Midsomer Racist?

1235»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,196
    Plus many people will act very PC in front of certain people (or on an internet forum) but among close friends behave completely differently. It is either hypocrisy or they realise that their friends realise that they are not being serious and with everyone else they are trying to ensure they don't cause offence.
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Out of interest have any of you actually listened to the interview with mr May, becasue he does actually say

"we are a cosmopolitan society in this country but if you watched midsomer you wouldn't think so"

He also suggests that the creative decisions for midsomer are largely driven by market forces and a need to appeal to foreign markets with quaint stereotypical perceptions of englishnss.

He willingly acknowledges the shows cultural shortcomings.

Hardly racist.

And if you want to see real prejudice on the box just take a look at disabled representation. The Beeb especially must think the deaf community are a bunch of night owls. ah well. such is life.

I must confess that I haven't seen/heard the interview, just the hoo-haa. No matter the reason though, I just don't like the idea that a non-white actor would have no chance of getting a job on that show.

The Beeb pretty much pioneered and pushed through the 888 teletext subtitling service and getting teletext as standard on British TVs. In Yankland the best you would get is Closed Caption, but that is a seperate box you would have to buy. No idea about the rest of the world's provision for deaf viewers.

I can't argue with you about the Sign Zone being on really late though.
    Better late than never?...

Yankland?

Double Standards?

"Outside the United States, "Yankee" or "Yank" is slang for anyone from the United States. It is especially popular among Britons, and may sometimes be considered offensive or disapproving,[3] though it is by no means universally used pejoratively.[citation needed]"

(From wikipedia)
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Anyway, there's this Englishman, Scotsman and an Irishman. :wink:

The Welsh excluded yet again. Racist.

We're not excluding them. We merely think they would get a bigger laugh in a joke of their own.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    RichN95 wrote:
    Anyway, there's this Englishman, Scotsman and an Irishman. :wink:

The Welsh excluded yet again. Racist.

We're not excluding them. We merely think they would get a bigger laugh in a joke of their own.
    Haha.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    edited March 2011
    davelakers wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Out of interest have any of you actually listened to the interview with mr May, becasue he does actually say

"we are a cosmopolitan society in this country but if you watched midsomer you wouldn't think so"

He also suggests that the creative decisions for midsomer are largely driven by market forces and a need to appeal to foreign markets with quaint stereotypical perceptions of englishnss.

Hardly racist.

And if you want to see real prejudice on the box just take a look at disabled representation. The Beeb especially must think the deaf community are a bunch of night owls. ah well. such is life.

I must confess that I haven't seen/heard the interview, just the hoo-haa. No matter the reason though, I just don't like the idea that a non-white actor would have no chance of getting a job on that show.

The Beeb pretty much pioneered and pushed through the 888 teletext subtitling service and getting teletext as standard on British TVs. In Yankland the best you would get is Closed Caption, but that is a seperate box you would have to buy. No idea about the rest of the world's provision for deaf viewers.

Yankland?

Double Standards?

"Outside the United States, "Yankee" or "Yank" is slang for anyone from the United States. It is especially popular among Britons, and may sometimes be considered offensive or disapproving,[3] though it is by no means universally used pejoratively.[citation needed]"

(From wikipedia)

No double standards here. I wouldn't complain if a Septic (Septic Tank - Yank) called me a Limey.
    You've just killed your own argument with the bit in bold.
    edit: The bit I wanted in bold didn't work for some reason.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    davelakers wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Hardly racist.

Yankland?

Double Standards?

"Outside the United States, "Yankee" or "Yank" is slang for anyone from the United States. It is especially popular among Britons, and may sometimes be considered offensive or disapproving,[3] [b[though it is by no means universally used pejoratively[/b].[citation needed]"

(From wikipedia)

No double standards here. I wouldn't complain if a Septic (Septic Tank - Yank) called me a Limey.
    Why?

Where do you draw the line at what some people might find offensive?

Yank? Limey? Pommie? paki?

Whats the difference? People might be offended by any of the above.
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    I do think that being PC is complete tosh though.

Yep. The Mac is better.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    davelakers wrote:
    Why?

Whats the difference?

Historical context.

It makes ALL the difference.

I don't see a history of full and total racial discrimination against Americans in the same way as Pakistanis.

I don't hear of racially motivated attacks on Americans in the UK - I do of Pakistanis.
  • EKE_38BPM
    davelakers wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    davelakers wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Hardly racist.

Yankland?

Double Standards?

(From wikipedia)

Why?

Whats the difference? People might be offended by any of the above.

See my edit above.
    Some people go out of their way to be offended. "How dare you call me tall/short?" etc
    Political correctness can go too far and what is deemed correct changes over time. e.g.and can go full circle.

Using America as an example:
    Negro ->Coloured -> Black -> African American -> Person of African decent -> Person of colour.
    Its got people walking on eggshells so much that I have heard Americans describe Africans (e.g. a Nigerian) African American as they are so scared to cause offence.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see what is wrong with using Paki as an abreviation of Pakistani, in the same way that Afghan is an abbreviation of Afghanistani or Kurd for Kurdistani.
    Its not what you say, but the way that you say it.

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Aye thenk yew. It's what we - I - have been trying to say all along. Mr True-May let slip that this imaginary world works just fine for pretty much everybody thanks; the audience, ITV, the foreign broadcasters who buy it, foreign audiences who lap it up in their droves. He was a bit clumsy about how he defended it, that's all.

Move along now. Nothing more to see...
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    davelakers wrote:
    Why?

Whats the difference?

Historical context.

I don't see a history of full and total racial discrimination against Americans in the same way as Pakistanis.

I don't hear of racially motivated attacks on Americans in the UK - I do of Pakistanis.

Just shows how mis-interpretations can occur. "I don't see a history of full and total racial discrimination against Americans n the same way as Pakistanis."

I dont believe for one second you're racist but can you see how that sentence can be read as American = white. Rodney King was american, malcolm x was from yank land, the mighty ML King a non pommie.

Takes all sorts to make a world, lets just enjoy it all together.....yeah go on even the welsh.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see what is wrong with using Paki as an abreviation of Pakistani, in the same way that Afghan is an abbreviation of Afghanistani or Kurd for Kurdistani.

You're wrong because it has traditionally been used as a term of abuse; you know that, i know that so if you choose to use it, no matter 'how' you say it, you shouldnt be surprised if it doesnt go down well and people make a judgement about you.
  • rick_chasey
    davelakers wrote:
    Why?

Whats the difference?

Historical context.

Just shows how mis-interpretations can occur. "I don't see a history of full and total racial discrimination against Americans n the same way as Pakistanis."

I dont believe for one second you're racist but can you see how that sentence can be read as American = white. Rodney King was american, malcolm x was from yank land, the mighty ML King a non pommie.

Takes all sorts to make a world, lets just enjoy it all together.....yeah go on even the welsh.
    Sure. But if Malcom X was attacked in the UK, it wouldn't be because he's a 'yank', it'd be because he was black... So my argument regarding the language still stands.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Sure. But if Malcom X was attacked in the UK, it wouldn't be because he's a 'yank', it'd be because he was black... So my argument regarding the language still stands.

No, it would be because we was a racist twit. Probably would get in anyway.
  • rick_chasey
    guinea wrote:

No, it would be because we was a racist twit. Probably would get in anyway.

Possibly. But people saying that 'paki' should be considered in the same way as 'yank' are missing the point.

The point is that you can't take language and collective ideas out of their context, both socially and historically.
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:

Wasn't that a hit for Bananarama??? :lol:
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Bananarama and Fun Boy Three if I remember correctly. No racism there though, blacks and whites singing together.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Garry H wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Bananarama and Fun Boy Three if I remember correctly. No racism there though, blacks and whites singing together.

Showing my age here, but that was "Its not what you do, but the way that you do it."

Or as a mate used to say: ""Its not who you do, but the way that you do her."

Back OT, the only time I use the word Paki, is in relation to sweet shops and then as a term of respect as many of the equivalent shops run by the newer immigrants don't seem to meet the grade in terms of customer service and hygiene, and I've only ever said it out loud once (but I've thought it many times).
    e.g. I don't go into that Turkish shop, the Paki shop is cleaner.

I will admit I am wrong though, given the historical connotations of racism.

• EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Showing my age here, but that was "Its not what you do, but the way that you do it."

Or as a mate used to say: ""Its not who you do, but the way that you do her."

Actually, if we're going to be pedantic, the title was "It ain't what you do it's the way that you do it". I was just trying to be a little light-hearted. Foolish of me.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Aggieboy is right, it is all a bit serious in here these days.
    I'm going back to Commuter Chat where the leading topic is about shagging the receptionist, what bike tyre names would also work for condoms and shagging with the lights on!