Paris Roubaix *spoiler*

Comments

• dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    NapoleonD wrote:
    CAPTION TIME! What's Chinny thinking?...

Why do I keep finding myself on steps lower than riders without even half my talent?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Lanky jammy ba5tard!
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    "You may have your cobble, but I have the Frenchfighter Seal of Approval"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • cornoyemade
    cornoyemade Posts: 180
    NapoleonD wrote:
    CAPTION TIME! What's Chinny thinking?...

565-RTR2L2F1.jpg

I should have joined Garmin.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    I know that it was between leopard and sky for canc last summer and the lure of the team he has always been with held out for canc but I wonder how different the last fortnight might have been had he joined sky.

I mean over both races he has been impressive but today from 50k out not being able to shake Thor and knowing he had two up the road it was difficult to see how he could go about winning. If he towed Thor to the lead group he was sure to get a going over by garmin and sky and bmc also had support up front. O Grady put some work in early both weeks before canc put big attacks in but leopard is surely a gt support heavy team and leaving canc to fend for himself in the classics, I would expect he will still repay more than he is getting in the gts though.

Garmin had so many options in the final 50 and got their tactics spot on clearly changing the game plan with the options they had later in the race. Fair play.
  • Is it possible that Cancellara is just a really, really high end headbanger?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Best. Helmet-hair. EVAH!

11.04.2011_parisroubaix_vansummern_bentover.jpg

BTW, was van Summeren wearing a skinsuit (with pockets)? Father Vaughters has tried this with his minions in the past.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Hypothosis - I recon Canc would have done the Roubaix Flanders double had he had a stronger team.

Canc suffered in the same way Boonen did last year - only he was a little better.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The 'Hard Man of the Day Award' has to go to Kurt Asle Arvesen. He rode the last 20km without a saddle.

See here: http://www.sporza.be/permalink/1.1000639
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Sheeeyite! JvS punctured with 5k to go!

Woudl Cancellara have known that?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    LangerDan wrote:
    Best. Helmet-hair. EVAH!

11.04.2011_parisroubaix_vansummern_bentover.jpg

BTW, was van Summeren wearing a skinsuit (with pockets)? Father Vaughters has tried this with his minions in the past.

What helmet hair? All I saw was a generously proportioned female!
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Noclue wrote:
    Sorry if it's already been covered some where else but i couldn't see it, but what bike was JvS riding? obviously a Cervelo one but the tubes looked pretty skinny on it and i didn't recognize it.

I suspect it's a standard R5, just in a huge size making the tubes look skinny in proportion.

Nah, it was an R3. According to garmin twitter they were all on R3s..

Hey this is the internet remember. Enough of your facts and leave me to my uninformed guesswork please. :lol:
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Hypothosis - I recon Canc would have done the Roubaix Flanders double had he had a stronger team.

Canc suffered in the same way Boonen did last year - only he was a little better.
    Can't disagree with that. If Leotard had a rider in the front group, Canc, Hushovd and Ballan could have worked together to bridge up without having the "team mate up front" issue. Mind you, whether Ballan and Hushovd WOULD have actually worked with is another matter.

Will be interesting to see for 2012 if:
    a) Leotard will get some classics reinforcements in or stay focused on the Schleck TdF project
    b) whether Fabian will show his hand quite to clearly in a "chipper" like the E3 Priijs
  • rick_chasey
    Bronzie wrote:

Can't disagree with that. If Leotard had a rider in the front group, Canc, Hushovd and Ballan could have worked together to bridge up without having the "team mate up front" issue. Mind you, whether Ballan and Hushovd WOULD have actually worked with is another matter.

Had Boonen not had a mechanical, he'd likely have made that elite selection and he's always game to ride.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    LangerDan wrote:

All the Garmin Cervelo guys should've been wearing the Castelli Speedsuit - a hybrid road/skinsuit outfit.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Bronzie wrote:

Had Boonen not had a mechanical, he'd likely have made that elite selection and he's always game to ride.

I bet you inside Thor was desperate to ride, JvS maybe a team mate but another year slips by with no P-R.
  • rick_chasey
    I'm sure he was too.

I do think he figured he was in a profitable position though.

It was, had Ballan taken turns, the only way to eat from Cancellara's plate.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    RichN95 wrote:
    The 'Hard Man of the Day Award' has to go to Kurt Asle Arvesen. He rode the last 20km without a saddle.

See here: http://www.sporza.be/permalink/1.1000639

Haha, thanks. Didnt see him sit once on top tube. His legs must be smashed, especially after the previous kms. Good on him, not a quitter, although I am not quite understanding why his mechanics were not there. I guess it is possible they had no bikes or saddles left.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Good on him, not a quitter, although I am not quite understanding why his mechanics were not there. I guess it is possible they had no bikes or saddles left.

When riders are all over the place, the cars can only follow certain riders.
  • frenchfighter
    Leukeman comments:
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8073/ ... ubaix.aspx

Boonen and Chavanel comments (Boonen hasn't had a flat in 10 years at Roubaix! And only fallen twice! Definite bad luck):
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8072/ ... -Step.aspx

Cancellara comments (note nice words for JVS):
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8071/ ... -good.aspx

JVS comments:
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8069/ ... r-win.aspx
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Imagine if Wiggins had tried to stay in the break like Tjallingii.

Nice video of Roubaix prep with Hushovd:
    http://vimeo.com/21854107
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    Canc definately needs to be looking at getting the management to bring in more Classics support for next season. All his main competitors had people in the break and could legitimately make him do the hard work on his own. One of the great races though.
  • sportvan
    sportvan Posts: 105
    The following prize money will be distributed:

PLACES PRIZES
    1st € 30, 000
    2nd € 22, 000
    3rd € 15, 000
    4th € 7, 500
    5th € 3, 200
    6th € 1, 700
    7th € 1, 500
    8th € 1, 300
    9th € 1, 200
    10th € 1, 100
    11th € 1, 000
    12th € 900
    13th € 800
    14th € 700
    15th € 600
    16th € 500
    17th € 500
    18th € 500
    19th € 500
    20th € 500
    TOTAL € 91,000

The overall total amount of prize money distributed for the competition is €91, 000.
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    Cancellara comes across as a bad loser given his comments following RvV and Paris-Roubaix. his words about Nuyens last Sunday suggested he expects others to take him on in the way that enables him to crush them, and seems to think he has some weird entitlement to winning those two big races. good on nuyens for racing intelligently, he knew he couldn't beat the big boys at their own game so won his own way, showing a smart racing brain.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    He was probably making those comments on purpose to try to stir riders into attacking him but I don't think the others are going to fall for that.
  • rick_chasey
    If you replace Vansummeren with O'Grady and Cancellara with Boonen - it's a very similar story to '07.
  • frenchfighter
    Bernard Hinault won it just the once, but did so on a day that would break anyone else. Hinault had 3 punctures and 7 crashes, and when the photographers’ motorbikes crashed ahead he ran through a boggy field with his bike over his shoulder. Hinault made a break 8km’s from the finish, but was brought back and then crashed into a dog. Joining the lead group just as they entered the velodrome, Hinault was in 6 man sprint against the likes of Moser and de Vlaeminck. He won by sprinting from nearly a kilometre out, almost winning by sheer intimidation.

From here. A great piece well worth a read:

http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2011/04/ ... r-du-nord/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Another stupid newbie question

On several occasions when Cancellara put the pressure on and Thor was trying to keep up, he wasn't actually wheel sucking/drafting but actually on the other side of the road a bike length behind.

Why?

Also I'll ask my other question again..would Cancellara have known that JvS had a puncture before he made his last move?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Another stupid newbie question

On several occasions when Cancellara put the pressure on and Thor was trying to keep up, he wasn't actually wheel sucking/drafting but actually on the other side of the road a bike length behind.

Why?

They'd chosen different lines over the cobbles. And you want to keep going in a more or less straight line (well, let the bike go where it wants to go in as straight a line as it will let you) - Unlike on the normal road, you can't just move over into someones wheel on the stones
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Another stupid newbie question

Why?

Also I'll ask my other question again..would Cancellara have known that JvS had a puncture before he made his last move?

On a surface like that its very difficult to change your line and will usually slow you up. If Cancellara goes and Hushovd is riding a different line he's just got to hammer it and hope he's there or there abouts by the time the surface calms down.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent