Milan - San Remo Spoiler

Comments

• Yeah just watched it and Goss did nothing.

Yes he did, he just won Milan San Remo!
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    LangerDan wrote:
    I reckon Goss made his own luck there.

Exactly. He didn't exactly have a lead out train working for him today.

Good race. Much better than the rugby.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I'm pretty sure Goss closed down at least one gap in the run in.
  • great race, but since when has cancellara been able to sprint like that? he was pretty close to goss!
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Jesus. I don't think even Goss himself would claim he was the strongest rider there, but he made the lead group with some clever riding and was comfortably the best sprinter.

If you want to see a race where the strongest rider wins, may I suggest time-trialling might be up your street?
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/garmin- ... n-san-remo

Oops. i guess we all say things we regret later

"The race can develop three or four different ways and we have a different rider most suited to that. It must be a real pain in the ass for the other teams because whatever you do, you're f___d."
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    The question is, where does this leave Cavendish? Because in a flat out sprint, there's not a huge amount between them; Goss is far more versatile as well, he's no one trick pony.
  • TMR
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/garmin-cervelo-has-three-aces-for-milan-san-remo

Oops. i guess we all say things we regret later

"The race can develop three or four different ways and we have a different rider most suited to that. It must be a real pain in the ass for the other teams because whatever you do, you're f___d."

I still can't stand Garmin, in fact I shall always dislike them. I think that's very funny - arrogant tw@ts :twisted:
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    The question is, where does this leave Cavendish? Because in a flat out sprint, there's not a huge amount between them; Goss is far more versatile as well, he's no one trick pony.

neither is cavendish
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • TMR
    gsk82 wrote:
    neither is cavendish

Oh really? I think he is, but I'm happy to be corrected. I'm a huge fan of Mark as well, so I'm not being intentionally unkind.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    Great ride by Goss, he played some very talented and tactically astute riders to perfection.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Yeah just watched it and Goss did nothing. When Gilbert went like a bat out of hell, he tried for a few secs, knew he couldn't, dropped, and the power of Pippo followed by Ballan had to bring Gilbert back.

The last 2km or so are pretty annoying. Would be great if Greg got that.

What beasts these guys are racing for 7hrs.

So he 'did nothing' except raced for 7 hours, got to the front group and won which is what counts. Sounds like he did a lot considering the company he was in
    M.Rushton
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Disappointed for Cav, natch, but what a terrific race. I was sooo hoping that Van Avermaet could hold on, even although I knew he was likely to be caught.

Goss is some kid.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810

They had Haussler in the front group - he just got dropped on the Poggia we don't know why, but it wasn't a situation that Garmin should've been chasing that group down, he should've been able to be in that front group, and if he had been Goss wouldn't've had quite such an easy time. Garmin had a terrible result considering their team, but I don't think they made any tactical mistakes.

The big thing Goss did in the run in that hasn't been mentioned is get instantly on Cancellara's wheel when he put in his attack, that probably was essential as otherwise he might've stayed away given half a yard.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • TMR
    great race, but since when has cancellara been able to sprint like that? he was pretty close to goss!

I just watched it on YT - thought exactly the same thing! :D

He's f'ing rapid - why doesn't he do that more often?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    BMC really fluffed that - not sure why Van Avermaet went for it so far out, but if he'd played his cards a bit more canny and let Ballan do all the attacking so he'd get an armchair ride to the finish, he'd have surely had a better chance against Goss than any of the others in the front group.
  • cornoyemade
    cornoyemade Posts: 180

Cheers to Goss. Loved it. Looks like the emperor has no clothes without his teammates pulling his fat arse to the line (also known as a "lead out")

Can't wait to see cav crying and pouting and otherwise behaving badly in order to get HTC management to put the brakes on Goss and Renshaw.

Tour down under

Stage 1
    1. Goss
    2. Greipel
    62. Cav

Stage 3
    2. Greipel
    3. Goss
    130. Cav

Stage 4
    5. Goss
    15 Greipel
    98 Cav

Stage 5
    3. Goss
    27. Greipel
    129. CAv

Stage 6
    3. Goss
    7. Greipel
    120. Cav

Tour of Qatar
    Stage 1
    3. Renshaw
    81 Cav

stage 2
    1. Heinrich Haussler
    12. Cav
    14 Renshaw (Renshaw ight have one if he was not babysitting Cav to the line)

stage 3
    1. Heinrich Haussler
    2. Renshaw
    25 Cav (1.33 behind)

Stage 4
    1. Renshaw
    4. Haussler
    59 Cav (4:44 back)

Tour of Oman
    stage 1
    1. Bos
    2. Cav
    26 Goss s.t. (told to stand down and get Cav to the front otherwise a tantrumwould ensue)

stage 2
    1. Goss
    11. Haussler
    82. Cav (10:32 back)

stage 3
    1. Bos
    3. Goss
    5. Haussler
    9. Cav (fell off Goss's wheel)

stage 6
    1. Cav (threatend to cry and take his bike home unless his lead-out men slowed down)
    23. Goss

Paris Nice
    Stage 1
    3. Haussler
    13. Goss (not tired)
    DNS Cav (tired)

Stage 2.
    2. Goss
    4. Haussler
    DNS Cav

Stage 3.
    1. Goss
    2. Haussler
    DNS Cav

Tireno-Adriatico
    Stage 2
    1. Farrar
    4. Renshaw “the Manxman lost his teammate’s wheel in the finale and Renshaw was left to improvise with a late effort of his own to finish fourth.”
    19. Cav (fell off wheel again)

stage 3.
    2. Farrar
    5. Renshaw
    90. Cav (simply gave up)

Milan San Remo
    1. Goss (allowed to ride his own race)
    52 Cav (simply outclassed)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Cheers to Goss. Loved it. Looks like the emperor has no clothes without his teammates pulling his fat ars* to the line (also known as a "lead out")

Can't wait to see cav crying and pouting and otherwise behaving badly in order to get HTC management to put the brakes on Goss and Renshaw.

Yeah, lots of people said the same thing last year too. :roll:
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TMR
    RichN95 wrote:

I'm not going to write him off, but he's had a pretty awful start to the season hasn't he? He needs to pull his finger out or risk being marginalised.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    RichN95 wrote:
    Cheers to Goss. Loved it. Looks like the emperor has no clothes without his teammates pulling his fat ars* to the line (also known as a "lead out")

i am not sure the poster was born last year......
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    Great ride by Goss, the nature of the race changed once the majority of sprinters were distanced in a group after crash on manie descent.
    With the front group containing few sprinters and many non sprinter favourites with most teams represented there was no organised chase and Garmin and Htc didnt chase for obvious reasons.
    Goss is undoubtably a strong man as well as a sprinter he did extremely well to stay in there where I suggest Cav wouldn't have.

Cav has shown the last couple of seasons if he is not on top form he really struggles, i think its too early to write him off though
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    Fantastic race, edge of the seat stuff. Shame about the abysmal TV pictures, had to rely on the long range heli shots in the closing kms as the close m/c stuff broke up all the time, found that somewhat annoying together with the lack of good times for the different groups.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • 16simon
    16simon Posts: 154
    great race, but since when has cancellara been able to sprint like that? he was pretty close to goss!

Cancellara looked strong, but he needs to sharpen up: he didn't jump on Scarponi's wheel when he came past ashe opened up his sprint, whereas Goss got behind Gilbert as he followed Scarponi and had a perfect leadout. Cancellara was actually on Goss's wheel for a moment, but it seemed like he couldn't hold it and that's where he lost quite a bit of ground.
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    I don't see why HTC couldn't in an ideal world keep Goss & Cav, they can both win different types of races, I think Goss will develop into a different rider than Cav is. Surely he's more of a Hushovd style rider than a pure sprinter?

Anyway isn't Goss highly likely to go to the new Aussie team, Green Edge for 2012?

Great race, really enjoyed it.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    I'm not going to write him off, but he's had a pretty awful start to the season hasn't he? He needs to pull his finger out or risk being marginalised.

Cav's targets this year are in July and September. Holding form for 6 months is pretty much impossible. Don't write off his season half way through March.

I'd go so far as to bet Cav won't win MSR next year either.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

Cav's targets this year are in July and September. Holding form for 6 months is pretty much impossible. Don't write off his season half way through March.

I'd go so far as to bet Cav won't win MSR next year either.

After last year I wouldn't even right it off half way through the TDF
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    Incredible race. Rivetting from 84k to go right until the finish.

what are the thoughts on Scarponi, has he really changed his ways? I've really enjoyed watching him last year and this but I'm just not sure about him.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    dave milne wrote:
    Incredible race. Rivetting from 84k to go right until the finish.

what are the thoughts on Scarponi, has he really changed his ways?.

Don't know but I refer milud to the Sikzewitz thread

Strava is not Zen.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    some race results
    Could you do some grand tour stages from the last 3 years please?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Neil McC wrote:
    Anyway isn't Goss highly likely to go to the new Aussie team, Green Edge for 2012?

He's certainly the name that's been most strongly linked. However, for me, the word Pegasus looms over the project at the moment.

Goss's market value has also just doubled, so who knows what that will mean.
    Twitter: @RichN95