so who's commuting in the snow?

Comments

• Drove in. Scared myself stupid, and realised that cycling down country roads that have one line of 'clear' road is a BAD idea when lorries are about.

Got to work in a blizzard, grabbed my laptop and drove straight back home.

As much as I would LOVE to cycle in this, it's beyond dangerous when you see the state of the some of the country lanes.... *I'D* be fine, right until a motorised vehicle turned up and lost it trying to negotiate me.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • surreyxc
    surreyxc Posts: 293
    impressed people are riding on skinnies, good effort. Found giving the bike a light coat of oil on cranks, deraileurs helped the snow fall off. Last night the thing balled up so much I ended up with just one gear. snow love it, I want more!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    Beautiful ride through Bushy Park this morning. Not too bad in other places. Probably be a bit more slippy riding back tonight but I'll avoid cars and roads where possible. The A312 is horrible at the best of times.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    fixed on 23's for me.. little hairy here and there and my bike was covered in slush and sludge
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Got a bit slippery in the park so I had to let some air out of my tyres. Unfortunately I let a bit too much out and the vavle cap froze leaving me to to the last 5 miles over clear London roads with a rear tyre like a marshmallow.

CJCP shot past me in the middle of the park and looked like he was having fun.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    <-- wuss

Got the train today
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • A light covering in Norwich, like icing sugar on a cake. Slippy, but I made it.

But absolutely loads 20 miles south in Diss. I thought it would probably be too slippy on the back roads for me, so I got the bus.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Only a dusting of snow here in Caversham.
    However, I'm increasingly concerned that the annual motorbike trip to Ostend, leaving tomorrow morning, might have to become a car trip for the first time in 20-odd years.
    This year we're staying in hotels too, previously it was always camping. Does this mean I've become a wuss ?
    Misguided Idealist
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:

:o :oops: I said good morning and gave a wave to a few people along the middle today, but kept my eyes firmly fixed ahead of me, so no idea it was you. Sorry. :oops:

But, yes, I was having an absolute ball. I rode down to Petersham ped gate again, back, then up the trail from Ham Gate (feck, that's hard in the snow), then down to Robin Hood Gate and along to Roehampton Gate. The stretch to Roehampton was particularly awesome. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

:o :oops: I said good morning and gave a wave to a few people along the middle today, but kept my eyes firmly fixed ahead of me, so no idea it was you. Sorry. :oops:

But, yes, I was having an absolute ball. I rode down to Petersham ped gate again, back, then up the trail from Ham Gate (feck, that's hard in the snow), then down to Robin Hood Gate and along to Roehampton Gate. The stretch to Roehampton was particularly awesome. :D

Oh, I was definately using the force this morning. I saw you flick your hand up in a brief half wave and then grasp the hood again for dear life!

You must have been motoring because I went past White Lodge and was just behind you again when you went out though Roehampton Gate (at which point I stopped and struggled to get my stuck valve cap off).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Are you supposed to have so much fun then? :lol:

Stayed at a friend's last night so had a very painfully slow Jubilee Line journey in :(

Looking forward to the ride home but will have to walk my local roads once I leave the main.
  • Made it in. In the car. For the third day in a row.

Another wuss.

It looked like major roads in central London were mainly fine, as long as you stuck to the bits that had been driven on. Bus lanes and side roads looked precarious.

One advantage of having an Audi with 4WD is a fair bit of extra confidence in these conditions. The traction control light stayed off; the ABS was only having to work on the very lightly used side streets.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    Asprilla wrote:

Oh, I was definitely using the force this morning. I saw you flick your hand up in a brief half wave and then grasp the hood again for dear life!

Yep, that sounds about right! Interesting back wheel slide as the Park van came past.
    You must have been motoring because I went past White Lodge and was just behind you again when you went out though Roehampton Gate (at which point I stopped and struggled to get my stuck valve cap off).

I must admit I was throwing caution to the wind along that stretch and came close to losing it. Going back through the Park again tonight for the hell of it - much more fun than going through Petersham.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Greg66 wrote:
    Made it in. In the car. For the third day in a row.

Another wuss.

It looked like major roads in central London were mainly fine, as long as you stuck to the bits that had been driven on. Bus lanes and side roads looked precarious.

One advantage of having an Audi with 4WD is a fair bit of extra confidence in these conditions. The traction control light stayed off; the ABS was only having to work on the very lightly used side streets.

Your signature says you like ice, today should have been lovely :?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    One advantage of [being in a car full stop]

... is that your feet were no doubt toasty warm :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Greg66 wrote:

Confidence maybe but not a great deal of extra ability due to those lovely low profile road biased tyres you undoubtedly have on (unless you have an All-Road), so take care still.

Try getting some winter/snow tyres and see the difference in both starting/stopping - my old Subaru Impreza was chuffing awesome with those & no ABS :D
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    On my way in to work this morning, on those nice icy country lanes, I spotted an Impreza in the ditch, been there a while, two trucks trying to get the car out.
    Asked if they were ok without trying to look smug...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,406
    Walking to the two miles to Morden, I would agree that it's not so much staying upright on a bike that's the problem - the right tyres on an MTB would sort that (if I had one) - but other road-users careering around in the slush. At one point I saw a 7.5t delivery truck driving down this road at 20+mph; would have been nasty if he'd needed to change direction, let alone stop in a hurry.

Image322.jpg
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I have an E-Class Merc - possibly one of the most useless cars in the snow. Strapped on some winter tyres and it's superb. Was travelling up past Aviemore on Saturday - the 4x4 ahead of me was snaking about and my traction light didn't blink once. I can't recommend them highly enough. Just ordered a set for my Alfa.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dhope wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Another wuss.

Your signature says you like ice, today should have been lovely :?

Hmm. So you might think. I had an off on some ice exiting a roundabout at speed a couple of winters back. Melted polyprop top on the elbow and a nice rip in my windproof (but plainly not roadproof) Assos leggings. I've had two offs this year already - snapped chain and a deep puddle. I'm in no hurry to test my luck or my pocket any further.

@cj: don't forget the toasty bum and back (heated seats) and fingers (vents blowing at them) :mrgreen:

@ puff: yes, I realise that the black rubber bands that I have that pass for tyres aren't ideal for winter. If I had space to store an extra set of tyres, I'd get some winter ones, but I don't. Generally speaking though, as long as everything is done with time to spare, and done gently, disaster can be avoided...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Couldn't get my car out the drive today so had to ride anyway. Not too bad as most of my route is through quiet country lanes so not a lot of traffic and most people were only doing about 20mph so not a big speed differential.

Stopped a couple of times to let traffic past before the downhill sections so I could take them easy. Riding my usual commuter cross bike with the cx tyres that came with it which seemed to have loads of grip on the snow and slush. Mudguards were both useful and annoying (kept me clean, clogged with snow). Experience tells me that tomorrow with the ice is a different story.

Snow not too deep down here either, only about 5-6 inches at the moment. I'll be leaving early tonight though, I've got properly bright lights but I'm nervous about being collected by some fool in the dark lanes.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Still riding..........

On way home last night, conditions were deffo worse near home (South East Manchester ish) than at work.... most of the route back was on a trail, so no-where near slippy cars. Then took to the relatively fresh snow on the pavements (I know) - no-one walking, and the studded MTB just cuts through it.

This morning, had to 'drive' to an early hospital appointment for a pre-op session (now have a date in March for a shoulder decompression - two years since a car hit me), then drove home, waved kids off to school, then cleared road of snow, then jumped on bike to work.....used a bit more of a road route as the traffic was so light.

Still snowing on and off. Hopefully some of the slushy snow will freeze a bit later for increased traction ! 8)
  • Woke up to a covering on the Isle of Wight this morning. Not many cars on the road so the trusty Trek was there for me. Bit chilly to start with but turnt into a cracking ride. Some cycle track a bit of road and a half way stop for a coffee to warm through. Should be a good ride home past the bumbling commuters bouncing of each other. Graet way to test overshoes and my new winter gloves :)
    Trek Fuel EX 9 = FCN 11
    Scott Speedster FB = FCN 6
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    @cj: don't forget the toasty bum and back (heated seats) and fingers (vents blowing at them) :mrgreen:

No chance of a lift this evening, is there? You could drop me at the Park (i.e. the start of the fun bit) and I'll be good to go from there. It's a tad out of your way, but you'll have warm toes and a toasty backside (that doesn't read too well, does it?), so you'll be fine. :mrgreen:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    My spikey tyres arrived tuesday
    The snow arrived in Devon last night
    At the moment I am winning
  • Took a taxi to an all day meeting that was cancelled, then the tube in. Damn it.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    re fitted my spike craws and popped around to the shop, all good except for cars still travelling at normal speed on packed snow and ice, idiots!!!! :x

So basically I have all the grip you could want but have to duck for cover every time a car slides past me.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • sicknewt
    sicknewt Posts: 181
    148327_10150095895065948_647045947_7163403_2505282_n.jpg

That's me at about 8pm last night outside my house in Sheffield.
  • cjcp
    And how about that ladies and gents? The lad's still smiling! :lol:

Superb effort, sir.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • sicknewt
    sicknewt Posts: 181
    Thanks pal, not sure I would have been if it was that deep all the time!