Students

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Do you notice that the student protests don't start till the afternoon?
Also what part of destroying a police vehicle will help there protestings.....

These people should be jailed, and their names circulated to ensure none of them ever get a job. Oh and no, absolutely no state aid.
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Also what part of destroying a police vehicle will help there protestings.....

These people should be jailed, and their names circulated to ensure none of them ever get a job. Oh and no, absolutely no state aid.

How dare they be unsatisfied with the status quo.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    String em up. It's the only language they understand.
  • Wallace1492
    Don't get me wrong.... protest - absolutely. Destroy police vehicles - totally overstepping the mark.

Wonder how many of them are real students, and how many are the tree hugging, lentil eating rent-a-mob?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Wednesday afternoons are lecture/seminar free across the country, in order to allow for the sports teams to play each other etc.

Studens are not stupid - they're the people who will be running the country soon. Why miss out on something they've paid for?
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Nah, bring on the chaos
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    Wonder how many of them are real students, and how many are the tree hugging, lentil eating rent-a-mob?

Surely that should be beer-swilling, drug sniffing, stab you in the face rent-a-mob?

And yeah how dare they protest? :lol:

Speaking as a graduate who paid £12,000 for the privelidge of my degree I would have been pretty narked if that bill had gone up to £27,000 and would indeed have been protesting right about now.

I think the story is a bit one sided though as not everyone will end up with total debt this high - some fees are a lot lower, and courses will probably soon be completed in 2 years instead. I think I'm right in saying though that the government is slashing uni central funding by 80% (80 per cent!) so no wonder the uni's are having to push up fees.

Whatever the arguments - I'm sorry for the new crop of A-level leavers because they won't have the opportunity I had, but having a bloody riot to make up for it is too much.

The f***ing a***hole who dropped the fire extingusher onto the police the other week deserves to burn, for example.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    hfidgen wrote:

Surely that should be beer-swilling, drug sniffing, stab you in the face rent-a-mob?

And yeah how dare they protest? :lol:

Speaking as a graduate who paid £12,000 for the privelidge of my degree I would have been pretty narked if that bill had gone up to £27,000 and would indeed have been protesting right about now.

I think the story is a bit one sided though as not everyone will end up with total debt this high - some fees are a lot lower, and courses will probably soon be completed in 2 years instead. I think I'm right in saying though that the government is slashing uni central funding by 80% (80 per cent!) so no wonder the uni's are having to push up fees.

Whatever the arguments - I'm sorry for the new crop of A-level leavers because they won't have the opportunity I had, but having a bloody riot to make up for it is too much.

The f***ing a***hole who dropped the fire extingusher onto the police the other week deserves to burn, for example.
    This guy: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11829202
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • notsoblue
    Don't get me wrong.... protest - absolutely. Destroy police vehicles - totally overstepping the mark.

I'm guessing you'd agree that any group of protesters you don't empathise with are a "rent-a-mob" :P
  • Wallace1492
    notsoblue wrote:

I'm guessing you'd agree that any group of protesters you don't empathise with are a "rent-a-mob" :P

Not at all all are entitled to protest. I actually have a lot of sympathy for their cause, however this one is ripe for the rent-a-mob brigade. 8)
  • notsoblue
    Not at all all are entitled to protest. I actually have a lot of sympathy for their cause, however this one is ripe for the rent-a-mob brigade. 8)

Perhaps, but just because some of their peer group are d*ckheads doesn't mean that they shouldn't be allowed to protest... It shouldn't even devalue their protest imo.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Lets keep in all on the same thread chaps

http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/foru ... t=12740986

And the fire extinguisher chap should get the 5 year term. Idiot.

As to the others - protest all you like, but don't start getting your nappies in a twist if you lose any public support when people are injured or property damaged....
  • Good luck to them. Most sectors of society have bent over and taken it up the ar5e for years, nice to see someone fighting back for once. Vive la revolution.
    <a>road</a>
  • totally agree.

i hope this increase of the fee will stop students to study courses which has no future and wasting our tax payers' money.
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Wallace1492
    W1 wrote:

As to the others - protest all you like, but don't start getting your nappies in a twist if you lose any public support when people are injured or property damaged....

New protest, new thread.... that one is old hat...... maybe we should only ever have one "what lights" thread.....

Maybe it is me that should be out protesting as my hard earned tax is being used to pay their courses (or at least some of).

Anyway, the pictures coming in remind me of the Rangers fans in Manchester.... :cry:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    edited November 2010
    W1 wrote:

New protest, new thread.... that one is old hat...... maybe we should only ever have one "what lights" thread.....

Maybe it is me that should be out protesting as my hard earned tax is being used to pay their courses (or at least some of).

Anyway, the pictures coming in remind me of the Rangers fans in Manchester.... :cry:
    They will be a repeat of that tonight as well.

I think I'll go out and protest at the unfairness of having to go out and work for a living. I mean having to get up at 7:30 to sit in an office to earn money that the government gets a cut off...it just ain't fair.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited November 2010

:

You might change your mind about the same people in 20 years time when you're begging for a pension... :roll:

Students are angry because employers demand degrees, and yet those same employers demand students pay for the priviledge, despite the fact that that said generation screwed the economy and thus the young job prospects. Said generation has laden the country with ridiculous debt, and are now demanding the students who will eventually be tasked with paying off said debt to take on even more debt to try and get the quickly dissapearing jobs. Not cool.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Water cannon would soon disperse them on a cold day like today.
  • W1
    Most of the protesters probably haven't even read the proposals (going by the comments from last time) and just want an excuse to act like a yob.

In which case I hope the police treat them in the same way they would any other mindless hooligan.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300

We had students protesting in Lancaster by 10am or so.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • W1 wrote:
    Most of the protesters probably haven't even read the proposals (going by the comments from last time) and just want an excuse to act like a yob.

In which case I hope the police treat them in the same way they would any other mindless hooligan.

If you're 15 and disenfrachised yet facing £27,000 of debt just to get a degree then what other means of connection with the government do you have? Good luck to them
    <a>road</a>
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    W1 wrote:

If you're 15 and disenfrachised yet facing £27,000 of debt just to get a degree then what other means of connection with the government do you have? Good luck to them
    It's not the 15 year olds protesting though, it's current students. Current students won't be affected by the cuts. At all.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291

You might change your mind about the same people in 20 years time when you're begging for a pension... :roll:

Students are angry because employers demand degrees, and yet those same employers demand students pay for the priviledge, despite the fact that that said generation screwed the economy and thus the young job prospects. Said generation has laden the country with ridiculous debt, and are now demanding the students who will eventually be tasked with paying off said debt to take on even more debt to try and get the quickly dissapearing jobs. Not cool.

Spot on. Kids are getting screwed. The sooner they wake up and start taking some stuff back the better.
    exercise.png
  • W1
    whyamihere wrote:
    W1 wrote:

It's not the 15 year olds protesting though, it's current students. Current students won't be affected by the cuts. At all.

Exactly. Get real - the people out there smashing up police vans aren't going to be hit by this one jot.

It's just an excuse for a riot.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    W1 wrote:

a) they have every right to act in solidarity with their future colleagues b) BBC are reporting lots of school age teenagers in the protest
    <a>road</a>
  • W1
    TheStone wrote:

Spot on. Kids are getting screwed. The sooner they wake up and start taking some stuff back the better.

Feel free to give them your house/TV/wages if you feel that strongly about it......
  • W1 wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

Feel free to give them your house/TV/wages if you feel that strongly about it......

The last 10 years credit boom and exponenential growth of the national debt has severely impacted the younger generations chance of ever getting a house. They might be trying to steal yours in a few years time.
    <a>road</a>
  • Wallace1492

:

I beg from no-one!!

I do have a lot of sympathy with the student situation. When I was at uni, i actually got a grant to go there, as well as all fees paid...
  • notsoblue
    W1 wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:
    W1 wrote:

Exactly. Get real - the people out there smashing up police vans aren't going to be hit by this one jot.

Soooooo, nobody should be protesting about this at all? Or only 15 yr olds should be out protesting? Have you considered that some of the students might want to do Masters or PhD? This would affect them.
  • W1
    W1 wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

The last 10 years credit boom and exponenential growth of the national debt has severely impacted the younger generations chance of ever getting a house. They might be trying to steal yours in a few years time.

Because in the last 10 years no first time buyer has bought a house?
  • notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:
    W1 wrote:

Soooooo, nobody should be protesting about this at all? Or only 15 yr olds should be out protesting? Have you considered that some of the students might want to do Masters or PhD? This would affect them.

And if they want to do a Masters or a PhD, why shouldn't they pay for it?