Silly Commuter Coffee

1222324252628»

Comments

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    edited May 2020
    The aeropress has a rival. Has anyone used one of these?

https://rhinocoffeegear.com/delter-coffee-press.html

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Guys in the office used them. Swear they are much better than a French press cafetière.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    So my Delonghi incona machine finally gave up the ghost in lockdown, after 9 years of good service.

I'm in the hunt for another machine, but obvious, given what's going on, I don't want to spend a lot of money.

I could just get the same, or maybe the Delongi Dedica, but I wondered if the hivemind had any other ideas.

If it's worth it, the new sage bambino is an interesting idea, but it's £300, which is really £50-100 more than i'd like to be spending.

Does anyone have any decent suggestions?
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    edited July 2020
    Maybe not particularly helpful, but I/we splashed out on one of the larger Sage machines with a built in grinder - that must be a couple of years ago now. Very happy with it. If you already have a grinder, then I would think that the bambino will do what you need very effectively. My sage machine just works. Needs cleaning/descaling from time to time. It's so user friendly that my 9 year old uses it to make herself frothy milk for hot chocolate.

I'm sure you can use google, but https://coffeeblog.co.uk/sage-bambino-plus-review/ well reviewed.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The missus got rid of my filter machine with its thermos jug and bought one of those Sage machines. It makes decent enough coffee but it’s a right faff, making each individual cup and the mess is such that I spend more time cleaning it than drinking coffee.
  • rick_chasey
    webboo said:

The missus got rid of my filter machine with its thermos jug and bought one of those Sage machines. It makes decent enough coffee but it’s a right faff, making each individual cup and the mess is such that I spend more time cleaning it than drinking coffee.

I’m used to faff
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    webboo said:

That seems to be the case for most modern contraptions. Take blenders: Older blenders had a jug which was easy to rinse in seconds, they didn't chop onions, but there was a knife for that. The more modern multi-tasking food processors have half a dozen parts catching pieces of food that take ages to remove and get clean... to add insult to injury, you can't even stuff them in the dishwasher, as they are made of a plastic that crumbles if you do so. Our Kitchen Aid premium processor has been used once in the past 6 months... total waste of money.
    left the forum March 2023
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Aren't Sage just the Apple of ktichen devices - same quality as a reputable brand for 3 times the price?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316
    mrfpb said:

Aren't Sage just the Apple of ktichen devices - same quality as a reputable brand for 3 times the price?

What's the reputable brand version?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin
    I used a 2nd hand Gaggia Classic and an Iberital MC2 for several years happily Rick. Fine if you're happy with a bit of faff. Heard the new Gaggias aren't as good since the company was bought but don't know if that's correct. Just drinking filter these days.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

So my Delonghi incona machine finally gave up the ghost in lockdown, after 9 years of good service.

I'm in the hunt for another machine, but obvious, given what's going on, I don't want to spend a lot of money.

I could just get the same, or maybe the Delongi Dedica, but I wondered if the hivemind had any other ideas.

If it's worth it, the new sage bambino is an interesting idea, but it's £300, which is really £50-100 more than i'd like to be spending.

Does anyone have any decent suggestions?

Rick, we've got the Bambino Plus and it's a great little machine. Easy to use, easy to get consistent results and not too much bother from a cleaning perspective. The drip tray detaches to go in the washing up bowl and - having now done this once - the built in cleaning cycle works well.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pangolin said:

mrfpb said:

Depends on your budget. It is worth checking with companies like Ferrari Espresso for secondhand, fully serviced kit. You really need to get a decent burr grinder too as it will make all the difference in terms of taste and consistency. Coffee Forum UK may help to get you going.

Gratuitous grinder image:

Not a Giro Hero!
  • pangolin

pangolin said:

mrfpb said:

Depends on your budget. It is worth checking with companies like Ferrari Espresso for secondhand, fully serviced kit. You really need to get a decent burr grinder too as it will make all the difference in terms of taste and consistency. Coffee Forum UK may help to get you going.

Gratuitous grinder image:

The sage bambino gets good reviews and costs around £300. mrfpb was suggesting there is stuff of similar quality for 1/3 of the price.

Not seeing much on the Ferrari website for £100...
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • For £100 l suggest you buy a Mokka Pot and invest the rest in decent ground coffee. Or you could take a gamble on flea bay and find a a used SAGE Bambino or Duo Temp. Ask when it was last serviced.
    Not a Giro Hero!

• Has anyone bought one of these yet? I am thinking of upgrading from my Mokka Pot. This thing is an item of beauty.
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2020

For £100 l suggest you buy a Mokka Pot and invest the rest in decent ground coffee. Or you could take a gamble on flea bay and find a a used SAGE Bambino or Duo Temp. Ask when it was last serviced.

I bought a new bambino in the end. Picked one up for £350.

Was feeling sorry for myself after my brake & surgery and have saved more then expected in lockdown.

Wife will have to learn how to make it 👌🏻

It’s en route
  • rick_chasey

For £100 l suggest you buy a Mokka Pot and invest the rest in decent ground coffee. Or you could take a gamble on flea bay and find a a used SAGE Bambino or Duo Temp. Ask when it was last serviced.

I bought a new bambino in the end. Picked one up for £350.

Was feeling sorry for myself after my brake & surgery and have saved more then expected in lockdown.

Wife will have to learn how to make it 👌🏻

It’s en route
    Well I am a big fan. Am not one to be faffing around too much with things, but have strong opinions on coffee I like and coffee I don't.

The auto froth feature makes surprisingly good froth and is remarkably customisable - once it's dialled in the whole thing is incredibly easy to use with very little input, and the coffees it makes are really lovely.

Generally it's such a substantial upgrade in terms of quality of coffee I'm super pleased with it.

Even things like the auto purge and whatever feature it uses to stop that blast from the portafilter when you're making multiple coffees.

Not much need to worry about temperature surfing or whatever.

love it
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    I wonder if anyone on here using a Mazzer Super Jolly wants to give any advice on using this in a home setting primarily for espresso (Gaggia Classic machine) but maybe V60 also. I've a cheap burr grinder that I modded for a finer grind that has done me well for everything up till now but this became available very cheap so was snapped up. In using it domestically I obviously won't put the quantities of beans through it it's essentially designed for and I'm aware that this bring issues such as grounds retention. So far all I've done is see run some cheap beans through that I reckoned were just past their best and the end espresso result was not great, which wasn't a huge surprise. I've other fresh beans to try tomorrow.