the Cyclo cross racing post

Comments

• VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    andyp wrote:
    Good luck to VamP and TGOTB (and anyone else on here) at the National Champs this weekend. I hope you both have a satisfying race.

Thanks Andy, just loading up now. It's fair old distance :shock: luckily I'm able to kip at mate's in Bristol.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,142
    What's your race numbers? I'll give you a shout as I'm marshalling all weekend. Will be there at the crack of dawn tomorrow, several club members have spent the last 2 days on course prep but the weather today has been causing a few problems. Loads of steep off camber stuff which will be lovely after all the rain :D
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    31 - 40-49 Vets. Leaving London in a couple of hours. Feel pretty wasted after a week of long hours :(.

Well done to all at your club for putting this on.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Best of luck guys, have fun and go fast!
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Pross
    cjcp wrote:
    31 - 40-49 Vets. Leaving London in a couple of hours. Feel pretty wasted after a week of long hours :(.

Did you have problems? I didn't spot your race number. I was marshalling the crossing point where you cross the road coming off the rugby field.
  • cjcp
    Pross wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Did you have problems? I didn't spot your race number. I was marshalling the crossing point where you cross the road coming off the rugby field.

Yep :(.

Left crank came off on the first sodding lap, not half a mile in, at the top of the course. The dust cap had disappeared, so assume it had worked loose. I only checked the bleedin' thing when scraping the mud off after a test lap. Was absolutely gutted - still am, mind.

So Nick Craig can count his lucky stars I had a mechanical :).

I had to cross your point when leaving for the car park. I was the fellow in Kingston Wheelers kit carrying a bike in one hand and a crank in the other :).

From the lap and a bit I got in of the course though, I thought it was outstanding, as was the organisation and marshalling. The atmosphere was extremely friendly too. A great example of everything that's good about 'cross racing. Top effort.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Pross
    Was it you with the beard? I did wonder - didn't notice the crank just a forlorn look! Shame it was a wasted trip for you. Course looked good and reasonably rideable despite the weather. The guys setting it up had a real battle as they couldn't do much until yesterday afternoon and then large parts got blown back down including the signing on tent which is why we had to do that in the leisure centre! I only heard good comments and seemed a pretty good atmosphere although the number of spectators wasn't as big as I'd hoped. Probably be a much bigger crowd tomorrow though.
  • cjcp
    Yep, that was me. They did a great job with the course; I think it basically had everything. Not a wasted trip as it turns out: sister and her family still live in Cardiff, so got to see them, and a taste for the Nationals has left me wanting more next year!

I plan on annexing the lounge today to watch the race on S4C. I wonder if CX commentary in Welsh sounds as bonkers as it does in Flemish.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    cjcp wrote:
    Left crank came off on the first sodding lap, not half a mile in, at the top of the course. The dust cap had disappeared, so assume it had worked loose. I only checked the bleedin' thing when scraping the mud off after a test lap. Was absolutely gutted - still am, mind.
    Oh man that sucks. TGOTB was right, I should have lent you my bike as a spare.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Thanks to all for the good wishes, which I was able to read on my phone but not respond to!

Was a pretty hard race from where I started (5th row out of 11-12, I think), not so much in terms of the course as the other riders. The course itself was very well designed and called for lots of good decision making, without being the gruelling slogathon we had at Derby last year, or the sketchy crash-fest we had at MK. The riding was full-on from the gun though; for quite a bit of the start straight I was literally touching shoulders with the guys either side of me, out of the saddle and going flat-out. On the first lap we were changing places on almost every corner, frequently clashing elbows and bumping shoulders, and it didn't let up much even after that.

Had a big crash and lost several places in the penultimate lap, after being shoved off the course and shoulder-barging a tree. Crossed the finish line in 61st, after some fairly assertive position-defending round the last few bends and a sprint down the finishing straight to hold off the guy behind.

Many thanks to all involved for a fantastically well-run, friendly (off the course) and enjoyable event. Even the parking attendants were bending over backwards for us. I heard rumours there may not be a trophy race at Abergavenny next year; hope those rumours are false...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • VamP
    Likewise a big thanks to all the well wishes, likewise I was able to read but not respond on my phone. I would echo TGOTBs comments (hope the shoulder is OK, especially after that hearty slap I gave it after the race). Close racing throughout the field, no quarter given and lots to battle for all the way to the line. Great organizational feat by all involved, particularly as half the course had been blown away overnight. I arrived around 7am and didn't think it possible that racing would start on time. It did.

The course was hard in the best possible sense, lots of off camber corners and little rises that all presented options and challenges. After the chaos of the opening lap, I settled in a group of four, with lots of digs and attacks going back and forth. I managed to get a gap and stay away on the third lap, although it meant going well into the red, and lots of shoulder checking on the last lap as I was out of matches and the chasers were closing. Managed to hold on for 49th place.

Many thanks to organizers, supporters and helpers - it was a great event. My pit crew particularly was full of praise for the pits layout and logistics, it was definitely the best set up I have seen, with hard surface in the pits and a giant water tanker right in the middle of the wash area.
  • tgotb
    Thanks - shoulder is still fairly painful, but nothing worse than bruising; should be fine for racing next weekend :-)

My father, who has never even seen a CX race before, did a great job in the pit. Our pressure washer died just after the first bike change, so he had to improvise and do the whole thing with a bucket and brush. He was very impressed with the friendliness of the sport - people chatting on the start line, helping each other in the pits etc.

That water bowser (truck-sized, for anyone who wasn't there) - had a big outlet at the back that was at least 4" in diameter, with an adaptor fitted to that and a conventional tap on the end. I was trying to fill a jerry can before the race, and the entire adaptor came off in my hand; it was like unleashing a fire hose into the bike washing area. Was quite an adventure getting that back in!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Pross
    Good to hear the positive feedback. Parking can be a problem up there but it seemed OK - the amount of motorhomes wipes out a large part of the available space! We've had criticism from a few in the past about the pits as they are unhappy at having to walk to the jet wash area but it seemed to work well, especially with the full size tanker we had from Welsh Water. I'm not sure what's happening with future events, the problem is that the school is due to be re-built in the area we use at some point. I did mention hosting a world cup round to the organiser but just got a mouthful of words that made me blush :lol: It was good racing all weekend although many of the races had easy winners. It would be good to have the U23 on the Saturday as it would have been nice to see Ferguson and Field being able to go head to head in the senior race - it was all a bit too easy for them even though Field got off to a slow start. Women's race looked like being a good battle for the first couple of laps but Wyman obviously had it all well under control.
  • Congrats and commiserations to those that raced. Am only hearing good things about the Nationals from you guys. Looks like I'm going to have to kick training up a few gears for this year (ok, at least 8 gears if I'm honest but I've got to start somewhere) :)
  • I'd also like to offer my congratulations and thanks to the organisers (and helpers). I have hardly raced this year and was in no shape to enter the nationals, but I was there in support of my daughter on Saturday and had a good day watching on the Sunday. We came prepared for the worst, but it seemed that after the vets races in the morning, the wind dried out the course and it was possible to race on a single bike if you wanted to. The pits were excellent. By far the best pits set up of the year - possible to drop off, lots of space, lots of water. Well done Abergavenny!

I enjoyed the racing on Sunday, but the races were a tad disappointing. All had their moments, but very quickly it became evident who would win. Bit of a shame, but oh well. I can't wait until Paul Oldham is fit again and Grant Ferguson is a senior. And fingers crossed we see more of Annie Last on the cross circuit. I was hoping that she'd make a third in the lead group, but starting at the back put paid to that.
  • Fun at Hitchin today eh?! I thought it was going to be a power track like Ickneild but it turned into a running super mud race!
  • tgotb
    More fun than I expected; after pre-riding the U10 course, I thought we'd be fighting over endless lumps, but it flattened out nicely.

Definitely a power race in the vets; I only ever had to get off for the hurdles. I rather enjoy those heavy power-through-the-gloop bits; there's a good bit of it near my house, so I get to practice it quite a bit :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • I think I could have ridden more of the track but running was definitely quicker but the time the vets and women had churned it up!
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Team champs this weekend anyone?

Eastern is on the same day as LL for the first time I can remember.

My club is fielding a team but something tells me my season is over, I've kinda lost the will.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • tgotb
    We have two teams in the LL champs. Really enjoyed the course last year, but you and VamP have me worried with your talk of cross country running with bikes in previous years...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • mikpem
    mikpem Posts: 139
    The Eastern League has an end of season maddison at Mistley, I'm looking forward to finding out who the poor sod that gets to be my partner is, I don't have a good track record at Mistley so spare wheels are a must!
    Our last race of the season was last week but I was feeling a bit under the weather so as it was only 2 miles from my house I just went to watch. Half way through the race it dawned on me that I'm going to have to wait 9 months to do it again so I wish I'd just gone for it, also, it's cold standing in a field watching a race for an hour!
  • VamP
    TGOTB wrote:
    We have two teams in the LL champs. Really enjoyed the course last year, but you and VamP have me worried with your talk of cross country running with bikes in previous years...

But there was a 24 hour deluge leading up to and into the race that time, you'll be fine this year I think.

We have a Mystery Partner Madison lined up at Eastern - should be good for a laugh! I love cross Madisons. The changeover area always mass carnage.

Especially if you have forgotten who your mystery partner is by the time you have come around :D
  • devhads
    devhads Posts: 236
    The Eastern League has an end of season maddison at Mistley, I'm looking forward to finding out who the poor sod that gets to be my partner is, I don't have a good track record at Mistley so spare wheels are a must!

I'm torn as to who would be a desirable partner. Vam P would give you a great chance of winning but less recovery time between laps. On the other hand if you get me you'd have plenty of rest :lol:
  • tgotb
    devhads wrote:

I'm torn as to who would be a desirable partner. Vam P would give you a great chance of winning but less recovery time between laps. On the other hand if you get me you'd have plenty of rest :lol:
    Ha, good point! I'd happily ride with either of you :-)

Also need to consider your potential team-mate's form for keeping bikes intact. Not naming names, but I can think of riders who look great on paper, but would leave you riding the last 40 minutes on your own while they faff around with chain splitters and mech hangers in the pit.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,446
    One for the London League regulars;

Transponder Tags
    Dear all, please return you transponder tag and number to LCCA at 61a Burns House, Doddington Grove, London SE17 3SX.

We had considered how to return £5’s, but it isn’t going to be possible this year, however the more that are returned will help us to keep our costs down for next season. By the way it will NOT be possible to use this year’s number or tag for next season’s racing.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    I did my first race tonight. Round 1 of the Yorkshire summer series. It was a dry and not very technical course, all ridable apart from one steep off camber hill/corner. Really enjoyed it, found pacing myself pretty difficult. I was full of adrenaline at the start (I'll tell you why in a minute) so went off far too fast. Went from the back of the grid to half way up the field. I got into a rhythm but people were slipping past me quite often. I couldn't tell how may laps I had left so ended up giving it everything on what I thought was my last lap only to be shown the two laps to go board.... Then on my next time round the race was over, I think I got lapped (again) on my last lap.

Pre race preparation consisted of sitting on the carpark known as the M62 for two hours (bad crash up ahead apparantly) watching the clock wondering if I was going to even get a race! arrived at the venue at 19.26, race start was 19.30. I sprinted to the sign on, got a transponder, sprinted to the start and joined the back of the grid just as 30 seconds was being called.... baptism of fire you might say.

Looking forward to the next one, hopefully will be able to pace myself a bit better and perhaps even get a warm up/course recce!

New bike was fantastic, really please with it :)
  • VamP
    Time to wake this up? Round 1 at Supermarine Floodlit tonight, anyone else there?

And then of course there are the leagues at the weekend...

Or are people too busy to post frantically gluing tubs?
  • tgotb
    First outing for us at Stanmer Park on Sunday (assuming all the cables, bearings, Aquasure etc have arrived and I've had time to fit them).

I'm also now the proud owner of a proper petrol-powered pressure washer (though I'm not expecting to need it on Sunday...)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Time to wake this up? Round 1 at Supermarine Floodlit tonight, anyone else there?

And then of course there are the leagues at the weekend...

Or are people too busy to post frantically gluing tubs?

Tubs are glued on and also tested ahead of first race this weekend with WMCCL at Redditch. 30% increase in league registrations this year, great news that the sport is growing in support and popularity, however, the races could be a little busier! Bring on Sunday!
  • In anticipation of an increase in numbers the Central league this year is splitting the vets, juniors and women's race into a junior, vet 40+ and a women's, vet 50+ which should spread the numbers a little. I guess that'll depend on how many more people enter, we'll see in 3wks.