Is anyone else looking forward to the cold snap?

Comments

• But will they actually work in snow?
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    To work in snow all you need is mud tyres.

The studs are for additional grip on ice.

If you commute on icy but otherwise plowed roads (black ice) then you need studded tyres with a shallow tread.

Since I plan to ride on all sorts, I need mud tyres with studs (ice spikers).

Last year I commuted on mud tyres and they performed great until I hit sheet ice where I just had to put my feet flat to the floor for additional stability.

I recommend in any case to lower the saddle and to use flats, not clipless pedals.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Strith wrote:
    Love it. Nothing better than a crisp ride in the morning,. Unfortunatly my MTB is back home in wales, used to love hitting snowy trails.
    I prefer my ice at the bottom of a G'n'T though.

Surely it floats on top? Or are you using heavy water :D ?
  • We've got dire warnings about serious sub-zero temps (for the UK) for the rest of the week.

(and snow... CX tyres, CX tyres...)

Am I the only one looking forward to the ride in when it's guaranteed to be lung shatteringly cold?

Wandering into the office with a healthly glow, sweating slightly and trying to cool down while everyone else looks like a big furry multi-coloured snowman.... then you get the inevitable "You cycled in THIS?????" :shock:

I LOVE cycling when it's freezing me.

yeah can't wait, got my winter gear and glove layering sorted, I took my studded tyre bike this morning just to scrub the newness off the tyres. maxed out tyre pressure and an interesting experience on tarmac but great on my country park bit, pinging along on the grass. I'm going to drop the pressure for home to see if it makes them a bit less skittish on hard top bring on the snow.

This years temperature range for me riding has been 42 degrees C -15 to +28.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Looking forward to it, hopefully the Snow Studs will keep me going. Ordered a sledge too.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    BOND-bike.jpg

Bond bike FTW !!
    FCN 3/5/9
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    just ordered the marathon winters from wiggle.

I did double check that there wasn't already a backlog of orders on the stock due in by end of nov and they said they're expecting 100 items and currently only have orders for about 15 in case anyone else was considering them.
    Hat + Beard
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    thinking about getting the longs out for next week

and the lobster gloves will be out soon too by the looks of things
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    So a gentle leadup to the cold snap and I wimp out of going running tonight. I have a 5 mile cross country race on Saturday................ at the moment, anyway :roll:

I HATE THE COLD :(
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    out side our office today

img0244q.jpg

its coming your way.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cafewanda
    nicklouse, I'm not your friend :P :cry:

I wonder if I could work from home til March? :(
  • Cafewanda wrote:

CW - my other half suggests you cycle faster :lol:
    shall I do the honours and make him see the error of his comment...or do you want that pleasure?? :lol::lol::lol:
  • I'll be down to whichever shop sells the Schwalbe as soon as my new card comes in (sec alert cancelled my old one :evil: )
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • nicklouse
    Mmmm

img0424o.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I'm looking into getting a second hand bike for the winter period so I can continue to cycle to work (the trek on skinny tyres won't be an option) seen a couple half decent bikes today for about £100 which would do nicely for the winter. :D
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • might put the knobblies back on... handy having a fundamental mtb under the scalper.

Nice fcn raiser too ;) You'll hear me coming though
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Just had this posted on Scoobynet:

ECM0-96.jpg
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • nicklouse
    looks like -16/18 for me..... :D
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda wrote:

shall I do the honours and make him see the error of his comment...or do you want that pleasure?? :lol::lol::lol:

You first sweetie. I am quite happy to let him have a 'reminder' if necessary :twisted:

So dinner and now a snack and a hot drink. I'm going to have to MTFU and run otherwise I'll need to join Fat Club if this cold snap drags on :roll:
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    BOND-bike.jpg

Bond bike FTW !!
    Ortis (gadget show) tested it on a ski slope, wasn't impressed.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Mr Plum wrote:
    I don't mind the cold at all, but I hate icy roads :(

+1 to that :-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • hatbeard
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

You first sweetie. I am quite happy to let him have a 'reminder' if necessary :twisted:

So dinner and now a snack and a hot drink. I'm going to have to MTFU and run otherwise I'll need to join Fat Club if this cold snap drags on :roll:

I cycled home AND ran 5miles tonight... just saying :P

edit: and the running was hill sprints. :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    HB, did you get a Vitamin in the end?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Cafewanda
    HB, I hate a show-off :P :P

Anyways, the sausage rolls tasted delish 8)
  • hatbeard
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    HB, did you get a Vitamin in the end?
    realised I needed some new winter clothing more than I needed a second bike.
    Hat + Beard
  • I really hope we get some epic snow in London again. It'll give me a chance to break out the Orange P7 and ride past all the people waiting at bus stops in the snow for buses that are snowed into the depots. Again.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • I've just checked the local weather forecast :shock:

Monday morning around here is going to be lethal (I mean that literally) Saturday forecast is for about 3 inches of snow, Sunday is showing a MAXIMUM temperature of -1 and minimum Sunday -> Monday of -8 :shock: :shock:

This means that there will be frozen snow on all the minor roads around here and the main roads will be an ice rink until enough traffic goes over to melt it.

Whatever happens I am not driving in on Monday. I'll be safer on the bike (and having more fun) and I am definitely getting the snow tyres on the bike this weekend.

Good Luck everyone! :D
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Rooner
    Rooner Posts: 109
    Look forward to the cold crisp air.....dread the ice. Broke my wrist two winters ago coming off on ice (on knobblies as well), this winter had a couple of terrifying moments when approaching a gentle bend on a main road to discover black ice along whole lengthm so didn't negotiate corner and rode straight across, unable to stop. Luckily cars couldn't make it either else would have been unpleasant.

Soon as the icy stuff hits here, its only running for me. Should be able to run one way and bus (yuk) the other, but thats going to be hard going for more than a week or two
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I've just checked the local weather forecast :shock:

Monday morning around here is going to be lethal (I mean that literally) Saturday forecast is for about 3 inches of snow, Sunday is showing a MAXIMUM temperature of -1 and minimum Sunday -> Monday of -8 :shock: :shock:

This means that there will be frozen snow on all the minor roads around here and the main roads will be an ice rink until enough traffic goes over to melt it.

Whatever happens I am not driving in on Monday. I'll be safer on the bike (and having more fun) and I am definitely getting the snow tyres on the bike this weekend.

Good Luck everyone! :D

Errr, which local forecast are you looking at? The Met office doesn't seem to think it's going to be anything like as bad as that. If it is, I might plan on staying in bed!
  • Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X