45 year old, fat, newbie commuter needs advise please

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    dhope wrote:
    I managed to keep him within 50 metres again but couldn't gain on him although he wasn't getting any further away, right to the end of this very long road, then we went separate ways.

I can't let that go now can I

And to think, yesterday you didn't know what SCR was :wink:

Ladies, Gentlemen, I think we have a new convert!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • SCR.............PLINK

the penny drops.. :D
    FCN 11
  • FBB is there much of an opportunity for you to have breakfast at work? I always found this seriously helps me - ride, shower, 60p for a bowl of porridge. I find it impossible to do any exercise within 2 hours of eating (in fact when rowing at school I was known as 'Vomming Will' for reasons you can guess). At a guess places such as prisons which will have 24hr staffing I assume would have a (staff) canteen.
    Having said that some find it hell to ride in without some kind of energy source or food in them.
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • TLDNMCL
    TLDNMCL Posts: 2,779
    FBB - For an easy option on the breakfast, I use Quaker's "Oats So Simple"

A bit more expensive than a big box, but you can stuff a sachet or two on your pocket until you get to work, and with a splosh of milk and access to a microwave, your breakfast can be ready in the time it takes you to get your riding clobber off. A little dollop of honey and a chopped up banana thrown in works very well too.
    Mac
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Or protein shake, cycle, porridge? That's my routine.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    In realtion to staying dry, I take the opinion that if you're going to get wet, then you'll get wet.

I think it's far more important to waterproof your bag/rucksack/pannier, that way you'll get to work and have some nice warm clothes to change into whereas your colleagues travelling in by train/walking will still end up getting wet as they finish their journey.

Its also worth spending some preparation time in organising drying facilities at work, and maybe leaving some spare socks and shorts at work for the really bad days.

I've discovered that putting really wet clothes on hangers at the back of our server room ensures they'll always be dry when I come to leave :)
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Big bowl of fruit and fibre sets me up in the morning!
  • Just spotted these on ePain seems to be a bargain.

has anybody used these tyres and would these fit on the standard rims that came with my hardrock? the tyres on there at the mo are 26 x 2.00

Rest day today..... the aching legs have arrived today :( not as bad as I thought it would be though.

Would it be too ambitious of me to attempt or think about riding both ways every day next week? thats gonna be a jump from 27.5 miles this week to 80 miles next.

I can make sure I load myself with porridge and banana before I leave in a morning to avoid the lack of energy whilst going. lunch from the staff mess can be anything from chips to a full meat and two veg lunch or just a sandwich or jacket spud. So plenty of options there.

should I have some sort of healthy snack for 'fuel' before I set off on the return journey

thanks
    FCN 11
  • Just found this..... sweet memories... unfortunately not mine some lucky guy owns this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59992129@N02/5478706826/

I rode hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of miles around east yorkshire on this bike (well one like it) in around the very early 80's and loved it and cleaned it meticulously ..... until some theiving scrote decided to help themselves to it from outside the local swimming baths while we were inside playing on the latest in video games Galaxians. (even at the age of 15 I cried :cry: ).

:twisted: I hope the thief got a puncture whilst riding it and was mangled in excrutiating pain beneath the wheels of a truck :twisted: .
    FCN 11
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Would it be too ambitious of me to attempt or think about riding both ways every day next week? thats gonna be a jump from 27.5 miles this week to 80 miles next.

You'd probably be ale to do it, but I think you'd be absolutely knackered by Friday night. How about taking e.g. Wednesday off? No sense in destroying yourself. But yes, to start with, eat lots of sensible food, until you work out how much food you actually need.

Great work, by the way.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Tyre wise I've been using the 1.5 version of these on my hardrock since last october, so far around 1000 miles and no punctures.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=24629
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    FBb I started riding again last year and just got stuck in much like yourself. The result is A a fitter happier and new road bike me !

My commute is 10.2 miles which I often do within 30 minutes - looking to do some tt's this year. So keep it up and good luck to you, now you have to hunt granddad down a say a cheery good morning as you breeze past.
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • Well, start of a new week and the decision about how much train and how much cycling loomed.

I decided I would begin the week by riding the 8 mile commute into work.
    if it was too much I thought I could jump on the train if needed to get home.
    35 minutes each way today. :D
    The ride in was ok..... head wind AGAIN, and some odd things going on.

I had numbness in my right foot, like the circulation was cut off ?
    My hands had no numbness today unlike last week, how can this be?

And lastly the most concerning one and the most worrying...... getting off my bike after the 8 mile ride in was the numbness to my under carriage....??????

that can't be normal can it ?
    FCN 11
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    Numbness is something we all get used to, make sure your footwear is not too tight and wear padded lycra the girls love a guy in spray on clothing! - no undies with proper cycling shorts/leggings.
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • Nik Cube wrote:
    wear padded lycra the girls love a guy in spray on clothing! - no undies with proper cycling shorts/leggings.

It wouldn't be a pretty sight for the girls if this fat lad put the lycra on :oops: ....

I'll have to be 4 stone lighter before wearing anything like that... :D it'd be a criminal offence surely. :wink:

Is there anywhere to view peoples cam corder full length commutes? ( not sure why I wanna watch things like this but I do) I know there is a thread on here about helmet cam movies but it all seems to be about bad drivers being caught on film.

As for the foot numbness... I did have on some much lighter trainers with very thin soles so that could be it.

ta
    FCN 11
  • Fatboy,

Anyone got in touch with you about the film rights to this saga yet??? :wink:
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    try wearing some thicker soled shoes maybe. I wear some casual trainer shoes with firm soles are they are fine.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Nik Cube wrote:
    wear padded lycra the girls love a guy in spray on clothing! - no undies with proper cycling shorts/leggings.

It wouldn't be a pretty sight for the girls if this fat lad put the lycra on :oops: ....

I'll have to be 4 stone lighter before wearing anything like that... :D it'd be a criminal offence surely. :wink:

Is there anywhere to view peoples cam corder full length commutes? ( not sure why I wanna watch things like this but I do) I know there is a thread on here about helmet cam movies but it all seems to be about bad drivers being caught on film.

As for the foot numbness... I did have on some much lighter trainers with very thin soles so that could be it.

ta

Lycra with baggies over the top, nobody need ever know you're a bike fetishist.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Fatboy,

sorry..... I'll shut up now
    FCN 11
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I had numbness in my right foot, like the circulation was cut off ?
    My hands had no numbness today unlike last week, how can this be?

And lastly the most concerning one and the most worrying...... getting off my bike after the 8 mile ride in was the numbness to my under carriage....??????

that can't be normal can it ?
    Foot numbness is probably due to too soft and flexible a sole and/or shoes laced up too tight. Next time you're in a bike shop, have a look at the road bike shoes and try to flex the sole. It should be very stiff. More comfortable to ride in and more efficient.
    I would suggest riding in the stiffest soled trainers you have and not lacing them too tight.

Numb nether regions ain't a good thing.
    What kind of saddle does your bike have? Is it fatter and more heavily stuffed with padding than your grandma's favourite armchair, or is it a thin torture device lookalike? Being a mountain bike, I would guess there is a fair bit of padding in there. Heavily padded saddles are fine for a quick trip to the shops or a pootle around the park, but 16 miles a day needs the proper tools.
    Racing saddles have evolved that shape to allow the pros ride for hour after hour, day after day. They wouldn't be that shape if they weren't comfortable to ride on.
    May be time to upgrade to a better saddle? And padded shorts.

I'll have to be 4 stone lighter before wearing anything like that... Very Happy it'd be a criminal offence surely. Wink

ta

Which leads me onto clothing.

Wearing lycra when on a bike is like wearing football kit when playing football or a vest and shorts when playing basketball.
    You don't do it for the look, you do if because it does a job. Form follows function.
    Compared to a cotton t-shirt, lycra will keep you cooler in hot weather and warmer in cool weather and faster ride because it is better at cutting through the wind.

The same people who rib you when you start will be the ones most impressed when they see you shrink.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Fatboy,

sorry..... I'll shut up now

Don't you dare!! I was only kidding.

Look at the responses you've got - you've covered virtually the whole gamut of "starting out" in this thread and that's got to be a positive thing. Keep it up - you've got a 'public' to think about now dammit.... :lol:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,943
    getting off my bike after the 8 mile ride in was the numbness to my under carriage....??????

Try raising your saddle.

I know this sounds stupid but I had the same problem when I started out, a strange combination of numbness and pain. Basically I found that the saddle was too low. Raising the saddle put me into the right position over the bike and the pressure was no longer being applied to Little TailWindHome
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    getting off my bike after the 8 mile ride in was the numbness to my under carriage....??????

Try raising your saddle.

I know this sounds stupid but I had the same problem when I started out, a strange combination of numbness and pain. Basically I found that the saddle was too low. Raising the saddle put me into the right position over the bike and the pressure was no longer being applied to Little TailWindHome
    Could be this, could be a saddle that's too narrow for your sit-bones. We're all unique and it can take a while to get bike setup right.

Good luck and keep at it :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • I am about to start , so you are my role model !
    I am just 50, with a 19 mile each way commute on flat countryside into York.

I will build up in stages , but I want to do two/ three trips a week once into it.

I have the Wetherby-Filey charity ride to do in June as well - 70 miles.

Keep it up

John
  • @ EKE and TailWindHome.....

The saddle is the bog standard specialized one that came on the beast. It is very narrow but it does have some padding....I'll post a pic.

And as to the height.... it is about the height of the stem.

I have it there so as to fully extend my legs..... maybe my riding position is all wrong? how could I determine if its right?

just seen a gorgeous Boardman team carbon road bike in halfords for ONLY £999 quid... but that'll have to wait til I've squirreled away a few scheckles and shed a couple or three stone..... My goodness the wheels and tyres look thin, howw could they support my bulk..... the poor things would give out a sigh when I got off..... :shock:
    FCN 11
  • fatboybiker
    fatboybiker Posts: 62
    edited February 2011
    Just heard that I may have a longer commute in about 8 weeks :(

Could be that my commute will be 10.5 miles each way..... how feasible is that after what will be about 9 weeks?

nearly all country roads !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
    FCN 11
  • tailwindhome
    @ EKE and TailWindHome.....

The saddle is the bog standard specialized one that came on the beast. It is very narrow but it does have some padding....I'll post a pic.

And as to the height.... it is about the height of the stem.

I have it there so as to fully extend my legs..... maybe my riding position is all wrong? how could I determine if its right?

Is your saddle level?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Just heard that I may have a longer commute in about 8 weeks :(

Could be that my commute will be 10.5 miles each way..... how feasible is that after what will be about 9 weeks?

9 weeks from now you'll be looking at bikehike plotting longer rides home and telling tall tales about having to work late
  • Total Ascent: 594 ft
    Total Descent: 565 ft
    Start Elevation: 26 ft
    End Elevation: 54 ft Elevation
    Min Elevation: 26 ft Gradient
    Max Elevation: 491 ft Back

Just plotted the route on bikhike and OMG its all hills :shock:

I will die :(
    FCN 11
  • Fatboy,

I can see it now. Colin Firth receives his 3rd consecutive Oscar for his moving portrayal of “Fat boy's lunch-box”

Seriously, there are many of us here who are, or have been, “built for comfort rather than speed”. The more cycling you do the more comfortable it becomes, and pretty soon you learn that proper cycle kit (perhaps under casual clothes), and cycle shoes make sense.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem