Milan - San Remo Spoiler

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    I'm not sure Goss would have won if they had gone hell for leather after the last corner but they all did the sit up and look at everyone else trick trying not to be in front...

I said to myself this is great for Goss and I was right (a rarity in itself!)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    come on why are we writing cav off. The race split because of a crash, and as most teams had blokes in the lead group they didn't chase. What would of happened if goss wasn't in the lead group?

At the end of the day theres no one who can come close to cav in paris.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I'm not going to write him off, but he's had a pretty awful start to the season hasn't he? He needs to pull his finger out or risk being marginalised.

Cav's targets this year are in July and September. Holding form for 6 months is pretty much impossible. Don't write off his season half way through March.

I'd go so far as to bet Cav won't win MSR next year either.

I was under the impression that M-SR was one of his targets? Isn't he riding PR this year as well?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Cavendish says he couldn't have won

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendi ... 0&ns_fee=0
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Remember when Gilbert said after Paris Tours that Pozzato just want to make other riders lose, or words to that effect. Gilbert would likely have won if Pippo hadn't chased and dragged the others with him.

"My good friend [Filippo] Pozzato," said Gilbert, referring to a rider who he's faulted in the past for riding negatively.

"Of course," added Sergeant, "Pozzato is right to race his own race, but its no use if you can't win."

"I had to pull him back," said Pozzato. "I'd already risked it and lost it to Cancellara like that in 2008. I would have liked to save myself for the sprint."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    The last 90mins of the race from 57km out are here:
    http://www.megavideo.com/?v=P162JCP4
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    If anyone has a full race shot of Hushovd please post up. The kit bike combo looks great.

msr11-hushovdpush.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Chainel, Poggio descent crash.

Bettini Photos
    bettiniphoto_0074330_1_full_600.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Come on Scarponi. Lighting up many of this year's races. Flying up the hills.

bettiniphoto_0074282_1_full_600.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    what happened to the worlds strongest man EBH going up the last climb?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Scarponi was only nine seconds slower than Pantani's "record" up the Cipressa. Who is coaching him?
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Kléber wrote:
    Scarponi was only nine seconds slower than Pantani's "record" up the Cipressa. Who is coaching him?
    Perhaps he was afraid someone might call him a "lightweight" :roll:
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Excellent race. Funny how you need well placed crash to make it that way though. Bit like Roubaix...

Either way - massively surprised Goss made it over with the front guys. A very select elite bunch. And he's very young too - these young HTC guys are making Cipollini look like a right fool waiting till he was 30 odd to win it. It looked a particularly selective Poggio.

Scarponi's not normal though is he? Bloody exciting ride mind...
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132

Scarponi's not normal though is he? ...

Well, he certainly appears to have an additional kidney or small spare lung on his back.

bettiniphoto_0074282_1_full_600.jpg
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    It's far to early to write Cav off. Many of us were guilty of that last year and I thought his performances in the first couple of stages of last year's TdF supported that. However, how wrong we were...

My worry is though that where previously Cav was head and shoulders the number 1 sprinter in the team the emergence of Goss means he won't get the support he had last year.

Perhaps it will be good for him and make him a hungrier sprinter if he has to rely on following other wheels and not getting the armchair ride from his team.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • rick_chasey
    It's far to early to write Cav off. Many of us were guilty of that last year and I thought his performances in the first couple of stages of last year's TdF supported that. However, how wrong we were...

My worry is though that where previously Cav was head and shoulders the number 1 sprinter in the team the emergence of Goss means he won't get the support he had last year.

Perhaps it will be good for him and make him a hungrier sprinter if he has to rely on following other wheels and not getting the armchair ride from his team.

He's certainly not gone hungry over the winter....
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466

He's certainly not gone hungry over the winter....

Agreed. As soon as he achieves pie equilibrium though he'll be fine.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    The question is, where does this leave Cavendish? Because in a flat out sprint, there's not a huge amount between them; Goss is far more versatile as well, he's no one trick pony.

Cheers to Goss. Loved it. Looks like the emperor has no clothes without his teammates pulling his fat ars* to the line (also known as a "lead out")

Can't wait to see cav crying and pouting and otherwise behaving badly in order to get HTC management to put the brakes on Goss and Renshaw.

Tour down under

Stage 1
    1. Goss
    2. Greipel
    62. Cav

Stage 3
    2. Greipel
    3. Goss
    130. Cav

Stage 4
    5. Goss
    15 Greipel
    98 Cav

Stage 5
    3. Goss
    27. Greipel
    129. CAv

Stage 6
    3. Goss
    7. Greipel
    120. Cav

Tour of Qatar
    Stage 1
    3. Renshaw
    81 Cav

stage 2
    1. Heinrich Haussler
    12. Cav
    14 Renshaw (Renshaw ight have one if he was not babysitting Cav to the line)

stage 3
    1. Heinrich Haussler
    2. Renshaw
    25 Cav (1.33 behind)

Stage 4
    1. Renshaw
    4. Haussler
    59 Cav (4:44 back)

Tour of Oman
    stage 1
    1. Bos
    2. Cav
    26 Goss s.t. (told to stand down and get Cav to the front otherwise a tantrumwould ensue)

stage 2
    1. Goss
    11. Haussler
    82. Cav (10:32 back)

stage 3
    1. Bos
    3. Goss
    5. Haussler
    9. Cav (fell off Goss's wheel)

stage 6
    1. Cav (threatend to cry and take his bike home unless his lead-out men slowed down)
    23. Goss

Paris Nice
    Stage 1
    3. Haussler
    13. Goss (not tired)
    DNS Cav (tired)

Stage 2.
    2. Goss
    4. Haussler
    DNS Cav

Stage 3.
    1. Goss
    2. Haussler
    DNS Cav

Tireno-Adriatico
    Stage 2
    1. Farrar
    4. Renshaw “the Manxman lost his teammate’s wheel in the finale and Renshaw was left to improvise with a late effort of his own to finish fourth.”
    19. Cav (fell off wheel again)

stage 3.
    2. Farrar
    5. Renshaw
    90. Cav (simply gave up)

Milan San Remo
    1. Goss (allowed to ride his own race)
    52 Cav (simply outclassed)

Could this be the most stupid post ever in the Pro Race section? It takes some doing to win that accolade! You'd have thought after last season people may have learned. Looks like good tactics from HTC as they now have riders capable of winning early season races whilst Cav concentrates on winning stages of the GTs (and possibly the points jerseys). 12 months ago people were also saying how Greipel needed to move from HTC as he could compete with Cav (including Greipel himself) and yet he hasn't exactly set the world alight so far.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    By the way, I guess Cornoyemade is an Aussie?
  • rick_chasey
    Haha, just listening to Wuyts post race

He's still angry that Pozzato not only put in the effort to chase (down) Gilbert, and then didn't work with him in the final couple KMs.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Why worry about Cav, he rides for a USA team and we know what that public only have interest in.
    The Texan has taught us that much by making millions out of them suckers. (well him, Beckham and other lower ranks)

Last year it was his teeth that made him have a bad start to his season but he (they) finally got him his wins for the USA public to be interested.
    Start counting him out after the California jaunt this year but not yet. :wink:

I have an idea that 4 GT stage wins won't be enough for him (them) this year and a possible Worlds chance for the Manxman. (then you will be told he is not English, etc)
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • TMR
    deejay wrote:

When is the ToC?
  • TMR
    deejay wrote:

When is the ToC?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    deejay wrote:

When is the ToC?

In May, but from what i've read Cav will be riding that little race in Italy instead.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    deejay wrote:
    Why worry about Cav, he rides for a USA team and we know what that public only have interest in.

Yes indeed. You never see HTC before the AToC and the TdF. I mean, it's not like they win races for the whole season, every season. :roll:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • deejay
    iainf72 wrote:
    Great race

Like Paris Tours...hmm
    OK, not this year :lol:
    The Nibali attack on the Poggio brought tears to my eyes with Nostalgia and excitement.
    Then that last corner (top of Poggio) and 8 or so riders went round it, I knew we had an MSR special this year. :lol:

A little rain shower in the right place is the only ingredient needed to turn this Monument into it's former Glories. :twisted:

I feel justified in airing my opinion with the responses in this thread now knowing what the Hell is he going on about.
    To make my point I had to throw in the Paris-Tours which has been modified from the days of, "The longest Sprint in the World" as it was known.
    They circle the Town of Tours to collect a few hills and now it is not always a mass sprint to win.
    Anybody got any news of the Tram Lines in there. ???

Next, The Dwars Door Vlaanderen. Steegman anyone.??
  • rick_chasey
    deejay wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Great race

Like Paris Tours...hmm
    OK, not this year :lol:
    The Nibali attack on the Poggio brought tears to my eyes with Nostalgia and excitement.
    Then that last corner (top of Poggio) and 8 or so riders went round it, I knew we had an MSR special this year. :lol:

A little rain shower in the right place is the only ingredient needed to turn this Monument into it's former Glories. :twisted:

I feel justified in airing my opinion with the responses in this thread now knowing what the Hell is he going on about.
    To make my point I had to throw in the Paris-Tours which has been modified from the days of, "The longest Sprint in the World" as it was known.
    They circle the Town of Tours to collect a few hills and now it is not always a mass sprint to win.
    Anybody got any news of the Tram Lines in there. ???

If he rides it, Canc has got to be the man for Dwars.

Remember him turning on the turbos in aid of Breschel last year? Bloody exciting that was.
  • deejay
    deejay wrote:

If he rides it, Canc has got to be the man for Dwars.

Remember him turning on the turbos in aid of Breschel last year? Bloody exciting that was.
    I think there are "Cards" very close to the chest at the moment.

Saturday the Harelbeke E3 which Spartacus won last year with a bit of bike handling thro the inside of the roundabout and his time trial to win with Boonen & Flecha unable to catch him.

Sunday the Gent-Wevelgem

Tuesday the 3 day De Panne

Time for a new thread, perhaps ??
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Pross wrote:
    The question is, where does this leave Cavendish? Because in a flat out sprint, there's not a huge amount between them; Goss is far more versatile as well, he's no one trick pony.

Cheers to Goss. Loved it. Looks like the emperor has no clothes without his teammates pulling his fat ars* to the line (also known as a "lead out")

Can't wait to see cav crying and pouting and otherwise behaving badly in order to get HTC management to put the brakes on Goss and Renshaw.
    )

Could this be the most stupid post ever in the Pro Race section? It takes some doing to win that accolade! You'd have thought after last season people may have learned. Looks like good tactics from HTC as they now have riders capable of winning early season races whilst Cav concentrates on winning stages of the GTs (and possibly the points jerseys). 12 months ago people were also saying how Greipel needed to move from HTC as he could compete with Cav (including Greipel himself) and yet he hasn't exactly set the world alight so far.

Dammit you beat me to it! Exactly what I thought. Goss has targeted the "southern Summer" to win big in his home country and then have a crack at the classics. He ll be knackered by the Northern Summer when Cav will start to stretch his legs again!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver