Is anyone else looking forward to the cold snap?

Comments

• fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    camerone wrote:

thats a sackfull of snow since your last photo yesterday. are you commuting by bike in that!!??

I'd rather not be in a car by the looks of it!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Earlier I saw a motorbike courier riding around wearing no gloves. Nails!
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Cold??!!?!

We don't know the meaning of cold in this country...
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Saw a lady cyclist in a skort this morning. I shivered but was impressed as all the guys I saw were in full-length tights or knee length baggies. Myself, I was a tad warm in a jacket and two layers underneath.

Maybe a gilet in place of the jacket would be better?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    shm_uk wrote:
    Cold??!!?!

It's strange, really. I work with a guy who's Russian, and is used to experiencing average winter temperatures of -8/-10 Celsius, and as low as -20 more less, but he says it feels colder here. I've heard similar comments from friends in Canada. Something to do with the moisture content of the air, or wind chill or something.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Been using my Snow studs for the last two days. The fixed road bike hasn't moved.

Got the Snow Studs last winter.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Agent57 wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:
    Cold??!!?!

It's strange, really. I work with a guy who's Russian, and is used to experiencing average winter temperatures of -8/-10 Celsius, and as low as -20 more less, but he says it feels colder here. I've heard similar comments from friends in Canada. Something to do with the moisture content of the air, or wind chill or something.

it is the damp in the UK. also the old houses.

-35 over here is not unknown.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • JonGinge wrote:

I cycled to the station with no gloves earlier. I regretted it!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    JonGinge wrote:

Heated grips. ;)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Lost all feeling in my fingers this morning after 2 miles, had to bail and head home my hands were that cold, total trip 7 miles :oops:

I was wearing a pair of autumn / early winter gloves with extra liners - epic FAIL brrrrr

Even the postman said this morning it's much colder in my village than the main town just 7 miles away, don't I bleeding know it.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    itboffin wrote:
    Lost all feeling in my fingers this morning after 2 miles, had to bail and head home my hands were that cold....

If you can't feel them, they're not hurting! MTFU and carry on.
  • well no snow but continued c. zero degrees weather... The longs might have to come out of storage.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    shm_uk wrote:
    Cold??!!?!

And yet everyone I know says i'm crazy because i'm still wearing t-shirts :(
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Wore my new Lobster thermador gloves today ( http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=X0016 ) and my hands were too warm if anything. It was -2 outside, but my hands were sweating when I reached work.

Excellent! :D
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Not looking forward to it particularly, but I'm going to give the MTB a quick once over ready for monday soon. Not that I'll be riding if it's really snowy but it's a lot less twitchy in the slippy stuff.

Really could do with something in between the two, maybe some kind of hybrid tyoe bicycle, might have to invent one. :?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Came a cropper quite spectacularly on an icy patch on a country lane this evening. No traffic around and no injuries, luckily. In fact, it was bizarrely enjoyable skidding along the gorund for a while, although I was concerned about the bike as it scraped along the road.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • prawny wrote:
    Not looking forward to it particularly, but I'm going to give the MTB a quick once over ready for monday soon. Not that I'll be riding if it's really snowy but it's a lot less twitchy in the slippy stuff.

Really could do with something in between the two, maybe some kind of hybrid tyoe bicycle, might have to invent one. :?

CX bike with those mad studded dugast tubs on...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Agent57 wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:
    Cold??!!?!

I heard similar things again from Canadians. Humidity always makes things worse - weather in cold conditions or hot.

Cold today - I was on the MTB conditioning the new studded tyre (only one so far!) - seemed to take ages to get home and my thumbs always suffer more on the MTB - somehow, drop bars seem to lead to my fingers managing to stay slightly warmer.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    prawny wrote:

It's called a CX bike, you do have one don't you ..? :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    My first 25 miles with the Ice Spikers on dry tarmac confirmed the initial impressions.

That these tyres do not pose a problem if venturing out on dry tarmac in preparation for a big freeze, snow or ice.

So, if you can tolerate the very loud noise they emit, and the additional weight and slight increase in rolling resistance, you can use them with confidence.

Whether it would be wise to use them for any length of time on dry tarmac is another matter.

I am going to put my main wheelset on tonight, equipped with some lightweight knobbly tyres, and keep the Ice Spikers on standby on the spare wheelset.

P251110_09.34.jpg
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    shm_uk wrote:
    Cold??!!?!

GF's sister is over visiting from Canada. She alternates between mocking our "Arctic conditions" forecasts and complaining about how cold it is... :roll:
    Misguided Idealist
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    fnegroni wrote:
    My first 25 miles with the Ice Spikers on dry tarmac confirmed the initial impressions.

That these tyres do not pose a problem if venturing out on dry tarmac in preparation for a big freeze, snow or ice.

So, if you can tolerate the very loud noise they emit, and the additional weight and slight increase in rolling resistance, you can use them with confidence.

Whether it would be wise to use them for any length of time on dry tarmac is another matter.

If you want ice tyres for commuting, you are much better off with the Marathon Winters. Ice Spikers are proper off road ice tyres.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    nicklouse wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:
    Cold??!!?!

Yep - cold and wet gives the British Isles a unique feeling.

Apparently Melbourne gets "dry heat, so you can take a higher temperature fine" - well it was 31 degrees on my birthday this week - about 30 degrees more than I'd've liked!!

Enjoy the snow peeps - think of me staving off sun burn!! :D
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • itboffin
    I've been riding the CX all week with proper CX tyres now apart from being shite scared of the PF every trip i'm loving the smoothness over bumps and general rough, plus my base pace is still a respectable 17mph avg.

fitted a zefal anti PF strip tonight lets see if it works.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    TommyEss wrote:
    Apparently Melbourne gets "dry heat, so you can take a higher temperature fine" - well it was 31 degrees on my birthday this week - about 30 degrees more than I'd've liked!!

Bloody emigrants !! I was in Melbourne in May, it was nice in the daytime but freeeeezing at night. Have you noticed yet that they don't really do central heating ?

:wink:
    Misguided Idealist
  • itboffin
    edited November 2010
    TommyEss wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:
    Cold??!!?!

Yep - cold and wet gives the British Isles a unique feeling.

Let me see now ....
  • -5 on the way in this morning.

Full on proper freezing cold and it was great. The roads were a little iffy in places but I did the busier route rather than risk the real back road option.

The only real problem was that my toes were a little cold, but I think this is because the socks I was wearing are lttle too thick for the MW80s and the circulation was cut slightly.

Oh yeah and see the new thread...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    could not get up the drive this morning.

new landlord forgot to sort out the snow plow.
    about a foot fell last night.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Another beautiful day here...the sun has already melted the ice.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • We just had a fire alarm test. My jacket was at the other end of the office.

I have nips like chapel hat pegs.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter