so who's commuting in the snow?

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    The ride home was fine. I rode slower than usual and the only problem I had was with frozen tips of fingers. Christ, they were painful when defrosting :cry:

First new pair of 'winter' gloves arrived so I'll test them under my ski gloves on the ride to work. No doubt I'll be hunting for yet another pair by Thursday :roll:
  • Well 25mm factory tyres don't seem too bad on light snow, no ice to speak of, and we'll see how it handles proper snow if it arrives, not bad for a over geared SS really.

Though the hybrid hack was better.
  • me, me, me! still commuting in the snow. can't do much in deep snow drifts at the side of roads or areas that are rutted or dug up snow mounds, but I got a conti all season tyred bike, a road tourer with marathon winter tyres and an MTB (1080's) with Ice Spiker Pro tyres. Absolutely the nuts for compacted snow and slick ice! Check the road each day and pick the right bike for the day. no problem. studded bikes take a little longer is all but oh the smugness of it all!!!!! take that spinny wheel drivers! lol
    had to build a shed for growing bike stash though. wife unhappy about 5 in the hallway! strange that!
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    As penance for my wussing out this morning, I just did my first turbo session of the season.

Wow. I'd forgotten how difficult it can be. Might chance my arm with the weather tomorrow.
  • Rode in Monday and today, feet very cold when got home tonight! Been taking it very easy round corners and trying to ride smoothly. No slips yet so not sure if that is down to me being smooth or the recently fitted Snow Stud tyres. Its looking a very fresh start to the day tomorrow so I'll assume everything is icy and slippery tomorrow and take it easy again.
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Soft snow this morning - bit crunchier on the way home tonight - CX tyres seem to be coping OK
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    Took my old rigid mountain bike today, no need. Just got very wet. Even Bushy Park had plenty of grip. A bit disappointing really. Maybe more snow for tomorrow.
  • hatbeard wrote:
    The snow was too much on the way home, my new specs can't come soon enough...

would it be safe to ride wearing those real3D glasses you get at the cinema (during daylight not nighttime) I have a couple pairs of those lying around. :lol:

They'd make everything slightly darker, but apart from that I'm sure they'd be fine. You might get some funny light effects from the polarisation though.

Also if you do use them, amusing pictures are required.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    I've lost my bottle. The slightest hint of crunchiness and I'm going round corners like an old lady going for the shopping. Its very depressing :cry:
  • pianoleo
    pianoleo Posts: 135
    Got home about an hour ago - made the mistake of delaying the inevitable by nipping to the pub for a very slow, drawn out pint. Mistake number two was using the usual side roads to cut through from Brockley to Sydenham, forgetting that they'd be treacherous from having NOT been driven on in the previous couple of hours. Still, not too awful - I had to get off and push for a couple of hundred yards and the journey took me 40 mins rather than 27-30 but I didn't fall off.
  • Buggerations.

Trying to work home from but the bloody Web software doesn't support Windows 7.

Feck.

There's no way I'm driving in, the roads are lethal for cars 'round here, and I'm completely shot from the last two days (last night was a nightmare effort wise)

I hate taking days off for 'no' reason and I've got lots to do, but cycling 12 miles through snow is not my idea of fun :?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Kieran, MTFU!

I've got to ride through about 1cm (yup, 10mm) of snow here in London. If I can do it, you can do it!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Well there's 6" of frozen snow down in SM5 and an absence of grit so no cycling for me today.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Kieran, MTFU!

I've got to ride through about 1cm (yup, 10mm) of snow here in London. If I can do it, you can do it!

Slight problem. I didn't charge my lights last night, so they're on charge at the moment, but it takes about 2 hours to get them done.

Oh, and it's a bit more than 1cm up here. One guy lives less than 2 miles from work and he can't make it, even on foot.

I actually WANT to, but sense is taking hold at the moment
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Kieran, MTFU!

That's toughu Barnet snow though Eke, don't underestimate it
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Only joking folks. If you don't feel safe, don't ride.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Kieran, MTFU!

Bizzare I live on the SE London Kent border and here there is 8" of snow!

Roads are passable just.
  • fine again this morning - no ice on my little commute

bit nippy though
  • Well, I've managed to access the work network from home (love hopping from one Server to another) so I'm staying in.

I might go for a spin later just for the hell of it, just to see what the roads are like.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    Working from home today - not that there's even that much snow, it's just because I can :D

And it means I get more done - fewer distractions and no incessant questioning about how they should do things :roll:
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • Thoroughly enjoyed the ride in. Needed every once of attention to weave my way through ice, snow and sliding cars for 7 miles. Late for work but then most didn't make it in at all.
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    took a lot longer this morning - not least because of stopping and waiting for an ambulance, but apart from the first mile or two being sheer terror due to ice, wasn't too bad. saw two people in shorts. I'm fairly sure they're idiots
  • wooo, cold thumbs. loose stem didn't help either.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Cracking ride in again today, more snow overnight meant a more challenging ride with compacted snow/ice below the fresh snow, but that just makes it more entertaining LOL
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Alphabet wrote:
    took a lot longer this morning - not least because of stopping and waiting for an ambulance, but apart from the first mile or two being sheer terror due to ice, wasn't too bad. saw two people in shorts. I'm fairly sure they're idiots

Do you go via the A21 or Sydenham / Camberwell way?

I wussed out today as the local roads look rather horrible. I might venture out at lunchtime and do see how the mtb fairs ;)
  • Day off the bike today, as Mrs HO has a big load of shopping she needs me to take back to the shop. Roads looked ok, so was sad not to be riding.

Having said that, the snowy bits of the ride home last night were pretty treacherous and slow going. Having never before averaged below 15mph on the commute, yesterday I could only manage 13.6.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Cycled in today having wussed out yesterday, saw all of 3 other cyclists from Greenwich to City. Roads were okay, bit slushy at the sides so just went a bit more primary than normal and quite cautious. Roads were fairly quiet tbh, this at about 7am
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Freezing headwind this morning, but nothing else to get in the way. Some of the roads were even drying out around Shepherds Bush.

I'm kind of disappointed actually, I was looking forward to the challenge.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Well there's 6" of frozen snow down in SM5 and an absence of grit so no cycling for me today.

SM6 had another dusting (2") last night. After the nightmare 6 mile "hike-'n-bike" last night from Crystal Palace parade to home, this morning saw the fixie take a well earned rest and the MTB let loose for a VERY slow cruise in to work. :oops: I couldn't face another 3.5hrs commute and the knobblies provided much needed grip...

Loads of fresh snow up to CP and pretty slushy up to Statford. Cold, definitely cold though. :shock:

Let's pray the idiot drivers realise their folly before the evening trip home. My advice: stay at home. Wrap up warm, grab a cup of Milo, and veg with a few choice DVDs. :wink:
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Addiscombe to Beckenham was pretty exciting (terrifying) but the roads were clear once I hit the A21
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14