unaware of the connotations of taking someone up the Oxo Tower. The question is, is DDD asking this with a straight face or is her really contemplating use of the "other" Oxo Tower.... So to speak..?

I recently went up Centrepoint for a mate's birthday. We went all the way to the top. Really good experience, great view.... I recommend it...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • prj45
    Some people seem unaware of the connotations of taking someone up the Oxo Tower. The question is, is DDD asking this with a straight face or is her really contemplating use of the "other" Oxo Tower.... So to speak..?

I recently went up Centrepoint for a mate's birthday. We went all the way to the top. Really good experience, great view.... I recommend it...

Centrepoint, where/what the f***k is that?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I took an ex-girlfriend up the oxo tower one time. She was very uncomfortable there but I felt that as I come all this way I wasn't going to leave until I was fully satiated. I'm not sure she enjoyed the full 3 courses and I don't know what she had but the bathroom stunk afterwards!

(was that too much?)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    prj45 wrote:

Centrepoint, where/what the f***k is that?

One of the chakras of the human body....? A building in London?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,391
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre_Point

On top of Tottenham Court Road tube station
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Galvin at Windows.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    edited April 2011
    prj45 wrote:
    I took my girlfriend up there a few weeks ago. The view's nice, but it was an overrated experience all-in-all.

Maybe it's because it felt a little tight in there for my tastes. Perhaps it is better suited to the smaller gentleman.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689

Perhaps I meant both....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    prj45 wrote:

Maybe it's because it felt a little tight in there for my tastes. Perhaps it is better suited to the smaller gentleman.

A true gentleman would have gone in the front door, and would categorically never use the tradesman's entrance.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    thelawnet wrote:
    prj45 wrote:

A true gentleman would have gone in the front door, and would categorically never use the tradesman's entrance.

Suppose the front door was out of action because the painters were in and the lady in question requested that the back door be used?
    Would a gentleman deny the lady's request?

This is beyond a joke now.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Suppose the front door was out of action because the painters were in and the lady in question requested that the back door be used?

Surely the lady would have to have prior knowledge about the backdoor being accessible. In that instance one would have to question the social standing of the lady as one couldn't possibly conceive of entering through the backdoor on a regular, normal or everyday basis.

Certainly the most appropriate question under those circumstances would be "Been their before have we?"
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I took my missus up the Oxo Tower, as has been noted before, it can be difficult to get in at first but once in I found it to be a very comfortable experience. One thing I did notice though was the amount of hanger-ons crowding the entrance. I swept them aside quite bruskly, not wanting them to spoil a wonderful evening and even though they were still in mind when inside, the quality of the service really made the whole experience one to remember.
  • DonDaddyD
    edited April 2011
    I took my missus up the Oxo Tower, as has been noted before, it can be difficult to get in at first but once in I found it to be a very comfortable experience. One thing I did notice though was the amount of hanger-ons crowding the entrance. I swept them aside quite bruskly, not wanting them to spoil a wonderful evening and even though they were still in mind when inside, the quality of the service really made the whole experience one to remember.

So in your opinion not a very hygenic place then?

Maybe they should invest in a smaller version of the water jets used to disperse crowds during riots?
    Food Chain number = 4

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Surely the lady would have to have prior knowledge about the backdoor being accessible. In that instance one would have to question the social standing of the lady as one couldn't possibly conceive of entering through the backdoor on a regular, normal or everyday basis.

Certainly the most appropriate question under those circumstances would be "Been their before have we?"

Social standing has very litle to do with matters carnal. A friend of mine loved being a 'bit of ruff' to 'posh totty' and his favourite saying was "You can't be a snob with a knob in your gob"
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!