The cycling industry are a bunch of

12346»

Comments

• Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    vorsprung wrote:
    Valy wrote:
    Why are hybrids looked down on?

Most really awful bikes, the £50 from Tesco bikes with brakes that don't work- the ones we call "BSO" (Bike Shaped Object) are hybrids

There are some great hybrids about but simply because most of the truely bad bikes are hybrids, most hybrids are not good.

TBH I never seen a BSO hybrid...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Valy wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:
    Valy wrote:

Most really awful bikes, the £50 from Tesco bikes with brakes that don't work- the ones we call "BSO" (Bike Shaped Object) are hybrids

There are some great hybrids about but simply because most of the truely bad bikes are hybrids, most hybrids are not good.

You asked for this. Don't blame me if your eyes start to sting.

Are you ready?

You have been warned.

ikea_bike.top.jpg

Bet you wish you could delete that image from your mind.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I think that's more MTB than it is hybrid.

I'd be willing to bet those are 26" wheels.
  • My eyes, they burn :D
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Valy wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:
    Valy wrote:

You asked for this. Don't blame me if your eyes start to sting.

Are you ready?

You have been warned.

ikea_bike.top.jpg

COOL! DADDY CAN I HAVE ONE CAN I HAVE ONE DADDY?!!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Daughter works in Halfords, the biggest problem she says she has is people coming in 'knowing' what bike they want to buy, then describing their usage as actually wanting something different but still buying the one they decided on before entering the shop, almost like all they want is the sales person to tell them their choice was right.

As for the next fad being SS, well Decathlon brought out the vitamin and it's now discontinued........

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kingmho
    kingmho Posts: 37
    edited April 2011
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    ikea_bike.top.jpg

That's actually more functional than some of the brakeless fixed-gear posing contraptions I see lurching around in London when it's sunny. :lol:

k.
  • kingmho
    kingmho Posts: 37
    <snip>
    The experience has put me off Evans, but I am sure they have wonderful salespeople on their payroll too. Do they push Specialized bikes for any particular reason beyond them being the best choice for the customer? I have no idea, but like someone said above, they certainly wouldn't be the first company to do such a thing.
    Hmmmm, could it be that Specialized and Evans are, as they say, incahoots? :shock:

Now when you went to the Pearson shop, and they tried to sell you a Pearson Touche, maybe, just perhaps....naaah :wink:

k.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    nation wrote:

Well, if the continuum of hybrids goes from 700c wheeled flat bar road bikes to 26" wheeled hardtails MTBs, this is going towards the MTB end.

What ever it is, its a piece of rubbish that was given free to IKEA employees. Wasn't that nice of IKEA?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    nation wrote:

Well, if the continuum of hybrids goes from 700c wheeled flat bar road bikes to 26" wheeled hardtails MTBs, this is going towards the MTB end.

What ever it is, its a piece of rubbish that was given free to IKEA employees. Wasn't that nice of IKEA?

I thought I recognised it.

There's a video floating around somewhere of an Ikea employee trying to ride one with the forks turned backwards.