useless information thread

Comments

• rjsterry wrote:
    Do the loops lie either side or top and bottom the first is a reef bow, and the latter a granny bow? The former, aside from looking better on a smart pair of shoes is less likely to come undone.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/slipping.htm

OMG - all my life I have been tying my shoe laces incorrectly. This is a revelation. I should remind you that this is supposed to be the useless information thread. You sir, should be banned for posting really useful information :shock: .
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ive just written on my hand with what i thought was a non permanat pen, turns out its permamant......
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • I used to be dyslexic but I'm KO now.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    rjsterry wrote:
    Do the loops lie either side or top and bottom the first is a reef bow, and the latter a granny bow? The former, aside from looking better on a smart pair of shoes is less likely to come undone.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/slipping.htm

OMG - all my life I have been tying my shoe laces incorrectly. This is a revelation. I should remind you that this is supposed to be the useless information thread. You sir, should be banned for posting really useful information :shock: .

Hang on! Your username is WALKINGBOOTweather but you've been tying your laces wrong?

Also, the little bit on the end of a shoe lace to stop it fraying is called an aglet.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I can lick my elbow.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • davis wrote:
    I can lick my elbow.

Prosthetic limb?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Greg66 wrote:
    davis wrote:
    I can lick my elbow.

Prosthetic limb?

Are you buying or selling?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I just threw my empty Smarties packet across the office. It bounced off the blind and landed in the bin 8)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    'Point blank' in shooting terms does not mean really close.

Point blank actually refers to a range of distances where holding the weapon's sight directly on the target would score a hit. It depends on weapon, target size, sight configuration and zero range, and other variables. A modern rifle against a deer size target kill zone might have a maximum point blank range of 200 yards, and a minimum of say 50 yards. In this example for a target under 50 yards away you'd have to aim low to hit it, over 200 yards you'd have to aim high.

So, if you ever read a combat report where the shooter notes that he closed in to point blank range, the shooter is merely referring to being within range not to have to make any extra hold-over or hold-under allowance for distance.

Other than highlighting to all the readers of this post the poor level of journalistic reporting in this country, completely useless info.
    "Coming through..."
  • TuckerUK wrote:

Point blank actually refers to a range of distances where holding the weapon's sight directly on the target would score a hit. It depends on weapon, target size, sight configuration and zero range, and other variables. A modern rifle against a deer size target kill zone might have a maximum point blank range of 200 yards, and a minimum of say 50 yards. In this example for a target under 50 yards away you'd have to aim low to hit it, over 200 yards you'd have to aim high.

So, if you ever read a combat report where the shooter notes that he closed in to point blank range, the shooter is merely referring to being within range not to have to make any extra hold-over or hold-under allowance for distance.

Other than highlighting to all the readers of this post the poor level of journalistic reporting in this country, completely useless info.

The idea of being ''on the back foot'' is similar. In everyday language it means on the defensive but on the cricket pitch, which is where the saying comes from, the back foot shots are amongst the most attacking shots, typically hooking, pulling, cutting and back foot forcing strokes.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    TuckerUK wrote:

I've always wanted to know what point blank really means.
    From the bottom of my geeky heart, thank you.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I've always wanted to buy the domain

www.nunsanddonkeys.com

That one's still for sale too.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    When you reach 10,000 posts you're allowed to ban one user :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mudcow007
    i have itchy teeth
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    itboffin wrote:

Oooooooh really?

I wield such power...
  • EKE_38BPM
    itboffin wrote:

Oooooooh really?

I wield such power...

I wonder who it would/will be?

• EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I think The Defamation of Strickland Banks by Plan B is a good (and VERY clever) album.

I would agree, although I have mainly been humming grouplove today
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I think The Defamation of Strickland Banks by Plan B is a good (and VERY clever) album.

I'd disagree, I was rather disappointed but do recognise the clever.

Anyway onto the useless info.

Tomorrow is St Patricks Day and my wifes birthday.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I'd disagree, I was rather disappointed but do recognise the clever.

Anyway onto the useless info.

Tomorrow is St Patricks Day and my wifes birthday.

Only a good album, not very good or even great. I like the fact that to get the most out of it you need to listen to the whole album, not just a track here and a track there. In that respect it is similar to one of the great albums, Whats Going On? by Marvin Gaye.

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Dead by Buckcherry is the best 79p I've spent this week. Caught it on Scuzz when channel-hopping the other night.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Draught Guiness from a can is not as nice as proper Draught Guiness in a pub.

But it's better than no Guiness at all.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    My savings in diesel against the money spent on cycling bits & additonal food this year divided by the number of commutes so far makes my average saving per commute on the bike = 55p. Worth every penny.
  • mudcow007
    my cousin has grown boobs (he is a male)

bahahahaha gods honest truth aswell!
  • called "Morning DHope" this morning and he saw me today...we even enjoyed a bit of our commute together. always a pleasure to share the road and have a chat, cheers :)
  • bdave262000
    bdave262000 Posts: 270
    I'm exactly 1 year older than I was this time last year.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I've forgotten how to index ShimaNO gears :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Alicia Keys was in The Cosby Show as a kid.
    Mos Def was in The Cosby Mysteries.
    Mos Def was the coffee shop customer who was the target of Alicia Keys' affection in the video of Alicia Keys' "You Don't Know My Name".

I think Alicia Keys is well fit.
    Mos Def is one of my favourite rappers.

Lots of useless info there!

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The number of staff I manage has increased to 3.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

Whereas the number who ignore you and poke fun at you behind your back has decreased by three?

Progress indeed... :D
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You now 'look after' the receptionist as well?