the Cyclo cross racing post

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    VamP wrote:
    Those Svenness vids are the bomb. Even my wife raves about them.
    I have not seen these, does anyone have a link?
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    VamP wrote:
    Thanks VamP, I'll have a butchers when I get home.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Someone wrote:
    #SVENNESS
    This has to be the best of the lot...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Has everyone stopped racing? What is happening out there?

My last few races are written up here.

http://ifonlyiwerebelgian.com/2013/11/2 ... ng-part-3/

Ben
  • I rode Markeaton Park in the Notts and Derby this weekend. An experience I'd rather forget.

I had to sit out last weekend's Wessex event at Thruxton thanks to illness. :( I don't get ill too often so that was very frustrating!!

Not doing the Regionals as I'm not a big fan of the Harwell course, plus the race carries zero League points (not much of an incentive), so the goal now is to get fit again for the next Wessex round which is nice & local to me, being a few minutes' ride from my house!

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • VamP
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    I rode Markeaton Park in the Notts and Derby this weekend. An experience I'd rather forget.

Are you at The Bowl this Sunday?
  • tgotb
    Not doing the Regionals as I'm not a big fan of the Harwell course
    What's the course like? I've entered, but never ridden there before...

Off to MK this weekend; fully expecting to get my a*se handed to me on a plate :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TGOTB wrote:

Off to MK this weekend; fully expecting to get my a*se handed to me on a plate :-)

It's a tough 'un, especially on a windy day. Hard, steep climbs (some of which mean resorting to carrying the bike, although last time I rode there I don't recall any "pure" running sections such as hurdles) and barmy descents in profusion, plus lots of grassy off-camber stuff.

David
  • PuttyKnees wrote:
    I rode Markeaton Park in the Notts and Derby this weekend. An experience I'd rather forget.

Why? Proper conditions for a proper cyclocross race!
  • tgotb
    TGOTB wrote:

It's a tough 'un, especially on a windy day. Hard, steep climbs (some of which mean resorting to carrying the bike, although last time I rode there I don't recall any "pure" running sections such as hurdles) and barmy descents in profusion, plus lots of grassy off-camber stuff.

David
    Cool, sounds like the sort of course I really enjoy, even if it will play to most of my weaknesses. Does it tend to get muddy?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

David
    Cool, sounds like the sort of course I really enjoy, even if it will play to most of my weaknesses. Does it tend to get muddy?

It wasn't muddy last year - the focal point of the course is basically a big artificial hill (apparently the spoil heap from when the nearby Diamond synchrotron was built) which drains quite easily, I'd imagine.

David
  • VamP
    TGOTB wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

David

It wasn't muddy last year - the focal point of the course is basically a big artificial hill (apparently the spoil heap from when the nearby Diamond synchrotron was built) which drains quite easily, I'd imagine.

David

Yeah it's a chalk mound, drains really well. There are long off-camber sections, and it is a bonus if you can dismount and remount on both sides. Fun course, especially the steep descent with a sharp left-hander at the bottom :lol:

Go on a diet beforehand, there is more climbing than the average course :wink:
  • VamP
    TGOTB wrote:

See you there. Which race are you in?

My last few races are written up here.

http://ifonlyiwerebelgian.com/2013/11/2 ... ng-part-3/

Ben

I haven't much to say to be honest. My first season racing cross and only two races so far due to having a newborn. I've loved what I have done (racing the Central CX league) and really enjoyed the single track in the MK Bowl but no results to match yours. Nice blog by the way.
  • tgotb
    VamP wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

David

David

Yeah it's a chalk mound, drains really well. There are long off-camber sections, and it is a bonus if you can dismount and remount on both sides. Fun course, especially the steep descent with a sharp left-hander at the bottom :lol:

Ah, will definitely play to my weaknesses then :-) Have been meaning to learn drive-side dismounts/remounts for some time; guess I'd better give them a try. Seems incredibly intimidating, but surely can't be *that* different!
    VamP wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

See you there. Which race are you in?
    I shall be at the back of the V40s (until I get lapped and pulled out after 20 min). What about you?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • VamP
    Same, same.
  • tgotb
    VamP wrote:
    Same, same.
    Excellent, see you there! I'll be the (only) guy in Kingston Wheelers kit.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • VamP
    TGOTB wrote:
    VamP wrote:
    Same, same.
    Excellent, see you there! I'll be the (only) guy in Kingston Wheelers kit.

CC Ashwell (blue)
  • TGOTB, are you the guy on the blue Kona I always see on the train going to the eastern league races?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • tgotb
    TGOTB, are you the guy on the blue Kona I always see on the train going to the eastern league races?
    Hmmm... Trying to think who that could be (assume it's a Wheeler). Not me I'm afraid, I'm normally driving to Central League races with a PX and two Isla Bikes (and a car with a very muddy roof...)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • VamP wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

David

David

And then some. That bleak, windswept mound can be like a Tesco Value version of Mont Ventoux on a bad day!

David
  • Supernaut wrote:
    PuttyKnees wrote:

Why? Proper conditions for a proper cyclocross race!

I have the bruises to prove I'm not a proper cyclocross rider!
  • VamP wrote:
    PuttyKnees wrote:

Are you at The Bowl this Sunday?

Yup, No. 47, red, white & black kit, very last row :lol:
  • tgotb
    TGOTB wrote:
    Have been meaning to learn drive-side dismounts/remounts for some time; guess I'd better give them a try. Seems incredibly intimidating, but surely can't be *that* different!
    Hmmm... Seems that drive-side dismounts are less trivial than I thought; borderline impossible, in fact :roll:

K-Pau is officially a god...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • bobley
    bobley Posts: 60
    TGOTB

Are you doing the Nationals at MK this weekend? We tried the new steps up through the woods last night. I cant imagine how anyone's going to ride them.

BTW thanks for the tyre tips (I'm the guy on the other PX XLS whose been asking you about Stans and tyres).
  • tgotb
    bobley wrote:
    TGOTB

Are you doing the Nationals at MK this weekend? We tried the new steps up through the woods last night. I cant imagine how anyone's going to ride them.

BTW thanks for the tyre tips (I'm the guy on the other PX XLS whose been asking you about Stans and tyres).
    Hi - Yep, very much looking forward to it, I'll look out for you there! How are the steps constructed? Will they be ok to run up with studs?

How are you getting on with the wheels?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • bobley
    bobley Posts: 60
    If I make it to MK it might not be until lunchtime and only as a spectator as its the wifes and my joint 40th b'day party sat night.

The steps are constructed from c.8-10" diameter logs resting across tree trunks either side and then back filled with soil on the top side. The ground on the slope is fresh packed soil at maybe 25° gradient. Studs work well but the soil is quite sticky. I nearly faceplanted on 1 lap, but I am a novice really. Its quite wide at this point so no problems going up side by side.

The new wheels with the PDX are great. It felt like cheating last weekend at Harlington. I was really pushing on the off cambers and I could ride all but the last 2 feet of the worst ascent. I made loads of time. I was right down in pressure but they stayed firmly attached.
  • I think only 1 rider in the entire field could ride up those steps today. Was a good course, shame we haven't had much rain as it can get really interesting on the banking in the bowl. Field made it look easy. Anyone know why Oldham was so far off the pace, I had hoped him and Field would have had a good tussle.