2011 Season Goals

13»

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Not wanting to detract from anyone whose aim is to get a 3rd cat license, but i do hope you ACTUALLY mean 'becoming a competant, safe and consistent racer'.

Are you always so pompous? Maybe they are competent, safe and consistent already as 4th Cats?

Where I race it makes feck all difference if you're 3rd or 4th Cat anyway - you race the same races 99% of the time.
    More problems but still living....
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    I think its a valid point, it should be an aim for everyone to become competent and safe in a bunch, but as 4th cats will generally have less experience than the higher cats it stands to reason that 4th cats will have the most to learn in this area.

Although learning this isn't exclusive to 4th cats, but haven't there been issues raised in the past few months about the safety of 4th cat racing? and to some extent 3rd cat?
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    successful-troll-is-successful.jpg
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    Milese wrote:
    Not wanting to detract from anyone whose aim is to get a 3rd cat license, but i do hope you ACTUALLY mean 'becoming a competant, safe and consistent racer'.

Oh. I was hoping to win a single race because of a major pile up that takes out the competetion, that I probably cause through my incompetent, dangerous and irratic racing.

Like causing forum pile ups through erratic spelling?! :wink:

Or causing forum pile-ups through erractic grammer?! :wink:
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • mclarent wrote:
    Milese wrote:

Oh. I was hoping to win a single race because of a major pile up that takes out the competetion, that I probably cause through my incompetent, dangerous and irratic racing.

Like causing forum pile ups through erratic spelling?! :wink:

Or causing forum pile-ups through erractic grammer?! :wink:

Nope:
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pile+up
    Though most news stories use a hyphen.

and what is THAT?! :wink:
  • mclarent
    :lol:
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    Was the incorrect spelling of 'grammar' an intentional irony?

Very clever if it was ...
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    And that is why you shouldn't pull people up for bad spelling on a web forum. Not because others will point out your own errors, but because it just makes you look like a total ring piece.

So, back to training goals. Anyone else got any?
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    Although I've already posted in this thread, there are a couple of climbs I did a few times last summer that I'd like to "beat" my times on.
  • dulldave wrote:
    And that is why you shouldn't pull people up for bad spelling on a web forum. Not because others will point out your own errors, but because it just makes you look like a total ring piece.

You don't have much of a sense of humour do you.... :wink: (That's a wink: clue)
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    More wins :)

Not bothered which races, BC, LVRC, TLI.
  • dulldave
    dulldave wrote:

You don't have much of a sense of humour do you.... :wink: (That's a wink: clue)

Adding a wink doesn't make it funny mate. If every thread with errors were derailed by a winkers debate about spelling and punctuation there wouldn't be much conversation about cycling. This is a pretty good thread, that until recently was going quite well.

Now, of course, I'm part of the problem. Can we just stick to talking about training goals please?
  • dulldave
    edited January 2011
    Double post
  • mclarent
    "winkers debate" - I like that.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Stretch target 1 - Gold at The Marmotte - should say I have no idea what gold for a 43 year old is - good enough - Silver. I think relative weaknesses will be lack of experience of real mountains and not a fearless descender (though not terrible) plus I'll be needing a compact so something to work on and some kit to buy for that one.

Target 2 - top 3 in an LVRC - good enough - couple of top 10s. Managed top 10s this year and I reckon it's race craft more than fitness that held me back most - need to race more.

Target 3 - Just ordered a BC licence - first for a few years but assume I'll still be a 3rd cat, stretch target would be maybe 10 points or a top 10 in a 2/3/4. Happy enough with - just getting in the top 10 in a 3/4 and scoring some points in a decent race (ie road race with 60 plus starters not something like a circuit race with 10 riders).

Though if I can just get round the Marmotte and enjoy it and be competitive enough to get in a few breaks in races I wont be too disappointed.

Not planning on doing much TTing this year so can't see me setting any pbs there.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • dulldave wrote:

Adding a wink doesn't make it funny mate. If every thread with errors were derailed by a winkers debate about spelling and punctuation there wouldn't be much conversation about cycling. This is a pretty good thread, that until recently was going quite well.

Now, of course, I'm part of the problem. Can we just stick to talking about training goals please?

It wasn't meant to be funny for christs sake, simply a light hearted bit of ribbing. Sadly you turned it into something less fun. Happy new year to you, and no I am not your mate. Good luck for 2011.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Have an average speed of 20+mph for my sections of the 4 man Race Across America that I am doing.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • mrc1 wrote:
    Have an average speed of 20+mph for my sections of the 4 man Race Across America that I am doing.

Good luck with that, that is some challenge.

I'm going to add another target for this year - to be in the top 5 for an LVRC sprint comp.
  • Take 2 mins of Castle Hill TT time from last year. (14:05m - 2010) 1st time I climbed it on a road bike.

Do Mt Stuart TT for 1st time; take 10 mins off current time. (47:? m - 2010).

Outright win in my favourite off road event. (got buckleys but gonna have a shot anyway.)

Do 8000 kms for years total (5300 last year).

Add Road Crit races and road race events.

Do better in 8hr off road, 12hr night off road.

Improve leg strength, cardio, endurance, stamina by smarter training.
  • mclarent
    1. Trian better (more hours / better quality) and sleep more.
    2. Race at 10% body fat
    3. Complete at least 8 Regional B road races, scoring points /top 10s in at least 2.
    4. Finish top 10 at HH in at least one Regional B race,
    5. Finish top 40 at the Tour of Dorset,
    6. Complete the medium distance Tour of Flanders Sportive in under 5 1/2 hours
    7. The long Etape
    8. Qualify for and complete a regional or national champs

5 and 8 are proper stretch targets. I should probably add "get 2nd Cat" on there as well really, but tbh I'm more interested in the individual results than the license category.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    The main goal is a sub-8hr Marmotte. I suffered for 8:35 last year so it's a stretch but doable I think.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    short 24 for 10.
    sub 2.10 for 50.
    Enter and finish a 100.
    assuming above, sub 4.30 for 100.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,827
    1) Get down to 70 Kgs (Currently 77)
    2) Get to 3rd Cat
    3) Complete my 1st sportive
    4) To do the Lance Armstrong turn around and stare before attacking into the distance on the club chaingang (Think this one might end up going badly) :lol:
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****