Cost of repairs and other rising cycling costs

Comments

• if you use light alloy parts and high millage you will wear though them, pronto.

same goes for tyres etc.

the type of bike shop differs go to a bike shop with a big glass front etc, then i'm sure a full service is £*** but go to a smaller older just bike shop and they tend to be cheaper as thats what they do, they don't sell many bikes but they do service and repair them.

I don't pay £300 a year for my bikes, yes I do put the odd brake pad and oil/clean chains and what not. but only minor stuff.
  • The best preventative "maintenance" you can do to a bike is fit proper mudguards and a front mudflap long enough to block spray being thrown from the front tyre onto the chainwheels (which carries road dirt onto the rest of the gears). Your brake arms, shoes, pedals, reflectors, lights, etc. will also stay clean.

Proper mudguards block spray being thrown up into the headset and seatpost, I'm not sure if those "gappy" mudguards designed for road bikes do this.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rhext wrote:
    Why would I waste time and effort trying to prove it? At that price, you're obviously not going for budget parts from a back-street LBS. Did you try shopping around? Did you ask them if there were options to fit cheaper parts? If you take one price point and draw conclusions for the whole of the industry, don't expect people not to argue a bit!

So to clarify.

1). You can't prove your claim that I've chosen "high end parts".

2). Your best defence for this is to claim that trying to prove it so would be a waste of time. :roll: How about being a man and admitting you assumed too much?

3). You then continue to defend your position by spouting more ill-thought out assumptions about my choice of LBS. :roll: If you ran into a wall and it hurt would you run into it again?

In answer to your questions Yes, yes and no. In fact in my first post I indicated that the original quote was £250 and the quote I left with was £150.

But I'll tell you what, how about I don't waste my time responding to you anymore.

Pathetic.

Goodness me. I must apologise: I didn't realise I need to spell it out. Of course it was an assumption! For it to be anything else, I'd have to have actually researched some aspect of your life and, to be honest, I don't care that much.

So if the measure of a man is someone who doesn't make assumptions then I have to hold my hand up: clearly I'm pathetic. If, on the other hand, it's someone who puts bread on the table, a roof over their family's heads, gives their kids the best start in life that they can, and makes a positive contribution to society, even if that sometimes means they don't get to buy all the toys they want, then frankly I've seen nothing which leads me to assume you've got anything to teach me in that respect.
  • rhext
    My advice is to take up Mountain Biking. Given how badly a single muddy ride can screw up your bike, you have to find out out to maintain it or it'll bankrupt you.

Singlespeeds FTW. Get bike out of garage. Bounce it a few times to shake off excess dried mud. Ride. Smile. Repeat.

During my trip to Cannock on Sunday, I spent the last hour of the ride listening to my gears skipping around all over the place and working out what parts I'd need to do the conversion ;-)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited January 2011
    rhext wrote:
    So if the measure of a man is someone who doesn't make assumptions then I have to hold my hand up: clearly I'm pathetic. If, on the other hand, it's someone who puts bread on the table, a roof over their family's heads, gives their kids the best start in life that they can, and makes a positive contribution to society, even if that sometimes means they don't get to buy all the toys they want, then frankly I've seen nothing which leads me to assume you've got anything to teach me in that respect.

Hahahaha

I know! Lets stand in a line, get LiT to measure. Chest expanded lets square up. Pathetic.

Beyond what little I share on this website you know very little about all that I provide, all that I do and what I contribute. Again you assume too much and it makes blindingly clear your arrogance and outstanding ignorance. Learn something; What I do is not dismiss other experiences to my own. I understand that that the World and life is only perception and there is always something to learn.

Understand? Good, back you. Really, should I suddenly look up to you? Siimply because you somehow manage to do what the vast majority of soceity does. There are people less able to do the above and others more so. I'm not blinkered enough to understand that you can never fully define the measure of a person Man or Female. :roll:

And for a Man you seemingly struggle to 'man-up', admit mistake and then shutup.

I'll wait eagerly for your response.

Anywho bicycle forum, bicycle thread and somehow, by miracle, a DDD topic about an aspect of cycling :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    Deja Vu
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rhext
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Hahahaha

I know! Lets stand in a line, get LiT to measure. Chest expanded lets square up. Pathetic.

Seriously.... should I suddenly look up to you because you somehow manage to do what the vast majority of soceity does. There are people less able to do the above and others more so. I'm Worldly enough to understand that you cacn never fully define the measure of a person Man or Female. :roll:

And for a Man you seemingly struggle to 'man-up', admit mistake and then shutup.

I'll wait eagerly for your response.

Anywho bicycle forum, bicycle thread and somehow, by miracle, a DDD topic about an aspect of cycling :shock:

...and to think that you promised me that you wouldn't respond to any more of my posts. Clearly your word isn't worth the electronic paper it's printed on!

Seriously, you don't need to respond: it's enough for me to know that you're crying inside :lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    edited January 2011
    rhext wrote:

Yes because this [below] is a blinding example of maturity and manhood.

Those who you provide food, shelter and the best start to must be very proud.
    rhext wrote:
    ...and to think that you promised me that you wouldn't respond to any more of my posts. Clearly your word isn't worth the electronic paper it's printed on!

Seriously, you don't need to respond: it's enough for me to know that you're crying inside
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    EKE wrote:
    If I was a fair weather cyclist I would have baulked at paying well over 50% of the cost of the bike for a service.

Nail head really.

but by that point you're already into cycling... When you buy your bike no one ever considers maintenance costs (like you might a plush car, running costs are more to the forefront of your mind) it's all about grams and will this make me faster...

So once you're in and you've ridden the crapola out of your bike letting it get to the point where severe maintenance is required. you can pay up or stop cycling a bike that works

It's your choice
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD
    EKE wrote:
    If I was a fair weather cyclist I would have baulked at paying well over 50% of the cost of the bike for a service.

Nail head really.
    Food Chain number = 4

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    EKE wrote:

Nail head really.

Well, not really, that cost was for replacement parts not the service. The service was free. Also the bike wasn't even cleaned. I wouldn't trust the word of a bicycle mechanic that told me I needed to replace parts on a 6 week old bike without having even cleaned it. The point here is that Decathlon do a rubbish service and mislead their customers, not that the cost of servicing and maintaining is becoming more expensive...
  • DonDaddyD
    Clever Pun wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    EKE wrote:

Nail head really.

but by that point you're already into cycling... When you buy your bike no one ever considers maintenance costs (like you might a plush car, running costs are more to the forefront of your mind) it's all about grams and will this make me faster...

So once you're in and you've ridden the crapola out of your bike letting it get to the point where severe maintenance is required. you can pay up or stop cycling a bike that works

It's your choice

So you don't think that the additional and increasingly rising costs circling around riding the actual bike do little to encourage or deter a person from cycling.

I think it does to some people. But then I suppose not everyone will buy into the past-time as we have.

I do however, think that acessories, servicing and such have a duty to moderate their prices to not push or price the casual or fairweather cyclist out.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Clever Pun
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    EKE wrote:

Nail head really.

It's your choice

So you don't think that the additional and increasingly rising costs circling around riding the actual bike do little to encourage or deter a person from cycling.

I think it does to some people. But then I suppose not everyone will buy into the past-time as we have.

I do however, think that acessories, servicing and such have a duty to moderate their prices to not push or price the casual or fairweather cyclist out.

wouldn't that be nice, but you're aware of supply and demand right? there's loads more cyclists out there, many without a clue (think of bike forums/clubs as the tip of the iceberg)and since there's loads of us bike shops time is taken up more and more and as such they can charge more (plus they have rising costs to cover as well)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • rhext
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Yes because this [below] is a blinding example of maturity and manhood.

Yours must be very proud.

I think they are quite proud. They don't attach a great deal of importance to internet debates, for a start. And I manage the important stuff quite well.

Seriously though, if you drag a debate down into the gutter with an ad hominem attack (you can google it), you have to expect [/i]some pushback.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    EKE wrote:

Nail head really.

It's your choice

When you look at other forms of commuting transport (presumably the most usual entry reason for a new cyclist?) then they'd have to put their prices up by a l lot more to make it more expensive than PT (for example). That's not to say that I don't agree with you though - I think that the cost of "cycling" gear is incredible.
  • W1 wrote:
    ... I think that the cost of "cycling" gear is incredible.
    Historically, the real cost of bicycles and parts has fallen dramatically due to ongoing improvements in mass production and economies of scale due to globalisation. Labour costs don't follow those trends, however.
  • tailwindhome
    Funny thing cost....

Chip shop tea for family - no change out of £20

Large Free Range chicken too expensive at about £10

Pair of 'label' jeans - £100

Pair of cycling shorts run of the mill brand (eg DHB) £40- £50

Carbon fibre bike to do a couple of weekend runs and 1 or 2 sportives a year - £1500

Service on a bike running all year in all weather doing about 5k a year - £250

People have funny attitudes.

[/directionless ramble]
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    Clever Pun wrote:

wouldn't that be nice, but you're aware of supply and demand right? there's loads more cyclists out there, many without a clue (think of bike forums/clubs as the tip of the iceberg)and since there's loads of us bike shops time is taken up more and more and as such they can charge more (plus they have rising costs to cover as well)

They can charge more. Doesn't mean they have to.
    TWH wrote:
    Funny thing cost....

Chip shop tea for family - no change out of £20

Large Free Range chicken too expensive at about £10

Pair of 'label' jeans - £100

Pair of cycling shorts run of the mill brand (eg DHB) £40- £50

Carbon fibre bike to do a couple of weekend runs and 1 or 2 sportives a year - £1500

Service on a bike running all year in all weather doing about 5k a year - £250

People have funny attitudes.

Fair point. And if this was the Kharma I wouldn't give it a second thought. But, and I suppose this is the problem with bikes, the repair/service often doesn't reflect the value of the bike. This making a £150 repair on a £350 bike seem expensive and the same work/cost on a £1850 bike appear cheap.

PS. Who still buys 'label' jeans? I top out at around £45.
    Food Chain number = 4

• motdoc
    motdoc Posts: 97
    Tank of petrol £60 (small car)
    Insurance £400
    Etc etc etc

PS If you take your bike in clean they may take the pi55 less.
    Arrrrr I be in Devon.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I support your point DDD. It does get to the point where repairs cost so much that perfectly good bikes are probably not work sinking more money into. I have an old Reynolds frame that I can't part with because of this issue. Seems criminal to junk it.

Bikes seem to be following the trend as per household goods where white goods or TVs get sent to the tip because parts costing small amounts are too costly to fit.

In terms of what LBSs should charge, then they should make their prices as high as they can without losing profitable customers. That's the point of being in business. I do however wonder if the manufacturers are that interested in selling individual parts anyway when they can sell direct to bike builders in bulk.
  • robz400
    robz400 Posts: 160

I do :oops:

Got a few pairs of Diesel jeans that I love, fit amazingly and look great :D
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    robz400 wrote:

I didn't think Diesel jeans cost much more than £45, unless you go to Selfridges to buy them
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    robz400 wrote:

+1

I've struggled in the past to get jeans that I like and fit. With diesel it's easy. Timeizmunneemyfren
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    DonDaddyD wrote:

People always want something for nothing
    How often do people ask you about buying a bike for "less than 100 quid, a good one"

Lots of people buy a shit BSO from Asda for £99.99, ride it once and then let it rust in the shed for a few years until it becomes landfill. The cost per mile for that bike is much, much higher than you or I would ever pay.

The real fair weather cyclist won't need any maintenance on their bike other than a bit of 3:1 oil from Poundland. If the bike is being ridden, parts will wear and will need fixing.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. To believe that a bike is not subject to the usual costs of use, wear and tear is a fantasy.

Your complaint is that the rates that bike shops charge are too much. An acquaintance of mine is an legend of long distance cycling. But he is not blessed with qualifications or work skills. He says that although he can fix any bike problem quickly and efficiently it is not worth his while working as a bike shop mechanic. He can make more per hour cutting sheet metal on a production line. So on the other side of the fence, they say it's too cheap
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I took my bike to the LBS for its annual service.

Feeling flush I ask the guy for a full service... £249 inc parts he estimated (cassette, chain, chainring and cables). So back down to just a gear service then. £149 inc parts he estimated. I bought the bike in July 2008 for £350. Keep in mind that I rode more miles and did less maintenance in 2009 and the cost for a gear service, chain, cassette and brakes was £60, which I thought was expensive.

I need this work done and my flat makes it difficult to do it myself.

Do you really need this work done? if the chainring really needed replacing, then it will simply wear the chain and cassette out.

I'd be very weary of any bike shop that tried that trick. in fact the chances of myself being back are below zero.

bike parts do not wear out for the fact of just being older and oily, though in that state will wear in use.

I change bike parts as and when they are worn, the bike is such a simple device really.
  • DonDaddyD
    The repairs are done now and as of tomorrow I will have paid for the work.

Still think its steep and I look at my brother/father/uncle each either with a bike or needing a bike repaired and each put off by either the initial price of buying a bike or the cost of maintaining it.

We are poorer now than we were three years ago and living costs are getting more expensive. What we've seen in this time is a cycling boom and things have gotten relatively more expensive. But the popularity of cycling has sustained the price increase. Naturally businesses have capitalised on this in various ways 'chic commuting selection at Top Shop' Dedicated sportive bikes costing £3000. All well and good, but in these hard time I reckon that the industry may price themselves beyond of the casual cyclist and the bubble will burst.

When it does (burst) I'll be waiting online/outside the shop cash in hand ready to purchase all the stock shops now need to get rid of. A little like I did with Woolworths.
    Food Chain number = 4

• And how is the Pick 'n' Mix mountain these days?
  • tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    When it does (burst) I'll be waiting online/outside the shop cash in hand ready to purchase all the stock shops now need to get rid of. A little like I did with Woolworths.

Stay off the pic n mix and your bike may last longer.

Just saying
  • Clever Pun
    dhope wrote:
    robz400 wrote:

I didn't think Diesel jeans cost much more than £45, unless you go to Selfridges to buy them

or any shop from memory (i'm pretty sure they're around the £60-90 mark)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    They have to pay rates, min wage + or whatever to staff, plus enough to cover all other costs as well as sell stuff at a rate that they won't scare the punters off to Wiggle or wherever to buy kit, whilst still showing a profit.

I think I'll try it on at my local TV shop. If I take a cheap portable in for repair, should it only cost a fiver to look at it, but when the plasma one fails the hourly rate should reflect the higher value of the bigger telly? Probably not - it'll cost whatever the going rate is to look at it, just like plumbers charge £30 just to come out to look at a dripping tap or a washing machine. The baseline costs are the same regardless of the job in hand.