Superstar Wheels

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    But we've said things can break for many reasons.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    You said yourself (I think :lol: ) that having to get them trued up 5 times is pretty bad
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    peter413 wrote:
    I just wanted to know where I stand legally (I know what I would like but I don't know if I'm entitled to it)

so if free wheels and your money back isnt what you wanted, what do you want?
  • supersonic
    No, I said that if the wheels were ok the person truing them was bad, and should have seen any problems.
  • peter413
    peter413 wrote:
    I just wanted to know where I stand legally (I know what I would like but I don't know if I'm entitled to it)

so if free wheels and your money back isnt what you wanted, what do you want?

I don't want free wheels (well, it would be nice but not in this way :lol: ) just my money back but the wheels would also be going back to SS.

And now you mention that again Sonic, earlier the guy that does the wheel trues called and told me something rather interesting. One side of spokes were all tight in the nipples but the other side were loose and weren't as fully in the nipples (I think thats what he was saying) as the other side.

That sounds like the wrong size spokes to me?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    he foned to tell you that?
  • supersonic
    Almost all wheels have one side tighter than the other because of the wheel dish!!!!!
  • peter413
    he foned to tell you that?

My dad phoned him up because he has the rear wheel atm and we were asking what he thought was the best thing to do, basically said give them another shot, and he told us that as well
  • peter413
    supersonic wrote:
    Almost all wheels have one side tighter than the other because of the wheel dish!!!!!

Sorry, one side was in the nipples properly but the other wasn't is what I think he was saying. But he is saying he has sorted it now. My dad is saying I should ride them this weekend and send them back if they are still just as bad but I don't know how this is going to go with SS.

I did send them another email saying this and they read it but didn't reply so should I just use them or not?
  • supersonic
    You can't do that. You can't complain they are faulty, have them 'fixed' then send them back after you have ridden them again. Not on.

If you want Neil to take you seriously STOP riding them now, and send them back.
  • peter413
    I claimed they were not fit for purpose, others were claiming they are faulty
  • supersonic
    So why are you still wanting to ride them!

You are trying to have it both ways.
  • peter413
    Because my only other option is to ride my dads wheels which I will almost certainly break and he can't afford new wheels either.

Don't take this the wrong way but, what difference does it make to them if I ride them this weekend or not. They aren't going to get them back any quicker and they can't sell them on since they aren't brand new. Like I said, don't take that the wrong way, I'm genuinely confused as to what difference it makes
  • supersonic
    edited October 2010
    Because they may actually be a fault? And they can fix it. And you may trash it more?

What you are doing is not fair, especially after what you have said. If you genuinely think they are not fit for purpose/developed a fault then send then stop riding them and let the man do his job, which you are making bloody hard for him.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    peter413 wrote:
    Because my only other option is to ride my dads wheels which I will almost certainly break and he can't afford new wheels either.

Don't take this the wrong way but, what difference does it make to them if I ride them this weekend or not. They aren't going to get them back any quicker and they can't sell them on since they aren't brand new. Like I said, don't take that the wrong way, I'm genuinely confused as to what difference it makes

How can you possibly expect Superstar to inspect the wheels if you intend to continue using them and potentially doing further consequential damage? How can they establish if there is a manufacturing fault if you continue to put more admittedly rough/heavy miles on them after already tampering with them beyond the realms of reasonable initial bedding in?

How about using your dad's wheels this weekend and RIDING GENTLY perhaps? :roll:
  • peter413
    Because that defeats the purpose of going on a trip to enjoy myself. If I am forced to ride well below my normal pace its going to ruin the whole experiance
  • supersonic
    If you continue to ride peter you accept that they are not faulty, and it is you that is causing the damage. You are accepting the goods are fit for purpose and not faulty by continuing to ride them. You chances of refund are now zero.
  • peter413
    Ok, looks like dad might be needing new wheels then :(
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    supersonic wrote:
    If you continue to ride peter you accept that they are not faulty, and it is you that is causing the damage. You are accepting the goods are fit for purpose and not faulty by continuing to ride them. You chances of refund are now zero.

Damn you!! I was just trying to work out how to phrase that but you beat me to it! :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited October 2010
    supersonic wrote:
    If you want Neil to take you seriously STOP riding them now, and send them back.

Or STOP TALKING. Seriously.

Pete, if you can get to Edinburgh before you go I can lend you my old Rhythm rear, if you bend it you've bought it but you probably won't. I'll not be down your way before though so I can't get it to you but if you can come get it you're welcome. The front's a 20mm though so no use to you though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    Lol. Peter, retailers will do more than they are deemed legally bound to do if you are open, nice and give them time to do what they need to do. I know you are young, is a lot of money, and wanna get out riding. But the guy has a business to run too, and really needs to see the wheels as they are now.
  • peter413
    Northwind wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Or STOP TALKING. Seriously.

Pete, if you can get to Edinburgh before you go I can lend you my old Rhythm rear, if you bend it you've bought it but you probably won't. I'll not be down your way before though so I can't get it to you but if you can come get it you're welcome. The front's a 20mm though so no use to you though.

I can use my old front one, I'm not sure I could get up though, leaving early in the morning tomorrow. Thanks for the offer though
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    This thread just gets better and better :lol:
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yeah, I figured it'd be awkward to get it. Well, offer's there if you need it, you've got my number.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    kona_matt wrote:

This.
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    kona_matt wrote:

It's a bit like watching a wounded gazelle limping across the Serengeti. Same inevitability of result....
  • IanTrcp wrote:
    kona_matt wrote:

It's a bit like watching a wounded gazelle limping across the Serengeti. Same inevitability of result....

I'd get in touch with the Chillean miners to see if they can help this minor out of the hole into which he's dug himself.

Here's a video on one of the five truings - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOwoaNoltCM&NR=1
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    IanTrcp wrote:
    kona_matt wrote:

I'd get in touch with the Chillean miners to see if they can help this minor out of the hole into which he's dug himself.

Here's a video on one of the five truings - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOwoaNoltCM&NR=1
    :lol::lol:
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • peter413
    Word of warning about the hubs that I have just found out after taking the cassette off.

The freehubs DO mark up with basic cassettes. I nearly had to whack mine with a hammer to get it off and this is only after a few rides.

Thought that may interest a few people, these wheels just get better and better :roll:

Still, getting them sent off tomorrow so should all be sorted soon :D
  • Bobhellen
    Bobhellen Posts: 154
    and the all important question is did you ride them at the week end or not?
    "we're a forum of pointless upgraders, depreciation maximisers, and diminishing returns addicts"