Your best ever TT...

Comments

• SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    I count the roadkill as a way of distracting myself from the pain, and the torture of looking up ahead to miles of D/C until the finish. One particular event, there were several badgers, rabbits etc and suddenly it was all over 22 minutes and 41s later. I should write a book.

Lots of badgers and bunnies at Newport are there track boy? He he. Which course was your 22 Steve? I'm still to get a 10 since training. My advice' pace yourself. Work out your breaking point and just go hell for leather without blowing up. If you don't have a sore throat from breathing and a face covered in snot you haven' worked hard enough.

R10/17 last June. Could only manage a 23:30 odd on that and the 10/22 subsequently. Managed a 23:24 same course last Thursday after the bike fit. so hopefully back on the curve.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Got a new PB for myself today of 25:09 on the Manchester Wheelers 10 course, out of I think 13 or so who turned up I was 3rd time wise with the quickest of the night being 24:32 I think, 2 people pulled and one of them I'm certain would have being 1st.

Maybe I could have pushed harder because I had loads of power left on the way back home and I rode back with 2 wheelers and we was proper battering it up some little drags all good training though, going to do westmeed 10 next Wednesday and Wednesday suits me better than a Thursday as it gives me abit more time to recovery for weekends.

I'm certain I'll be able to pull off that 9 seconds and more, need to adjust my bike abit, lower bars as low as they will go and get a stem that also tilts down more and I should be sorted, maybe a comfier saddle and adjustments to left shoe so I counter for length difference.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Will

If you are fit enough you should be able to recover from a 10 by the following day, especially you as you do long fastish rides, your fitness should be pretty good.

Well done on your PB though.

Don't be fooled into going as low as possible, as I have said before it is a compromise between being able to put the power out, and being as aero as possible. But putting your bars down as low as they can go, might mean you are more aero, but you might also lose loads of power in the process, and you end up going slower as a result.

Get an adjustable stem, that way you can try different stem drops with very little outlay, and it is quick and easy to change back. Change one thing at a time.
  • freehub
    Well on the day of a TT it's around 55 miles for me as I cycle out and I came back with a couple other guys and we battered it.

I'll see about the adjustable stem. I think my next TT I might just do it on the drops because I think these aero bars and my current position make no difference compared to on the drops.

I've lowered my bars around 1cm assuming each of the spacers are 5mm and I took 2 out, the difference seems minimal, might be slightly ore comfortable.
  • Tri-Taffia
    Tri-Taffia Posts: 8
    Plan every mile.
    Know what your doing at each point and stick to the plan. Works from 10 mile to 12 hour.

You can not get back lost time later in the race, so keep it or gain it early on in the race.

Know the course and how the wind affects the course when blowing in any direction.

PLF is in my humble opinion a load of balls for a tip. Your just trashing yourself.

I say this as some stoping from a 30 minute 10 to a 22.00 and still more to go. I say this as someone that gained over 60 places in a year on the National BAR.
  • freehub
    What is PLF?
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • freehub
    I never bothered with my aero bars, did the Macclesfield Wheelers 10, don't know what disadvantage my flappy arm warmers were I had to keep pulling em up and my shoe straps flapping all over the place, but I got an alright 24:53.

Next time I do the course I'll put me aero bars off and make sure I don't do things that cost me 20 seconds, cause a guy over took me (10) and I was 9, and he flew past me, but on the drags I was catching him up, so I held back abit as I thought if I catch up I'll only end up slowly overtaking him so then it'd be abit odd.

To me the course felt harder than the Manchester Wheelers course, I'm not use to the rolling terrain like that and I probably burnt myself out on the drags pushing too hard then not pushing hard enough on the downhill/flat so maybe if I do that and use aero bars I can knock a minute off eventually then maybe another minute or more when/if I eventually get a TT bike.
  • SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    freehub wrote:
    I so I held back abit as I thought if I catch up I'll only end up slowly overtaking him so then it'd be abit odd.

Racing is as much about an attitude, and that includes training. This is not the way to do it! Ignore any other rider, you need to learn to ride at your optimum pace, and optimising your position, don't underestimate bike comfort - if your rhythm is constantly disrupted then you will be losing speed.
  • freehub
    I just thought I might have pissed em off or got done for drafting or something.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    freehub wrote:
    I never bothered with my aero bars, did the Macclesfield Wheelers 10, don't know what disadvantage my flappy arm warmers were I had to keep pulling em up and my shoe straps flapping all over the place, but I got an alright 24:53.

Next time I do the course I'll put me aero bars off and make sure I don't do things that cost me 20 seconds, cause a guy over took me (10) and I was 9, and he flew past me, but on the drags I was catching him up, so I held back abit as I thought if I catch up I'll only end up slowly overtaking him so then it'd be abit odd.

To me the course felt harder than the Manchester Wheelers course, I'm not use to the rolling terrain like that and I probably burnt myself out on the drags pushing too hard then not pushing hard enough on the downhill/flat so maybe if I do that and use aero bars I can knock a minute off eventually then maybe another minute or more when/if I eventually get a TT bike.

You did very well WIll. I told you if you got under 25 on a road bike it would be impressive.

Come back and do it again any time! Bhima has been riding it weekly until this week, but he's doing around 23 mins.
  • freehub
    Pokerface wrote:
    freehub wrote:

You did very well WIll. I told you if you got under 25 on a road bike it would be impressive.

Come back and do it again any time! Bhima has been riding it weekly until this week, but he's doing around 23 mins.

Thanks, I might do it again next week although it's Manchester Wheelers TT and since I need to ride out it's 55 miles in total for the day to/from and including TT.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    freehub wrote:

Thanks, I might do it again next week although it's Manchester Wheelers TT and since I need to ride out it's 55 miles in total for the day to/from and including TT.

Just plan your ride so you arrive closer to start time and then you'll have your warm-up sorted!
  • masterchef
    masterchef Posts: 202
    i rode a 24:00 a few weeks ago lol thats my pb, only been at the cycling game for 11 months now!! last night i got a 24:22 imn much harder conditions,. so ino im getting stronger! lol
    best bike: raleigh avanti U6 carbon comp
    10m tt pb:23:42.
    25m tt pb: 1h 2min( only done 2)
  • freehub
    How on earth can you predict 23:24 for the next season?
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    23 TO 24 I imagine.
  • masterchef
    masterchef Posts: 202
    srry been a while since i been on forums i have yet to update my sig and i cba doing it today as im ill with the lurgie :(((
    best bike: raleigh avanti U6 carbon comp
    10m tt pb:23:42.
    25m tt pb: 1h 2min( only done 2)
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    I found out yesterday that on my best ever TT my ave cadence for 25 miles was 101
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    freehub wrote:
    Good going! Take your arm warmers off next time and get some cheap shoe covers.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Did my first ever 10 mile TT at the weekend - Sheffrec open 10. Very windy conditions, but I'm fairly happy with my 24:48 on a bog standard road bike. Averaged 321W, but paced it rather badly - 334W for the first half, 307W for second half.

Anyone like to speculate as to how much quicker I could have been on a TT bike with that power output?
    More problems but still living....
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    My first visit to the V718 at Hull on Saturday. Not ideal conditions with a blustery SW wind but banged out a 22:06 for 2nd place.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    amaferanga wrote:
    Did my first ever 10 mile TT at the weekend - Sheffrec open 10. Very windy conditions, but I'm fairly happy with my 24:48 on a bog standard road bike. Averaged 321W, but paced it rather badly - 334W for the first half, 307W for second half.

Anyone like to speculate as to how much quicker I could have been on a TT bike with that power output?
    1-2min, maybe more, depending on how well you're set up.

My best on my road bike on the club 10 course was 23'20 (first ever 10, was pretty fit at the time). I've since got that down to 21'12 on my TT bike, and am pretty confident there's a sub 21 min ride there if I put my mind to it.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • v.e.e
    v.e.e Posts: 46
    My best TT was my first. The junior section of the club turned up and I was so terrified of being passed by a child that I applied the aforementioned PLF technique. Have done five more TT's since and despite a) training, b) adding aero bars c) trying to pace it, have not managed to go as fast again!
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    absolutely; above all else you must ride your own race in time trials, despite all the temptations of chasing down a minuteman.
  • I've done a few but haven't cracked it yet I think. Rode my fist 100 on Sunday and the wind was brutal - 20mph+ headwind for half of each 20 mile lap. Was really thinking of packing it in after about 45 miles, but stuck with it and got 4:46:18 - which I am damned pleased with.

PBed in both of the club evening 10s this year, but I feel I'm not giving it everything on a 10 - HR well down on last year. Maybe I just prefer longer TTs.

PS: Anyone know who won the Hounslow 100 on Sunday? Trying to fill in a form for a 50. Nick Bowdler passed me going like a TGV at one point with the slow legs. Scary.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    PS: Anyone know who won the Hounslow 100 on Sunday? Trying to fill in a form for a 50. Nick Bowdler passed me going like a TGV at one point with the slow legs. Scary.

Adam Topham with a 3:38 or so. Beating Nick Bowdler by about 3 minutes.

I did a 4:09 - was a pretty horrible day - but it didn't seem to harm the time of the top riders!
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    3:38:46 is the correct time, and as Jim mentioned it was Adam Topham. Tough race, but all 100's are very tough. What you lose into the wind, you just try and gain it back with the tailwind, and save some watts whilst you do it.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    SBezza of course passed me for 8 minutes inside 30miles :( He said hello as he passed which was nice...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Thanks guys. I'm able to put that down on the 50 form now. Not done a 50 before.

I see there's a 25 on that course on 10th July. Might enter that. I said to Mrs. H. that I'd start looking at TT bikes when I could get 1:02 for a 25. If I can get 1:04 on then G45 course ...

Of course, I'll still be old and fat.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    schweiz wrote:
    me too!

before my first TT I sought the advice of a club mate. The answer was:

'Vollgas von A bis Z'

So I did.

Genau!

I'm struggling to find a TT scene this side of the Jura. Apart from a hill climb TT (which I did yesterday, but I need to lose at least 8 kg to even be competitive) I haven't had any luck. Any clues where to look?