Cost of repairs and other rising cycling costs

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    [Thing is I never rode that bike to the kind of distances or the level of frequency I do my current bike.

The more you demand from the bike in terms of performance and distance, the more the bike will need to be maintained to be safe.

If the casual cyclist is just riding a distance I could walk in an hour (Norbury - Croydon, 2.5 miles) then sure, they probably will never need to incur such costs. But if, say they ride 10miles+ a day (and the current vogue is to cycle2work everyday) then chances are they're going to need a visit to the bike shop at some point.

Yes, I totally agree, but I think someone riding 100+ miles per week is out of the 'casual cyclist' bracket.

Anyway, road bikes are cheap to keep going :wink:, a mountain bike with suspension at both ends that needs servicing every year, along with hydraulic brakes that need bleeding, frame bearings that have to be replaced, different tyres for every type of surface, and that's before you start falling off and breakng stuff.....:lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Couldn't agree less with the original post here....

I don't have a car, but my partner uses hers for work at £45 per week fuel.... that's at least £2000 without MOT, tax, insurance, servicing and any trips in the car outside of work!!!!

£249 is steep (although you don't mention the quality of components that your bike store is offering), as a bloke talking, have a go yourself! Last year I replaced BB, chainset, chain, cassette, pads and cables for no more than £150, including the BB tool, crank puller, cassette tool and grease!!! Now I have the tools for life, and replace the parts when needed - probably need to throw £70 at my bike every 2 years.... OK so I'm only buying entry level shimano drivetrain and clarkes unviersal brake spares but it does fine for my 30 miles per week commute in all conditions...

I use chainreactioncycles.com for parts.

RJH
  • bails87
    RJHazell
    I'd agree with that. I was lucky enough to get a massive toolkit from ProBikeKit for about £30 a while ago, it's been well worth it. If it vanished I'd happily pay double to get it again. It's not just the money, but the convenience. I don't have to think about taking the bike to the LBS and waiting until the next weekend to get it back (they're shut by the time I could get there after work). Now if a cable/BB/cassette/chain needs replacing, I can just do it when I've got a spare half an hour.
    MTB/CX

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited January 2011
    DDD

I've lost track of what you are complaining about

I think you have too

Yeah. I do that. Mile a minute type of mind. OK to recap and probably conclude (for my sake).

Went to a bike shop to ask for a full service, which would have cost £120 + parts. With parts (chainring, cassette, chain, cables and rear mech tweaked) the job would have come to £250 (As the bike shop man said the price he started the sentence with "ouch" and ended the sentence with "I'm afraid" this indicated to me that he also thought it a tad expensive).

I found £250 a little too steep so I then got a gear service and the same parts for £150. This I still found steep. I was expecting the full service and parts to cost this much. (All that said the guy did a superb job, threw in a free chainring and the bike rides as good as new).

Now I'm pretty dedicated to cycling so I paid for the work. However, anymore expensive and I would have refused. I fear that due to ever increasing prices shops will lose my custom - part of the reason I go to this shop is that they're good and I like supporting them.

I also got to thinking that if the prices involved with cycling (thats bikes, parts, servicing, clothing) continue this trend of increasing (the equivalent Giant SCR3 is now £300 - £400 more expensive. Its £600 for a Defy 3 with Shimano 2300 and Tektro brakes!) then this would likely create a barrier of entry for any new would be cyclists or the casual cyclist looking to dip their toe for something more exciting. This all came about when I told my Uncle he should expect to spend about £300 on a decent bike and he baulked. The lay person doesn't expect cycling to cost as much as it potentially can.

Yes there is a cycling boom in England but if these price increases continue I fear the bubble will burst and boom turns into crash. This was exemplified by the bike shop man today telling me that he asked the Charge (bikes) rep how he can justify charging £600 for a their standard single speed bike.

Things are getting expensive and yes cycling doesn't have to be expensive, but there was a time when you didn't have to go to such lengths to keep the cost down. I want to get back to that. Part of the reasons I bought into this cycling malarky was because it wasn't expensive, I bought my tiagra/sora mix bike for £350 (there close to £1000 now) and off I went. Soon after I had the clothes, computer, shoes pedals and a carbon bike (bought the same week I bought my car).

If I was getting into cycling now I would be less enthused due to the cost.

I don't think there is a single right answer or a definitive solution. There are too many variables: supply and demand, running costs, exchange rates, VAT increases, recession and ultimately what people are willing to spend someone will ultimately be willing sell.

But it bothers me when I am close to being priced out of the past time I enjoy more and more and I wonder; If I feel this way what about those less passionate than me about cycling but who also make up the cycling community as well?

So I ranted.

Make sense.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Carried out a full service on my father's bike as a an xmas present.

Complete strip of all parts cleaned, greased or lubed.

Replaced all cables, cassette and chain for the princely sum of £30! Gotta love Ebay!

Granted the parts were lower end Shimano parts but they'll last another year.

If you find the costs associated to much turn to the classifieds and sell it all or have a go yourself. Learning to fettle is a real pleasure and will make you feel more involved with the bike.

I love the fact I built my Canyon from a pile of parts gives a greater satisfaction when riding it.

As for saying cycling is a cheap past time if your into higher end gear it most certainly isn't and it's a cost you have to bare.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DDD

I've lost track of what you are complaining about

I think you have too

Yeah. I do that. Mile a minute type of mind. OK to recap and probably conclude (for my sake).

Went to a bike shop to ask for a full service, which would have cost £120 + parts. With parts (chainring, cassette, chain, cables and rear mech tweaked) the job would have come to £250 (As the bike shop man said the price he started the sentence with "ouch" and ended the sentence with "I'm afraid" this indicated to me that he also thought it a tad expensive).

I found £250 a little too steep so I then got a gear service and the same parts for £150. This I still found steep. I was expecting the full service and parts to cost this much. (All that said the guy did a superb job, threw in a free chainring and the bike rides as good as new).

Now I'm pretty dedicated to cycling so I paid for the work. However, anymore expensive and I would have refused. I fear that due to ever increasing prices shops will lose my custom - part of the reason I go to this shop is that they're good and I like supporting them.

I also got to thinking that if the prices involved with cycling (thats bikes, parts, servicing, clothing) continue this trend of increasing (the equivalent Giant SCR3 is now £300 - £400 more expensive. Its £600 for a Defy 3 with Shimano 2300 and Tektro brakes!) then this would likely create a barrier of entry for any new would be cyclists or the casual cyclist looking to dip their toe for something more exciting. This all came about when I told my Uncle he should expect to spend about £300 on a decent bike and he baulked. The lay person doesn't expect cycling to cost as much as it potentially can.

Yes there is a cycling boom in England but if these price increases continue I fear the bubble will burst and boom turns into crash. This was exemplified by the bike shop man today telling me that he asked the Charge (bikes) rep how he can justify charging £600 for a their standard single speed bike.

Things are getting expensive and yes cycling doesn't have to be expensive, but there was a time when you didn't have to go to such lengths to keep the cost down. I want to get back to that. Part of the reasons I bought into this cycling malarky was because it wasn't expensive, I bought my tiagra/sora mix bike for £350 (there close to £1000 now) and off I went. Soon after I had the clothes, computer, shoes pedals and a carbon bike (bought the same week I bought my car).

If I was getting into cycling now I would be less enthused due to the cost.

I don't think there is a single right answer or a definitive solution. There are too many variables: supply and demand, running costs, exchange rates, VAT increases, recession and ultimately what people are willing to spend someone will ultimately be willing sell.

But it bothers me when I am close to being priced out of the past time I enjoy more and more and I wonder; If I feel this way what about those less passionate than me about cycling but who also make up the cycling community as well?

So I ranted.

Make sense.

I'm not sure TWH's comment was an invite for an exhaustive summary!

Anyway, you seem to miss (or refuse to acknowledge) the point that there is a spectrum of riders and a spectrum of bikes to suit. Thousands of cyclists (or cycle-users, for those who feel the term 'cyclist' can't be all-encompassing) are happy with BSOs and no maintenance at all. Most casual cyclists won't even be aware of the concept of ongoing maintenance.

For the people considering paying a few hundred pounds for a good starter bike, it's worth remembering that spending on kit for any new hobby is expensive. The econimic environment will effect any such purchases - this isn't unique to cycling. And they're unlikely to compare toady's price to what they could have paid a few years ago anyway.

For those of us that are more serious about cycling, yes, of course it's frustrating that costs go up. The vast majority, however, reconcile this by searching for best prices, buying last-year's model in the sale, or - and here's the big saver - learning to peform our own maintenance. I did exactly that as an early-teen, before I was earning a salary. Pick up a bike maintenance book instead of a comic, or take a look at the vids on youtube instead of watching Star Trek. It'll save you bundles of cash.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    In 2010 I rode my MTB on average 4 times a week from the end of Feb through to the End of Oct, 7 months riding.

This was a mix of on- and off-road, overall approximately 2000+ miles

Running costs (cassettes, chains, cables, brake pads, tyres) came to around £150
    I don't always go for the cheapest stuff, otherwise it could have been less.

Labour costs were a big fat zero as I do all my own wrenching.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    "Pick up a bike maintenance book instead of a comic, or take a look at the vids on youtube instead of watching Star Trek. It'll save you bundles of cash."

....when I laced my rear rim onto a flipflop hub early in the summer I referred to a book entitled 'Building bicycle wheels'......bought when I was probably thirteen (and that was a looooooooong time ago!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    edited January 2011
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Most casual cyclists won't even be aware of the concept of ongoing maintenance

+1

Used my old Marin Bear Valley MTB for years and years as a commuter, first of all back at home at my parents and then after moving to London from Archway, Turnpike Lane and finally the Docklands into the middle.

The only upgrade I did on the thing was put new tires on after the old ones wore through after a good six years! The only 'love' the bike got was an occasional wipe down, the tires were kept inflated and the chain was lubricated every now and then. Looking back I can't decide if I should be embarrassed that's all I did or not...!

EDIT: Should probably add that I've since got in on the road bike 'craze' that the papers love, although only since January 2010. Spent a bloody fortune but only 'cos I want to and a lot of it's been on new gear rather than on the bike (although the replacement of a groupset on day ten of a LEJOG in Chester was a pricy day!). Have a feeling this year I'll be far more frugal...
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • DonDaddyD
    I need this work done and my flat makes it difficult to do it myself.

Just saying, I did explain five pages ago....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Monkeypump
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yes, thought you might bring that up. You seem to have difficulty parting with the cash too, but you've managed it.

I suspect that you'd be fine. We don't all have shiny, fully-equipped workshops at our disposal. I've managed almost all my own bike maintenance for more than 20 years (oh dear... now feeling old) in various kitchens, sheds, gardens, flats, houses, etc. which have often been far from ideal. I've often thought "I need a workstand", but very rarely "I should pay someone else to do this".
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    DonDaddyD wrote:

....plus if you put any small bits down make sure they go in a screw-lid pot otherwise the mice might nick them!

Seriously though, there are very few jobs that can't be done over newspaper on a kitchen table. Even clamp-on table top vices are cheap as chips.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • DonDaddyD
    edited January 2011
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Anyway, you seem to miss (or refuse to acknowledge) the point that there is a spectrum of riders
    And
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Yes, thought you might bring that up. You seem to have difficulty parting with the cash too, but you've managed it.

It appears that you seem to miss the point that while you might have 'managed' there is a spectrum of people living with circumstances that make them unable to manage (in this case carrying out bicycle repairs at home).

I think that you will just have to accept that (at this time) carrying out repairs in my flat is impractical/difficult (for whatever reasons, they are justifiable to me) and therefore I opted to get a bike shop to do the work.

I was stunned by the cost, hence the thread.

The thread was supposed to be about the rising costs and less so about my ability to or the practicalities surrounding repairing my own bike.

I concede that doing repairs yourself is the best option and to be honest I enjoy doing it. But in this instance, I needed my bike fixed and checked and I wanted it done ahead of when I start work.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Monkeypump wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I suspect that you'd be fine. We don't all have shiny, fully-equipped workshops at our disposal. I've managed almost all my own bike maintenance for more than 20 years (oh dear... now feeling old) in various kitchens, sheds, gardens, flats, houses, etc. which have often been far from ideal. I've often thought "I need a workstand", but very rarely "I should pay someone else to do this".

Careful.... you'll upset him!

(Uh oh....too late!)
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    One of the main things I've noticed about cycling in this country compared Holland is the type of bikes people use. In Holland most people have upright town bikes with closed drivechains and hub gears. Its only in this country that the majority have mountain, hybrid or road bikes. They're far higher maintenance with dérailleurs and exposed chains. More mess, more hassle. I have a friend who has an old dutch sit up and beg, its been pretty much maintenance free for 15 years. Rides like a tank, but gets her relatively smoothly from a-b and doesn't require a yearly service.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    notsoblue wrote:
    One of the main things I've noticed about cycling in this country compared Holland is the type of bikes people use. In Holland most people have upright town bikes with closed drivechains and hub gears. Its only in this country that the majority have mountain, hybrid or road bikes. They're far higher maintenance with dérailleurs and exposed chains. More mess, more hassle. I have a friend who has an old dutch sit up and beg, its been pretty much maintenance free for 15 years. Rides like a tank, but gets her relatively smoothly from a-b and doesn't require a yearly service.

And The Netherlands have no hills, decent roads and allot of pedestrian/bike zones.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    gtvlusso wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

And The Netherlands have no hills, decent roads and allot of pedestrian/bike zones.

Well I'm being a bit London centric here. And Zone 1-2 at that. Flat as a pancake here. Anyway, my point was that most people are riding around on relatively high maintenance bikes that they don't really need for the type of riding they do. The trend here is to get a mountainbike/hybrid with front suspension for a commute to work. Thats just how the market is. Most bike shops in Zone 1 will only stock a couple town bikes like Pashleys, and they'll usually be more expensive than their entry level hybrid/mountainbike.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    notsoblue wrote:
    Well I'm being a bit London centric here. And Zone 1-2 at that. Flat as a pancake here. Anyway, my point was that most people are riding around on relatively high maintenance bikes that they don't really need for the type of riding they do. The trend here is to get a mountainbike/hybrid with front suspension for a commute to work. Thats just how the market is. Most bike shops in Zone 1 will only stock a couple town bikes like Pashleys, and they'll usually be more expensive than their entry level hybrid/mountainbike.

Flat - except for the potholes!
  • bails87
    DDD, out of interest, where do you keep your bike(s)? If you've got space in the house where you store them, can't you work on them there? And if there's a space outside (garden/communal courtyard/car park) then you could work on them there couldn't you.

Just trying to save you money :wink:
    MTB/CX

• DonDaddyD
    bails87 wrote:
    DDD, out of interest, where do you keep your bike(s)? If you've got space in the house where you store them, can't you work on them there? And if there's a space outside (garden/communal courtyard/car park) then you could work on them there couldn't you.

Just trying to save you money :wink:

Thanks

Bike is kept indoors, I don't really have an outdoor bit to work on the bike.

'No repairs in the flat' scenario is temporary situation. I fully expect to be getting my toolkit out later in the year...
    Food Chain number = 4

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    No excuses.
    Just put a sheet down to catch the bits that roll under the fridge.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    antfly wrote:
    No excuses.

Agreed. Anything can be done anywhere providing you prepare properly. A decent thick plastic dust sheet down and away you go. If you wanted to be posh you could put the sheet on the bed and then you have a nice comfy work surface to work on.

If I could manage to strip, clean and rebuild a motocycle in my 1st floor flat then you can work on a little push bike!

S3400282.jpg

S3400283.jpg
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • Monkeypump
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Anyway, you seem to miss (or refuse to acknowledge) the point that there is a spectrum of riders
    And
    Monkeypump wrote:

It appears that you seem to miss the point that while you might have 'managed' there is a spectrum of people living with circumstances that make them unable to manage (in this case carrying out bicycle repairs at home).

I think that you will just have to accept that (at this time) carrying out repairs in my flat is impractical/difficult (for whatever reasons, they are justifiable to me) and therefore I opted to get a bike shop to do the work.

I was stunned by the cost, hence the thread.

The thread was supposed to be about the rising costs and less so about my ability to or the practicalities surrounding repairing my own bike.

I concede that doing repairs yourself is the best option and to be honest I enjoy doing it. But in this instance, I needed my bike fixed and checked and I wanted it done ahead of when I start work.

I think we all agree that costs are rising and nobody likes it. I wouldn't necessarily agree that it puts people off cycling any more than any other hobby where an initial outlay is required.

My point (perhaps more succinctly put by Bails87) is that if you've got room to store bikes (and I know this is plural in your case), you should have room to work on them if you put some thought into it. If there is some other circumstance that prevents this, you should have mentioned it.

Now I'd never suggest that you'd start a thread just because you like the (forum equivalent of the) sound of your own voice, but you're rather making a meal of an issue the rest of us seem to find a way around.
  • Monkeypump
    chunkytfg wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    No excuses.

Agreed. Anything can be done anywhere providing you prepare properly. A decent thick plastic dust sheet down and away you go. If you wanted to be posh you could put the sheet on the bed and then you have a nice comfy work surface to work on.

If I could manage to strip, clean and rebuild a motocycle in my 1st floor flat then you can work on a little push bike!

S3400282.jpg

S3400283.jpg

Did you try and bring the bike in through the window??? :wink:
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    Monkeypump wrote:
    chunkytfg wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    No excuses.

[i
    Did you try and bring the bike in through the window??? :wink:

No to be fair I stripped it in the parking space and then carried the bits up the stairs!

If you are referring to the smashed window though then that was done a couple of months after the windows were fitted. the window 'settled' and meant the window would catch when you tried to open it. I hit it a bit hard with the palm of my hand! :lol:
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    'No repairs in the flat' scenario is temporary situation. I fully expect to be getting my toolkit out later in the year...

Fella, women don't change their minds

When she says "You're not doing *that* *there*" she means it
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    DonDaddyD wrote:

{smut mode on} are you still talking about bikes? {smut mode off}
  • DonDaddyD
    Monkeypump wrote:

I think we all agree that costs are rising and nobody likes it. I wouldn't necessarily agree that it puts people off cycling any more than any other hobby where an initial outlay is required.

It would me and a few people I've spoken to recently who have wanted to get a bike. What I've noticed is that this is now a range of people from beginners to people looking for their second carbon fibre bike. Cost and additional costs are putting them off (in my experience). I thought to share that here to read what others have to say.
    My point (perhaps more succinctly put by Bails87) is that if you've got room to store bikes (and I know this is plural in your case), you should have room to work on them if you put some thought into it. If there is some other circumstance that prevents this, you should have mentioned it.

To be honest, I don't really want to discuss my personal circumstances beyond stating I

DDD wrote I need this work done and my flat makes it difficult to do it myself.

In my mind the above should be enough.
    Now I'd never suggest that you'd start a thread just because you like the (forum equivalent of the) sound of your own voice, but you're rather making a meal of an issue the rest of us seem to find a way around.

I don't see why you feel that this bit is necessary. It is needlessly unpleasent. It makes me regret, yet again, engaging with you. It's like you are incapable of being 100% socially nice/polite.

Think of it this way, would you say that to my face in the pub where I'd most likely shout down the crap out of you for saying it? No. Then why do you think it is acceptible here?
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    W1 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

{smut mode on} are you still talking about bikes? {smut mode off}

Somethings she can be swayed on... :wink:
    Food Chain number = 4

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Some great innuendo in this thread, DDD why are you waiting until later in the year to "get your toolkit out", is that after the shotgun wedding you're planning?!

As for bike repairs, are you seriously saying you don't have any friends / family with a garage / backyard? Couldn't you just ride round to your parents' one weekend with a bag of tools and do it then?