I predict more riots

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Sewinman wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    If you took the trouble to wee-wee on one of my family's graves I would think you might need to get some help!

:o

Is it that you're just very laid back or you just don't care? I'd go effin' bananas, not just think "the men in white coats'll be after you, sunshine, so you'd better pack it in."

Maybe I am very laid back - I am increasingly noticing that I don't get angry about a lot of the stuff most people seem to do. It would depend how badly they needed to go, I suppose.

There's tolerating "stuff" and there's tolerating people p!ssing on your family's grave.
    So far on this thread I have been called vermin, speculation about people smashing up my house and people pissing on my family's grave! :lol: Heady stuff!

Well, in the case of my post, I was referring to your own reference to people p!ssing on your family's graves.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Maxticate wrote:
    Dave Gilmours Son eh?

I thought it was a girl in big boots.

Still I think he deserves to be ejected from Cambridge for that regardless of ignorance.

Is that a bloke!? :shock: I think they should punish him with a good clean 'short back and sides'.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Sewinman wrote:
    Paul E wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

It says a lot about you that you would happily watch police taking retribution on the protesters - most of whom are completely innocent and often children.

What has my house got to do with this?

Okay, can you show, not in photos but in video the proof of this and not just the incident but the lead up to it so we know the whole situation otherwise that is just hear say as you asked me to provide proof.

If there was children there you have to ask a few things,

A - How were they there without adult supervision
    B - Did their parents know they were there
    C - What were they doing in the front line facing the police if they were frail "children"

Your house is your property, the property that was damaged yesterday also belongs to people too, so they have to put up with it as a bit of tittle tattle or minor stuff then too

So you would just brush off the same damage to your property with the same attitude, I don't really think so, do you?

What incident are you referring to?

I didn't see any private property damaged yesterday.

There was a carphone warehouse that was smashed up not far from where I work, does that count as private, I am sure if I asked any collegues they would be able to tell me anything else they saw.

You didn't answer any of the other points though?
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    CiB wrote:
    I'm with W1 on this
    Oh dear, pass a copy of Mein Kampf
    CiB wrote:
    but once it moves onto attacking the royals
    Why not? You got on about sponging layabouts so much, surely they're top of the tree?
    CiB wrote:
    3 years of easy-life
    Not for me it wasn't, 3 years of hard work, crap living conditions and unemployment at the end of it
    CiB wrote:
    the Countryside Marches of a few years ago, in protest at Blair's misguided decision to ban fox hunting
    A decision supported by the majority of the population, who don't have a problem with foxes but do have a problem with barbarism
    CiB wrote:
    Me? I'd wait for the next performance and drop a f****ng large bomb on the idle layabouts, then start again with a fresh crop of students, ideally from abroad.
    If you like foreigners so much and think our youth is such a waste of space, why not f**k off and live abroad? Follow through with your convictions.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Sewinman
    Paul E wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    Paul E wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

It says a lot about you that you would happily watch police taking retribution on the protesters - most of whom are completely innocent and often children.

What has my house got to do with this?

Okay, can you show, not in photos but in video the proof of this and not just the incident but the lead up to it so we know the whole situation otherwise that is just hear say as you asked me to provide proof.

If there was children there you have to ask a few things,

A - How were they there without adult supervision
    B - Did their parents know they were there
    C - What were they doing in the front line facing the police if they were frail "children"

Your house is your property, the property that was damaged yesterday also belongs to people too, so they have to put up with it as a bit of tittle tattle or minor stuff then too

So you would just brush off the same damage to your property with the same attitude, I don't really think so, do you?

What incident are you referring to?

I didn't see any private property damaged yesterday.

There was a carphone warehouse that was smashed up not far from where I work, does that count as private, I am sure if I asked any collegues they would be able to tell me anything else they saw.

You didn't answer any of the other points though?

I can't answer the first points becuase I do not know what incident you are referring to.

Why would someone have smashed up my house? What had I done? I need more context to this hypotherical.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Sewinman wrote:
    So far on this thread I have been called vermin, speculation about people smashing up my house and people pissing on my family's grave! :lol: Heady stuff!

Rather telling, isn't it.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Oh for the love of....

It was a protest!

What the flying smoogle do you expect, people sitting in circles singing hymns and one dainty dressed female placing flowers in the barrel of a gun? Did you expect London to be safer and cleaner after it was said and done!?

Let me say it again. It was a protest! What the flying smoogle did you expect?

Usually protests are there to demonstrate civil unhappiness, when people are unhappy there is usually a measure of unrest. The level of unrest varies in severity depending on how unjust they believe the thing they're protesting about is.

What, was all those people who protested and then rioted against the poll tax, wrong? Was the Brixton riots, which started out as a protest, wrong when you compare it to the catalyst that started the protest and subsequent riot?

Like I said it was a protest, it isn't meant to be nice, actions are taken that we aren't going to like and no, it doesn't justify some of the more extreme actions. But a sizable number of people are angry and this is what could, can and did happen. It's reality and it (the protests/riots) may yet achieve something, they have in the past.

Even buddist monks resort to setting things (themselves) on fire when pushed hard enough! You aren't meant to like it, that's kinda the point.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Sewinman
    W1 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Rapier like...bo hooo...no-one likes me cry:
  • W1
    Sewinman wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Rapier like...bo hooo...no-one likes me cry:

Erm?
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

Like I said it was a protest, it isn't meant to be nice, actions are taken that we aren't going to like and no, it doesn't justify some of the more extreme actions. But a sizable number of people are angry and this is what could, can and did happen. It's reality and it (the protests/riots) may yet achieve something, they have in the past.

So if that is how a protest works and is what should be expected why were there so many "children" in attendance and why all the whining from the protesters afterwards about the way they were handled by police?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    That wasn't a riot.

We used to do riots over here in Norn Iron.

Where were the rubber bullets, tear gas, petrol bombs, live rounds, fireworks, ball bearing shot from catapaults, armoured cars and tanks?

Neither the SAS or the Paratroopers were deployed

Kate Adie didn't even turn up.

Pah!

That was a Saturday afternoon in Ikea Glasgow.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Oh for the love of....

It was a protest!

What the flying smoogle do you expect, people sitting in circles singing hymns and one dainty dressed female placing flowers in the barrel of a gun? Did you expect London to be safer and cleaner after it was said and done!?

Let me say it again. It was a protest! What the flying smoogle did you expect?

Usually protests are there to demonstrate civil unhappiness, when people are unhappy there is usually a measure of unrest. The level of unrest varies in severity depending on how unjust they believe the thing they're protesting about is.

What, was all those people who protested and then rioted against the poll tax, wrong? Was the Brixton riots, which started out as a protest, wrong when you compare it to the catalyst that started the protest and subsequent riot?

Even buddist monks resort to setting things (themselves) on fire when pushed hard enough! You aren't meant to like it, that's kinda the point.

The right to protest is legal. Vandalism, rioting, intimidation and criminal damage is not.

That said, I wouldn't really object if some of those idiots opted for self-immolation. Kill two birds with one stone and use 'em as fuel for the old folks homes.
  • secretsam
    That wasn't a riot.

We used to do riots over here in Norn Iron.

Where were the rubber bullets, tear gas, petrol bombs, live rounds, fireworks, ball bearing shot from catapaults, armoured cars and tanks?

Neither the SAS or the Paratroopers were deployed

Kate Adie didn't even turn up.

Pah!

That was a Saturday afternoon in Ikea Glasgow.

A little perspective. Like it. I agree, that was no riot.

It's like our 'arctic conditions'. For most people south of the border, this means "more than 3 inches of snow". I suspect that wolves, polar bears and elk are not about to invade our shores just yet, ergo this is not arctic.

As for our kilted chums in the frozen Hibernian reaches - that's what Scotland's for - so the rest of us can say "Phew, glad I don't live there" :lol:

<<RUNS>>

• DonDaddyD
    Monkeypump wrote:

The right to protest is legal. Vandalism, rioting, intimidation and criminal damage is not.

You're right of course, but vandalism, rioting etc are an unfortunate by-product and in someways a tool (albeit an extreme one) of protesting.

Keep in mind protesting is the public's way of demonstrating their unhappiness with the Governments actions. If the Government are that bad then those illegal activities become in someways a necessary evil to show, demonstrate or even depose a Government.

This is why I rant "what do you expect" and "you aren't meant to like it".
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    That wasn't a riot.

What he said !

I was in Paris in '92, when the farmers were protesting about something. I popped up out of a Metro station to find an empty square with the farmers on one side yelling and aiming fireworks at the police, and the CRS on the other side firing tear gas.

That was getting towards a proper riot. I buggered off sharpish.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Watching the riots, I miss misspending my youth like that on the streets of London.

I see plenty of cycle gear being deployed as armour & disguise, anyone get caught up in it.

Totally behind the protesters. The rape and pillage the Tories have lined up for us is purely idealogical.

Not behind the protestors because I'm being ideologically raped by this lot too and am in a far more vulnerable position as mortgaged and supporting dependents, I would rather not be subsidising the type of students who have the time and money to be getting involved in week long sit ins and bussed in riots whilst watching me and my family being financially savaged by the same imposition. Also I think theres far worse impositions into society and education that really will hit the poorest families and areas hardest. Passing on more of the optional education costs to those benefitting directly to be paid back out of future earnings aren't the worst things this lot are doing
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    edited December 2010
    W1 wrote:

As an aside, the cretin swinging on the Cenotaph is apparently Dave Gilmour's son. Not sure what he needs to protest about regarding fees, but glad he's been identified and I hope he gets flayed for i.

He don't need no ..... education.........
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • secretsam
    the CRS

Perhaps as part of our entente cordiale with France, we could borrow the CRS for such civil disturbance...would just love to see the reaction...
    I buggered off sharpish.

Probably sensible. The CRS are not known for taking prisoners.

• W1
    antfly wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    hfidgen wrote:
    *sits back to w

As an aside, the cretin swinging on the Cenotaph is apparently Dave Gilmour's son. Not sure what he needs to protest about regarding fees, but glad he's been identified and I hope he gets flayed for i.

Another prick in the wall [boom boom]
  • Sewinman
    W1 wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    hfidgen wrote:
    *sits back to w

Another prick in the wall [boom boom]

Can you fix that quote please, it was not me.
  • W1
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    "some granite" represents the lives of thousands of people, which were given so that you can sput this crap. Have some respect FFS.

The d*ckheadedness of the people who used protest as a cover for vandalism aside... Thats not strictly true is it. I mean, people didn't die in a war so that you can use their sacrifice to back up your arguments with people on the internet who hold opinions different to yours.

Always peeves me when people use the "people didn't die in two world wars so that..." in debates, or arguments (as this one has become).

Just sayin'

Well, I believe that they did die so that we can have the freedom that we have today. That freedom includes the right to protest (which I support).

Anyhow, Charlie Gilmour sums it up:

"Those who are commemorated by the Cenotaph died to protect the very freedoms that allow the people of Britain the right to protest and I feel deeply ashamed to have, although unintentionally and unknowingly, insulted the memory of them."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    There seems to be a pattern emerging: first Bryan Ferry's son gets involved in the pro-hunting protests, now Charlie Gilmour is protesting over tuition fees. When will we see Peaches Geldof with a placard?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Sewinman
    I had a quick look at the cenotaph on Friday night. Not a mark on it. Still not seen any evidence of the much maligned defaced war memorials.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    It looks like the scumbags are being rounded up as we speak. At least they won't have to worry about getting a job for a while because they could be at her majesty's pleasure for a good few years.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Keep in mind protesting is the public's way of demonstrating their unhappiness with the Governments actions. If the Government are that bad then those illegal activities become in someways a necessary evil to show, demonstrate or even depose a Government.

The easiest way to depose a government is to vote it out. That's how it works.

Four years and counting - Just over the time it takes to get a degree

I suppose that if the English Defence League had done this you'd be happy to retain your view or would you be supporting a more direct police action ?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • I have an, erm, mate who used to be in the TSG. Its true some people do get a bit into the violence of a demo like this one and its hard to tell who's side they're really on but they're the minority. When things go wrong and you are facing overwhelming numerical inferiority the ante has to be upped in order to achieve your goal however disturbing it is for those apparently dishing it out with glee. Things aren't always as cut and dried as they appear.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Greg T wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

The easiest way to depose a government is to vote it out.
    We didn't vote it in, boundaries and MP numbers are being changed to make it harder to vote out. There about as much 'democracy' in UK politics as there is in China or North Korea. We just pretend better to keep the population happy. Oh the hypocracy of imposing 'democracy' on Iraq and Afganistan or preaching about free speech to China.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Greg T

We didn't vote it in, boundaries and MP numbers are being changed to make it harder to vote out. There about as much 'democracy' in UK politics as there is in China or North Korea. We just pretend better to keep the population happy. Oh the hypocracy of imposing 'democracy' on Iraq and Afganistan or preaching about free speech to China.

Of course.

I'm sold now that you are bringing out the really compelling arguments.

Liked the Irag and Afghan tag as well - you did forget Israel and the miners strike. Could do better.

• DonDaddyD
    Greg T wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

The easiest way to depose a government is to vote it out. That's how it works.

Four years and counting - Just over the time it takes to get a degree

I suppose that if the English Defence League had done this you'd be happy to retain your view or would you be supporting a more direct police action ?

Low blow! In the nads with brogues. He's a banker everyone lets burn him!

Of course the easiest way to depose a government is to vote it out. Protesting and action becomes necessary when society cannot abide living under the regime any longer.

The EDL example I find a little extreme Greg. Ironic too! Considering next post was to shoot someone down for their extreme examples. I'll put that down to too much sherry over the X-mas period.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Greg T
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Protesting and action becomes necessary when society cannot abide living under the regime any longer.

Regime? Regime?

This is six month old Tory / Liberal coalition - not exactly a junta is it and also let's not forget this is ostensibly about the balance of state to personal funding of tertiary education, not freedom of the press, rule of law (ahem) or burning books.

.The EDL example I find a little extreme Greg. Ironic too! Considering next post was to shoot someone down for their extreme examples.

It wasn't an example it was a question - that you didn't answer by the way.

This is what I think.

We live in a liberal democracy, that democracy works just fine and we live under the law we don't get to pick and chose