Students

14567810»

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,407
    DonDaddyD wrote:

My family have never been big earners, but always been big savers. My mum had 20 years to save between marrying my dad and me starting school, and save she did. She (and my dad) worked their backsides off, starting from basically nothing, neither of them ever having office jobs.

It is possible.

Furthermore, you can send your kids to all the schools you like, but they can still turn out useless.

EDIT: Wot JG and CP said.

I can respect that.

Personally don't have 20years to save (many don't and I wish I knew 20years ago). I'm quickly approaching borrowed time if Ms DDD has her wicked way. Plus she wants that damn ring :x

I have a plan, going OK so far.

Blimey, didn't spot that bit <does sums on fingers> Yes, not many people get that much time to save.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    This is exactly why people should take at least a year between school and uni, time to mature, get a job, appreciate an income, experience work, save up if you can and maybe travel a bit at the end - ie get used to being away from home. Makes the whole Uni and post uni thing less of a shock. I moved from Sussex to London after A-Levels, stayed with a mate then got a job in a pub with room (some meals), board and copious amounts of 'liberated' booze. Earned, spent, saved, learned. Invaluable. Now you don't need an expensive education to give yourself that experience.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    This is exactly why people should take at least a year between school and uni, time to mature, get a job, appreciate an income, experience work, save up if you can and maybe travel a bit at the end - ie get used to being away from home. Makes the whole Uni and post uni thing less of a shock. I moved from Sussex to London after A-Levels, stayed with a mate then got a job in a pub with room (some meals), board and copious amounts of 'liberated' booze. Earned, spent, saved, learned. Invaluable. Now you don't need an expensive education to give yourself that experience.

With unemployment rising, I'd suggest getting a job isn't that straightforward.
  • il_principe

Do me a favour, it's not that hard to get a job doing the things most British people don't seem to want to do, barwork, waiting, cafe etc etc, a lot of jobs that Brits seem to turn their noses up now - hence the number of non-work shy Europeans that do them instead...
  • rjsterry

Indeed, I was unlucky enough to share halls with some halfwits who were ever so excited about being away from home, being able to stay up late and drink too much without mum and dad telling them off. Some of them so clearly had no idea why they were there either.

I think getting rid of the assumption that what you do if you are even halfway academically gifted is GCSEs, A levels, then straight into Uni for three years 'coz that's what you do' can only be a good thing.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey

Do me a favour, it's not that hard to get a job doing the things most British people don't seem to want to do, barwork, waiting, cafe etc etc, a lot of jobs that Brits seem to turn their noses up now - hence the number of non-work shy Europeans that do them instead...

I graduated with a first, straight As etc and beyond a 4 month paid internship and the odd local temp work (very temp) I couldn't get a job for 12 months. I counted that I had applied to around 300 places, and had over 40 interviews, getting to 30 final round interviews. I applied to bars, tescos shelf stacking. They rejected me on the grounds they knew I would jump ship as soon as I founnd another job.

The unemployment level isn't so high just because people are lazy. If you think that, you clearly don't know what it's like to face rejection after rejection after rejection.

Turns out it worked for me quite well - I earn more than anyone of my peers and friends with the job I eventually got, but that wasn't without trying very hard to find work fo a long time.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    rjsterry wrote:
    Indeed, I was unlucky enough to share halls with some halfwits who were ever so excited about being away from home, being able to stay up late and drink too much without mum and dad telling them off. Some of them so clearly had no idea why they were there either.

Wild times grandad!
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    edited November 2010
    Two quick points:

In 2008, the average salary for a full-time employee {edited to add "in London"} was in fact £46,000. Source:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7802792.stm

Secondly, if DDD has not yet had the potentially uni-attending sprog, why does he not have 20 years to save? Am I missing something here?
    Rules are for fools.
  • il_principe

I graduated with a first, straight As etc and beyond a 4 month paid internship and the odd local temp work (very temp) I couldn't get a job for 12 months. I counted that I had applied to around 300 places, and had over 40 interviews, getting to 30 final round interviews. I applied to bars, tescos shelf stacking. They rejected me on the grounds they knew I would jump ship as soon as I founnd another job.

The unemployment level isn't so high just because people are lazy. If you think that, you clearly don't know what it's like to face rejection after rejection after rejection.

Turns out it worked for me quite well - I earn more than anyone of my peers and friends with the job I eventually got, but that wasn't without trying very hard to find work fo a long time.

I'm talking about pre-degree, short-term, low paid employment here. Not a career!
  • rjsterry
    W1 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Wild times grandad!

I will freely admit to being an old fart before my time.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Waddlie wrote:
    Two quick points:

In 2008, the average salary for a full-time employee was in fact £46,000. Source:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7802792.stm

Secondly, if DDD has not yet had the potentially uni-attending sprog, why does he not have 20 years to save? Am I missing something here?

What average is that? Mean is very misleading in this instance; modal salary would be more telling.

Secondly, the 20 years was with reference to school fees, not university, I think.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

I'm talking about pre-degree, short-term, low paid employment here. Not a career!
    Not strictly pre-degree, but I worked as a hospital cleaner in my holidays before graduating, and many of the people working there were graduates. I can also recommend it as a good way to knock a few pretensions out of you - burns ward and childrens' ward are particularly sobering.

I've also heard that some employers like undergraduates as short term employees as they tend to be a bit more conscientious.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey

My point was I couldn't even get that to fill the gap whilst I looked for a proper job.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

My family have never been big earners, but always been big savers. My mum had 20 years to save between marrying my dad and me starting school, and save she did. She (and my dad) worked their backsides off, starting from basically nothing, neither of them ever having office jobs.

It is possible.

Furthermore, you can send your kids to all the schools you like, but they can still turn out useless.

EDIT: Wot JG and CP said.

I can respect that.

Personally don't have 20years to save (many don't and I wish I knew 20years ago). I'm quickly approaching borrowed time if Ms DDD has her wicked way. Plus she wants that damn ring :x

I have a plan, going OK so far.

Blimey, didn't spot that bit <does sums on fingers> Yes, not many people get that much time to save.

Well, that's the advantage of having a plan for your kids from the point where you're made to go to secretarial college instead of university aged 17 by your own parents because Uni 'is wasted on girls'. As it happens, neither of her own kids got degrees either.

I wish I was as focused and organised as my mother is.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    rjsterry wrote:

Not strictly pre-degree, but I worked as a hospital cleaner in my holidays before graduating, and many of the people working there were graduates. I can also recommend it as a good way to knock a few pretensions out of you - burns ward and childrens' ward are particularly sobering.

I've also heard that some employers like undergraduates as short term employees as they tend to be a bit more conscientious.

Maybe you are just rubbish at interviews or are over qualified for the jobs you are going for?

+1 to il Principe - a year out to think about what you wanna do before you commit serious money to it.
  • rick_chasey
    gtvlusso wrote:
    +1 to il Principe - a year out to think about what you wanna do before you commit serious money to it.

Many courses do not allow students to do that.

Mainly maths based courses - they figure quite correctly that a year out from doing maths leaves you too rusty for when you start.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    gtvlusso wrote:

Mainly maths based courses - they figure quite correctly that a year out from doing maths leaves you too rusty for when you start.

OK, so there are exceptions... It's still generally a good idea, though, despite the snooty comment about "gap yahs", that someone made earlier.

Cheers,
    W.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Many of these posts reek of the assumption that all students went to college, got A-levels, went to Uni and or should have taken a gap year before going to Uni or after they graduated. And this by some divine wonderousness is the solution to getting a job.

Sigh.... (a big one) One rule and bit of advice for one group of people isn't true for all groups.

Some people don't go straight to Uni so therefore don't have the luxury of time to take a gap year. I, for example never had the luxury or in my mind the time to take a gap year, however, I have never been without a job except for one semester in the first year at Uni. Some people also want to spend that gap year travelling the World or something, as oppose to working and there is no harm in that.

There are many options, often driven by circumstances, responsibilities (some greater than others - I.e. the mother of my godchild who went to Uni soon after having her baby), perspective of the World, life experience and all that.

Oh and most importantly the success of the route taken is down to the individual.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Many of these posts reek of assumption

Mainly yours to be fair.
  • DonDaddyD

Wierdly I think you are both right.

I have seen both examples of what you are saying.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Many of these posts reek of assumption

Mainly yours to be fair.

Touché.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    gtvlusso wrote:

OK, so there are exceptions... It's still generally a good idea, though, despite the snooty comment about "gap yahs", that someone made earlier.

Cheers,
    W.

Yeah, that was me. It wasn't meant to be that snooty. Time spent working out what you want to do with your life and learning a few basic skills that your sixth form won't teach you is very useful - an extended holiday with some bungee jumping, less so, that was all I was trying to say.
    Pinnacle Monzonite