the Cyclo cross racing post

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Hmmm... Off-camber is probably my weakest area; awfully tempted to enter, and do some targetted training over Christmas...

Thanks for the vid posting, will watch this evening...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • I wouldn't worry about the off camber if it's likely to stop you entering. It's one of those where running it won't lose you much time, if any.
  • tgotb
    Nah, on the contrary; anything which forces me to train a weakness has to be a good thing. Just figuring out the logistics, but 99% sure I'll be there :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Svenness 2.13: http://www.cxhairs.com/

If you ever thought CX was boring a) what are you doing here? and b) watch this.

I am tired from just siting on my butt watching it. More action than a Jackie Chan movie.

Check out the tops vs drops at the end...
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • tgotb
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    I wouldn't worry about the off camber if it's likely to stop you entering. It's one of those where running it won't lose you much time, if any.
    Well, that was emotional. Running the off-camber didn't do me any harm; the same cannot be said for running all the way from the off-camber section to the pits on lap 1, after pinch flatting on one of those concrete edges.

I had just about managed to catch up with the back of the field and start picking up places when the drivetrain started misbehaving, meaning I could only put power down in the lowest two gears. Then I pulled the gear cable out of the rear mech in a failed attempt to get into one of those gears, leaving me in 33x12. In the end I got fed up with running and abandoned; I was going to get lapped anyway. Next season I'm going to have a spare bike in the pits rather than just spare wheels, and that bike may well be equipped with hub gears and Landcruisers.

Nice to catch up with VamP!

Edit: Thanks also to VamP for a textbook demonstration of how to negotiate a start from the middle of the field :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    If I recall correctly, you shot past me at the second set of chicanes, where I got bogged down behind a couple of fallers, so the points for textbook demo go your way I think :wink:

Emotional is a good way to describe the experience. Shame about your DNF, in those conditions just finishing felt satisfying. I'm glad I went, despite nearly calling it off due to the cold, but it was a good technical experience, as well as an intriguing insight into how well a body performs under duress from a virus. Turns out not so good, but I enjoyed it despite running a few places down on what I would have expected.

Could have done without the last 500m run due to ripped mech, but there we go. At least I only lost one place because of that, as everybody else was lapped :D
  • tgotb
    What actually happened at the start is that I was squeezed out (legitimately) by the guy on my right, at which point I jumped on your wheel and stayed there all the way to the end of the tarmac; I only got through on the chicanes thanks to a bit of luck and a good leadout :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • VamP
    Svenness 2.13: http://www.cxhairs.com/

If you ever thought CX was boring a) what are you doing here? and b) watch this.

I am tired from just siting on my butt watching it. More action than a Jackie Chan movie.

Check out the tops vs drops at the end...

I watched this one live. Great race. Can't wait for Styby to win P-R. Gonna happen!
  • I had my traditional start off the back line (I must figure out a way to get some national ranking points!). The long slightly uphill start lap was fast and although I moved up a gap had formed by the time we got to the bank. This worked in my favour though as I was able to get a clear line between fallers. After that it was business as usual as I finished in my usual spot of low 30s. Pretty happy with that really, totally consistent! I thought the course was really fun, though it could have done without the chicanes before the steps as it basically meant that most of the top end was spent running. The woods were really fun and flowing, with space to overtake if you timed it right.

I've done all the trophies now and there were some pretty good courses. Shrewsbury and Abergavenny were the most fun probably, since they could be ridden fast if you had the techniques. Durham and MK were good fast courses. The other two I didn't enjoy so much, but I can see why others would enjoy their challenges.
  • VamP
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    ... (I must figure out a way to get some national ranking points!)...

I get mine on eBay :wink:
  • VamP wrote:
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    ... (I must figure out a way to get some national ranking points!)...

I get mine on eBay :wink:

bah, I only checked amazon :(

Will you guys be at Derby?
  • tgotb
    Yep, I'll be there (this time with spare bike borrowed from clubmate)...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • VamP
    I'll be there too. I'll see your spare bike TGOTB, and I will raise you a pit biatch and a power washer.

Guzzling gallons of Vit C in last ditch effort to clear this manflu bollox.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Caller wrote:
    Hillingdon was a great course. Saying that though, I've nothing to compare it with as it was my first cross race :lol:

It was a great day out, not sure how the Seniors managed it as it was starting to get pretty cut up after the Novice race and that was before the rain started coming down properly!

I've got so much more respect for the Pro's in the Svenness videos now, they make it look so easy but it's bloody hard work. Hopefully I'll be able to make it to the next round.

Bit late to this, but that was a cracking course.

As to how the Seniors managed it, this particular Senior was a broken man after the race.

One of my many problems is that, just as I get the hang of the course, and I start to feel comfortable with my bike handling, the energy levels drop and the bike handling [sic] goes to pot again. I hit a sweet spot about 4-5 laps in, and then I'm dying on my @rse, suffering from burning lungs, just trying to stay upright and see straight.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tgotb
    cjcp wrote:
    One of my many problems is that, just as I get the hang of the course, and I start to feel comfortable with my bike handling, the energy levels drop and the bike handling [sic] goes to pot again. I hit a sweet spot about 4-5 laps in, and then I'm dying on my @rse, suffering from burning lungs, just trying to stay upright and see straight.
    I know exactly what you're doing wrong; it's called "not racing enough". And don't use your kids as an excuse, you know perfectly well that they can race too (enabling you to race *and* earn brownie points - what's not to like?)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    TGOTB wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    I know exactly what you're doing wrong; it's called "not racing enough". And don't use your kids as an excuse, you know perfectly well that they can race too (enabling you to race *and* earn brownie points - what's not to like?)

Heh heh. I have my eyes on the next Herne Hill race. I'd join at the team champs, but I'm marshalling at the TT whichever weekend it is.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tgotb
    The race scheduled for Herne Hill was moved to Bethlem Hospital (which is actually a much better venue), but has now been cancelled completely. I think the only other options in the vague London area are:
    Family training in Twickenham this Saturday - more suitable for the kids than for you (if they're not doing ballet, or Tai Chi, or Chai Tea, or whatever; mine are going.)
    Sun 19th in Welwyn (last Central event)
    Sun 2nd Feb in Dartford
    Team champs on 9th - may be possible to marshal the TT and then drive on to Haywards Heath; I'm using the CX as an excuse not to ride the TT.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • FransJacques
    Anyone in Derby this past weekend?

Had some mates in the 40-44 and 50-54 and said by the time of their races it was all but unrideable save for the 200m paved start/finish.

Think this country isn't the most cross friendly place on the planet. The Boulder US nationals looked more fun.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • tgotb
    Anyone in Derby this past weekend?

Had some mates in the 40-44 and 50-54 and said by the time of their races it was all but unrideable save for the 200m paved start/finish.

Think this country isn't the most cross friendly place on the planet. The Boulder US nationals looked more fun.
    Wasn't quite that bad; you could also ride the 50 yards immediately before the pits, so long as there was a clean bike waiting for you :-)

In a lot of cases, it was less about what *could* be ridden, and more about what was either safer to run, or could be ridden without clogging up the bike in short order; for me, the race was as much about getting those decisions right as anything else.

The top guys seemed to be riding almost everything; in that respect it was actually a very good course for a Nationals, especially in the prevailing conditions. Would have been brutal for a local league event, but at that level I think it's right to have a course that separates the men from the boys.

Sadly I came out the wrong side of the men/boys split; it was pretty tough if you didn't have a pit crew to keep you supplied with clean bikes. Great fun though! I already have next year's pit crew sorted, so expect a dry Winter...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • VamP
    I was there too FJ. It wasn't as bad as all that, most of it was rideable, but perhaps not with 100% certainty. The course was brilliantly designed to maximise off-camber usage!

I did have a pit man and changed bikes every lap and that made a big difference. Great day out really.
  • I rode it in practice and it was generally OK, with most of it ridable, though very testing. However, by the time it got to my turn to ride, our jet wash had packed up and I couldn't turn my bikes round ready for the start in time. The dangers of sharing bikes!

Did anyone watch the races yesterday? The Men's and Women's main events turned out to be disappointing in terms of racing, but the junior men and women (as part of the Women's race) were very exciting. Great racing and worthy winners in both.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    Would have been brutal for a local league event, but at that level I think it's right to have a course that separates the men from the boys.

Agree 100%. By the Elite race yesterday (I 'competed' in this one) the course was an absolute swamp even in comparison to the rest of the weekend. But the top lads just get on with it and keep going. I was riding 90% of the course so they were barely getting off the bikes at all.
  • I was standing at the switchbacks and the ability of these guys not just to ride the sections, but also to dismount and remount in it was impressive. Some of them didn't seem to lose any momentum through the swampy bits either! I can't imagine how many times I'd have been on my backside or worse in those conditions.
  • FransJacques
    Amazing stories, thanks.

A guy I raced againast at the first Wessex/Central event of the season near Newbury (Mary Hare school) finished 5th in the 40-44. Quite amazing considering how fast he was that day.
  • I know that chap (friend of a friend). He's an excellent rider. I'd bet on him winning it in a couple of years. Well, once Nick Craig has moved up to 50s!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,028
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    I was standing at the switchbacks and the ability of these guys not just to ride the sections, but also to dismount and remount in it was impressive. Some of them didn't seem to lose any momentum through the swampy bits either! I can't imagine how many times I'd have been on my backside or worse in those conditions.

Shame it was that muddy though. I know it's a skill but perhaps a faster course would have seen closer racing. It started chucking it down in Derby by early evening - if that freezing rain had come in for the racing it would have been "interesting".
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I totally agree. Even so, it was looking like a great battle before Oldham collected tape in his cassette.
  • Last race of the season in the central league today... Stanborough Park. Absolute mud fest!

Pretty dissapointed with the BC website. It said the novice race started at 12.30 so I arrived at 11.05.... Plenty of time to warm up, ride the course etc. I went to sign on at 11.10 and was told I better get my skates on as the race started at 11.15. So the warm up consisted on a 30 metre ride from the signing on tent to the start line. Rode the first lap completely blind... And the last third was brutal..... 1 unrideable climb, 2 steep banks, 2 'watersplashes' and a little ridge kick up. Mud mud mud!
  • antsmithmk wrote:
    Last race of the season in the central league today... Stanborough Park. Absolute mud fest!

Pretty dissapointed with the BC website. It said the novice race started at 12.30 so I arrived at 11.05.... Plenty of time to warm up, ride the course etc. I went to sign on at 11.10 and was told I better get my skates on as the race started at 11.15. So the warm up consisted on a 30 metre ride from the signing on tent to the start line. Rode the first lap completely blind... And the last third was brutal..... 1 unrideable climb, 2 steep banks, 2 'watersplashes' and a little ridge kick up. Mud mud mud!

I was racing there today too. Sometimes it's better not to know what's coming ;)
  • Well yes.... But you can pick lines to avoid some of the more interesting features or at least lesser the effect.