Silly Commuter Coffee

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Monmouth coffee beans in house

I predict tomorrow is going to be a very productive day :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Gadge
    Gadge Posts: 135
    Nespresso is great but at 27p a pod it can add up quick

Anyone else tried recycling Nespresso pods?

It is dead easy. Just cut round the top and remove the old beans. Give it a rinse out.
    Fill with any coffee grind of YOUR choice. Then using a piece of aluminum foil make a new lid and fold it around the top.

Voila and more easy peasy than I have made it sound.
    You can reuse a pod at least twice after the original use.
    Give it a go.

There are plastic fillable pods available for sale. I have tried them and don't recommend you do. They get stuck and do not eject properly. Then you have to use a knife to eject them. Stick with recycling the originals which work perfectly.
    mkirby wrote:
    im allergic to caffeine. The smell alone tightens my chest and i gasp for air and you dont want to know what happens if i get any on my skin or swallow some. The girl from the exorcist has nothing on me.
    So am I, slightly. Don't let silly things like that get in the way of me and a good espresso.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Eeeeugh - I hate cafetiere coffee. Has to be espresso.
    +1 Cafetiere coffee sucks.
  • Gadge wrote:
    Nespresso is great but at 27p a pod it can add up quick

Anyone else tried recycling Nespresso pods?

It is dead easy. Just cut round the top and remove the old beans. Give it a rinse out.
    Fill with any coffee grind of YOUR choice. Then using a piece of aluminum foil make a new lid and fold it around the top.

Voila and more easy peasy than I have made it sound.
    You can reuse a pod at least twice after the original use.
    Give it a go.

There are plastic fillable pods available for sale. I have tried them and don't recommend you do. They get stuck and do not eject properly. Then you have to use a knife to eject them. Stick with recycling the originals which work perfectly.

This is very interesting information indeed...
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Tassimo Machine in the office. Not great coffee but a lot better than instant and a lot cleaner than filter....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • howie3472
    howie3472 Posts: 110
    felt like rubbish this morning 6 espreso's later and i felt on top off the world :D . ok my heart was also trying to leave my body, who needs that any way. now at work and only have a cafetiere :( better than nothing
    Trek 1.2
    FCN 5
  • itboffin
    howie3472 wrote:
    felt like rubbish this morning 6 espreso's later and i felt on top off the world :D . ok my heart was also trying to leave my body, who needs that any way. now at work and only have a cafetiere :( better than nothing

:lol:

Are you sure you're at work? you might actually be having a MASSHOOF caffeine based episode :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • howie3472
    well i hope so as i keep talking to the person im on shift with and he keeps answering me. but you could have a point :shock:
    Trek 1.2
    FCN 5
  • itboffin
    howie3472 wrote:
    well i hope so as i keep talking to the person im on shift with and he keeps answering me. but you could have a point :shock:

Living in Andover I don't suppose you're a member of any of the local cycle clubs are you ...?
  • Instant 'so-called' coffee is just coffee flavoured, caffinated, warm beverage.
    If you want coffee, drink coffee :?
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • My favourite coffee is Musetti and our office has a full Gaggia Barista machine. Cappucino in the morning- espresso in the afternoon. The question is what is an unreasonable amount of decent coffee a day?
    FCN 4
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Grantstats wrote:
    My favourite coffee is Musetti and our office has a full Gaggia Barista machine. Cappucino in the morning- espresso in the afternoon. The question is what is an unreasonable amount of decent coffee a day?

Less than two is unreasonable.

Cheers,
    W.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Instant 'so-called' coffee is just caffeinated, warm beverage.
    If you want coffee, drink coffee :?
    FTFY
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    Grantstats wrote:
    My favourite coffee is Musetti and our office has a full Gaggia Barista machine. Cappucino in the morning- espresso in the afternoon. The question is what is an unreasonable amount of decent coffee a day?

Less than two is unreasonable.

Cheers,
    W.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I want coffee NOW :evil:
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    My IRoast is a std 240v job, does the job - i certainly don't claim to be a complete coffee geek/expert but what it produces exceeds most shop-bought beans. Has Bean do supply great roasted beans but 1 drawback is that wither you but regularly (incurring postage costs each time) or buy loads at a time and then the freshness isn't there. Greens allows pretty long term storage. I'm currently getting greens from Brodies of Edinburgh athough I have a contact for these and am not sure if they sell relatively small qty to the public.
    The smell of roasting beans is one other great benefit - sets the smoke alarm off in the house tho' so it gets done in the garage, alongside the bikes !
    I think both my grinder and Gaggia need some attention as espresso I am getting at the end isn't quite up to scratch but it's still better thaan alternatives.

Roasting, once you've got hold of green beans, is dead easy - I used to use a popcorn machine, Aldi or Lidl sometimes sell them at around £10. They do tend to start overheating a bit so beware of them getting a little too hot as the roasting time is probably over that for corn.
  • howie3472
    itboffin wrote:
    howie3472 wrote:

Living in Andover I don't suppose you're a member of any of the local cycle clubs are you ...?

I occasionally go out with the behind the bike sheds shop culb but hope to be going out more with them soon. how about you?
    Trek 1.2
    FCN 5
  • itboffin
    howie3472 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    howie3472 wrote:

I occasionally go out with the behind the bike sheds shop culb but hope to be going out more with them soon. how about you?

I signed up with them but haven't been yet i'm also considering Chippenham wheelers, they have a fair few weekend rides over my way.
  • itboffin
    Sitting in bed with a pot of freshly Monmouth coffee, listening to radio 2

8)

Just time for a bit of online shopping before the day kicks off
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Waitrose seem to have stopped selling my fave Ethiopean coffee...argh.
    Am currently having the Kenyan bean which i grind at home :) but this is no substitute for the amazingly fruity and aromatic Sidamo coffee from Ethiopia!!
  • itboffin
    I had a 2nd pot of tesco finest beans about an hour ago, did not compare to Monmouth
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    How much is that Monmouth stuff? Their website says they can do mail order but says it such a way as to suggest they'd want my firstborn in return.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,623
    moonio wrote:
    Waitrose seem to have stopped selling my fave Ethiopean coffee...argh.
    Am currently having the Kenyan bean which i grind at home :) but this is no substitute for the amazingly fruity and aromatic Sidamo coffee from Ethiopia!!

Mrs RJS found a tasty Ethiopian from Co-op, which might be a worthy substitute. 'Twas nice even from the filter machine.

EDIT: They've probably got it at the Co-op on Old Street, which isn't too far way for you IIRC.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    davis wrote:
    How much is that Monmouth stuff? Their website says they can do mail order but says it such a way as to suggest they'd want my firstborn in return.

Not that bad really depends on the beans and weight, they have lots :D
  • howie3472
    itboffin wrote:
    howie3472 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    howie3472 wrote:

I signed up with them but haven't been yet i'm also considering Chippenham wheelers, they have a fair few weekend rides over my way.

if you ever do decide to go out with behind the bike sheds club ride drop us a line and I will try an make it as well
    Trek 1.2
    FCN 5
  • itboffin
    Am I worried that I just brewed the last of my Monmouth coffee ....?

er no! :evil: :x :cry:
  • itboffin
    howie3472 you got PM
  • howie3472
    itboffin wrote:
    howie3472 you got PM
    yes just seen it
    Trek 1.2
    FCN 5
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    davis wrote:
    It's #2.20 for 100g for their espresso blend I think, less if you buy 500g or more, other roasts vary but similar
  • itboffin
    They do mail order, result :wink: