Favourite tooled up ride

Comments

• Pantani to Deux Alpes was one, although around that time almost anything Pantani did was superhuman.
    Armstrong's attack to Sestriere in '99 was another. That still sends a shiver down my spine when I watch it, despite what we know now.
    Museeuw in Flanders was spectacular to watch, as was VDB at Liege in '99.
    My favourite was Michele Bartoli though, riding Jalabert off his wheel in Liege a year or two earlier.
    No subtlety there, just sheer power.
  • DaveyL wrote:
    No doubt French "I don't care that Pantani doped" Fighter will love the style and panache of his attacks.

I don't care that Pantani doped. He's the one that got me interested in cycling, so surely that's a good thing?

afx said it but Vino and Kash in the Vuelta was funny. Pandera the best example but the satge that Igor Anton won was good too, Valv and Vino playing cat and mouse
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    DaveyL wrote:
    I did a mountain bike event a couple of years ago and had a couple of tabs of ibuprofen with pseudoephedrine beforehand. I was flying. :D

for you that is .. :!:
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Basso on the Zoncolan this year?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Tyley Hamilton grinding his teeth away (again) with a broken collarbone and finishing fourth in the 2003 tour. I lapped it up like a mug at a time.

Un believe able. :(

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Richard Virenque, Paris-Tours 2001 was an epic victory http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xj6hb_ ... nque_sport
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Tyley Hamilton grinding his teeth away (again) with a broken collarbone and finishing fourth in the 2003 tour. I lapped it up like a mug at a time.

I'm still willing to give him credit for that one. EPO/transfusions aren't going to stop it hurting or fix the break. And the top 10 that year is hardly a choir of angels.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    José Enrique Gutierrez was another good one. "The Buffalo" indeed.
  • ratsbeyfus
    RichN95 wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

I'm still willing to give him credit for that one. EPO/transfusions aren't going to stop it hurting or fix the break. And the top 10 that year is hardly a choir of angels.

Fair comment. No amount of drugs would get me on a bike when I first broke my collar bone years ago.

@ratsbey
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Dave_1 wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:
    I did a mountain bike event a couple of years ago and had a couple of tabs of ibuprofen with pseudoephedrine beforehand. I was flying. :D

for you that is .. :!:

I love you too Dave
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Fair comment. No amount of drugs would get me on a bike when I first broke my collar bone years ago.

Ha what a cyclist's quote. "The first time I broke my collarbone..."
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

Ooops, no... only broke it once, and that was in a football match! :oops:

I meant that at first it was very painful so I couldn't imagine riding with that pain... after a few days I was able to remove my arm from the sling, and imagine I could've got back on the bike. It happened over 20 years ago, and I didn't cycle as much then, so I'm not sure how long it was before I actually did cycle again. I've broken a variety of bones over the years, but, touch wood, not on or off the bike!

@ratsbey
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

Ooops, no... only broke it once, and that was in a football match! :oops:

I meant that at first it was very painful so I couldn't imagine riding with that pain... after a few days I was able to remove my arm from the sling, and imagine I could've got back on the bike. It happened over 20 years ago, and I didn't cycle as much then, so I'm not sure how long it was before I actually did cycle again. I've broken a variety of bones over the years, but, touch wood, not on or off the bike!

Shhhhhh.. you sounded like a proper hard man before :)
  • This is a good poll question we've got in the making here
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Contador Stage 15 TdF 2009?....the one when he attacked, and then freewheeled around one of the breakaway riders :D Fun to watch, but wholly unbelieveable!
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Chiapucci to Sestriers and Landis on his motorbike are the two that had my jaw on the floor.

Just rewatched the official 92 Tour video Its actually quite sad. Mottet and Lemond quit with exhaustion and there are numerous interviews with riders perplexed at howfast the whole race is.

The bit where Alan Peiper talks about Chiapucci shows off that his pulse is only about 60 when Peiper's is 140 is particularly telling. Peiper didn't quite realise that Il Diablo was riding with a HCT above 60.

Chiapucci for me is the ultimate demonstration of how an average rider becomes a superstar full of panache and attacking verve.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Do any of the pre WW1 rides count?

I'd imagine some of those are barely imaginable.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,811
    Do any of the pre WW1 rides count?

I'd imagine some of those are barely imaginable.

yeah but they mechanically doped by using the train.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • "Pre-race favourite Alexandre Vinokourov tested positive for blood doping after winning Saturday's time-trial stage of the Tour de France."

2007 so really, that was a lot like what happened in 2006.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_s ... 914301.stm

Phil Ligget was saying "This is unbelievable" and it caught my eye, I suspected something could have been up.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Vino: "There's an enormous amount of blood in my thighs" :roll:
  • Pantani at Oropa.

Mechanical at the foot of the climb giving the peloton a couple of hundred mtetres head start, then passed the lot over the course of the climb and won un uomo solo, as they say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-J2bIsPDH8

Pure theatre.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,811
    Pantani at Oropa.

Mechanical at the foot of the climb giving the peloton a couple of hundred mtetres head start, then passed the lot over the course of the climb and won un uomo solo, as they say.

Pure theatre.

good one
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    Emanuele Sella at the 2008 Giro, a truly fantastic performance.....................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-gujrhDSnw&feature=related
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    Not in quite the same category as many here. Vino's win on stage 13 of the tour this year, after pacing astana the day before, and being in an all day break the day before that. I mean, come on, be a bit more subtle in your first year back!
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Pantani at Oropa.

Pure theatre.

Jeeez - not sure if I saw that the first time round... Superhuman or what !
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    2006 Giro, 2nd to last stage into Aprica, when Basso simply rode Gibo off his wheel on a steady incline into Aprica. A true display of strength at the back end of a seven hour stage and a three week grand tour. At the time I was in awe.

And he went on to win by over 9 mins. And while we're on it, remember the Buffalo ??? He got 2nd and a place on the podium in Milan

6 weeks later Puerto broke. The rest as they say........
  • cougie wrote:
    Pantani at Oropa.

Pure theatre.

Jeeez - not sure if I saw that the first time round... Superhuman or what !

I was transferring the 99 Giro from VHS to DVD a while ago and was watching this stage. I had forgotten how fantastic the end was.
    You might have had a response from a pro cyclist on Twitter, you may even have chatted to a 'journo', but ultimately, you still know nothing. You're not an insider, no matter how much you wish you are.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    incog24 wrote:
    Not in quite the same category as many here. Vino's win on stage 13 of the tour this year, after pacing astana the day before, and being in an all day break the day before that. I mean, come on, be a bit more subtle in your first year back!

Yeah, this was a :shock: for me too. Awfully strong that week wasn't he?

Strava is not Zen.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    I've often wondered about Roche clawing back Delgado on La Plagne in 87. A monumental ride. Roche coming over the line frothing at the mouth and then collapsing on his bike... As a teenager it was hugely inspirational. As an old cynic....

That description sounds like the way i finished the La Plagne climb this summer and all i was doing was energy drink :oops:

I have wondered about this before, the miraculous recovery towards the end. One thing that doesnt get mentioned much though iis that he didnt sprint away from all the others. A guy called Denis Roux came over the line just behind him and looking back at the video of the stage seemed to be with him the whole way up. Another guy called Loro finished just behind and maybe he was part of the group too.

EDIT: Actually just looked into it more and Roche credits Loro and Roux with pacing him up the climb. Not saying that it was a clean ride but it helps me convince myself it was :)

http://www.podiumcafe.com/2010/9/17/169 ... -and-a-bit

(paragraphs 5 and 6 of the quoted bit)