the Cyclo cross racing post

Comments

• Scatterbug
    Scatterbug Posts: 3
    edited November 2014
    Crazy turnout at the latest Welsh League event - 165 in the main race alone. Thankfully the course could handle those numbers without too much congestion.
  • 2nd last for me in the seniors... plenty didn't finish mind. Glad of having a little break now as the enthusiasm was lacking in those conditions last Sunday!
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Who's coming to Milton Keynes on Sunday?

In my mind it's going to be a polished re-enactment of Saturday's WC race, where I ride everything almost as well as the pros; in reality it'll probably be a cross country run carrying a bike, like Derby last season...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    TGOTB wrote:

In my mind it's going to be a polished re-enactment of Saturday's WC race, where I ride everything almost as well as the pros; in reality it'll probably be a cross country run carrying a bike, like Derby last season...

For some reason I decided not to enter, am now seriously regretting that decision.

Best of luck. Looks like a typical Central League course, all off camber traverses and mud.
  • TGOTB wrote:

After watching today I wouldn't bother with cycling shoes, just wear rugby boots for all the running you're gonna do ;)
  • This is my race from two weeks ago. Video-race report (annotated) starts about two minutes in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQMMLDACfMo It also includes a short course preview.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Nice movie. I made it five cameras on your bike, right ?!?
  • Gilwern today. Tough. Neither I or my tyres were up to it
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • tgotb
    Today I am mostly broken :D

In other news, I never thought I'd run my tyres at 16psi and wonder whether I should have gone lower...

Very solid performance from VamP, well done!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • done me 1st ever cyclo cross at chedworth in the western area

got to say actually loved it and managed to stay upright for the whole race :lol::lol::lol::lol: ,finished 36 out of 56 well happy with that

onwards and upwards
  • andyp wrote:
    Raced the London League event at Wivelsden Farm today. Amazingly wet course, even the slightly uphill bits in the field were waterlogged, and it was unrelentingly hard as you had to pedal all the time to maintain momentum.

I'm broken tonight.
    But what a result, that's fantastic. You're certainly fit, as one needs to be to be "on" for the entire race when it's that slow - no coasting like with hillier events at Welwyn or Stanmer Park etc,.

A buddy said he barely had to use his brakes so slow was his speed.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    TGOTB wrote:
    Today I am mostly broken :D

In other news, I never thought I'd run my tyres at 16psi and wonder whether I should have gone lower...

Very solid performance from VamP, well done!

Thanks mate, you didn't do so badly yourself! I was so broken that I have only just become able to use the internet again.

Great day out.
  • When you lot are smashed it's because you've been fighting for a top position. When I'm smashed it's because it's been a desperate attempt not to come last!
  • When you lot are smashed it's because you've been fighting for a top position. When I'm smashed it's because it's been a desperate attempt not to come last!
    You're not alone there :)

This I can certainly relate to (not the first sentence though, mind)!

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • andyp
    But what a result, that's fantastic. You're certainly fit, as one needs to be to be "on" for the entire race when it's that slow - no coasting like with hillier events at Welwyn or Stanmer Park etc,.

A buddy said he barely had to use his brakes so slow was his speed.

Thanks. To be honest, stood on the start line, I thought I had a good chance of getting on the podium, as I've been consistently beating everyone there bar the top two. Once the race started though it was clear that I was going to get 5th at best. I've had (and still have) a cold that has got progressively worse, so think that might have been a factor.

I think it's a measure of the elevated level of the London League these days though, 3 or 4 years ago I was regularly finishing in the top 5, this season I'd be delighted to do that!

Well done TGOTB and VamP, that looked a very challenging circuit for the pros, so chapeau for doing so well.
  • VamP
    andyp wrote:

Well done TGOTB and VamP, that looked a very challenging circuit for the pros, so chapeau for doing so well.

Well, it was really a mid-pack grovel :lol:

As someone said above about getting absolutely smashed - I think that's the beauty of cross - regardless of the level you are at, you end up giving your all.

Looks like I am heading down to Deal this weekend, anyone else doing the Regionals?
  • VamP wrote:
    andyp wrote:

As someone said above about getting absolutely smashed - I think that's the beauty of cross - regardless of the level you are at, you end up giving your all.
    Looks like I am heading down to Deal this weekend, anyone else doing the Regionals?

Very much the above! Though, last week, I felt like I gave in to my tiredness (and bad tyre choice) and just rode. I'm going to smash it next week..............
  • tgotb
    VamP wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Thanks! At least VamP was grovelling around at the front of the mid pack; I was quite a lot closer to the rear...

Was awesome fun though. I really enjoy riding those UCI courses; plenty of lines to choose from, and there's always room to overtake (or be overtaken). One of my pet hates is league courses that effectively neutralise a race by sending it down endless single-track through the woods.

Regionals are just too far away for me, I'm afraid. If I go I really need to take Junior, which means we need to be there 9.30am at the very latest for the U10 race at 10.30. That means a 6am alarm, and at this point in the season a weekend off is just too tempting...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Very much the above! Though, last week, I felt like I gave in to my tiredness (and bad tyre choice) and just rode. I'm going to smash it next week..............

Time for these?

Schwalbe-Ice-Spiker.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • I've thought about it! It may come to that (mid December).

I've settled for Clement PDX in the meantime...............
  • andyp
    VamP wrote:

I uhm'd and aah'd, then looked at the public transport options and that made my mind up. 5 hours of travelling to race for 45 mins is too much at the moment.
  • VamP wrote:

So the question you're posing to others is basically:

0ae61602-9d1a-40e7-a33a-f40408fab614_625x352.jpg

Sorry for posting a photo of Edmonds at this hour. Please don't have nightmares....

I'll get me coat.

David
  • VamP
    VamP wrote:

So the question you're posing to others is basically:

0ae61602-9d1a-40e7-a33a-f40408fab614_625x352.jpg

Sorry for posting a photo of Edmonds at this hour. Please don't have nightmares....

I'll get me coat.

David

Haha!

The answer being No Deal from the assembled forumites it seems. Can't say I blame them, only 34 have entered in the 40s - however, it is a very quality field!
  • andyp
    VamP wrote:
    Haha!

The answer being No Deal from the assembled forumites it seems. Can't say I blame them, only 34 have entered in the 40s - however, it is a very quality field!

You should be good for a top ten I'd have thought, given how you've been going in the Trophy races.
  • No regional champs for me this weekend - the Midland one is in an inaccessible corner of Lincolnshire. However, there's still a West Mids League event on so I'm heading for Mallory Park tomorrow lunchtime. Should be a different kettle of fish to August's "come & try it" fun event, not least because the course that evening was - so I'm told - too short to be a bona fide BC-ranking one, so they've no doubt re-jigged things.

David
  • VamP
    No regional champs for me this weekend - the Midland one is in an inaccessible corner of Lincolnshire. However, there's still a West Mids League event on so I'm heading for Mallory Park tomorrow lunchtime. Should be a different kettle of fish to August's "come & try it" fun event, not least because the course that evening was - so I'm told - too short to be a bona fide BC-ranking one, so they've no doubt re-jigged things.

David

Nearly went to Mallory Park today. But a last minute fail intervened.

David, I am planning to ride the Christmas race at Kenilworth with West Mids, but I can't find an online entry anywhere. Is it entry on the day only, and if so does it ever sell out?
  • devhads
    devhads Posts: 236
    Is it entry on the day only, and if so does it ever sell out?

Entry is by post only and closed a couple of days ago. It usually fills up very early too. I go back home to the midlands every Boxing Day to see family and thought about entering last year but it filled up before I could enter.

They have a Facebook page so you could ask if they have a reserve list.
  • VamP
    devhads wrote:
    Is it entry on the day only, and if so does it ever sell out?

Entry is by post only and closed a couple of days ago. It usually fills up very early too. I go back home to the midlands every Boxing Day to see family and thought about entering last year but it filled up before I could enter.

They have a Facebook page so you could ask if they have a reserve list.

Oh bum! Thanks Dave.

I have tried that there facebook thingy, but it sounds like it might be a forlorn thing.
  • VamP wrote:
    No regional champs for me this weekend - the Midland one is in an inaccessible corner of Lincolnshire. However, there's still a West Mids League event on so I'm heading for Mallory Park tomorrow lunchtime. Should be a different kettle of fish to August's "come & try it" fun event, not least because the course that evening was - so I'm told - too short to be a bona fide BC-ranking one, so they've no doubt re-jigged things.

David

Nearly went to Mallory Park today. But a last minute fail intervened.

David, I am planning to ride the Christmas race at Kenilworth with West Mids, but I can't find an online entry anywhere. Is it entry on the day only, and if so does it ever sell out?

I didn't make it there either - got a badly-timed puncture on the way to the station and missed my train! Settled for an off-road training ride in the afternoon, bit parky out there to say the least; found myself riding through part-frozen mud and breaking the ice on top of puddles in places, but actually good fun although hands and feet were feeling the chill by the end.

I've never ridden the Kenilworth event so can't comment on entry conditions. BC website may have the necessary info.

David