Silly Commuter Coffee

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    medoramas wrote:
    The most hardcore coffee I've ever had: 3 tablespoons of Taylor's Hot Lava Java (strength 6!) to a mug, pour with very hot water, leave for 4 minutes, add sugar, stir, drink, enjoy, win Tour de France :-)

Edit: teaspoons I meant! :-D

Pfft, you may aswell have dropped two pro plus into a McDonalds coffee...

</coffeesnob>

Went on a bit of a coffee tour the other day. Flat White in Soho -> Prufrock and St Ali's on Clerkenwell Road. Very nice. St Ali's is excellent.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Prufrock is excellent, as is the current seasonal espresso from Square Mile Coffee - Red Brick.

I get my morning dose from the Flat Cap Coffee co's trolley on Fleet Street - Bloody wonderful.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'm off to Caravan in Exmouth Market at lunch time to buy some christmas presents.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316
    In the morning I go to Love in a Cup, near the corner of Osborne Street and Whitechapel Road. Tiny little place, awesome coffee.

http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/venue/2%3A29846/love-in-a-cup
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    what-is-an-italian-coffee-maker-21485270.jpg

Thanks to the above present my addiction has taken off over the holidays, need to read this thread for coffee to buy, have already been looking at grinders... when you start looking at grinders for anything your officially addicted. :lol:
  • notsoblue
    iPete wrote:
    what-is-an-italian-coffee-maker-21485270.jpg

Thanks to the above present my addiction has taken off over the holidays, need to read this thread for coffee to buy, have already been looking at grinders... when you start looking at grinders for anything your officially addicted. :lol:
    You'll never look back. I love my stovetop. Monmouth Espresso grind is my favourite. They have shops in Covent Garden and Borough Market. http://www.monmouthcoffee.co.uk/shops

Delicious...
  • asprilla
    Just walked up to Caravan but it's closed until tomorrow :(

Walked over to The Espresso Room on Great Ormond Street and had a rather nice macchiato :)
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    You would have been within thirty yards of me then Asprilla... Bea's of Bloomsbury also does nice coffee.

Purty ladies in there too.
  • asprilla
    You would have been within thirty yards of me then Asprilla....

That breaches the order doesn't it?

Will try Bea's tomorrow, perhaps.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    Bought my Dad some Kenyan Peaberry from the City Beverage Company on Old Street - just the smell of it as they ground it and bagged it up was awesome. Will have to return for some for myself.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    You would have been within thirty yards of me then Asprilla... Bea's of Bloomsbury also does nice coffee.

Purty ladies in there too.

Is that the one with all the awesome cakes?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    the one and same.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    We just ordered some from eight.nine

They do bespoke coffee via a tool on their website that allows you to design your own blend using two slider things. First batch was pretty decent but the fun comes in tweaking it and seeing if it makes an appreciable difference. Need to perfect "Le Domestique Super Brew" for the coming season (will have some Monmouth in reserve though...).
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Finally talked the talk and went to Monmouth to get some ground espresso beans [after a morning track riding at Herne hill, cliché much?]

Staff are great in there, had no clue what I wanted but they quickly picked me out the right stuff.

IMG_2055-PS.jpg
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I hope the three of you will be very happy together
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • We've got a 10p coffee machine at work. It's shit. The old 10p coffee machine wasn't as bad. I'm considering calling for strike action.

My treat when I got in from work on friday:
    282082_10152164110815451_2126833020_n.jpg
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316
    iPete, James, I use a stove top as well. Do you guys drink it neat? Add milk? Add water and milk? It's not quite as strong as expresso but it's pretty strong on it's own. I usually make it sort of a strong Americano. Half coffee, half water, then a bit of milk.

I've used those Monmouth beans as well, very nice they are too :)
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    My personal coffee set up at work... :D

20120911_171242.jpg
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    iPete wrote:
    Finally talked the talk and went to Monmouth to get some ground espresso beans [after a morning track riding at Herne hill, cliché much?]

Staff are great in there, had no clue what I wanted but they quickly picked me out the right stuff.

IMG_2055-PS.jpg

We have a cat called Monmouth. We also have "Illy" and "Mocha".

The black Labrador is called "Java".

Pattern, anyone?

Cheers,
    W.
    PS The children have normal names, just in case anyone's worried.. :-)
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    PS The children have normal names, just in case anyone's worried.. :-)

How are Tarquin and Wilhelmina? :wink:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Aaaaagh - why did I even look at this thread! I've just started two weeks in the USA - I used to think countries could either make good tea (UK, China etc) or good coffee (Italy, France) but not both - the USA proves it is actually possible to be good at neither! :roll: :cry::cry::cry:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    pangolin wrote:
    iPete, James, I use a stove top as well. Do you guys drink it neat? Add milk? Add water and milk? It's not quite as strong as expresso but it's pretty strong on it's own. I usually make it sort of a strong Americano. Half coffee, half water, then a bit of milk.

I've used those Monmouth beans as well, very nice they are too :)
    This is how most Italians make coffee at home.
    I take mine neat with what looks like an excess of sugar. If you add water or milk then the excess isn't quite so obvious. Gives quite the buzz. :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I love coffee :) I have been dabbling for a little while now. Currently I have a French Press for work but at home I also have a Chemex, Aeropress, couple drip mugs and then my Rancillio Silvia (Pid coming soon) and Rocky Grinder.

Beans I mainly buy from Hasbean. Great variety, roasted on the day and Steve the owner is fantastic. I was in London yesterday so picked up a few at Montmouth for the Press at work. I have had them from Square Mile before and various places but Hasbean is my no 1 with Monmouth as a fall back.
  • twist83
    Good choice Pete. The both of those are great. The Organic Espresso is very smooth.
  • twist83
    Also I know there are a lot of Rapha haters BUT the Rapha pop up not far from Piccadily Circuis makes a very good coffee. They do actually seem to care about what they serve as well.

I love Look Mum No Hands but there coffee is good but not that good. I am a big fan of Flat White and Kaffiene though as well.
  • notsoblue
    twist83 wrote:
    Also I know there are a lot of Rapha haters BUT the Rapha pop up not far from Piccadily Circuis makes a very good coffee. They do actually seem to care about what they serve as well.

I love Look Mum No Hands but there coffee is good but not that good. I am a big fan of Flat White and Kaffiene though as well.
    Naked coffee do the Rapha pop up don't they? I like their place just off Brick Lane.

LMNH coffee is lovely!
  • LMNH was quite nice. I was a geek and bought all the mugs they have. Not splashed out on the espresso cups yet, a bit pricey.

Met some new neighbours at the weekend. Tony was born in Italy. Went round for tea on sunday and had about 6 coffees with some spirit distilled by his cousin in a monastery. Very nice.
    pangolin wrote:
    iPete, James, I use a stove top as well. Do you guys drink it neat?
    I do now I have espresso cups.

Prior to that I was calf coffee, half hot water. No milk for me, vegan and soya milk REALLY doesn't work.
  • itboffin
    Aaaaagh - why did I even look at this thread! I've just started two weeks in the USA - I used to think countries could either make good tea (UK, China etc) or good coffee (Italy, France) but not both - the USA proves it is actually possible to be good at neither! :roll: :cry::cry::cry:

I found this situation so stressful when working in the USA that I now take my own filter kit wherever I go, sitting on the dock in the morning looking out over the Dalmatian islands with a mug of fresh Monmouth 8)

Croatia4.jpg

Or standing in my office on Time Sq watching the throng to-and-fro

:D
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Rapha coffee is by James in Wales http://www.jamesgourmetcoffee.com/ I think, not that i've tried it yet.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Think they've been mentioned before, but Origin Coffee in Helston do some interesting roasts.

http://www.origincoffee.co.uk/

I used to use a French Press at home, but now have one of these instead - find it works really well:

http://www.redcandy.co.uk/product-cafe- ... -maker.php

Probably not for the coffee purists though.
    FCN 3 / 4