Your best ever TT...

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I did a PB on J2/1 tonight of 23:58.

Just my normal bike except for some aero bars on this time, really don't know if they make any difference with my current position as on the hoods I felt I was going as fast (did not have a speedo on)

Gonna do J2/1 again on Wednesday see if I can knock my time down anymore.
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    @freehub - do you have a website link where i can see these results?

not doubting your result just interested in TT times :)
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • freehub
    http://www.stockport-clarion.org.uk/Tim ... 011-tt.htm

I'm number 3 (WIll Thompson) They missed Manchester Wheelers off for some reason.

I'd show you the Garmin log but I don't use the Garmin much anymore.
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    great thanks :D
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Just went out and banged in a 22:47 in an open tonight, coming from a 24:09 PB, I'd say I am pretty happy.

If I can top it off with a sub hour 25 on Saturday, I'll be a happy boy 8)
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    danowat wrote:
    Just went out and banged in a 22:47 in an open tonight, coming from a 24:09 PB, I'd say I am pretty happy.

If I can top it off with a sub hour 25 on Saturday, I'll be a happy boy 8)

Your flying atm Dan, can't seem to get any time off work to come and do some TT's. Unless I get lucky it looks like I'll fail to beat my Pb this year :cry:
  • danowat
    Thats a real shame, although, TBH, you aren't missed any great conditions, last night was as close to float as I've seen all season, and apparently it was around 30secs down on the district champs that was on the same course at the end of May.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/92994171

8)
  • freehub
    Back at home, and since I can't do the TT's I'd usually do yet as not a member yet I decided to go do the course they are doing on Thursday myself, 13 miles, they had it at 13.5 and now 14 but from start marker to end marker I have it as only slightly over 13.

The last time I did it I got 37:15 officially, this time I got 35:13 which I am very pleased with considering a heavier bike and no number on my back.

It's a relatively hilly course with a 17%er in and a few drags ~10% but a fun course.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/93786633

No aero bars this time.
  • freehub
    Official TT tonight:

http://discussion.cliftoncc.org/viewtopic.php?t=3714

Hilly 13 miler. 34:48 joint first.

Felt slower than Monday, just need a day where I actually feel good and like yeah I think I'll do a good time and I might shave 30 or more seconds off that.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Well done!
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    edited June 2011
    Had a few really good TTs this year.

Gold Medal in Paracycling World Cup in Sydney, Silver medal in World Cup in Spain 2 weeks ago (missed gold by 0.4 of a second).

And did a PB of 22:42 for a 10 last weekend. While riding on a flat tyre@! :oops:
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    Only my fourth 10 last night and I've got my PB down to 26:03
    Over 50 seconds faster than last time, I've obviously not been trying hard enough!
    Suppose I'll have to start buying silly hats, suits and wheels now...
  • Fixed Wheelnut
    Fixed Wheelnut Posts: 2,267
    I count the roadkill as a way of distracting myself from the pain, and the torture of looking up ahead to miles of D/C until the finish. One particular event, there were several badgers, rabbits etc and suddenly it was all over 22 minutes and 41s later. I should write a book.

I passed the time on last years KCA 12hr counting how many times Sbezza came past me :D

Which he modestly hasn't told you he won setting a new Kent & Course record :D

My tuppence worth is find your local evening 10TT and have a go, don't be put off by your first few times, as you learn the course and how to pace yourself [read suffer more] your times will come down.
  • freehub
    I did the Elmet CRC 10 tonight from Tadcaster to Sherburn, I did a personal best for 10 mile for me of 23:41.

Whilst doing the TT I was not happy, I felt slow and I am left wondering if I'd have gone faster if I actually warmed up, I did cycle the 10 or so miles out, but then I was standing for around 30 mins in the cold and as I set up my legs felt really stuff. Can't really grumble too much as it was a PB, I've got a 13 mile rolling on Saturday and might see about a 10 tomoz.
  • danowat
    New 10 mile PB, 22:36, coming off the back of my first 50 mile TT on Sunday (2:04).

Felt really good and strong, a 21 isn't too far away now, maybe not this year, but its certainly a target for next.

8)
  • freehub
    What was the course like? Do you think the 50 mile helped you go faster for a 10 as in sort of make it feel easier cause it's 5 times shorter?
  • Surfr
    Surfr Posts: 243
    Favourable conditions last night lead to me taking another 45 seconds out of my PB for a solid 24:34 on our club sporting course.

Thought I'd gone out a bit too strong in the first couple of minutes but I managed to maintain the pace. Riders reported a tail wind on the out ward leg and headwind after the turn but strangely I took 30 seconds out of my time on the return leg.

Felt great. Just in the zone, wind whistling through my helmet, gaze fixed ahead, wheels were making a WHUUMWHUMM sound despite being Aksium clinchers and not carbon disc/deep section. I'm still buzzing this morning from the result.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/95729387 Lap 1 contains the actual 10.
  • danowat
    It was a pretty quick, pretty flat, DC course, B10/3, slight headwind out, not a great deal of tailwind assistance on the way back > http://connect.garmin.com/activity/95735183

I don't think the 50 "helped" as such, TBH, my legs were still a little stiff from it, as for the distance feeling less, not really, as you do a 10 (or I do) at a higher intensity than a 50.
  • freehub wrote:
    I did the Elmet CRC 10 tonight from Tadcaster to Sherburn, I did a personal best for 10 mile for me of 23:41.

If that was the V318 I would get on to the V718 and you'll take two minutes off that easily. The V318 is not quick by any standards.
  • freehub
    Yea, planning on doing that on 21st August (slowest 120 event) if my parents can give me a lift.

I need to get some longer TT's in too, I'm planning on doing 2x 20 mile a week, do a 20 mile loop at TT pace, because I'm blowing up after 15 miles. I did 2x 7.5 mile loop round my area yesterday, and only averaged 22.5 then had to stop :\
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    If you're blowing up you're going off too fast.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • freehub
    a_n_t wrote:

I blew up at 15 miles.
  • danowat
    freehub wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:

I blew up at 15 miles.

The point is, with proper pacing, you should never "blow up"
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    everyone blows up every now and then. proper pacing is really hard to get right.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    peejay78 wrote:
    everyone blows up every now and then. proper pacing is really hard to get right.

True, but if you're blowing up 15 miles into a 25 mile TT, you don't know f-all about pacing. 22 miles in or so - and then you've slightly misjudged it (as most of us tend to do).
  • peejay78
    yes, clearly, it's a bit of an error, but an obvious one that is really easy to correct on that scale. you tend to work out pretty quickly that going off at 95% tends to cause problems before too long.

i guess my point was that the finer points of pacing, especially knowing just how much you can put out and still make it home and not hemorrhage minutes at the end, how much to give on hillier sections, and so on, are pretty tough when you're looking for a really quick time. the line between success and failure is pretty thin.
  • peejay78
    got my pacing right this morning, divided a 25 up into thirds, was initially aiming for 18 minute sections, but realised it was going better than that, so kept in the 53:11 as much as possible:

1. 17.32.30
    2. 17.39.57
    3. 17.28.62

53.57 for 25.49 miles. new PB. course was slightly overdistance due to moving of start/finish.
  • freehub
    I did a 13 mile TT today.

Came 9th out of 41, with a time of 32:25, was some tough drags in it but I ended up taking it far too easy at the end as when I looked at the course profile on Bikehike, it appeared there was 2 hills, when in fact, there was only one really toughy so I was expecting this other one and then I seen the damn finish board!!!.

Oh well, at least I know I can do better next time and still came out with a respectable time, someone was catching me up but I managed to hold them off the last couple of miles.

Legs feel fresh so rather than ride tomoz it's training.
  • peejay78
    good effort. specific hilly courses are definitely more straightforward once you've done them before.
  • freehub
    peejay78 wrote:
    good effort. specific hilly courses are definitely more straightforward once you've done them before.

Indeed, I'd hope if I knew the course I'd have shaved over 30 seconds cause I'd know when the batter it and when I need to keep abit in reserve. I was just expecting this big hill and it never came apart from one tough drag :lol: