45 year old, fat, newbie commuter needs advise please

fatboybiker
fatboybiker Posts: 62
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi,

as the title says I'm about to begin commuting for the first time. With a petorl bill rising to nearly 50quid a week to be the traffic. So 3 weeks ago I thought enough is enough.

I'm looking for advise so as to avoid killing myself, as excercise has been alien to me since the age of 20. Up until then I did cycle everywhere and probably racked up 50 miles a week (could have been more but never needed to know) on my old iron horse BSA Javelin (bright yellow I think). That seems a world away now and the roads seem far more congested than I ever remember.

anyway.....

I'm nearly 45 yoa and weigh bang on 17 stone and i'm 5' 11.... so probably classed as obese :(

my journey too and from work has changed for financial reasons among others and for the last 3 weeks has involved a 10 minute walk from home to the train station, a ten minute journey on the train to the town centre and then a 2.2 mile walk which I can now do in 35 minutes (was 45mins at the beginning though not too sure if thats good or bad). and then following a full days work(i'm a teacher in a prison) I do the whole thing in reverse.

The journey by road is 8 miles so that would be 16 mile round trip commute.(i'm not sure how this compares to others on here, probably very short).

I've been doing walk, train, walk so far. Now I've serviced my bike do I do bike , train, bike and cut down the walking times..... or do I jump straight in and do the whole commute by bike? ? ?

Is 16 miles a day, 5 days a week enough for any weight loss? or am I kidding myself that this might be a welcome bonus? :roll:

also (i'll shut up in a minute) a work colleague suggested changing the tyres on my bike (26 x 2.00 semi mountain bike type, i mean they aren't the real nobbly ones) to slimmer smoother road tyres but I don't have a clue what make or size would be suitable for my rims, so any help would be great.

And any advice on good reasonably priced water proofs would be helpfull too. Are there any trousers/joggers that are water proof and can be worn without anything underneath ( not in a pervy way) ideally with a flourescent coloured waterproof jacket that won't break the bank.

I got myself a skid lid at a bargain price, a Bell Ventura for £20.69 from Halfords online instead of £45 quid instore. Although I did use their reserve and collect service and had to go to the store to get it.(figure that one out)

The bike I bought 12 months ago(I was going to do this back then but the car...... ) is a Specialized Hardrock, not the best by any means but for someone like me on a limited budget it will get me started.

sorry for such a long first post and it being all me,me,me. but all help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
FCN 11

Comments

• TLDNMCL
    TLDNMCL Posts: 2,779
    Good on you, you won't regret it.

Try the 8 miles - give yourself time, and if you feel like stopping for 5 mins, you can do.
    May be an idea to just do the whole of one leg every other day for a week or so to see how it goes;

A 16 mile round trip will be easily acheivable on a daily basis after a week or two warm up as suggested above.

And yes, it is enough for weight loss, combined with a bit of an eating habit change; one of the reasons being that once you are comfortable with the route & ride, you'll be tempted to try and trim a minute or two off your usual time, so you will involuntarily work a bit harder as the weeks go by. Don't expect it to happen overnight though!

Take yourself off to a (proper) bike shop for advice on tyres - tell them what you are up to, and they will point you in the right direction.

Don't ride in the gutter - get out a bit wider and be seen by the traffic approaching behind, and this also gives drivers at T-junctions a clearer view of you approaching too.

I won't advise on waterproofs because I don't use them - it's not a kind of bravado or anything, it's just that I find them uncomfortable to ride in, and I always end up steamy and wet inside them anyway.
    Good luck, and don't be put off by the occasional bad day.
    Mac
  • Welcome welcome.

On the whole a friendly lot here and I'm sure you'll get some good advice. Do remember however that some of the questions that are new to you may have been asked by others before, so it pays to get the hang of the search tools too.

8 miles is not too far once you get used to it, but it may be a bit of a shock to the system to go from nothing to 16 miles a day, 5 days a week, so don't be frightened of bailing out some days, but I suspect that you'll find commuting by bike quicker, cheaper and more fun than your current method.

I support all good advice from TLDNMCL. There are a number of different philosophies exhibited on this forum - some like to travel fast and lightweight, others (like me) favour comfort and reliability.. Assuming you can lock out your forks, your bike is fine for this commute. Personally I'd replace the tyre with 1.5-2.0 inch semi slicks, or perhaps Marathons.

My next upgrades would be mudguards, spd pedals and shoes.

I like to carry my gear (change of clothes, towel, locks, lights, spare inner tube, tools, work stuff etc.) in a pannier so have a rack, but there are many who are happy with a rucksack or courier bag.

Most cheaper waterproofs just make you sweat, so unless you fancy investing in decent gear (and arguably even then) it probably isn't worth bothering. Skin is pretty waterproof and assuming you can shower at either end and have a change of clothing, accept you may occasionally get wet.

I would recommend a wind-proof top though, which will keep you warm, without making you sweat. Proper cycling shorts are comfortable and can be worn under trackie bottoms or regular shorts if you are self-conscious.

Enjoy.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Hi Fatboy,

Well done for realising that cycling is a great way of getting to work. I think you have chosen a great time to start cycle commuting (weatherwise), cool enough so that you don't get too sweaty on your way in (once you work out what you need to wear to ride in.

Re waterproofs: I don't wear them and many others on here don't either. Personally, I dress for the temperature, not the precipitation. Lycra keeps you pretty warm even when wet (unlike a cotton t-shirt) and skin is waterproof, so a set of waterproofs is pretty much redundant. The main problem with waterproofs is they may keep rain off you, but you get so sweaty in them that you end up soaked with your own sweat (and sweat gets smelly).
    I hear Merino wool is even better than lycra.

Re tyres: You don't want to ride on knobbly tyres on the road. You get less grip, it makes for a less comfortable ride on tarmac, they are noisier and are probably heavier. Tread on tyres is a bit of a waste of time. Go for 1 - 1.5" slicks.

Re skidlid: Good call on your part. Lets just leave that one there!

Re commuting: Going from a standstill to 80 miles a week is a big jump. I do about the same distance and am pretty fit, but I still have days where I don't feel like cycling (but I take a dose of MTFU and carry on). I would suggest a split commute.

Monday:Ride in, ride - train - ride home
    Tues: Ride - train - ride in, ride home
    Wed: Ride in, ride home
    Thur: Ride in, ride - train - ride home
    Fri: Ride in, ride - train - ride home
    Sat: Rest
    Sun: Bike love day. Clean, lube and fettle.
    Don't ride when you really don't want to, but as you get more into it those days get less and less. A dose of MTFU to get you out of the house in the morning works wonders.
    As you get fitter, the number of times you use the train will decrease. Eventually you will dispise taking the train.

Have a read of Cyclecraft for advice but in the meantime I would say don't ride in the gutter or in the doorzone, use lights (with good batteries) and reflectives.

Enjoy it. Whats your FCN?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Cycletraining to refresh the cobwebs and highlights things you might not have realised you didn't know.

Contact your local council. It's either free or practically free.

Welcome :)
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    1. Welcome to the gang, we're mostly house trained and friendly
    2. Before you do anything, get your GP to give you the once over
    3. Might be worth getting your local bike shop (aka LBS) to give your bike the OK as well
    4. Start slowly - you'll find 8 miles a struggle at first; personally, I'd start by riding in one day, get home by a different route (eg public transport), ride home the next day, then rest... etc
    5. Hopefully you'll soon be up and running - or rather, cycling

PS: make sure you get a good lock, as there's a lot of thieving b**tards out there. Oh, hang on, you probably know that, don't you... :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    You will lose weight but you also will need to ensure you eat correctly too as 40mins cycling twice a day will use up energy like you won't believe. Have a read of the Fitness/Diet part of the BikeRadar website for some good articles on nutrition.

Have a look on this forum for a very inspiring post by a bloke who used to be TWICE your weight and how he lost it through cycling.

• This distance can be as easy or as difficult as you want, depending on how fast you want to ride and taking it easy at first and just appreciating being back on a bike is the most important thing. If you want post some pics of you sitting on your bike (side view) and ask for advice on position and you will get loads of response about bike setup. This is important to be comfortable and more efficient and will make the whole riding experience more pleasant. :D
    Specialized Langster
    Specialized Enduro Expert
    Specialized Rockhopper

This season I will be mainly riding a Specialized
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    My tip is to avoid feeling like you must cycle the entire round trip or do every day from the moment you start as it may become a slog and you could lose heart before your fitness improvement becomes noticable. In other words don't be afraid of having rest days or cycling to work, leave the bike and get public transport home. Once you've been doing it a while then let the rests become less frequent.

On the waterproof front I would say that 8 miles is far enough to think that you couldn't keep yourself dry due to sweat, so if possible carry the work clothes and shower at work.

I tend to only wear a waterproof jacket when the rain is heavy and I want some morale/warmth, whilst the legs can get wet. The sweat buildup is too much to stay dry.

PS: before spending a load of cash on every bit of gear, try the commute out for a little while and then buy a few bits and bobs.
  • Hi SKINNY, I'm 50 and more than you, see my bike

http://sirpatrickmooresales.co.uk/Ourpage.aspx

In fact I have three bikes and have just upgraded this one, when I started I did a mile, then panted by the side of the road, (before Christmas) now I could never be without my bike, use it for everything, shopping, even the 300 yards over the road to my local bike shop.

Believe me it WILL be hard to begin with but STICK at it, in two months you will dread it going in for a service and end up getting a spare bike
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    good on you for commuting by bike, i "took the plunge" in january after not cycling for ages.

my daily commute is about 6 miles each way, which i can cruise now in 25mins. when i first started in january it was 40mins pluss i woudl get to work a sweating mess.

i personally wear waterproofs (when it rains) i wear a Sprayway Goretex Paclite jacket and Goretex over trousers, they keep you dry an breathe so you dont feel like your getting boiled alive

my current commuter bike is a cheap Trek mountain bike with skinny tyres pumped up to 45psi (rock hard) its shocking what a difference in tyre pressures does to your speed! i might not be able to keep up with the lycra clad roadies but i can still ride along at 14 - 16mph oh an im 17.5 stone

good luck
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Hmm,
    BSA Javelin
    Nice 8)
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I was in simular postion a few years ago. 20 Stone, 6ft unfit blah blah blah.

First thing I would say is don't worry about the weight, use the cyling to get fit let the rest happen natural. It's good advice to cut the crap out of your diet but don't get hung up on the weight issue. While I've lost 2 stone in 3 years, most of that came from diet in year 1. Since cycling I've stay around 18 stone mark but lost inches all over the place :shock: This year despite cycling 100 mile average a week and fealing great for it I've lost next to no weight, but everyone says I look thinner! So simply don't worry about that part just getting fit.

The second bit of advice I have is learn to push yourself. I did this by going to spin classes, in fact I did this before buying a bike and it was this that made me buy a bike and start commuting to work, starting with one journey a week (train in cycle home) and then building up and up each day trying to go faster, longer etc. The little challenges make all difference as it is all to easy to give up and make an excuse such as you're tired, out of breath, the hills too steep etc etc.

Learning to push yourself brings be rewards as you start to achieve things you didn't think possible. For me these include a sub one hour 14 mile commute in London traffic when the first took me 2 hours, completing 100miles in week, cycling to Brighton from London, completing all 10 commuter journeys in one week. Now it's trying to average 100 miles per week every week this year, so far I'm on track and still 18 stone!

The other thing I've found through pushing myself is that I seem to be much more capable of doing things on the bike than I thought, there was a time when 20 miles seemed a long way, it's not anymore but I only found this out when I did it. Sure it hurt the first time, but a little less the 2nd and so on. If you don't push yourslef you never find this out.

I would also strongly recommend some cycle training as mentioned above and maybe some spin classes, if you can find one where the instructure also rides a road bike, as this will help you with positioning and technique for going quicker and further in a safe environment.

Also read this http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/ inspiring in the extreem.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699

Been cycling in for about 6 months and before I started I spent a while faffing considering what kit to get, how the logistics about getting to work and changing, showering etc would work, what I'd do on days I left the bike at work, where I'd leave work shoes etc.

Ended up just being my usual procrastination and I'm really not sure what I had to worry about. I started cycling a few times a week which quickly became daily, now I'll avoid the train if at all possible.

I do 6 miles each way and it very quickly becomes perfectly manageable - you notice fresh legs on the Monday and slightly heavy legs on the Friday, but that's it. You'll lose weight with 16 miles a day too.

Agree with EKE - ride in, train back, train in, ride back. If you don't fancy it one day, don't worry.

Waterproofs - I don't much bother either. I shower at work and leave things hanging so they dry during the day. If it's warm (and it generally is pretty mild) then I don't mind getting wet. Been shorts weather for a few weeks now.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I could have written something almost identical to this three years ago. I guess key points from my experience:

1) 8 miles will seem like a long way to start with. But you seem to have options to mix the journey up a bit and I suggest you do this. But I also suggest you set yourself some targets (eg 16 miles week one, 32 miles week two...etc). The car/train can be very tempting when you've just dragged yourself out of bed and you're not properly awake, and I find that having a target helps me on the worst 20 yards of the trip, which is the walk to the garage.

2) Good tyres are worth every penny. You need slicks or semi-slicks and I'd recommend you buy good quality ones with puncture protection. You might end up paying £20 to £25 per tyre, but it's only a week's worth of petrol. I use Contintental Travel Contacts on my MTB and they do the job admirably.

3) Invest in cycle-specific clothing. It's much more comfortable, and even if you have reservations about lycra, I recommend you take the plunge anyway. Roadies wear lycra for a reason. From my point of view, if I had a limited amount of cash to spend on clothing, I'd start with bib tights (at this time of year) or bib shorts (in spring), next would be good quality base layers (merino deserves its reputation), then mid-layers, then a good quality soft-shell cycling jacket. Waterproofs would be way down my list of priorities, simply because you need them surprisingly infrequently and actually they're of limited use because you tend to overheat very quickly in them. I wear my softshell every day in winter, I wear my waterproof maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

4) Personally, I found clipless pedals, mudguards and rack/panniers made the biggest impact in terms of comfort on the bike. They don't suit everyone, but worth considering.
  • Good on you!

Take it easy at first, don't push yourself too hard, don't give up. And don't fret about losing weight since that will happen of its own accord - too fast and you'll just get hungry, irritable and tired, and then give up.

On other stuff you asked:

- A Hardrock will be fine - just lock out the suspension. You can move to something more road orientated later, but the key now is to get started

- Continental do various road tyres in 26" (to fit an MTB). Have a peek at their website. Go as narrow as your rims will allow (probably 1.5 or so). Big improvement.

- Waterproof stuff that doesn't cost loads tends to make you just as wet from sweating. Spend a fortune and you'll still get wet when it rains

- For that distance (and for general outdoors) hard to beat Ron Hill Tracksters for value and function. Not waterproof but dry in seconds so it doesn't matter. Longer than 8m and you'll probably want some padding

- Don't spend more than you have to on clothing - it'll be far too big in a few months

- When you feel confident, spds make a big difference

- A decent track pump is a brilliant investment - Lezyne is the tops IMO
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Good for you, fatboy. 8 miles each way isn't very far, but it'll feel like it to start with. Suspend judgement until you've done it for a month.

Technique:
      Use a gear (probably one lower than you think you need) that allows you to spin your legs quite quickly. As you get more supple, it'll get easier. Don't rush. Allow 20% more time than you think you'll need. Keep a log of how long it takes you. The time will come down after a while, making you feel very pleased with yourself 8) Take a small bidon (those bottles that clip onto your bike) of water and sip from it a couple of times on the way. This will make your stomach process whatever's in it and absorb the energy stored in the food.

Safety:
      Ride confidently, as though you were driving a slow, thin car, at least a metre from the kerb or parked cars, if at all possible. This will stop most drivers taking liberties. Wear a crash helmet if it makes you feel safer, but don't be foolhardy - they do not stop people driving into you or protect the bits most likely to be damaged in a crash - collarbones, wrists, elbows and ribs. They may make head injuries (very unlikely in a crash) less severe. On no account undertake HGVs or buses. Indeed, give them a very wide berth. Don't assume cycle lanes are safer than the rest of the road. Keep your ears open at all times - you can get a lot of clues about the traffic around you by listening. Don't use your iPod

Luggage:
      Get the bike to carry it if at all possible. if you must carry stuff on your back, keep the load as light as possible. Keep half your wardrobe at work.
    I'm nearly 45 yoa and weigh bang on 17 stone and i'm 5' 11.... so probably classed as obese :(

PS - I'm 60, 6ft, have been 14st for the past 20 years and commuted by bike most of the time for 30 years. This allowed me to eat lots of French-, Middle Eastern- and Spanish-style food and drink plenty of Cotes du Rhone, Rioja, Budvar and real ale without putting on weight :P
    Welcome!

I'm going to disagree on the waterproofs. Good cycle specific kit is breathable and will keep you bone dry. I recommend the DHB e-vent stuff, but it isn't cheap.....
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Welcome to the world of cycling. To be honest there is not alot that I can add that hasnt already been said before only that you are not unique!

Plenty of us have weight issues and cycle. Myself i'm 20st and thats 4st down on where I was this time last year! If you just start slow and work up it should be no bother for you in no time at all and you'll find yourself drooling over the latest carbon bling in the local bike shop! :lol::lol:

Personally though I just say go for it! 8 miles really isnt alot as considering your current commute is over an hour you have plenty of time to plod in slowly. If it was me in your situation i'd take a saturday to cycle over to the prison just to see how long it takes. If need be ring the missus to pick you up or if you feel up to it cycle home again afterwards. This will give you an idea of the state you will be in when you get to work and allow you to adjust your plans accordingly.

As others have said a decent baselayer and pair of cycling shorts are a must!! the baselayer can be had form millets/blacks for under a tenner and the bib shorts are cheap enough from wiggle.co.uk . Always aim to start the ride slightly cold but not too cold as once warmed up you will be thankful you didnt have that extra layer on!

Lastly just enjoy it! cycling is meant to be fun so if you dont feel like it one day dont! But remember every time you cycle in you are saving yourself £10 :lol:
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    Its a great time of year to start. Remember to enjoy it and not to push yourself too hard. Another thing is to keep an account of how long it takes you now, how you feel and then do the same in 3 months, you'll be amazed at the change.

Enjoy
  • pintoo
    pintoo Posts: 145
    You'll do fine. Work out a routine that is comfortable. Don't feel bad about only riding to the train station once in a while. Work up to a daily commute if you have to. 8mi is not so bad, unless it's really hilly.

You picked a good time to start - it's great riding weather. Not too hot, not too cold.

The bike you have is fine. I agree that locked shocks are likely to be better for road riding, unless you have badly potholed roads. I usually ride a road-bike, but since this winter's big freeze, I prefer to go out on a mountain bike, just because the roads I ride are shocking.

I never ride without a helmet. I took a spill two weeks ago (first in over 20 years - it's not that common!) and my head, shoulder and ribs took the brunt of it. Bruised ribs, sprained shoulder, black eye and new helmet required. Thankfully, no damage to the noggin.

I bought an Endura Night Vision jacket years ago and, although expensive (I think £90), it's money well spent. Cheaper jackets aren't so breathable.

Slicks are a good idea, or you could go with town and track type tyres. It's a personal preference thing.

I rode with a backpack for years, but once I got over my vanity issues, panniers are far more comfortable to live with.

Look into safe riding and basic maintenance courses in your local area - should be some funded by the council. They're very worthwhile.

All the best.
  • OMG all these replies..... NOT read any yet I'll read through em shortly. desperate need of a shower.

Just to say I jumped in and did the whole thing both ways today 8 miles this morn and 8 tonight (just got in 5 mins ago)

35-40 minutes each way.... is that good or bad?

is it was very wet this morning :( so I put on some waterproof over trousers and I'm glad I did. next purchase asap is mudguards..... :D how much sh*te can you get covered in through lack of mudguards....

anyway..... showers beckoning.... I'll read all your comments in a bit.

thanks
    FCN 11
  • OMG all these replies..... NOT read any yet I'll read through em shortly. desperate need of a shower.

Just to say I jumped in and did the whole thing both ways today 8 miles this morn and 8 tonight (just got in 5 mins ago)

is it was very wet this morning :( so I put on some waterproof over trousers and I'm glad I did. next purchase asap is mudguards..... :D how much sh*te can you get covered in through lack of mudguards....

anyway..... showers beckoning.... I'll read all your comments in a bit.

thanks

Piece o' P*ss innit :lol:

Same again tomorrow?
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Good work. 35-40mins is absolutely fine :D
    My 6 miles is about 24mins and I've been doing it for 6 months. Sounds like I need to get a move on tbh :oops:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rhext
    Good stuff.

I'd guess that within four to six weeks you'll be doing it in 30 minutes, if not too hilly and not too many traffic lights.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    SimonAH wrote:

Good cycle specific kit is breathable and will keep you bone dry. I recommend the DHB e-vent stuff, but it isn't cheap.....

That's often a big problem for newbies, fresh from the shock of buying bike, lock, magic hat, lights etc etc

Good stuff! Reward yourself now!

That's not bad at all. My commute was 11 miles each way. 55mins to work, record 49 mins (uphill), 45 mins from work, record 38mins (downhill).
    Dudu wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Good cycle specific kit is breathable and will keep you bone dry. I recommend the DHB e-vent stuff, but it isn't cheap.....

That's often a big problem for newbies, fresh from the shock of buying bike, lock, magic hat, lights etc etc

Surprising how quickly the attitude changes from "What?!? £20 for a glorified t shirt" to "Hmmm, only £100 for that Jacket, what else can I get too?"
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    Dudu wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Surprising how quickly the attitude changes from "What?!? £20 for a glorified t shirt" to "Hmmm, only £100 for that Jacket, what else can I get too?"

Definately! I've gone from 'ooh them DHB bib shorts are on offer' to 'Ooh that assos stuff is nice!' It only took me about 6 months of serious riding aswell! :lol::lol:
    FCN 7

FCN 4

• rhext
    To waterproof or not seems to be one of those eternal debates. All I know is that I have a top-of-the range Gore cycling jacket in my pannier which gets maybe two or three outings a year. Cost a fortune, and I'll cheerfully admit that it's excellent: I just don't find I use it very much.

Newbies seem fixated on the 'problem' of getting rained on. But proper heavy rain is actually quite rare. You get lots of 'wet' days, but mostly you find that the rain's either just stopping, or just starting, or it's just a bit of drizzle. It's very rare that it comes down heavy enough to have me reaching for a waterproof.