Show us your winter bikes

Comments

• Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    matterai wrote:
    Mine. I know the chain is not on the big ring - sorry

photo.JPG

Nowt wrong with that. Looks good-like the guards. It fulfills the criteria! :D
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • matterai
    matterai Posts: 176
    Thanks

Mud flap to be added as it's club requirement.

The stays may be moved to go over the guards as apparently it is wrong as it is.
  • Supergoose
    matterai wrote:
    Thanks

Yes! That is proper winter bike chat. Wish it was compulsory in my club. Im sure Crud Guards are great but you get a free shower when following someone with them. :evil:

Are the guards salmons?
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Supergoose wrote:
    matterai wrote:
    Thanks

Yes! That is proper winter bike chat. Wish it was compulsory in my club. Im sure Crud Guards are great but you get a free shower when following someone with them. :evil:

Are the guards salmons?

You can add a flap to the new ones...
  • matterai
    matterai Posts: 176
    I think the guards are salmons. It has some signature on it but I can never read it and someone gave me them/the bike
  • Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    edited November 2010
    KINESIS TK2 57CM
    IMAG0040.jpg
    IMAG0046.jpg

57cm frame
    Ultegra and 105 mix groupset (brakes Tectro :( long drops)
    Open pro rims on durace hub (front) 105 hub rear
    Vittoria Pave 24mm tyres (very good)
    Richey WCS alu bar and stem
    No name alu seatpost
    Arione saddle with superglue holding peeling-away trim down
    SkS chromoplastic guards - note tape on front guard trying to stop cracked guard from splitting, the guard ripped in half later that ride. These guards split too easy, I keep trying to reduce tension in them to avoid but still problems
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Fat Head wrote:
    SkS chromoplastic guards - note tape on front guard trying to stop cracked guard from splitting, the guard ripped in half later that ride. These guards split too easy, I keep trying to reduce tension in them to avoid but still problems

might be something to do with the way you have the stays fitted - there is supposed to be a lot more space between them than that. The front guard has cracked approximately where the first stay should be secured, but for some reason you have them both fitted at the end of the guard.

Take a look on my Surosa on p1 - I've always fitted the stays like that (as have all the others on here, as far as I can tell) - never had any problems with SKS guards....
  • Fat Head
    edited November 2010
    softlad, just remembered my guards are sks commuter and not chromoplastic guards and as such can only be fitted in this way. i didn't realise the chromos have a sturdier fitting system and needless to say i will be buying them in the future!

thanks for the suggestion though as I ran down the stairs like a kid on xmas morning thinking I had the answer only to realise that they cannot be adjusted that way
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Fat Head wrote:
    softlad, just remembered my guards are sks commutter and not chromoplastic guards and as such can only be fitted in this way. i didn't realise the chromos has a sturdier fitting system and needless to say i will be buying them in the future!

thanks for the suggestion though as I ran down the stairs like a kid on xmas morning thinking I had the answer only to realise that they cannot be adjusted that way
    and the Chromoplastics are extremely tough, very unlikely to crack, the "secu-clip" is supposed to release (and does) if anything gets jammed.

Looks like others have had the commuter version split
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    2r57odv.jpg

Now had the Crud race guards

Nice bike, interesting that you've mixed Shimano shifters with Campag wheels, do you have any problems with that setup?

I do the same but the other way around.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    4406417282_330b6f0304.jpg
    Planet X by redddraggon, on Flickr
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    19112010049.jpg
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • geebee2
    geebee2 Posts: 248
    About 20 years old, and until recently my only bike.

5179962613_9cfc77d151.jpg
  • I find it quite shocking the amount of 'winter' bikes that seem to have nothing in the way of winter protection?

Do you guys enjoy getting covered in crud or do you only actualy ride in the winter on those once in a blue moon days when it's totally dry? :?:
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • Fat Head
    a_n_t wrote:
    19112010049.jpg

no evidence of food having been eaten in that kitchen. not good. must do better.
  • chunkytfg wrote:
    I find it quite shocking the amount of 'winter' bikes that seem to have nothing in the way of winter protection?

Do you guys enjoy getting covered in crud or do you only actualy ride in the winter on those once in a blue moon days when it's totally dry? :?:

Can't agree more with your sentiments. Far too many folk out these days riding sileage monsters with little regard for those riding around them. Most of them will take these clipcrap guards off and ride sportives on the same bike next year then cry as their bottom brackets and hubs grind to a shuddering halt caked in turd womdering if bearing failure is a common problem - only for idiots like them it is.
  • I better pic of my Winter bike sporting my newish rear wheels. OPenProCd rim on 105 hub

PB240982.jpg
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • DSC00084-1.jpg

Any excuse to post a pic. :D

This is the best bike on this thread. Much better than some of these other tart's handbags which look like they'll never see a gritted road in a month of Sundays.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513

This is the best bike on this thread. Much better than some of these other tart's handbags which look like they'll never see a gritted road in a month of Sundays.

I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing with you, but why is it the 'best bike on this thread'..??
  • Anonymous
    There's sone very grouchy Mancunians on this thread :lol:
  • Anonymous
    There's sone very grouchy Mancunians on this thread :lol:
  • Loving some of the winter bikes. Lot of them cost more than my summer bike. :shock:
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I finished prepping the single speed yesterday...

IMGP1668.jpg

IMGP1669.jpg

IMGP1670.jpg

For strength training when the roads are in derailleur-killing form. Once bitten, twice bitten, three times shy!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Pork Sword
    Pork Sword Posts: 213
    edited January 2013
    [imgStaffRoom077.jpg]

Here's my Winter steed... a Sabbath September (de-stickered) Not sure how much use it's going to get before Chrimbo as I've got the dreaded lurgy and am on Holiday but it should get the cr@p knocked out if it in the new year - as long as we're all not housebound by a repeat of January this year. Not too sure about the Campag stuff but as it's now on the bike I'm stuck with it until it wears out... Shimano Ultegra for me next time as I find the Italian stuff a bit too tempermental and needs constant fettling to keep the gears indexed...
    let all your saddles be comfy and all your rides less bumpy....
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    LSRed2.jpg

Showing an eclectic mix of wheels on this one, usually has a powertap open pro on the back with a Vittoria Open Pave tyre, to match the front...

One of the best looking bikes I've seen - full stop!

Nearly got a Siena with Ultegra about 18 months ago before deciding that I could a Ribble Deda Nero Corsa, custom XACD Ti and Scott MTB for less. After seeing your post on here NapD I REGRET that move more than ever now. Your bikes the dog's swingers mate. Might just have to start saving the pennies and get one (trouble is, the strength of the Dollar against the pound has made top-end Litespeeds more exclusive than ever...). :shock:
  • Anonymous
    Cheers mate!

It's a great workhorse, gets plenty of abuse but takes it in it's stride!

The XACD frames are meant to be grand, at the time I didn't have the confidence to give them my own specs and a good deal on this Litespeed came along.
  • Pork Sword
    Pork Sword Posts: 213
    edited January 2013
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Cheers mate!

It's a great workhorse, gets plenty of abuse but takes it in it's stride!

The XACD frames are meant to be grand, at the time I didn't have the confidence to give them my own specs and a good deal on this Litespeed came along.

Sabbath September frames I've seen... look a bit dull compared to Van Nicholas but I'm assured the ride is just as good. It seems to ride great.
  • Supergoose
    Pork Sword wrote:
    [imgStaffRoom077.jpg]

Here's my Winter steed... a custom build XACD titanium from China. £335 .

Mnn, I would wager that is the same frame as mine! Sabbath September, mine cost a grand :|
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • softlad wrote:

I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing with you, but why is it the 'best bike on this thread'..??

I just like the look of it. Combination of its age, colour etc. I just prefer older bikes. Don't take it personally if you have one of the tart's handbags I refer to !! :wink: