Is anyone else looking forward to the cold snap?

12346»

Comments

• fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Rolf F wrote:
    If you want ice tyres for commuting, you are much better off with the Marathon Winters. Ice Spikers are proper off road ice tyres.

Sure, I appreciate that, please see my blog post for more details.

What I disagree here though is calling the Marathon Winter a "commuting" tyre.

Depends on your commute surely, and the condition of the roads and traffic.

If my regular commuting roads were plowed and gritted, and I had planned to use my bike only on those, or if I had the money to buy multiple sets of tyres, I would probably have gone for the Marathon Winters.

But, depending on the conditions when it has snowed, I might opt for the NCN 4 which involves ungritted and offroad paths.

As such, my 'commuting' tyre is the Ice Spiker.

My post was to reassure anyone who might think the tyre could be overkill, that it is not really an issue.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    fnegroni wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    If you want ice tyres for commuting, you are much better off with the Marathon Winters. Ice Spikers are proper off road ice tyres.

Sure, I appreciate that, please see my blog post for more details.

What I disagree here though is calling the Marathon Winter a "commuting" tyre.

Depends on your commute surely, and the condition of the roads and traffic.

If my regular commuting roads were plowed and gritted, and I had planned to use my bike only on those, or if I had the money to buy multiple sets of tyres, I would probably have gone for the Marathon Winters.

But, depending on the conditions when it has snowed, I might opt for the NCN 4 which involves ungritted and offroad paths.

As such, my 'commuting' tyre is the Ice Spiker.

My post was to reassure anyone who might think the tyre could be overkill, that it is not really an issue.

Seems fair enough to me. I'd have thought there was a fair bit of overlap - the ice spikers would be better off road but OK on tarmac, the Winters better on tarmac but OK off road. Depends on the balance you want.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    have now gaffa taped bubble wrap around my shoes; nice and toasty on the way home but I'm thinking there must be a better solution
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    gbsahne wrote:
    have now gaffa taped bubble wrap around my shoes; nice and toasty on the way home but I'm thinking there must be a better solution

Oh i need a pic of that :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    gbsahne wrote:

I use these:

menslongleg.jpg

inside these:

D118MBWR.jpg

inside these:

PRORZOSH250_1_zoom.jpg

and my feet stay warm and comfortable.

On tyres my Continental Double Fighter II's are holding up fine in the snow @40 PSI. I had ordered Snow Studs but have cancelled as they are unnecessary. Even on ungritted and off-road sections.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Bitterly cold again on the way home tonight. The country sections were particuarly bad in some stretches, but everything apart from my face was fine.

I'm going to have to sort out something to keep my face warm while still allowing me to breathe, some of those stretches were painful

Ultimately very satisfying though, and I was sweating way more than I would've expected, clearly some balancing needs doing.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Bloody emigrants !! I was in Melbourne in May, it was nice in the daytime but freeeeezing at night. Have you noticed yet that they don't really do central heating ? ;)

You say that like it's a bad thing! It's brilliant - hot & sunny during the day, cold enough at night to snuggle up under the blankets with your loved one. And the trees are green all year round... <homesick sigh>
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    itboffin wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:

Oh i need a pic of that :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

sdfxuw.jpg

wonder if I can patent it?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Brill :lol::lol::lol:

nut-case
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Got the tyres, also got some merino wool socks and have the buff sorted out for my face.

Bring it on! :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    itboffin wrote:
    Brill :lol::lol::lol:

nut-case

I might do that on mine just for the hell of it, people think im mad cycling anyway
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    For some reason I've been dreaming about using the MTB with slicks to commute on.

There's no snow down south yet, so nothing to stop me using the the road bike...maybe it's a winter thing?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:

You must have spiked or snow tyre on there, nicklouse.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I just saw a patch of ice and I wanted to try to ride on it.

I fell over.

It was fun!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • i went out this morning it was -6 did about 30 miles and it got warmer, then it snowed, like a blizzard for 10 miles arrived back home like the abomnible snowman . its been snowing all day since, we now have 8-9 inches . built a great snowman this afternoon.
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    I've put the bianchi to bed until the salt vanishes, added another layer to the pile, replaced the water bottle with a thermos and put fresh tyres on the hybrid. Next week should be fun...
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    ive got these on my hybrid for the cold days. yes and like you keiran, I LOVE the cold. the challenge is seeing how little you can get away with wearing at -5celsius.

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... oduct=7245
  • AR4 is now out of it until Spring. Took the Cannon out in the woods yesterday in the snow......brilliant fun, Next few months the commute gets tougher on the MTB but WTF it'll be fun and at 52 i've been there and done it all before. :D
    Cannondale SL2 MTB FCN8
    Felt AR4 FCN4
  • cold :D

ice :(
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    camerone wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    -4 when i went out earlier

15536646476282317067410.jpg

thats a sackfull of snow since your last photo yesterday. are you commuting by bike in that!!??

I wanna be there....building a snowman/woman/person. not stuck inside an office in London. :cry:

and today

img0253ml.jpg

we had Sun as well
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Why are car drivers so much colder when they get into the office than cyclists?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!