Superstar Wheels

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Yes but there is a difference between a wheel true/re-tension and a full rebuild
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A full rebuild happens when the spokes are fatigued {usually from not been stress relieved} or a component has failed. The truing and tensioning should be the same standard.

Alarm bells ring when someone says they have had it done 5 times. Anyway, am just speculating now.

Good luck, and be as honest as you can.
  • peter413
    I've decided I'm just going to send them back and get a refund (assuming Superstar will allow this)

Even if I get a fully working set, doesn't look likely since there are none left in red, I am never going to have full confidence in the strength of them.

Unfortunate since its gonna cost me 300 quid for a different wheelset and it means I have to risk breaking my dads wheel this weekend but hey ho, at least that ain't gonna cost me 200 quid, oh wait
  • supersonic
    How long you had the wheels? You may not be entitled to a refund.
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    peter413 wrote:
    I've decided I'm just going to send them back and get a refund (assuming Superstar will allow this)

Good luck with that. Let us know how you get on.
  • peter413
  • supersonic
    If they are deemed faulty you may be able to ask for a refund, but it could be said, given you have used them and had them trued 5 times that the reasonable time period for a refund has passed. Superstar can then offer a repair or replacement, and if that is not possible, a refund.

I think it is probably best not to say your intentions here, but speak to Neil, tell him absolutely everything what has happened and I am willing to bet he will do everything in can for you. But he needs to see the wheels first. Many of us have speculated on your speculation, so just be prepared! I would say no more for now, and let us know what happens when it is done.
  • peter413
    I've sent him a PM saying my intentions and an email to SS direct (this is what I did first) with a huge amount of detail in it

If they can't offer the right colour does that mean they can't offer the correct product? Because there are no red left instock and I defiantly don't want a different colour since it will look very odd on my bike
  • supersonic
    Generally no, a like for like replacement can be offered, but if colour is integral to your build I guess you have reasonable grounds. But let's see what happens.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I would say an aweful lot of Peter's arguement is the "I was just riding along" arguement used by many - its not that hard, its only a red route is nonesense as you can get hung up on a small jump badly timed or jack knife the rear into a rock under braking and smack the sh*t out of a wheel.

Put wheels in a box, send them to SS and ask them to evaluate them as the nice man said. To be honest Neil came on here to offer his opinion and I note that Peter hasnt even acknowledged his presence or advice on the problem which given that he is dissing the mans company on a forum would at least have been courteous.

Kids today.......
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    peter413 wrote:
    Thats the thing though, I haven't hit anything that hard and I run a Dual Ply High Roller at 35 psi so not that soft a pressure either

I do land a few jumps slightly sideways but my old (supposedly weaker) wheels coped fine and they were also tensioned and also re-built twice by the same mechanic

Are these not the old wheels that are now 'toast' as described earlier?

I ride the same trails, hit that box jump and am a fat bastid!! I've never ruined a set of (decent) wheels yet!

I do hope you get something sorted as it's obviously been a big spend for you to get these but you really have to watch what you're saying here and what you say about SS and your intentions.

The response from Neil was very fair and stated exactly what you had to do. From what you've written he could easily told you tough luck, they've been looked at by a third party so there's no claim - but he didn't. If that was my company you were dealing with and you'd been posting how you were going to get a refund I wouldn't be too happy reading that.

Don't dig yourself in any deeper until you see what SS have to say when you return them.....
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • peter413
    I would say an aweful lot of Peter's arguement is the "I was just riding along" arguement used by many - its not that hard, its only a red route is nonesense as you can get hung up on a small jump badly timed or jack knife the rear into a rock under braking and smack the sh*t out of a wheel.

Put wheels in a box, send them to SS and ask them to evaluate them as the nice man said. To be honest Neil came on here to offer his opinion and I note that Peter hasnt even acknowledged his presence or advice on the problem which given that he is dissing the mans company on a forum would at least have been courteous.

Kids today.......

You'll find I have actually PMed him, as he said to do so :wink:

And I'm not dissing anyones anyones company, as I have already said, I am very happy with everything Superstar I have had, this is the first bad thing from them and I will be using them again for other stuff
    Steve_F wrote:
    Are these not the old wheels that are now 'toast' as described earlier?

Yes, but that wasn't the stuff I am doing atm that killed them, it was Innerleithen, some of the DH and XC stuff there, and the more severe stuff (including the secrets) at Glentress so I would expect a wheelset that claims to be tough enough for DH racing to be able to handle this stuff, which is why I bought them
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    So, somebody could say you have a history of destroying wheels by using them inappropriately.... ?
  • peter413
    Except I wasn't using the Superstars inappropriately :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    either way i would restrict my gobbing off about a company until i had decided i would never buy from them again as you look like a knob.

all i can gather is "waah, waaaahh, my wheels are broken and i think that by making a public statement about it i will wrap SS around my websters little finger and get what i want out of them cause the customer is always right"

i hope you get nothing. you shouldnt have continued riding wheels you believe to be unfit for the purpose but needing them to be fixed 5 times suggests you think you can do what you like, complain in public and have your money back.
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    peter413 wrote:
    And I'm not dissing anyones company

errrr, yes, yes you definately are.

i can't help thinking that if, as you claim, you just wanted an opinion on what to do with the situation you've found yourself in, you could have just explained it without mentioning the company involved. instead you put the company in the title of the damn thread!

sorry, i wanted to stay out of this one but i had a couple of beers at lunch and couldn't resist any longer.
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • kona_matt
    either way i would restrict my gobbing off about a company until i had decided i would never buy from them again as you look like a knob.

all i can gather is "waah, waaaahh, my wheels are broken and i think that by making a public statement about it i will wrap SS around my websters little finger and get what i want out of them cause the customer is always right"

i hope you get nothing. you shouldnt have continued riding wheels you believe to be unfit for the purpose but needing them to be fixed 5 times suggests you think you can do what you like, complain in public and have your money back.

:D

sheeps, i mostly find you fairly obnoxious (your intention i believe?) but i love the way the say it like it is
  • Anonymous
    kona_matt wrote:

sheeps, i mostly find you fairly obnoxious

then my work here is done.
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt wrote:

so that means you can fark off now and never return? :wink::lol:
  • Anonymous
    kona_matt wrote:
    kona_matt wrote:

so that means you can fark off now and never return? :wink::lol:

wherever someone legendary is needed. i will be there
    wherever someone with a common sense view of the world is needed, i will be there
    wherever i get bored on the net and some trolling is needed, i will be there.

im in this for the longhaul.
  • kona_matt
    :lol:
  • peter413
    kona_matt wrote:
    , you could have just explained it without mentioning the company involved. instead you put the company in the title of the damn thread!

They are also the name of the wheels :roll:
  • kona_matt
    peter413 wrote:
    kona_matt wrote:
    , you could have just explained it without mentioning the company involved. instead you put the company in the title of the damn thread!

They are also the name of the wheels :roll:

seriously? that's your response?

ok, let me spell it out. why didn't you just say something along the lines...

"guys, i bought some wheels that I believed to be suitable for freeride/downhill/whatever, used them at the weekend for said purpose and had to get them trued 5 times. etc etc, yada yada.

where do you think i stand? what should i do? can i still get a refund/replacement under warranty? etc etc, yada yada."

see? no need to mention the manufacturer or product in any way what so ever
  • peter413
    And how long would it have been before someone asked what the wheels were
  • Anonymous
    it doesnt mater how you dice it, you were hoping to rally some troops against SS in the attempt to get some free wheels and your money back.
  • kona_matt
    peter413 wrote:
    And how long would it have been before someone asked what the wheels were

oh, well if someone asked you'd obviously have to tell them wouldn't you :roll:

let me spell it out again...

"to protect the anominity of the manufacturer i'd rather not say at this time"
  • supersonic
    Let's not be too harsh, and see how it goes.
  • peter413
    it doesnt mater how you dice it, you were hoping to rally some troops against SS in the attempt to get some free wheels and your money back.

No I wasn't, all I'm wanting is wheels that are as strong as they claim and as I keep saying, I don't hate SS, I shall still be using them for a lot of other things