Matt Goss wins!!
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Hmmm... poor Cav..... :lol:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Guess those Maclaren bikes were good after all, huh? 8)
  • peterst6906
    peterst6906 Posts: 530
    edited March 2011
    Go the Australians. Continuing the great start to the year.

Well done Goss.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    cant help but feel that this years race was a bit "meh" Good for Goss though
    www.dotcycling.com
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Matt Goss... finally famous.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Great racing and no too nasty crashes; good afternoon all round.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Great race
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Quality race! I've never been a huge fan of MSR, but this year's race was very exciting.

We now have a big week of cycling ahead on Eurosport. Highlights of Catalunya in the week, live track cycling, live Criterium Intl next Sunday and highlights of Gent-Wevelgem.

http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/search.shtml?query=cycling
  • One of the betting sites had goss at over 100/1 last night....Why oh why did i decide it wasnt worth it?
  • afx237vi
    squired wrote:
    Quality race! I've never been a huge fan of MSR, but this year's race was very exciting.

+1

Very entertaining race.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    afx237vi wrote:
    Matt Goss... finally famous.

they couldn't drop the boy....

IGMC
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    Stapleton will be pleased - not just the win from Goss but he now has the upper hand in the ongoing Mark Cavendish contract 'negotiations'...
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Ash_ wrote:
    Stapleton will be pleased - not just the win from Goss but he now has the upper hand in the ongoing Mark Cavendish contract 'negotiations'...

I think Cav will be looking for a new team... Surely can't keep both Goss and Cav happy
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    fabian for flanders and pr again then
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    Just when you thought Sidi adverts couldn't get any worse along come Basso and Nibali
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Best edition in years, thanks to the prolonged effort of BMC and Katusha, plus some FDJ guts and determination.
    The first time I've ever seen HTC on the front of the group for just 5 metres! :lol:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • afx237vi
    Best edition in years, thanks to the prolonged effort of BMC and Katusha, plus some FDJ guts and determination.
    The first time I've ever seen HTC on the front of the group for just 5 metres! :lol:

Also the first time I've ever seen Leif Hoste do anything in a race that doesn't have a cobblestone in it.
  • blazing_saddles
    afx237vi wrote:

Also the first time I've ever seen Leif Hoste do anything in a race that doesn't have a cobblestone in it.

Quite right.
    I forgot the most pained expression in the lead bunch.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Really enjoyed that! Much as I like him, I'm glad Gilbert didn't win - he spent much of the last 15km expecting everyone else to take the initiative on his behalf. Would have liked to see Scarponi get a podium place, though.

And despite all the predictions, Garmin got a big, fat, fruity zero for the day's efforts
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • blazing_saddles
    LangerDan wrote:
    Really enjoyed that! Much as I like him, I'm glad Gilbert didn't win - he spent much of the last 15km expecting everyone else to take the initiative on his behalf. Would have liked to see Scarponi get a podium place, though.

And despite all the predictions, Garmin got a big, fat, fruity zero for the day's efforts

Judging by the way Garmin (Sky, too) sat at the back of the chase group and contributed zilch, I would hazard a guess that their race radios were on the blink. :wink: :P :lol:
  • LangerDan
    Judging by the way Garmin (Sky, too) sat at the back of the chase group and contributed zilch, I would hazard a guess that their race radios were on the blink. :wink: :P :lol:

To be fair to Sky, once they were certain that the horse had well and truly bolted, they did go to the front on the Cipressa for a couple of minutes.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    LangerDan wrote:

Haussler was their first finisher in 18th

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/milan- ... is/results
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Unfortunately I couldn't watch it but first thing I do is open up Cnews and see Goss wins..........what a disappointment.

I re-read the live text updates and it sounded great with lots of attacks. Credit to Scarponi, the attitude to attack and the talent to make contact. Nibali, great rider. All the other attackers, class. Sounds like Fabian and Gilbert gave it some.

Surprised that a small group coming into the finish couldn't distance a sprinter, but maybe he is more than that.

Goss rode PN not TA...

Did Goss make any efforts at all? I guess credit is due to him like all the others in the top 20 or so as they were at the front end.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:
    Great race

Like Paris Tours...hmm
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Yeah just watched it and Goss did nothing. When Gilbert went like a bat out of hell, he tried for a few secs, knew he couldn't, dropped, and the power of Pippo followed by Ballan had to bring Gilbert back.

The last 2km or so are pretty annoying. Would be great if Greg got that.

What beasts these guys are racing for 7hrs.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LangerDan
    Its not like Goss had an armchair ride to the finish as has happened with other sprinters - he was able to make a number of ever reducing groups, stayed with them over the Poggio and avoided panicking in the last 2km or so. If the other riders underestimated him and reckoned that he wasn't a threat - that was their problem, not Goss's. GIlbert and Canc in particular seemed to ride as if they believed they were the only two worthy contenders.

I'm not a fan of the "arrive and drive" sprinters like Cav or Cippo, but I reckon Goss made his own luck there.