expensive bike

u05harrisb
u05harrisb Posts: 531
edited November 2010 in MTB general
how many people do you think who own these very expensive bikes actually use them for their intended purpose and/or are capable of riding? it makes me laugh every time i pass people on the local bridlways (living in an afluwent area) all seem to have really expensive full sus norco, giants and spesh's or have scott scale 10s or 20s, then i woop their asses every time on my £150 knackered ass bike.

makes you wander what would happen if you had there bikes :D

you guys have the same sort of things your way?

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Had this thread before and jsut as boring then
  • If you've not got at least £2k worth of bike, you're a bad person and rubbish at bikes. That's just a fact.
    If your bike is only worth £150 you should go put it in a skip and take up walking instead.
    I'd not be seen dead on anything worth less than a grand.

kthxbye
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    If you've not got at least £2k worth of bike, you're a bad person and rubbish at bikes. That's just a fact.
    If your bike is only worth £150 you should go put it in a skip and take up walking instead.

kthxbye

LMAO :lol:

I did pass a few guys on full sus SWORKS thingies a while ago that got overtaken by a girl on a 5sp folding bike on BKB They were hopeless, and I nearly killed one of them when the wobbled across the trail in front of me.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    Good luck to them, thats all I have to say! Keeps the bike industry going!
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I was out earlier on my Stumjpumper FSR with a couple of mates, and we were riding down a bridleway to meet up with some mates before doing our local loop and this youth comes tearing past us like he was on a mission.

God knows what he was riding, it didn't look in great condition. I was worried something was going to fall off and cause him to crash right in front of us.
  • The last time a poor person posted a thread in this theme, someone posted that they found it funny that people on crap bikes thought always thought they were better riders than people on betters bikes than them.

I laughed so much I dropped my caviar on the floor! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • thats it.

im selling my orange and going to halfords!

Burn it and you'll get more for it as scrap alloy..
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    edited November 2010
    I've also noticed this a lot more recently.

People running with £3k+ Orange, Marin, Trek etc etc... bikes.
    They unload the bike in the car park, do a few laps around cars and people, pumping up and down on the suspension as they go. They then hit the trail and can't descend down even basic stuff.

Sure it's their money and they can spend it how they wish.
    It's the old saying of rider over bike anytime.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    u05harrisb wrote:
    how many people do you think who own these very expensive bikes actually use them for their intended purpose and/or are capable of riding? it makes me laugh every time i pass people on the local bridlways (living in an afluwent area) all seem to have really expensive full sus norco, giants and spesh's or have scott scale 10s or 20s, then i woop their asses every time on my £150 knackered ass bike.

Give them time, they'd probably only recently stolen the bikes.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    u05harrisb wrote:

Yes.

I hate some of them even more for being old as well as wealthy :roll:
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    If you've not got at least £2k worth of bike, you're a bad person and rubbish at bikes. That's just a fact.

kthxbye

:lol::lol::lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • hyperman
    hyperman Posts: 232
    god you must feel really good about yourself laughing as you pass people on their expensive bikes on your £150 piece of crap, you must feel really good knowng that you've done so well in life that you can afford to spend a whole £150 on a mountain bike....give yourself a pat on the back young man, one day you will grow up and realise that it doesn't matter what people are riding, or how they are riding, only that they are riding and keeping this beautiful pastime alive....
  • What I really hate is a local scroat riding round the streets on a £1700 full suspension bike while I ride the trails on a crap cheap ass bike.

That's because it's my £1700 trek they're riding on!
  • u05harrisb wrote:

makes you wander what would happen if you had there bikes :D

why do you care so much??? each to there own and all that malarky ....
    Yeti 575 2009

Orange Crush 2011

Enduro Expert 2011
  • While were at it, let's complain about people wearing gucci while going to lunch at a normal restaurant. Let's complain because their not in a 100pound per person restaurant.
  • Im new to MTB and bought a Scale 35. Why? Because I wanted to!! I could have bought a £400 bike and notice no difference but I wanted it so I bought it! I'm by no means all that fit and not that fast but to be honest who gives a toss? To me people who say things like that are jelous? :roll: This thread is BORING!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'll race you down BKB, my expensive bike goes fairly fast! Sadly I won't be able to talk to you though, I prefer not to mix with the hoi polloi.
  • The cheaper the bike, the less attractive you are to the opposite sex.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I remember 15 years or so back, riding my old hi-tensile steel Raleigh bike through the Dalby Forest drive marvelling at all the flash bikes, Trek Y frames, Gary Fishers, ProFlex and things. Seems quite tragic that now instead of oggling, people feel the need to try and better them, then come and gloat on the internet.

Maybe the people on expensive bikes are just out for a trundle? Maybe they've biked miles further than you in the first place? Perhaps they work in an office, earning lots of cash and want to maximize their fun at the weekend?

Get over it, you make yourself sound massively jealous.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    people ride what they can afford, if it makes you feel better overtaking someone on an expensive bike...great :D but aren't you just jealous that you can't afford one?

i drive a fairly nice golf and i passed a farrari on the motorway the otherday oh how i berrated him for driving slower than me..how dare he be able to afford to drive a car like that and only do 70mph on the motorway!!!!!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    edited November 2010
    people ride what they can afford, if it makes you feel better overtaking someone on an expensive bike...great :D but aren't you just jealous that you can't afford one?

i drive a fairly nice golf and i passed a ferrari on the motorway the otherday oh how i berrated him for driving slower than me..how dare he be able to afford to drive a car like that and only do 70mph on the motorway!!!!!
  • Just another person that can't afford an expensive bike and feels the need to justify themselves. Yawn.
    LOL road riding.
  • SDK2007 wrote:
    I've also noticed this a lot more recently.

People running with £3k+ Orange, Marin, Trek etc etc... bikes.
    They unload the bike in the car park, do a few laps around cars and people, pumping up and down on the suspension as they go. They then hit the trail and can't descend down even basic stuff.

Sure it's their money and they can spend it how they wish.
    It's the old saying of rider over bike anytime.

do you follow these people waiting to see if they can descend?
    LOL road riding.
  • gers84
    gers84 Posts: 32
    I rode around on a coblled together on-one for a few years whilst I was a student, Now I'm working I've bought a fairly decent yeti 575 and a few new bits and piece.

So offcourse I now look down on anybody on a old knackered MTB :lol:
  • Doombrain wrote:
    Just another person that can't afford an expensive bike and feels the need to justify themselves. Yawn.
    I'm noticing this a lot - seriously, does everyone who rides a hardtail think that they are a riding god and anyone on a FS is having a mid-life crisis and can't ride?

In which case I'm better than all of you 'cause I've done the black run at Afan on a fully rigid '92 Marin with 1.95 tyres and cantis, so :P

:wink:
    ::'11 Pitch Pro::
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    u05harrisb wrote:
    how many people do you think who own these very expensive bikes actually use them for their intended purpose and/or are capable of riding?

I’m would appear to be one of these type people you’re referring to and yes, I can ride thank you very much. Oh and the rear mech on my MTB RACE bike cost more than your bike did… I can afford it, so why shouldn't I spend my money how I please.
    *AL* wrote:
    I hate some of them even more for being old as well as wealthy

Oh Hai!
    anyone on a FS is having a mid-life crisis and can't ride?

Oh Hai!
  • Chalky76
    Chalky76 Posts: 260
    it won't have been me on my £4,000+ full sus machine that you overtook, i would never take it out this time of year, surely it would get all wet and muddy?
    ride your bike like a kid whilst you still can

Transition Blindside = http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceychalk/5335403095/
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    Doombrain wrote:
    do you follow these people waiting to see if they can descend?
    LOL, I'm not a stalker :D
    Usually they'll set off xx minutes before our group and we'll catch them up somewhere around the trail. Or, whilst having a time out chat session you'll see riders through the tress walking down sections.

I guess we all have to start somewhere :)

What I find amusing is people with flash bikes who can't ride and feel the need to have a million excuses as to why they are slow that day.
  • u05harrisb wrote:
    i woop their asses every time on my £150 knackered ass bike.
    You are amazing!

I don't believe for 1 minute that you have never been overtaken by another rider? If that is true you are obviously riding in the wrong places. If you think you are that good, why don't you enter your local XC races, so you can find out how good you are/aren't.

Just remember in 5 or 10 years, when you are no longer a student, you may be able to afford a more expensive, better spec'ed, lighter bike. Although you will probably only moan then, that people/students/kids on £150 bikes are overtaking you and ruining the trails! You will probably expect them to yield to you.

Your post just goes against the thing I love about mountain biking. It doesn't matter whether you ride a rigid or suspension bike. It doesn't matter if your bike cost £100 or £5000. If doesn't matter what your ability is, mountain bikers welcome ALL riders that love the thrill of off road riding.

Maybe next time you overtake somebody on an expensive bike, you could pull over and have a chat with then. Ask them about their bike and why the choose it. Ask them where they ride etc.