Is anyone else looking forward to the cold snap?

Comments

• rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I like those better. Much more interesting than the Met office :D
  • rhext wrote:

According to the Met Office - it is raining now.

It's not.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • No
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    HB, did you get a Vitamin in the end?

Do you mean a suppository?
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    My autosocks arrived today.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • rhext
    rhext wrote:

It's not.

No, but there are a few clouds around and you can understand how they might get confused.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    antfly wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    HB, did you get a Vitamin in the end?

Do you mean a suppository?

:lol: he was referring to the £70 cheap as chips trip to the pub/shops type bike that's recently been discontinued by decathlon.

although technically it does go between your bumcheeks. :D
    Hat + Beard
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Was snowing when I woke up, has been sleet on and off all day. Snow Studs should turn up before it gets too bad next week. Can't wait to see the looks on the doubters faces.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rhext wrote:

It's not.

I'd rather trust to the forecaster that relies on millions of pounds worth of computer software and is relied on by the emergency services etc than the one that uses a few strings of seaweed and is relied on by Metro :lol: . You won't do better than the Met Office unless by luck.

Will be putting my Schwalbe Marathon Winter on tonight... And hopefully ordering one for the back!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Ok, got my Ice Spikers sitting next to me in the office waiting for me to fit them to the spare rims.

Now, question is, the instructions say that the tyres must be ridden gently on hard surface for 25 miles before being used properly. This is to apparently ensure the studs are seated properly.

I usually follow instructions to the letter and will therefore need to do one commute on them tomorrow to ensure they are ready for when the snow comes.

But, has anyone ever bothered? And if not, are there really any ill effects?
  • antfly
    It's not going to snow.
  • antfly wrote:
    It's not going to snow.

Ummm.... denial is a terrible thing. There is white stuff falling out of the sky and settling in the North of England and all over Scotland right now. :lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Initialised
    antfly wrote:
    It's not going to snow.

Ummm.... denial is a terrible thing. There is white stuff falling out of the sky and settling in the North of England and all over Scotland right now. :lol:
    I got caught up in it but 30 minutes in the snow beats an hour being traffic
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    One Marathon Winter now installed on front wheel of MTB.......plus new pair of pads on the rear as another pad has just fallen off the back plate :roll: Will have loads of resistance from the back as I can't force the calipers back any further. Hate disc brakes! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    my central heating has broken so not enjoying the cold snap at all :cry:
    FCN = 4
  • antfly
    antfly wrote:
    It's not going to snow.

Except in Scotland and the far north....
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    Im actually loving this cold weather, just wrap up warm, shimano mw80 on and just ride a little more carefully.

seems that when it gets cold / rains / or windy then people forget how to drive so there seems loads of traffic but not a problem when on bike.

nice fresh air is much better than sitting on bus or in car. winter bike just needs tweaking for the snow :)
  • fnegroni
    Just fitted the pair of Ice Spikers on the spare rims.

Been on a test drive for a couple of minutes and they feel OK.

They grip just fine but you can tell on dry tarmac they are not as good as proper slick tyres.

Yet they don't have any grip issues either: climbing up a steep incline a couple of times with no rear wheel slip.

The only time I feel a bit 'floaty' is when doing a tight upright turn at very slow speed.

Currently running at 40PSI front and 50PSI rear.

Braking is positive but I will wait until the 25 miles run-in is over before making any comments on their performance on dry roads, and deciding whether it's worth keeping them on before the snow arrives or instead put the main wheel set back on, which now has Panaracer FireXCPro's (1.8 inch) on.
  • Initialised
    antfly wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    It's not going to snow.

Just hoping it's not too bad tomorrow, was expecting my Snow Studs today but they aren't here yet.
  • Snow on the tyres this morning.

I mean, I didn't have to get snow on the tyres this morning - there was only a light dusting in places. But my inner child took over and I steered into it and watched it turn the tyres white for a couple of revolutions before it disappeared. Brought a smile to my face.

And then I turned into the b@st@rd headwind.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • antfly wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    It's not going to snow.

and apparently Norfolk...
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rhext
    Yes, but it's not going to snow in Derby. I'm in Derby and I always miss out on the snow.

I have to confess, it was a little parky on the way in this morning!
  • Initialised
    Buy Schwlbe Snow Studs still hadn't turned up, so I went a bit slower than normal. Was still the first to turn up at work and the only one not late. The extra layers were overkill.

Permission to feel smug.
  • antfly
    antfly wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    It's not going to snow.

and apparently Norfolk...
    A light dusting apparently, nothing to get excited about...anyway it's a beautiful day here on the west coast.
  • rhext wrote:
    Yes, but it's not going to snow in Derby. I'm in Derby and I always miss out on the snow.

I have to confess, it was a little parky on the way in this morning!

Well - you never know

Met office have just issues the following:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ ... nings.html
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    -4 when i went out earlier

15536646476282317067410.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • fnegroni
    Update on ice spikers:

Even on dry tarmac, had to lower the pressure slightly, maybe down to 30 or so PSI, on my way to work: these tyres have really stiff sidewalls.

Grip is fine, they are LOUD, but weren't much slower than my usual commute recently: in the summer on slicks I can do it at 18mph av., but recently had been more like 16 av.
    With the ice spikers on, it took roughly the same time, so can't be less than 15mph av., and I wasn't pushing it.

Climbing is harder, but once at speed they are quite solid and absorb potholes with ease.

Had to take mudguards off though since mines are not wide enough.
  • I've got this Met Office weather gadget in my browser and it's been displaying the temperature as 1.7 degrees C since at least midsummer. Finally, it's just about accurate...
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    nicklouse wrote:

thats a sackfull of snow since your last photo yesterday. are you commuting by bike in that!!??
  • camerone wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

thats a sackfull of snow since your last photo yesterday. are you commuting by bike in that!!??

I wanna be there....building a snowman/woman/person. not stuck inside an office in London. :cry: