Superstar Wheels

1235»

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    No, and I didn't do that much riding since David wrecked himself the first ride so dad still has wheels as well
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    peter413 wrote:
    Word of warning about the hubs that I have just found out after taking the cassette off.

The freehubs DO mark up with basic cassettes. I nearly had to whack mine with a hammer to get it off and this is only after a few rides.

Thought that may interest a few people, these wheels just get better and better :roll:

I would say that would be obvious if the body was Alloy, the more I read your comments the more it sounds like user error.

good luck :?
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I know they are alloy but if you read up what Superstar say in their description the freehub should be durable enough but since they marked up and the cassette had to be forced off (which has also damaged the cassette) this is obviously not the case
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Alloy freehubs do wear but not usually this fast. How could it be user error?

PS SHUT UP PETE. At least for now.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Northwind wrote:

dont listen to him pete, i think it is important for these things to be aired in public. its the only way to get these things dealt with.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    peter413 wrote:
    Ok, looks like dad might be needing new wheels then :(
    peter413 wrote:
    No, and I didn't do that much riding since David wrecked himself the first ride so dad still has wheels as well

I don't get this reference to your dad's wheels... Are you saying that you trashed yours, and you're willing to go trash your dads because that is better than you riding slow? Or not riding at all? Please correct me if I'm wrong. But it comes across like your saying 'to hell with anyone else's kit if I've knackered mine'.
    I wouldn't have bothered commenting but frankly I'm gutted you'd consider trashing someone else's kit as an acceptable consequence of braking your own gear - and I lend my stuff to people now and then! Maybe I won't now.
  • Northwind
    Poor effort there.

Here's the thing. Hopefully Pete's finally shut up, but what you've got here is just a bit of a case of Typing While Annoyed, along with a fair bit of youthful naivety if you ask me. But he's a good guy, and I seriously doubt he's done anything wrong with these wheels. People just seem intent on stirring the pot, and making a little problem into a big problem, and giving him more and more rope. If he ends up having bother getting this sorted, sure you can say he's brought it upon himself but at the same time you lot aren't helping, and it's not you that'll end up out of pocket if this goes south.

Neil at Superstar probably understands, he's had his bad internet forum experiences too, but some of you guys seem tothink it's fun to make things worse for people. It's not a bloody game for everyone.

Anyway, rant over but ffs people, think before you stir.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Perhaps he should learn to think before he writes.
    It's not 'a bit of a case of Typing While Annoyed', it was a number of posts, over quite a long time.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I can see where he is coming from, he's venting - I don't blame him for that. But a little perspective needs to be taken. Saying his dad's wheels are a willing sacrifice really rilled me.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    he's 16/17 with a body and head full of natural chemical silly. there isn't a monkey on stick here who hasn't suffered half baked verbal diarrhoea at that age....and older.
  • Northwind
    he's 16/17 with a body and head full of natural chemical silly. there isn't a monkey on stick here who hasn't suffered half baked verbal diarrhoea at that age....and older.

Yup, that's pretty much what I'm getting at. I was a total raging c*ck at that age even without the internet to egg me on (they hadn't invented it luckily)

I wasn't getting at any one person btw, sorry if anyone feels like I was having a go. This whole thread just narked me from start to finish, with a few heroic exceptions.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Northwind wrote:
    Poor effort there.

Here's the thing. Hopefully Pete's finally shut up, but what you've got here is just a bit of a case of Typing While Annoyed, along with a fair bit of youthful naivety if you ask me. But he's a good guy, and I seriously doubt he's done anything wrong with these wheels. People just seem intent on stirring the pot, and making a little problem into a big problem, and giving him more and more rope. If he ends up having bother getting this sorted, sure you can say he's brought it upon himself but at the same time you lot aren't helping, and it's not you that'll end up out of pocket if this goes south.

Neil at Superstar probably understands, he's had his bad internet forum experiences too, but some of you guys seem tothink it's fun to make things worse for people. It's not a bloody game for everyone.

erm, you have been on the internet before havent you?

also

shut up.
  • Northwind
    Sheeps was one of the heroic exceptions of course
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    thats more like it.
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    Northwind wrote:
    Alloy freehubs do wear but not usually this fast. How could it be user error?

the answer is in your question, and everything wheels Pete seems to touch turns to sh1t apparently :wink: .
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    cooldad wrote:
    Perhaps he should learn to think before he writes.
    It's not 'a bit of a case of Typing While Annoyed', it was a number of posts, over quite a long time.

i've got to agree, if you're old enough to post on an internet forum slagging off a product before you've gone through the correct channels to recitfy the problem, then you're old enough to deal with the response from other forum users and any subsequent consequences.

we've all learnt hard lessons at pete's age, maybe this will be his?
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • hbrashaw
    hbrashaw Posts: 286
    this is comedy gold. classic. it was nice too see peter's wheel build expert fixing wheels, a true master of the trade, no idea why they didn't stay true :?

my wheels are also falling apart, slowly, but i haven't been slagging off decathlon all over the internet, though to be fair i've had them for about 15 months, they're lightweight cross country wheels and i've been using them for light FR, dirt jumping, and crashed a lot, into trees and stuff. I've also done many 90 bunnyhops at about 10mph, and i don't think that's good for them. result is, many of the spokes on the back i can now tighten by hand they're so loose, the rear wheels also has so much play in the hub the rim can move about an inch, and i can hear the spokes loosing tension- a sort of tinging sound- when i go uphill. i also managed to bend some of the sprockets in my cassette, and the cassette wobbles from side to side. but i don't really care, i should have enough money for some new wheels by the time these disintegrate completely.
    i think i'll get superstars- black switch evo hubs, 20mm and 10mm with black am-490's. are they what you had peter?
  • largephil
    largephil Posts: 358
    For the record, I have Superstar wheels and could not be happier with them :D

Switch hubs, Spank Oozy rims. They look great and after a fair bit of riding are true and going strong. I'd buy more without a second thought, great value.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    I’m mystified as to how removing the cassette wrecked it too!! I’ve removed plenty of cassettes from Hope alloy freehub bodies after they have got a bit mangled. It takes a little wiggle and tap, not anything like a bashing that would bend steel sprockets.

Coupled with the fact Peter actually states that he expects to smash into things so hard that he breaks them (reason for not wanting to ride on his dad’s wheels or ride carefully that weekend), I think the burden lies solely at the hands of someone who is yet to learn how to look after their stuff and not steam in like a bull in a china shop, whether that’s riding, maintaining or posting on a bike forum..........
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Northwind wrote:
    Poor effort there.

Sorry Northwind but the majority of the posts on this have either been helpful or annoyed at what has been sh!t has been spouted.

There have been a number of people (including myself) that have advised Pete shuts up while this gets sorted, him following posts have tried to argue why he should be able to ride on them until he feels like sending them back.

You are completely correct that more and more rope has been given to hang himself but it's all on the back of his own posts. There have only been a few posts actually stirring.

Look at it this way, if you didn't know this guy and weren't able to vouch for him would you be standing up for him on the back of what has been written? Didn't think so.

Really not meaning to be agressive on this but there has been some serious help/advice (especially Neil from SS posting on this thread) and it hasn't been taken, you can't throw the blame of this thread back at anyone apart from one young lad.....

At least Pete has gone quiet now!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • hbrashaw
    hbrashaw Posts: 286
    what was the actual build he had?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    He posted a link earlier somewhere - cant be bothered to find it - Superstar AM Wheels
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    hbrashaw wrote:
    what was the actual build he had?

don't think he ever posted his exact build but from the price quoted i'd assume something along the lines of Superstar Switch EVO hubs, Superstar AM Rims (in non black colour), Plain Gauge Sapim Spokes.
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • just cause i got back from a ride today on my am490s. ive got the black spokes and the alloy nipples.

i was really stupid, was riding uphill at about 15ish, hopped over 1 half of a log, and then couldnt get the front up again in time, and smacked straight into the next chunk of log. didnt come off or anything but the bike bucked me hard, and the front wheel took a hell of a hit. i got to the end of that section, and hopped off to check the wheels trueness, cause i figured it would be a chunk out of wack. it wasnt, it was perfect, no damage taken to the wheel atall, so atleast in this case they seem to be pretty strong :)
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    i was really stupid, was riding uphill at about 15ish, hopped over 1 half of a log, and then couldnt get the front up again in time, and smacked straight into the next chunk of log.

If you can do that, then you don't need to worry about cheap wheels failing, you'll be getting sponsorship soon. Or is you definition of riding up hill and mine different? or did you mean at about 3pmish rather than my assumed 15mph?
  • LjStronge
    LjStronge Posts: 287
    15 mph uphill - leg end!
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • hill in the loosest sense. there was a gentle gradient upwards tbh lol. but it wasnt downhill, it was definately uphill :)