Silly Commuter Coffee

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Asprilla wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    I don't like coffee, but I've decided to learn it.

That made me chuckle! How do you "learn" coffee if you won't drink it?!

You learn to like it. Or at least tolerate it. The worst that can happen is that I no-longer spit out coffee chocolates and make retching noises at the dining table in polite company

Heh heh... Surely you don't have to drink coffee in "polite company"? Ask for a mint tea instead or something!

No, but the point is that I want to. I love the smell of coffee and the ceremony that goes into it. I see no reason why I can't learn to like it and enjoy it.

Good luck with liking coffee! I just find it quite funny in an endearing kind of way that you want to learn to like something you clearly don't like! if I don't like something, I don't like it, polite company and pompous ceremony or no! Having said that there isn't much out there that I won't eat or drink, or at least try... I was in Rome last week and had fried sheep brains and sweetbreads at a restaurant near Piazza Navona.... Hmmmm...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Headhuunter
    Some good spots for coffee around us Asprilla. There is a Prufrock on Leather Lane now.

I work near there! Is that the fancy looking place with lots of open space about halfway up Leather Lane? There's a place called the Ministry of Coffee or something on Leather Lane too, isn't there? Perhaps we should meet for "Silly Commuter Coffee" one lunchtime and help Asprilla ease into liking the stuff...!
  • Headhuunter
    I got into coffee when my girlfriend poured a ton of sugar into hers, and so refused to drink it. I gave it a go as a dare and loved it.

It's virtually a different drink. She has a breath of sugar, I have a proper Italian style helping.

Sugary coffee - bleurgh! You should have been well into coffee from birth being partly from the home of the "coffee" shop...!

I should be tall and have blonde hair too ;)

True...
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Asprilla wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

You learn to like it. Or at least tolerate it. The worst that can happen is that I no-longer spit out coffee chocolates and make retching noises at the dining table in polite company

Heh heh... Surely you don't have to drink coffee in "polite company"? Ask for a mint tea instead or something!

No, but the point is that I want to. I love the smell of coffee and the ceremony that goes into it. I see no reason why I can't learn to like it and enjoy it.

Good luck with liking coffee! I just find it quite funny in an endearing kind of way that you want to learn to like something you clearly don't like! if I don't like something, I don't like it, polite company and pompous ceremony or no! Having said that there isn't much out there that I won't eat or drink, or at least try... I was in Rome last week and had fried sheep brains and sweetbreads at a restaurant near Piazza Navona.... Hmmmm...

You have to learn to like most foods though, at birth and then again following puberty when your tastes can change radically. The theory is that you have to eat / drink something for 10 days consecutively and you will begin to develop a taste for it. I never used to drink red wine, but I can't get enough these days.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Headhuunter
    Asprilla wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

You have to learn to like most foods though, at birth and then again following puberty when your tastes can change radically. The theory is that you have to eat / drink something for 10 days consecutively and you will begin to develop a taste for it. I never used to drink red wine, but I can't get enough these days.

I suppose so... I remember tasting beer and wine before my teen years and not liking it and clearly I do now but I think most other stuff I have either liked or (in very few cases) disliked from the 1st try... Perhaps I make snap judgements!
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I work near there! Is that the fancy looking place with lots of open space about halfway up Leather Lane? There's a place called the Ministry of Coffee or something on Leather Lane too, isn't there? Perhaps we should meet for "Silly Commuter Coffee" one lunchtime and help Asprilla ease into liking the stuff...!

That is indeed the place. Very good coffee. The other place is called Ministry of Social Affairs or some other bollox. Leather Lane is a good spot though. Got tanked in the Craft Beer Co. place a few nights ago. Not serving any Best though which was a shame.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    I figured it was more your taste changes over time.

For example, when you're young you don't like anything remotely bitter - since poisonous stuff is by and large bitter in taste.

You get older, and your're programmed to experiment with more adventurous stuff (eg. bitter stuff), because it's not all bad.

Coffee falls nicely into this bracket > as does beer.
  • Headhuunter

That is indeed the place. Very good coffee. The other place is called Ministry of Social Affairs or some other bollox. Leather Lane is a good spot though. Got tanked in the Craft Beer Co. place a few nights ago. Not serving any Best though which was a shame.

Never tried the coffee there actually, may give it a go sometime! Yes I do like a nice ale, never been to Craft Beer though.... My after work drinking always seems to take place at the Melton Mowbray on Holborn as it's closest to the offic...
  • asprilla

Never tried the coffee there actually, may give it a go sometime! Yes I do like a nice ale, never been to Craft Beer though.... My after work drinking always seems to take place at the Melton Mowbray on Holborn as it's closest to the offic...

Was in the Craft at the end of last week. It's a nice place and anyone who can't find a beer they like in there is just wrong in the head.

The chaps in the office tend to walk over to Caravan in Exmouth Market. Not been yet.

http://caravanonexmouth.co.uk/

Have just bought some re-usable Nespresso cartridges. The Mrs is a coffee drinker but for ease she's succumbed to a Newpresso machine and milk frother. However, Coffeeduck to refillable pods so you can put your own coffee in, cheaper and more choice. Double win.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Coffee falls nicely into this bracket > as does beer.

And olives
  • Headhuunter
    Asprilla wrote:

Was in the Craft at the end of last week. It's a nice place and anyone who can't find a beer they like in there is just wrong in the head.

The chaps in the office tend to walk over to Caravan in Exmouth Market. Not been yet.

http://caravanonexmouth.co.uk/

Have just bought some re-usable Nespresso cartridges. The Mrs is a coffee drinker but for ease she's succumbed to a Newpresso machine and milk frother. However, Coffeeduck to refillable pods so you can put your own coffee in, cheaper and more choice. Double win.

I've just worked out that I've been to Caravan, isn't it more of a restaurant type of place? I remember about 10 years ago it used to be a bar called "Al's" or something. However have been talking to everyone in the office about Craft and we are all VERY excited, somehow we haven't noticed it or been there before....

Surely you're not going to learn to be a really coffee aficionado by drinking Nespresso! Do you think you're George Clooney or something?!
  • asprilla
    Surely you're not going to learn to be a really coffee aficionado by drinking Nespresso! Do you think you're George Clooney or something?!

Everyone has to start somewhere and getting the refillable capsules is a start in the right direction.

I've got mates in Guatemala who know their coffee and send stuff over to the wife, another mate who is a coffee futures trader from Colombia who also sends her stuff, and finally mates in Kenya who send roasted beans over as well.

I'm sure I'll get a decent education.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Headhuunter
    Asprilla wrote:

Everyone has to start somewhere and getting the refillable capsules is a start in the right direction.

I've got mates in Guatemala who know their coffee and send stuff over to the wife, another mate who is a coffee futures trader from Colombia who also sends her stuff, and finally mates in Kenya who send roasted beans over as well.

I see, so start with the rubbish and then when you graduate to the good stuff you will notice the difference and really like it?
  • asprilla
    Asprilla wrote:

I see, so start with the rubbish and then when you graduate to the good stuff you will notice the difference and really like it?

Start with what is easy and accessible and it can't be that bad or the Mrs would never have bought one.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I've just had a Flat White from the Espresso Room.

http://theespressoroom.com/

Here is a map of the best places in London.

http://www.worldbaristachampionship.com ... e-map.html
  • Headhuunter

Interesting map... The cycling cafe "Look Mum No Hands" is on there, I still haven't been though. Browns of Brockley in SE London is v good and about 10 mins from home... The other place Exchange Coffee in Lewisham Market is never there anymore, it was a market stall, think it must have moved to a more profitable location!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I had what can only be called a boring coffee at Monmouth this afternoon, I blame wiggle.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452

Interesting map... The cycling cafe "Look Mum No Hands" is on there, I still haven't been though. Browns of Brockley in SE London is v good and about 10 mins from home... The other place Exchange Coffee in Lewisham Market is never there anymore, it was a market stall, think it must have moved to a more profitable location!

Very interesting map. LMNH is a great venue. Good coffee, friendly, cool stuff to buy, workshop and loads of space to lock up bikes.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:

I'll defend Nespresso here.

When there's no coffee in the house for the morning injection, and you need caffeine to interact with other life-forms, it hits the spot.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    We have one of those machines at work and loads of different capsules it's pretty good even against the likes of Monmouth & Drury.

I like 2 or 3 of their 9+ strength espressos black natch!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Headhuunter
    I'm only teasing, I've never tried Nespresso....

I was in Rome last week and despite everyone saying it's impossibloe to get a bad coffee in Italy, it is in fact possible. however this place is very good, if you're ever there

http://www.santeustachioilcaffe.it/
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Rewind thread

Has anyone used the Dualit 84200 Espressivo Coffee Maker? I can't afford a Rancillo Silva but can afford this.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    I haz one and I am very happy with it. Its a bit of a noisy bugger but it does deliver a good expresso with excellent crema.

Never had occasional to try the milk frother.
  • itboffin
    To be honest i dont think you need anything more than a cup drip filter, i've yet to find anything soooo much more amazing
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Nearly bought a Russell Hobbs cup-drip filter last week. Anyone got one?

Mrs CJ bought some Brazilian blend this morning. Looking forward to tomorrow morning.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Tried that Kenco Millicano instant coffee and I'm impressed. (though I'm used to Tesco Gold)

No proper coffee facilities here and nowhere to take out. So you make the best of a bad job.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I cant help but be amused by this thread. It's amazing how geeks think alike about everything, from bikes, to computers to coffee! (I'm allowed to say geeks as I am self confessed and accused by my wife).

I haven't used my cheap little delonghi for a while now - I ran out of lavazza rossa.

I must buy some more, from what I remember I was struggling with getting the perfect cup, suffering from a slight burnt taste but I don't know if that was likely to have been the milk or the brew. I was getting an excellent crema but the overall taste was just not always perfect. I think I was managing a 50% success rate, very rarely did I make a truly perfect cup.

What are your recommendations for a perfect cup? I warmed my machine with a few pulls of water, is it possible to make the machine too warm? How much coffee do you put in, sometimes if I underfilled there would be no crema. Overfilled and it tastes funny. Also how hard do you need to press the tamper down?

I don't mind neat espresso but I much prefer latte or cappuccino. Which brings me nicely to milk art, which I was also getting obsessed with. Most efforts resembled heart shaped blobs when I was really after the leaf effect but the odd cup looked like it had been served in Rome. Leaving a 50/50 chance of it being drinkable. :roll:

One thing that never worked was the double filter - supposed to give you two shots from a single pull using a larger coffee holder thing. Always a disaster so had to make one cup at a time using the single one.

Help me pls!
  • Help me pls!

To be honest, it sounds like you're beyond help :wink::lol:
  • If i don't get help I may have to buy a nesspresso! Just warning you! hehe
  • The most hardcore coffee I've ever had: 3 tablespoons of Taylor's Hot Lava Java (strength 6!) to a mug, pour with very hot water, leave for 4 minutes, add sugar, stir, drink, enjoy, win Tour de France :-)

Edit: teaspoons I meant! :-D