I predict more riots

Initialised
Initialised Posts: 3,047
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Watching the riots, I miss misspending my youth like that on the streets of London.

I see plenty of cycle gear being deployed as armour & disguise, anyone get caught up in it.

Totally behind the protesters. The rape and pillage the Tories have lined up for us is purely idealogical.
I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.

Comments

• Totally behind the protesters. The rape and pillage the Tories have lined up for us is purely idealogical.

yeah, the bastards. They've only been in power 6 months and already they've spent those billions in used tenners that Labour had left lying around Downing Street. Brown had made a pair of trousers out of diamonds too - they've all been sold too.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Loving the look on the Royals faces!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Protestors. Anarchists.

Not really the same things are they?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    daviesee wrote:
    Protestors. Anarchists.

Not really the same things are they?

the former feel they have a good cause and are doing something in an attempt to effect change

the latter are cnuts who screw it up for the former. i despise people who hijack a protest to make it into a violent incident, it does the original cause no favours at all.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The 'protesters' didn't do the cause any favours at all.

I was dead against the increase in fees but now I'm glad they're going ahead to spite them.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    NapoleonD wrote:
    The 'protesters' didn't do the cause any favours at all.

I was dead against the increase in fees but now I'm glad they're going ahead to spite them.

i suspect that is the feeling of huge numbers in the country.

The right to protest is something I would support irrespective of the cause. The wanton and mindless vanadalism is not something I can support.

The violence MAY be incited by non students I do not know - however, the lack of condemnation of it by student groups reflects very badly on the students and their cause
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Indeed, a student spokeswoman on the news this morning seemed to suggest that because students were very angry, the violence was just an unavoidable by-product. Funny, I seem to remember various other protests - some a great deal larger than this - that managed to pass off without incident.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surreyxc
    surreyxc Posts: 293
    whatever the outcome or motivations, it is quite heartening that at least the youth are not as apathetic as the media portray. What surprises me is how the rest of the rest of us just keep taking the shit and eating it.

The country is in dire straits yet the banks got away scot free as did the politicians and big business and as they do not want to make sacrifices or change the structure they squeeze us, let us fight among ourselves so we are not focused on long term solutions. Civil service does need some culling but there is a lot of cash out there held in the hands of the few. Always find it strange that we are one of the most affluent nations in the world yet that wealth is held by very few.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    The rioters are just vermin scum who should be strung up. Urinating on Churchill's statue and swinging off the Cenotaph? Absolutely disgraceful. I have zero sympathy for any of them, and am only dissapointed that the police had blocked access last night as I'd like to have watch some scum being battoned. I mean who takes paint and snooker balls to a "peaceful" protest?

I'm now 100% behind the government - if they had backed down they would have sent a message that rioting achieves results.

I'd also be taking the costs of the policing, clean-up and damage out of the education budget. It's a good lesson for them to learn that there are consequences for actions, and it might encourage those who are protesting peacefully to (next time) be as angry and resentful against the rioters as the rest of us are (or should be).
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    As a slight aside, I had to laugh when one student interviewed on the radio this morning bemoaned the 'kettling' techniques - "They keep us penned in, make us angry, and don't even give us any food and drink".

It's a student protest, not a primary school field trip! Perhaps mummy should have packed a lunch box.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    W1 wrote:
    The rioters are just vermin scum who should be strung up. Urinating on Churchill's statue and swinging off the Cenotaph? Absolutely disgraceful. I have zero sympathy for any of them, and am only dissapointed that the police had blocked access last night as I'd like to have watch some scum being battoned. I mean who takes paint and snooker balls to a "peaceful" protest?

I'm now 100% behind the government - if they had backed down they would have sent a message that rioting achieves results.

I'd also be taking the costs of the policing, clean-up and damage out of the education budget. It's a good lesson for them to learn that there are consequences for actions, and it might encourage those who are protesting peacefully to (next time) be as angry and resentful against the rioters as the rest of us are (or should be).

Beautiful rant from our resident Tory boy squirt. You are appalled at the violence, but wish to spank one out whilst watching people getting battoned? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
  • W1 wrote:

What's happening is escalation. The first protest was largely peaceful apart from the couple of idiots chucking fire extinguishers. At the second, the police kettled them and hit people with sticks if they tried to get out. So surprise surprise, students think "If the Police are going to have armour and big sticks, maybe we'd better be armed too". I watched a documentary the other week about the riot police, and many of them made it perfectly clear that they did not see violence as a last resort, but as the primary way of dealing with people. When you're faced with thugs who are looking for a confrontation, some people will find it hard to resist.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181
    W1 wrote:
    I'd also be taking the costs of the policing, clean-up and damage out of the education budget.

Oh, grow up FFS
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    edited December 2010
    I'm with W1 on this. Students - go ahead and have your protests if you really think it's going to make the slightest bit of difference, but once it moves onto rioting, vandalism, climbing The Cenotaph, attacking the royals, that's it for me. Any sympathy I did have for these poor students has now completely gone, replaced by a satisfaction that the iliiterate innumerate idiots might have to contribute something towards their 3 years of easy-life - although there's not much hope when they come out with statements like "9 grand a year? That's like £21000. How am I gonna afford that?". Muppets. And if they spent a bit more time looking at the reality of what the changes mean to them and the current state of the country, maybe they'd be a bit less eager to try overcoming the democratic process, which has seen all three major parties in agreement that student financing had to change.

And when it comes to protesting, let's look back to the Countryside Marches of a few years ago, in protest at Blair's misguided decsion to ban fox hunting [and he's since openly admitted that he got that one wrong and wishes he'd never gone for a ban]. Thousands upon thousands of 'country people' from all levels of soceity, from part-time farm workers all the way up to agribusiness huge-scale farmers, we all descended on London, had a march and went home, famously 'leaving Hyde Park in a tidier condition than it was when we arrived'. Compare & contrast with for example the Gay Pride annual jamboree around the same time, which resulted in the regular need for an army of street cleaners to collect the tons of rubbish discarded by the marchers. And now we have a bunch of up-themselves students who think that having to pay £7 a month on their income tax when they're earning more than £21k warrants the riots & destruction that they're now involved in.

Me? I'd wait for the next performance and drop a f****ng large bomb on the idle layabouts, then start again with a fresh crop of students, ideally from abroad.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    surreyxc wrote:
    whatever the outcome or motivations, it is quite heartening that at least the youth are not as apathetic as the media portray. What surprises me is how the rest of the rest of us just keep taking the shoot and eating it.

They are only not being apathetic because it's their own pockets that are being hit. I would call them selfish and I definitely don't want to pay for their education.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Sewinman
    CiB wrote:
    I'm with W1 on this. Students - go ahead and have your protests if you really think it's going to make the slightest bit of difference, but once it moves onto rioting, vandalism, climbing The Cenotaph, attacking the royals, that's it for me. Any sympathy I did have for these poor students has now completely gone, replaced by a satisfaction that the iliiterate innumerate idiots might have to contribute something towards their 3 years of easy-life - although there's not much hope when they come out with statements like "9 grand a year? That's like £21000. How am I gonna afford that?". Muppets. And if they spent a bit more time looking at the reality of what the changes mean to them and the current state of the country, maybe they'd be a bit less eager to try overcoming the democratic process, which has seen all three major parties in agreement that student financing had to change.

And when it comes to protesting, let's look back to the Countryside Marches of a few years ago, in protest at Blair's misguided decsion to ban fox hunting [and he's since openly admitted that he got that one wrong and wishes he'd never gone for a ban]. Thousands upon thousands of 'country people' from all levels of soceity, from part-time farm workers all the way up to agribusiness huge-scale farmers, we all descended on London, had a march and went home, famously 'leaving Hyde Park in a tidier condition than it was when we arrived'. Compare & contrast with for example the Gay Pride annual jamboree around the same time, which resulted in the regular need for an army of street cleaners to collect the tons of rubbish discarded by the marchers. And now we have a bunch of up-themselves students who think that having to pay £7 a month on their income tax when they're earning more than £21k warrants the riots & destruction that they're now involved in.

Me? I'd wait for the next performance and drop a f****ng large bomb on the idle layabouts, then start again with a fesh crop of students, ideally from abroad.

Awful gays and students verses lovely hunting types in Tweed. :lol: Outraged of home-counties-shire.
  • Sewinman
    antfly wrote:
    surreyxc wrote:
    whatever the outcome or motivations, it is quite heartening that at least the youth are not as apathetic as the media portray. What surprises me is how the rest of the rest of us just keep taking the shoot and eating it.

They are only not being apathetic because it's their own pockets that are being hit. I would call them selfish and I definitely don't want to pay for their education.

Errrrrr, most of them are at Uni already - so it won't actually directly affect them...?
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Sewinman wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    surreyxc wrote:

Errrrrr, most of them are at Uni already - so it won't actually directly affect them...?

Selfish and stupid then.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • W1
    Sewinman wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    surreyxc wrote:

So they have nothing to protest about then, do they?

Anyway, predictable response from the green-eyed commie violent vandal supporter. Have you managed to get the paint out of your balaclava yet?
  • W1
    Sewinman wrote:
    W1 wrote:

Beautiful rant from our resident Tory boy squirt. You are appalled at the violence, but wish to spank one out whilst watching people getting battoned? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

I'm happy to see a scum bag get battoned when he's attacking the police and vandalising buildings. I really couldn't care less in fact. One uses lawful force, the other is vermin and should be trated as such.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    So Sewinman given your penchant for violent protests getting air time on sky news, how do you feel yesterday went?

they got on the news alright, yet the message seems a little muddled no?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    W1 wrote:

Anyway, predictable response from the green-eyed commie violent vandal supporter. Have you managed to get the paint out of your balaclava yet?

People's politics can move beyond self interest, believe it or not.

Who is this W1 guy? You're not quite with the rest of the world.

They're all out to get you you know ;).
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Sewinman wrote:
    Awful gays and students verses lovely hunting types in Tweed. :lol: Outraged of home-counties-shire.

Thanks. It's nice when someone recognises my strong points. :)

You used the phrase 'awful gays', not me. But there yer go. I don't know if I know any gay people tbh, to my knowldege people don't tend to announce their sexuality, and I've got no interest in which way other people swing. It doesn't bother me though, if that's what you're getting at.

They did leave a frightful mess though. And so have these students. That's what gets on my wick.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    W1 wrote:
    I'm happy to see a scum bag get battoned when he's attacking the police and vandalising buildings. I really couldn't care less in fact. One uses lawful force, the other is vermin and should be trated as such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-wing ... itarianism

Have you ever watched the film Das Experiment?
  • CiB wrote:
    And when it comes to protesting, let's look back to the Countryside Marches of a few years ago, in protest at Blair's misguided decsion to ban fox hunting [and he's since openly admitted that he got that one wrong and wishes he'd never gone for a ban]. Thousands upon thousands of 'country people' from all levels of soceity, from part-time farm workers all the way up to agribusiness huge-scale farmers, we all descended on London, had a march and went home, famously 'leaving Hyde Park in a tidier condition than it was when we arrived'.

You forgot to mention the protestors who stormed the house of commons.
    CiB wrote:
    Me? I'd wait for the next performance and drop a f****ng large bomb on the idle layabouts, then start again with a fresh crop of students, ideally from abroad.

Haven't the ConDems just effectively blocked most foreign students from studying here?
  • Sewinman
    W1 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    surreyxc wrote:

You don't have to be directly affected to think something is wrong. That is why I was out supporting them yesterday.

I am not a commie by the way, and I have nothing to be green eyed about. No Balaclava either...as you seem interested, I was wearing a flat cap and a Barbour.
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    edited December 2010
    CiB wrote:

And when it comes to protesting, let's look back to the Countryside Marches of a few years ago, in protest at Blair's misguided decsion to ban fox hunting [and he's since openly admitted that he got that one wrong and wishes he'd never gone for a ban]. Thousands upon thousands of 'country people' from all levels of soceity, from part-time farm workers all the way up to agribusiness huge-scale farmers, we all descended on London, had a march and went home, famously 'leaving Hyde Park in a tidier condition than it was when we arrived'.

I agree with some of what you're saying, but the paragraph quoted above is pure bollocks.

http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/fullreport161106.pdf

On Wednesday 15 September 2004, there was large-scale public disorder in
    Parliament Square in Central London. A rally organised by the Countryside Alliance
    had gathered in Parliament Square from approximately 11am to protest against the
    Government’s Bill to ban hunting with dogs.

It is clear that the vast majority of people attending the demonstration were not
    involved in any disorder, and indeed hundreds of police officers completed their tour
    of duty without witnessing any unlawful acts. However it is also apparent that a small
    number of people attending the demonstration were intent on getting through the
    police lines and to disrupt Parliament.

The single line of barriers made it more likely that this area would be attacked as a
    potential weak spot in the containment of the crowd and the protection of Parliament.
    Members of the crowd tried, from 1.30 pm, to pull the barriers away from the road,
    resulting in a series of minor skirmishes between police officers posted to the south
    east corner of the square and some of the demonstrators. By 3.00 pm the single line
    of barriers had been completely removed by the crowd and there were no obstructions
    preventing the demonstrators from coming face to face with police officers, who by
    this time had formed a line across the road junction.

By 3.00 pm there were attempts by the demonstrators to break through the police lines
    in the road to the north of the grassed area near to Westminster Abbey. The police
    officers responded to this attack and at 3.23 pm a police officer was captured on
    CCTV using his baton to strike a demonstrator.

It is clear that missiles were being thrown at the police lines. It is also clear that from
    3.30 pm some of the demonstrators surged towards the police lines, there were
    attempts to breach the police lines, and a number of police officers used their batons
    to strike demonstrators on the head, causing injuries. On occasions officers are seen
    to be pinned back to the police vehicles being used as barriers.

The event, at times, was extremely violent; missiles, including crush barriers, were
    hurled at the police lines. There were also clear attempts to break through the police
    lines and this could have been successful had it not been for the tactic of moving a
    line of police carriers across the junction of Parliament Square and St. Margaret’s
    Street.
    Rules are for fools.
  • W1
    W1 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-wing ... itarianism

Have you ever watched the film Das Experiment?

What utter crap.
  • Sewinman
    Clever Pun wrote:
    So Sewinman given your penchant for violent protests getting air time on sky news, how do you feel yesterday went?

they got on the news alright, yet the message seems a little muddled no?

I was there for much of the day, so I did not watch much of the Sky coverage. I think we all know what the protests are about - so no, I would not describe it as 'muddled'.